Author Topic: Mets & Angels GMs canned  (Read 12954 times)

Dan Wood

Re: Mets & Angels GMs canned
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2011, 01:33:13 PM »
I too would like to voice my opinion, and this really has nothing to do with anything but maybe a few nuggets of truth will slip out. The reason why Colby and I wanted to do this was to make two teams attractive to perspective owners. I wanted to do it, because I wanted to take over the Mets, but not in their current state. Some of you may feel that the talent distribution was lopsided if what was proposed went through. Even I argued that it would be difficult to get a talent match to accomplish what Colby and I had hoped, and keep the rest of the league happy. I backed out because really  it wasn't going to happen. Too many concessions were going to have to be made by myself and everyone in the league. Despite some of the arguments, I was leaving a lot of talent behind in Cincy, to head to Queens, even with the guys I wanted to take.

That being said, I think we can now see the importance of the TC, and that it isn't always collusion that should be considered when a deal is vetoed. The Mets have had 1 good GM out of 3 since I have been a part of this league. Many took advantage of a single poor GM (I won't name names, but it has something to do with a dude that was lazy), and that correlates to the current state of the team, and the better state of several other teams. I think sometimes the GM needs to be protected from themselves. Even the most recent GM, in his limited time, traded his best, closest to the majors prospect for a 30 something OF with an 18 million dollar salary.

In my opinion I think we need more explanation for some trades, I think we need to be more strict when evaluating trades, and I think we need an NL President and an AL President, to act as a police force in a way. The reason for that is because, we all know that the main people who watch this site in an authoritative manner are myself, Jake, Corey, and Colby... and all of us are busy with other things outside of this league.

If you look at Colby's or Jake's power rankings you have about 18 teams that are well constructed and several that are going to need creative GMs, because of the poor job the person before them did. I have also brought this up before, but several teams have/ had distinct advantages by being active when no one else was. What I am getting at is, if we want this league to succeed we are all going to need to be more involved, or it is going to be the same top teams year after year after year, and the same bottom dwellers cycling through owners over and over. It will then become a 15 team league and not a 30 team league. This is a difficult league, and it asks for a lot more knowledge from it's owner than your standard fare. And I think we need to make that clear to anyone that enters the league from this moment forward, or to anyone that some may think are half butting it currently.

Again, just my two cents, I could be completely wrong, my wife tells me this all the time, but what does she know? She married me.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bravesfan4

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »
I agree with you Dan on many levels. More explanation on trades is needed and maybe a little stricter voting is a good idea. In my opinion the Mets arent in that bad of shape....Very good youth. the Pads and Angels are just rediculous awful. With that said those two teams have good gms who can turn it around. A good Mets GM and were gona be in business.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MillerTime

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2011, 01:54:46 PM »
As long as the league lays down the rules for the TC, it will get voted on that way.  There is always the option of each GM having to vote on a trade and a certain % to pass.

I do not believe that the Mets are very bad shape at all.  Two bad contracts and one I believe that Wells was acquired to get rid of Santana or Sabathia, not so great contracts, Lackey is not very good at all.  A little imagination and this team can set itself up for success, trade Carp to a contender, get several pieces.  Trade Harper for a big major league piece or keep him for the future.  Package a few specs for some key pieces.  Beltran, Castillo, and a few others come off the books this year.  Maybe Beltran could even have some value. 

Now the Angels, Dave has his work cut out for him.  Old team, no cap room and just not good contracts to trade.  No Farm.   
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' - Homer Simpson

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2011, 02:19:39 PM »
Lesson learned?  Perhaps we put some new guidelines for the TC to make sure a trade correlates with he direction of a franchise and its needs?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Dan Wood

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2011, 02:38:46 PM »
Lesson learned?  Perhaps we put some new guidelines for the TC to make sure a trade correlates with he direction of a franchise and its needs?

:iatp:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2011, 02:53:26 PM »
I am always leary of giving TC too much power. I think a better solution would be to make sure all new owners are knowledgable (this can be demonstrated by history in other ProFSL leagues, or a member of FGM actually knowing the person and his track record) and not just some random person off an ESPN message board.

Even if TC protects an owner from make stupid trades, a GM can still destroy a team quickly by signing bad players to long term contracts and not picking any good players in season (Baltimore anymore?)

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2011, 02:59:21 PM »
I volunteer to be the AL President if Colby and/or the league decides that the position would be of benefit.  One thing I would propose in such a role is that all team have the ability to field a nearly full team roster.  That doesn't mean that you have to fill every possible pitching spot, but I wouldn't expect to see a team like the Mets where they have only 4-5 pitchers.  I understand that teams want to have cap flexibility in the future, but Crap-canning the present for the hope of a brighter future would not be allowed.  I would expect all teams to at least make a good-hearted attempt to plug some holes in the present through free agency if trades did not materialize.  The Mets are sitting on 47M that could easily have been utilized this past off-season by signing some bargain free agents without jeopardizing their cap space in the future.

I could also weigh in on trades if the league wants to give the league Presidents a voice in such matters.

This is all up to you guys, but I wanted to throw it out there, because I really like this league and want it to thrive in the long-term.

Roy

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2011, 03:08:38 PM »
I am thinking as I am typing, and this idea could totally not make sense, but what I act as the interim manager of the Mets? There could be an oversight committee to make sure I am acting in the best interest of the Mets (obviously I am not trading with myself) and I will disclose the rationale behind all Mets transactions. If I win this year with COL, I will relinquish COL and become a full time Mets Gm.

I am pretty qualified at working with bad teams - I took over the Pirates in a 16 team NL league 9 years ago, going for championship #4 this year.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MillerTime

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2011, 03:09:15 PM »
I volunteer to be the AL President if Colby and/or the league decides that the position would be of benefit.  One thing I would propose in such a role is that all team have the ability to field a nearly full team roster.  That doesn't mean that you have to fill every possible pitching spot, but I wouldn't expect to see a team like the Mets where they have only 4-5 pitchers.  I understand that teams want to have cap flexibility in the future, but crap-canning the present for the hope of a brighter future would not be allowed.  I would expect all teams to at least make a good-hearted attempt to plug some holes in the present through free agency if trades did not materialize.  The Mets are sitting on 47M that could easily have been utilized this past off-season by signing some bargain free agents without jeopardizing their cap space in the future.

I could also weigh in on trades if the league wants to give the league Presidents a voice in such matters.

This is all up to you guys, but I wanted to throw it out there, because I really like this league and want it to thrive in the long-term.

Roy

I do not like taking the power to control away from a GM.  The concept above is already being covered as well.  Since the GM of the Mets did not do anything over the offseason and had plenty of $ to fill holes, HE WAS FIRED.  We don't need more oversight than that. 

If more oversight is given and we start allowing and not allowing certain things, then GMs won't stay.  DME is a great example of this type of league.  There are new GMs every day it seems and most of the core managers on this site are not in that league.  Now there is very little action at all in that league, that is not the only issue, but it is a contributing issue. 

Once that occurs, FGM loses it's foundation, what it is built on., the Reason that it is the league that we all stay in and identify as the best league on the site. 

Please be careful with messing with something that is working.  We are addressing the rare case, maybe 3 or 4 franchises are in this situation, don't ruin a league over the minority.  If we get good GMs for the spots, it will resolve itself.   
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' - Homer Simpson

Offline MillerTime

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2011, 03:11:31 PM »
I am thinking as I am typing, and this idea could totally not make sense, but what I act as the interim manager of the Mets? There could be an oversight committee to make sure I am acting in the best interest of the Mets (obviously I am not trading with myself) and I will disclose the rationale behind all Mets transactions. If I win this year with COL, I will relinquish COL and become a full time Mets Gm.

I am pretty qualified at working with bad teams - I took over the Pirates in a 16 team NL league 9 years ago, going for championship #4 this year.

Can't have a GM for two teams, this is not functional and has as many problems with it as Dan taking his players to the Mets.  The solution is to find a good GM, the Mets are not in that bad of shape. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • IndianaBuc: Braves PM
    Yesterday at 03:04:47 PM
  • Braves155: Back
    Yesterday at 03:10:34 PM
  • IndianaBuc: Back
    Yesterday at 03:19:17 PM
  • Daddy: Better be glad Buc dont know hockey. He'd be IndianaPuc on yall asses.
    Yesterday at 03:54:00 PM
  • Braves155: Speaking of NHL. Anyone up for an NHL LIVE deal?
    Yesterday at 04:05:16 PM
  • Braves155: PM Blues
    Yesterday at 04:07:53 PM
  • Brent: I am.  I read up on stuff today, I think I have a direction for my Predators.
    Yesterday at 04:23:17 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Im here for NFL Live. I get the trade itch every day but ive been suppressing it. Waiting for someone to make me submit to the madness again
    Yesterday at 04:48:32 PM
  • Braves155: Pm there buddy
    Yesterday at 04:53:17 PM
  • Braves155: PM as well dbreer
    Yesterday at 04:58:57 PM
  • dbreer23: replied Braves
    Yesterday at 05:10:11 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: PM Braves
    Yesterday at 05:31:50 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey guys whats up
    Yesterday at 05:31:53 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: NHL LIVE FOLKS sharks have zadina otb any interest message me ask is prospects and picks
    Yesterday at 05:32:27 PM
  • indiansnation: Lets talk trade
    Yesterday at 05:32:30 PM
  • indiansnation: Indians mlb live looking to trade
    Yesterday at 05:37:05 PM
  • indiansnation: Nfl live colts looking for starting rb
    Yesterday at 05:37:24 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Yesterday at 05:38:39 PM
  • indiansnation: ldsjayhawks pm
    Yesterday at 05:38:48 PM
  • Daddy: Oh Crap. Trade winds blowing like P Diddy sponsored them.
    Yesterday at 05:45:23 PM
  • Daddy: Flyers, Rams, Blue Jays, 76ers have responded to all inquiries. Not that my inbox gets flooded with offers. My teams all stink.
    Yesterday at 05:47:35 PM
  • Daddy: T Wolves loaded but its too early yet. Cant wait for NBA.
    Yesterday at 05:49:02 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Yesterday at 07:25:36 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy pm
    Yesterday at 07:28:41 PM
  • Daddy: Back Brian
    Yesterday at 07:39:44 PM
  • indiansnation: Back daddy
    Yesterday at 07:47:43 PM
  • Daddy: I want to trade in NBA LIVE too. Its just the baby stages and we dont even know the summer player movement yet. Rosters will look different by the time of the draft.
    Yesterday at 07:54:55 PM
  • Daddy: Its exciting. Only CCD remains active in basketball. Ive seen LOR fail here but get picked up elsewhere and i guess its ok.
    Yesterday at 07:56:11 PM
  • Daddy: They all pretty much use the same format. NBA LIVE we feel weve revolutionized todays Dynasty basketball standards.
    Yesterday at 07:57:00 PM
  • Daddy: Cant wait to trade but weve got 11 owners to find and an entire summer of movement to track.
    Yesterday at 07:58:52 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm offer sent
    Yesterday at 07:58:55 PM
  • Daddy: Lots of traffic onsite. Weve been near 1000 visitors all day. Im told they find out chat entertaining. Thats funny. If you are visiting and see this chat.
    Yesterday at 08:02:20 PM
  • Daddy: Welcome to ProFsl. We do Fantasy "Dynasty" Sports here & we do it better than anyone else.
    Yesterday at 08:03:08 PM
  • Daddy: Better than your site. Better than your Leagues. Better than anyone else ever cared to do it. Legends of dynasty sports have and continue to play here
    Yesterday at 08:04:12 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 post it
    Yesterday at 08:11:03 PM
  • Daddy: If you like fantasy sports but all you do is read the chat. You got no clue what you are missing out on.
    Yesterday at 08:13:21 PM
  • Daddy: We are why you bothered to try fantasy sports. We give you everything you need here to live out your dynastic fantasy dreams. Against real world wide competition.
    Yesterday at 08:14:32 PM
  • Braves155: Nice dealing Brian, posted
    Yesterday at 08:22:53 PM
  • indiansnation: Still looking to make trades in mlb live if anyone is up for it
    Yesterday at 11:45:44 PM
  • Daddy: Im looking for an SP. We all value pitching in LIVE.
    Today at 12:01:51 AM
  • Daddy: Bradish! :soapbox: your elbow may cost me everything.
    Today at 12:02:55 AM
  • indiansnation: Man thats gotta suck
    Today at 12:41:47 AM
  • indiansnation: i think i mentioned that to u daddy u lack debth in sp
    Today at 12:42:27 AM
  • indiansnation: Looking to trade in mlb live
    Today at 12:45:05 AM
  • Daddy: Shut up Brian
    Today at 01:32:49 AM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for a few hours for any trade talk
    Today at 02:15:20 AM
  • indiansnation: Happy fathers day
    Today at 07:26:56 AM
  • indiansnation: Morning dave w jimw
    Today at 08:22:53 AM
  • indiansnation: Nhllive pittsburgh has 5th rd pick and 4th rd pick in 2025 to move
    Today at 08:23:54 AM
  • indiansnation: Looking for guys with upside def and rw
    Today at 08:24:28 AM