Author Topic: Mets & Angels GMs canned  (Read 12652 times)

Canada8999

Re: Mets & Angels GMs canned
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2011, 10:52:17 AM »
Great ideas people... I like them all.  Having a new GM state their plan in detail is key.  It is my fault that I hired incapacity GMs just to fill sptits.  Roy and Jake bring a good point about roster filling.  Realistically, we should be fielding rosters with a legitimate amount of position players and pitchers at the major league level.  Is horsing minor leaguers good for the future?  Probably, but it is unrealistic.  One thing I thought about doing when I set up this league was have a 25 man major league roster.  You could control it through eligibility in the official roster but it gets messy in Fantrax.  We have total rosters at 50 going to 55 by the draft this year and then 60.  This leaves room for 25 to 35 minor leaguers....

Keep in mind that over time, a larger and larger portion of rosterable prospects will be on people's EDR as we draft the good ones and the current non-EDR prospects graduate or fall out of baseball.  We won't have as large of a pool of free agent prospects, and roster space will ultimately be used on MLB reserve players (naturally resolving the issue at hand).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2011, 11:50:16 AM »
Perhaps the mandatory roster filling is not something we should do.  As I said, it creates a mess in the league.  It's all about filling the right spots.  Let's not be hasty with filling GM slots.  I know Dave Martin is a great replacement for a horrible Angels franchise.  I have a couple candidates for Mets GMs.  We can see what plan Jason (bigbenxl786) may have as well.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Offline MillerTime

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2011, 12:35:43 PM »
I am against mandatory starting rosters, it can stunt a teams growth.  A teams future SP prospect that would start for the next 10 years would be traded for Matt Treanor, just an example. Then he loses his job and the team trades another future piece for Jason Kendall, all to meet a restricting requirement.  Each manager should be allowed to have their own vision.   

The league is fine, need better GM's.  The deposit idea was pretty good.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' - Homer Simpson

Online BHows

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :CIN-NFL:
    • :Kentucky:
    • :CIN:
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2011, 01:39:57 PM »
I'm dead against mandatory rosters. One GM cannot dictate to another how to run their team. I'll cite Rob's examples as reasons why.
Perhaps the new GM candidates need to put detailed forth a plan to make the Mets relevant again? The powers that be should be able to look at those plans and see if the person is qualified.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2022 WCB2 Champions

Dan Wood

« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2011, 02:42:38 PM »
I agree, a GM shouldn't be forced to fill up his roster, but I don't think it is too much to ask to have 8 MLB regulars. And by regulars I mean guys who project to have 400 ABs plus. Buying or trading for back ups or part time players isn't that expensive, and won't impede picking up fringe prospects(all the good ones are gone), who chances are will be dropped before the rosters are updated. That being said, when push comes to shove, if a team is out of it, they will just end up trading those guys for better prospects than what is available in free agency. And who knows sometimes you get lucky with the part timers and they end up being decent. Marcus Thames and Brett Gardner are prime examples of two players last year.

In honesty I think we can all agree that we just want someone to care for their franchise, show in a little pride in what they are putting together, and have some concept of who and why they are trading. You know the opposite of Tony Reagins. In other words, just be effing smart, and don't trade away David Wright for a pile of fossils.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2011, 11:27:05 AM »
Okay, I think the recruiting method for leagues at ProFSL is backwards.  The idea has been that leagues like FGM would have low turnover, and when they need to replace a GM, there would be plenty of internal candidates on ProFSL.  However, we have seen many of these guys flake out and join too many leagues here.  Weaker leagues get even worse.  Perhaps, we should treat it the other way around.  Have some competition with our own waiting list by posting about the open slots in our best leagues.  Consider it trickledown recruiting from the best leagues on the site.  I posted on the Cafe and Yahoo and received two emails over the past day...

If you havent filled the spot I am very interested. I am in a league with 30 players, and a 10 player minor league. I really want to play in this league, sounds fun, and I know how to rebuild a team from the minors, as all I do is look at baseball prospectus, baseball america, and fangraphs.
Hit me up if I could join.
Luke Williams

Luke just signed up as WamCo and PM'ed me per my request.  He has the experience and the minor league focus.  He appears to be a top candidate.

Hi. I saw your post on the fantsy baseball message board, and I am interested. I am regesterd on the website, but I have never been involed in a league on the website. I play fantasy sports on Yahoo. I like building teams from the ground up, as it gives you the total GM experience. The Mets are one of my favourite teams, and I love the deep roster idea. If this spot is still open, I would love to join. 

Alex is a Mets fan, but he does not have the experience.  I will try to see if we can get him involved somewhere else and put him on the waiting list.

We also have Jason (bigbenxl786), but he is in several leagues here (AGM included) and has a negative rating.  The Mets may not be for him.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

bravesfan4

« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2011, 11:59:29 AM »
Okay, I think the recruiting method for leagues at ProFSL is backwards.  The idea has been that leagues like FGM would have low turnover, and when they need to replace a GM, there would be plenty of internal candidates on ProFSL.  However, we have seen many of these guys flake out and join too many leagues here.  Weaker leagues get even worse.  Perhaps, we should treat it the other way around.  Have some competition with our own waiting list by posting about the open slots in our best leagues.  Consider it trickledown recruiting from the best leagues on the site.  I posted on the Cafe and Yahoo and received two emails over the past day...

Luke just signed up as WamCo and PM'ed me per my request.  He has the experience and the minor league focus.  He appears to be a top candidate.

Sounds like a great fit to me. :koolaid:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Online BHows

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :CIN-NFL:
    • :Kentucky:
    • :CIN:
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2011, 12:24:21 PM »
As long as you're confident in him; he sounds like a great candidate. After all the Mets aren't exactly in complete shambles. There is a good farm and $47m in wiggle room.
I would suggest that any candidate put together their thoughts on how they would go about rebuilding the team. Just so we are sure that the candidate knows the rules and understands the concept of the league.
Just my thoughts
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2022 WCB2 Champions

bravesfan4

« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2011, 12:35:43 PM »
Good idea Rick. I agree.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2011, 09:06:52 PM »
What if we create a minor leagues for prospective FGM owners?  The idea being prospective owners can take on a team in this league while they're on the waiting list.  If they're active, responsible and savvy owners, they'll be on the short-list next time there's an opening and we'll have a real track record to evaluate them by (we can even hold a league vote, if people want to).  If they're not committed or not experienced enough, that should become apparent over time (or maybe they'll leave) and they won't get a chance to ruin an FGM team before getting fired.

The league can be similar in structure, but maybe only 8-10 teams, and we'd setup rules with the understanding that turnover will be a lot more significant than FGM (maybe skip the draft, simplify free agency, etc.).  I'd think we'd need at least 4-6 active owners to give them some chance to work, so there's definitely a minimum to make it feasible (if we don't have a full waiting list, maybe current owners can volunteer backfill and get first hand experience on the prospective owners, perhaps on a rotating basis)

Thoughts?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: We believe that even if you don't know a sport well, we provide the material, and enough guidance advice that any disadvantages are minimized. Hockey is one of the greatest sports of all time.
    May 21, 2024, 11:58:09 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: Brent should I put you on the waiting list for the next opening?
    Yesterday at 10:53:35 AM
  • Brent: Nah, I need to resist.  I built the team I wanted and decided to leave so that's on me.
    Yesterday at 11:28:04 AM
  • indiansnation: Is their a way i can lgo and check out prospects in nhl live and get statistics
    Yesterday at 01:02:05 PM
  • Daddy: We have the same prospects as real life. Same draft class coming in. You are loaded for Bear.
    Yesterday at 01:06:11 PM
  • Daddy: The contracts that expire in 2023. Are upcoming FA. We giving a chance to extend 6/1
    Yesterday at 01:08:31 PM
  • indiansnation: I finally looked at the minors and i got a 40 year old player in my minors
    Yesterday at 01:27:00 PM
  • Daddy: Did we put Sidney Crosby in your Juniors? Whats the resolution you seek?
    Yesterday at 01:57:39 PM
  • indiansnation: No resolution i just saw it. No rrsolution
    Yesterday at 05:49:02 PM
  • Daddy: Ok. You know you can cut anyone you want and with FROZEN FRENZY as well as the draft we all have a ton of moves to make.
    Yesterday at 06:11:32 PM
  • Daddy: Hockey players don't make what football, basketball, baseball players make. The cap is lower than other LIVE leagues.
    Yesterday at 06:13:00 PM
  • Daddy: NFL Teams in OTAs. Hockey & Baseball Drafts approach
    Yesterday at 06:14:26 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah when we were filling rosters we just included everyone we could since they can be cut. I will be cutting a chunk of guys once we start up
    Yesterday at 06:14:45 PM
  • Daddy: Trading too. Not just cutting. Virgin teams need diversified. Ive seen owners swap half of they're starting players to get diversified.
    Yesterday at 06:16:51 PM
  • Daddy: New leagues should be the most active because everyone has a ton of assets.
    Yesterday at 06:18:24 PM
  • Bigdon: Is there any openings in nfl.l8ve
    Yesterday at 11:09:21 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey bigdon if u looking to trade in mlb live let me know im guardians
    Yesterday at 11:24:50 PM
  • Bigdon: Well listen to all offers I need team in nfl live I am in all other leagues
    Yesterday at 11:31:05 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon pm sent u trade offer in mlb live
    Yesterday at 11:55:00 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon sent u new pm with new trade offer
    Today at 12:08:07 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon ill post trade right know
    Today at 12:13:33 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon trade posted in mlb live
    Today at 12:24:42 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: bigdon sent ya a message also i dont think nfl has any openings rn
    Today at 12:31:00 AM
  • indiansnation: Bayarea Ballers pm about giants in mlb live
    Today at 12:32:31 AM
  • Brent: Angels looking for a power bat in MLB Live.
    Today at 07:17:38 AM
  • Daddy: When i started on profsl in 2010 my first league i had to pay $45 for the Milwaukee Brewers in a start up league called SD.
    Today at 10:45:05 AM
  • Daddy: SD = Scouting Department
    Today at 10:45:26 AM
  • Daddy: Papps recruited me on our job. The only team available in a full and active money league.
    Today at 10:46:25 AM
  • Daddy: They vetoed my first 7 trade attempts. They publicly insulted me, calling me dumb, saying i should be kicked out the league because it was obvious i didnt know what i was doing.
    Today at 10:47:37 AM
  • Daddy: Im year 2 i won the championship and the prize pool. I would win it repeatedly afterwards.
    Today at 10:48:26 AM
  • Daddy: My Dad joined. Then these same fools said he was my burner account.
    Today at 10:48:56 AM
  • Daddy: When it was obvious he was someone else, they started saying we couldn't trade with each other or we were cheating.
    Today at 10:49:44 AM
  • Daddy: Profsl had a bunch of pencil dik crooks on it. All over the place. Corrupt LMs orchestrating trades to try to pre determine who won.
    Today at 10:50:57 AM
  • Daddy: To keep the money between "certain guys". That way it stayed in house and they just kept robbing fools.
    Today at 10:51:49 AM
  • Daddy: I created LIVE because LIVE is what those fake ass leagues were supposed to be.
    Today at 10:52:24 AM
  • Daddy: Real competition. Where your competition cant cheat ya and anyone that beats ya deserved to do so.
    Today at 10:53:15 AM
  • Daddy: All those bums & crooks & morons have either left profsl for good or they stay in the background, watching, and gossiping behind my back like a bunch of street corner hookers.
    Today at 10:54:41 AM
  • Daddy: Now all we do on profsl is play ball.
    Today at 10:55:51 AM
  • Daddy: How did i win a money league that they were cheating in? Because if you cheat, you still gotta be right about the players. They were smart at being crooks. Dumb at building teams.
    Today at 10:59:54 AM
  • OUDAN: I miss money dynasty lesgues
    Today at 11:27:47 AM
  • OUDAN: Ran correctly that is
    Today at 11:28:50 AM
  • Daddy: Agreed Dan. This site was popping 14 years ago with half ass product. Every league here today offers a unique top quality product.
    Today at 01:09:03 PM
  • Daddy: Upcoming $$$ league [link] Powerhouse Baseball @Alpha5 (LIVE moderator) LM.
    Today at 01:57:27 PM
  • OUDAN: Need a $$ basketball league badly
    Today at 02:58:32 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I finally finalized my first off-season trade in CCD
    Today at 03:17:54 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Trading away PJ washington
    Today at 03:18:02 PM
  • Daddy: @Dan Powerhouse is coming to all sports. 20 player redraft concept using LIVE style scoring.
    Today at 04:58:27 PM
  • Daddy: Powerhouse hockey 30 player & football 53 player redraft.... Basketball is 15 players i think but these are in concept stages except baseball. Powerhouse Baseball 2025 is coming.
    Today at 05:02:29 PM
  • Daddy: Powerhouse = $$$ & redraft.
    Today at 05:03:34 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE SS [link]
    Today at 06:25:27 PM