Author Topic: Mets & Angels GMs canned  (Read 12674 times)

joeshmoe

Re: Mets & Angels GMs canned
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2011, 09:55:34 PM »
I would venture to say turnover is not just infrequent, but decreasing.  It's hard to get enough good owners for a full MLB league, but we've been filling teams with quality owners over time and the good ones seem to stick around.

yup  :iatp:

take the Padres for example.  I am here for a long time (good for the organization or not).  But before me there were some Bad GM's!  At least it seems that way? I really wasn't here to know how my team got into that position.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr.TradeKing

« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2011, 10:08:47 PM »
I think FGM is a privilege not a right.  I think we should mandate that new members be inhouse vets in one league here at ProFSL...no outside recommendations.
Well, then I would have never been apart of this league, and if I am not mistaken you wouldn't be apart either of it either...

~MTK
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2011, 10:32:35 PM »
Well, then I would have never been apart of this league, and if I am not mistaken you wouldn't be apart either of it either...

~MTK

Agreed..unfortunately the open door policy has led to the destruction of several teams as well.  At this point in the game I believe this league should screen its applicants for best of the best.  Best could have a different definition between us and maybe I should clarify.  Best to me would be based upon activity; consistency and longevity would be ideal.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2011, 11:19:32 PM »
I was an outsider. I just happened to come across one of Colb's postings on Yahoo. He checked my profile, and I had a rather successful run as a GM in public leagues. Roy and Kris are both in this league because I thought they would be good fits. I have suggested to other people to join the league but it is too much for them to handle. This league is not for everyone. I think anyone should be considered regardless of if they have played on Profsl or not. I just think they need to have a modicum of success to back it up. One of the better tell tale signs if if they stuck with a one year league or bailed when they realized their team was terrible. I think that has happened several times here, where a GM has committed to a plan, it didn't work, and they stopped showing up (Mariners). It is hard when there aren't any useful players are the waiver wire, and it can also be disheartening to be in charge of a franchise, or take over a franchise that looks to be going nowhere. A lot of you have said the Mets are in good shape. This is true, if we played A ball games. But we don't, on a MLB level that GM is going to have to swallow his pride for a year or two for a payoff that may never come. But this is all because of one person, so yes I think we do need some sort of watchdog system to insure the integrity of the league. What happens when we get bad GMs is that a team because less valuable to the next person.

I think we want outsiders because to be honest, most of the leagues I am in, I am playing against the same people over and over. It's great that this site is expanding, but if it is 30 guys in 8 different leagues, then it really isn't (I am exaggerating of course), but I think we need to start going out of house to start filling vacancies. Then maybe we can start having FGM 2, FGM 3 etc...

And Chris to answer your question, the guy who had the Padres, bid on two players, won them, never showed up again, you can thank him for Branyan and Cameron. The guy who had the Reds before me did nada - didn't even attempt to get Drew Stubbs - he was a Pirate (that period when there was 6 active GMs shopping from the Baseball America Christmas list). The Rangers guy never bid on any of his prospects. A lot of team started without their top prospects, who are now in the major leagues. So a good majority were starting short handed, some of us just did a better job than others with what we had. You know, the people still hanging around.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2011, 11:35:53 PM »
And Chris to answer your question, the guy who had the Padres, bid on two players, won them, never showed up again, you can thank him for Branyan and Cameron. The guy who had the Reds before me did nada - didn't even attempt to get Drew Stubbs - he was a Pirate (that period when there was 6 active GMs shopping from the Baseball America Christmas list). The Rangers guy never bid on any of his prospects. A lot of team started without their top prospects, who are now in the major leagues. So a good majority were starting short handed, some of us just did a better job than others with what we had. You know, the people still hanging around.

howd peavy get 14m per?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2011, 11:39:28 PM »
That was his real life contract... seriously... he used to be really good... seriously
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2011, 11:41:31 PM »
That was his real life contract... seriously... he used to be really good... seriously

Oh I remember when he was with the Padres...thank god it wasnt a contract given out!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MillerTime

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2011, 10:43:29 AM »
The Mets are in good shape because the team is not mortgaged to the limit with bad contracts and they have a decent farm.

They not competitive, but a new gm has a good canvas to work with.  It will take some work.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' - Homer Simpson

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2011, 11:18:35 AM »
The Mets are in good shape because the team is not mortgaged to the limit with bad contracts and they have a decent farm.

They not competitive, but a new gm has a good canvas to work with.  It will take some work.

Exactly, we just need the right GM who is willing to wait it out.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

lp815

« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2011, 11:50:48 AM »
We may have two recommendations for bigbenxl786.  We are at the point where we agree that the overhaul needs to be made to the hiring process.  Some collective ideas...

• Having guys on the waiting list is one thing, but we need at least three recommendations from members in FGM.
  • Instead of a two-week no moves period, have a moves review period not for an extended time, but for a certain amount of moves such as the first 10 drops, 5 trades, 5 FA bids as well as the first three extensions.  It may be a bit excessive, but we could track this in a GM watch post in the transactions board.  The post would have that members' ProFSL name.  Members of the EC, in addition to the TC (for trades), will review the moves to make sure they are for the good of the franchise and that the new GM understands the rules.
  • We could always not allow a team to trade a Type A/B FA or a top 100 prospect, but that may be too much tracking.  A general dedicated review may be better.

In part two, I sort of cringe when I read "to make sure they are for the good of the franchise".  I'm a firm believer that if a team has a plan, they should be allowed to go through with it.  Trading, let's say, Ryan Braun for Bryce Harper may seem like the guy/gal acquiring Harper isn't doing what's best for the franchise, but who, outside of said guy/gal, is in a position to make such a claim?  I would like to think that all of the transactions I have made on my team were in the best interest of my franchise, and I'm sure each and every one of you would feel the same.  So if we could stress the "understands the rules" part of that, I'd be much more comfortable about setting something like this up, because in my opinion, questionable transactions are made when a GM doesn't fully understand the consequences of his moves, not because he doesn't know what's best for his team.

In regards to the recruitment of new GM's, my opinion is simple, and falls in line with Colby's overall logic with the site: we want new members.  Great sites aren't formed because 30 guys grab each other's butts in a few leagues.  Our site will not grow if we continue to have the same group of players every time.  Just because a guy plays a few dynasties leagues here on ProFSL, doesn't mean another guy is just as capable of playing in one of our dynasty leagues because he plays elsewhere.  Having a stricter recruitment process by knowing what other leagues/sites a prospective GM has played on would help immensely.  Recommendations are also ok, whether they be from ProFSL members, or even members from other sites.  You can't get a job in the real world without a criminal background check (mostly), so why shouldn't we delve into 'fantasy history' checks?  Yahoo, ESPN, fantrax, CBS, Foxsports....I think many sites offer some sort of history.  Dan even stated that is how Colby determined his signing.  If we were to go back to that logic, instead of the logic of 'he's in 3 ProFSL leagues, he should fit", I think we'd have very little issue with new GM's.

In regards to future trades have more disclosure from the trading parties, I would be in support of that, but most GM's do a good job of that anyway.  Very few trades have a trading party state 'I like the guy' as his reason of acquiring him. 

Overall, I think the league is in good shape.  The reason there is such a disparity between the great teams and bad teams is 1) poor management by bad GM's for the bad teams(which can easily be resolved with better GM's) and 2) the great teams snatching up many great prospects (a.k.a. trade pieces) at the start of the league (which will resolve itself over the next few seasons, as bad teams get better farms, GM's, etc.).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Jwalkerjr88: Same
    Yesterday at 03:50:50 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Yes daddy well said mental health should be talked about more
    Yesterday at 04:18:01 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: It really puts things into perspective
    Yesterday at 04:19:39 PM
  • Psychpop: @STLBlues91.  Who are you thinking of moving in a trade?
    Yesterday at 05:13:46 PM
  • Braves155: Looking to deal in any sport
    Yesterday at 05:18:11 PM
  • Braves155: PM Jwalker
    Yesterday at 05:19:33 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Back braves
    Yesterday at 05:24:45 PM
  • Braves155: Replied
    Yesterday at 05:29:09 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: jwalker pm
    Yesterday at 06:02:59 PM
  • Daddy: What two LIVE GMs will make the next deal? One thing i know for sure, the wait wont be long.
    Yesterday at 06:04:01 PM
  • Braves155: They like to come in bunches!
    Yesterday at 06:05:09 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: you might get one shortly if things progress
    Yesterday at 06:06:09 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: jwalker replied
    Yesterday at 06:19:35 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Back BAB
    Yesterday at 06:33:24 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: back at ya jwalker
    Yesterday at 06:34:01 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Daddy your wwait wont me much longer
    Yesterday at 07:39:35 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: deal abt to be posted here soon
    Yesterday at 07:39:43 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: there u have it teh 2 superbowl teams have made a deal
    Yesterday at 07:48:33 PM
  • Rhino7: :toast:
    Yesterday at 07:50:49 PM
  • dbreer23: Acuna to miss the rest of 2024 - torn ACL in left knee (last time was his right knee0
    Yesterday at 11:41:43 PM
  • jimw: Wow, he had said he thought it wasn't that serious.  I hope he can overcome these knee injuries
    Today at 12:41:59 AM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Jimw pm sent
    Today at 01:17:16 AM
  • STLBlues91: im around the rest of the day
    Today at 03:08:45 PM
  • Daddy: Acuna fantasy owners world round didn't want to hear that. Not sure who has him in LIVE but its universally devastating news for Acuna fans.
    Today at 03:30:59 PM
  • Daddy: Anyone feeling down, can perk up because the Philadelphia Phillies are good at baseball.
    Today at 03:32:54 PM
  • Daddy: I feel better already.
    Today at 03:33:50 PM
  • indiansnation: Good afternoon all
    Today at 04:00:17 PM
  • indiansnation: It is 3:20pm and the phillies still suck.
    Today at 04:17:18 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i hope phillies choke this lead
    Today at 07:34:08 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Ask and I shall receive way to go giants
    Today at 07:47:52 PM
  • Daddy: Playing Cleveland this week... I will catch SF later.
    Today at 08:13:52 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: srry daddy as a giants fan we needed to win this game vs yall
    Today at 08:24:12 PM
  • Daddy: Ditto LIVE. Youre in a remarkable battle. Revenge to me comes in whatever way i can get it. :rofl:
    Today at 08:29:05 PM
  • Daddy: Hockey is coming. A new battlefield.
    Today at 08:30:53 PM
  • Daddy: Who wants my picks? :rofl:
    Today at 08:31:23 PM
  • indiansnation: I want your hockey picks
    Today at 08:46:56 PM
  • Daddy: I would only trade them to LA and LA has no current profsl owner.
    Today at 08:48:11 PM
  • Daddy: Some outside talent dont like the site by looks alone and we are very manual. Its an acquired taste.
    Today at 08:50:10 PM
  • indiansnation: U suck lol
    Today at 08:50:39 PM
  • Daddy: On site hockey talent are "get off my lawn" types that aren't interested in seeing what all the fuss is about. And Brian we can talk but i dont want Grandpa Sid.
    Today at 08:52:29 PM
  • Daddy: Edmonton could get my picks
    Today at 08:53:05 PM
  • Daddy: He talking McDavid type talk. Me like Connor.
    Today at 08:53:34 PM
  • Daddy: All those junior hockey dudes we looked up and put on yalls rosters. I dont know them dudes. I might cut half them jokers.
    Today at 08:56:49 PM
  • Daddy: Ive learned more about global hockey in the last 3 months than i knew my entire life. My brains are scrambled. STLBlues91- brains are scrambled. Fried man.
    Today at 08:58:38 PM
  • Daddy: On to Basketball :)
    Today at 08:59:13 PM
  • Daddy: You have an NHL team. An AHL team. And a 50 player Junior league development squad. In a legit 30 Category dynasty hockey contract league.
    Today at 09:02:09 PM
  • Daddy: Youve never seen anything like that. Nobody has ever seen anything like that. Not in Dynasty hockey. You're welcome. ;)
    Today at 09:03:16 PM
  • Daddy: Franchise? That's what a Franchise looks like.
    Today at 09:07:12 PM
  • STLBlues91: Working on the matching now between spreadsheet/fantrax. My head hurts but got about 12 of them fully done and believe they are 100% good to go. Taking a dinner break and back to plugging in info
    Today at 09:15:38 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be back in 20 minutes all pms have been answered
    Today at 09:18:31 PM