Author Topic: Mets & Angels GMs canned  (Read 12650 times)

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
Re: Mets & Angels GMs canned
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2011, 12:06:07 PM »
I hope you guys are right.  Just keep in mind that there is a big difference between bad and non-competitive.  The Mets have 3 starters out of 9 on offense and 5 out of 11 for pitching.  The new GM will have to be very creative in trades to be able to field a full team since starters at any position are almost non-existent at this point.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2011, 12:16:30 PM »

In regards to future trades have more disclosure from the trading parties, I would be in support of that, but most GM's do a good job of that anyway.  Very few trades have a trading party state 'I like the guy' as his reason of acquiring him. 

I've done this twice with the same guy... :winner:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MillerTime

• Legend
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2011, 12:32:12 PM »
I hope you guys are right.  Just keep in mind that there is a big difference between bad and non-competitive.  The Mets have 3 starters out of 9 on offense and 5 out of 11 for pitching.  The new GM will have to be very creative in trades to be able to field a full team since starters at any position are almost non-existent at this point.

Please note that the new GM is allowed not to field a full team, if they decide that is best for the Franchise.  Keeping the prospects and only playing 7 of 9 on offense may make sense.

Another thought for New GM's would be a written declaration or plan on what they believe they will do.  Maybe one two weeks in and allow revisions at 2 months in.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' - Homer Simpson

KDoc09

« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2011, 01:00:29 PM »
Just my two cents on the matter... first off, THANKS PAUL! I am trying haha. Secondly, when I returned to FGM a few months back, the Cubs and Mets were both available and in truth Dan initially approached me about returning to the league when the Mets job became vacant. The Mets are a far more appealing situation than the one I took over with the Cubs. That is an absolute fact. Yes they have a few bad contracts, but they have a large enough payroll to recover from such a thing, just as I have had the ability to survive having 60m in dead money on my roster. I'm not saying I am a playoff team- far from it, but I feel like I have at least made a few moves and I have my roster headed in the right direction. Perhaps a good off-season and I may just be right in the thick of it in the brutal NL Central. It can be done and I don't think more oversight is the problem. I think it's just a matter of finding a person who's skills suit the Mets. Just because someone is a quality fantasy player, doesn't mean that they are an absolute fit for the Mets. I think maybe that's where the focus needs to be. Not only should a person have to state why they are qualified to be in the league, but maybe they should have to come in with some kind of plan that the EC needs to approve. That would surely be accomplished if the probationary period was longer.

The fact of the matter is, Dan was right when he said that some owners had the luxury of padding their roster with prospects early on. This allowed them to peddle said prospects to eager owners looking to put a stamp on their roster for quality players. Coupled with the fact that many owners saw the opportunity to take advantage of some of the weaker owners this created the situation that many of the franchises are in today. Not taking shots, just stating the facts. Everyone in this league talks about doing what is best for FGM, and I believe that is what we all want, but there are some who have not always walked the walk when it comes to trades, signings, etc. I'm sure that some of the very people who have commented on this board will be the first ones to try and pry Harper away from the Mets once a new GM is signed. I think personal accountability is what we need from everyone.

That being said, the Mets are far from broken, and I think they could be turned around rather quickly with the proper owner in place.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr.TradeKing

« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2011, 01:21:03 PM »
I agree with you Kris, but I do not believe too many owners have been taken advantage via trades due solely to the fact that the TC has vetoed bad trades in the past. There is an eventual winner and loser to every trade and that is what makes it risky. Just because you are on the losing end of the deal doesn't mean you were taken advantage of, but rather lost your gamble (bad luck). I don't see a problem with wanting Harper (who doesn't?) and going after him. I know I wont because he is too expensive for me, but if the trade were to help the Mets out in any one of the various ways they need help then I would actually like to see the trade done.

~MTK
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2011, 01:41:09 PM »
But we still let trades like this go through (not picking on you Colby, it was just the most recent in memory)

:PIT: receives
MI Drew, Stephen, $7m (2012)

:CHC: receives
SP Correia, Kevin, $1.5m (2011)
SP Bannister, Brian, $1m (2011)
SP Moskos, Daniel, $0.5m (P-n/a)
RP Runzler, Dan, $5m (2011) + $4.5m in 2010 from Angels
CI Kotchman, Casey, $5.5m (2013) + $3m in 2010 from Blue Jays
CI Tracy, Chad Samuel, $0.5m (P-n/a)
CI-MI Hoffpauir, Jarrett, $0.5m (P-n/a)

Stephen Drew for, well, nothing... Bridgestone did a lot of that, hence the bad GM tag. Colby (again not bagging on you) wasn't the only one to take advantage of his ineptitude. What direction could his team be going with a trade like this? Just saying... 2 5th starters, 1 RP, 1 CI with no job, 3 non prospects.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2011, 02:10:39 PM »
And the explanation as to why the deal was made....

"The Cubs needed pitching so this deal was a must.  The farm boost is a plus. I now have tons of cap room to go out and make improvements to my team in free agency. "

We all approved it, and no one said a word. I could prolly find more than a handful of these nuggets done by just one GM. My point being is that GMs are the owners in this league, and if they are not acting in the best interest of their franchise and their league then they should no longer be apart of the league. MLB took Jeffrey Loria to task for not spending money, he then went and signed Josh Johnson long term. We should be able to do something similar to that.

I know Stephen Drew isn't a great, but he is a very solid player, and just that one move set Chicago back quite a bit, and moved Pittsburgh up quite a bit. And again, that is just one move... imagine 3 or 4 moves that are like this. I don't know how we as the TC let it go through. It wasn't collusion, so it had to go through I guess, but this is an example of a trade that should have been stopped dead in its tracks. But we the TC dropped the ball. Again, I just want to reiterate that this is just an example of a lopsided trade that should have been discussed further by the TC. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2011, 02:20:57 PM »
Maybe we should consider making it mandatory for all teams to fill certain starting positions on a daily basis and allow salary exemptions for replacements of injured players.  In real life, you are require to field an entire team. 

How can we be considered a realistic league if we allow owners to field partial teams like the one being employed by the Mets?  I would support a rule that states that the starting positions we have defined in the rules be manned by players in the majors. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:22:34 PM by rcankosy »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

lp815

« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2011, 02:34:01 PM »
Roy, in that case I would want to expand roster sizes. I have 4, maybe 5 MLB pitchers currently, with about a dozen prospect pitchers. Forcing a rebuilding team to field a full lineup would hamper my ability to keep a strong farm system. Thoughts?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bravesfan4

« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2011, 03:02:44 PM »
Maybe we should consider making it mandatory for all teams to fill certain starting positions on a daily basis and allow salary exemptions for replacements of injured players.  In real life, you are require to field an entire team. 

How can we be considered a realistic league if we allow owners to field partial teams like the one being employed by the Mets?  I would support a rule that states that the starting positions we have defined in the rules be manned by players in the majors. 

Most teams in contention have multiple starters at a position. For example my yankees have 3mi's. Other teams do as well. Forcing teams to have fill all roster spots would be a complete waste of money for that team as the players they would sign wouldnt even be starters. That money would be better spent on specs or young players rather then a backup mlb player.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: @Brent we sincerely hope that you do join as a HOF level dynasty GM. The rules and a lot of format carry over from one LIVE league to another.
    May 21, 2024, 11:56:46 PM
  • Daddy: We believe that even if you don't know a sport well, we provide the material, and enough guidance advice that any disadvantages are minimized. Hockey is one of the greatest sports of all time.
    May 21, 2024, 11:58:09 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: Brent should I put you on the waiting list for the next opening?
    Yesterday at 10:53:35 AM
  • Brent: Nah, I need to resist.  I built the team I wanted and decided to leave so that's on me.
    Yesterday at 11:28:04 AM
  • indiansnation: Is their a way i can lgo and check out prospects in nhl live and get statistics
    Yesterday at 01:02:05 PM
  • Daddy: We have the same prospects as real life. Same draft class coming in. You are loaded for Bear.
    Yesterday at 01:06:11 PM
  • Daddy: The contracts that expire in 2023. Are upcoming FA. We giving a chance to extend 6/1
    Yesterday at 01:08:31 PM
  • indiansnation: I finally looked at the minors and i got a 40 year old player in my minors
    Yesterday at 01:27:00 PM
  • Daddy: Did we put Sidney Crosby in your Juniors? Whats the resolution you seek?
    Yesterday at 01:57:39 PM
  • indiansnation: No resolution i just saw it. No rrsolution
    Yesterday at 05:49:02 PM
  • Daddy: Ok. You know you can cut anyone you want and with FROZEN FRENZY as well as the draft we all have a ton of moves to make.
    Yesterday at 06:11:32 PM
  • Daddy: Hockey players don't make what football, basketball, baseball players make. The cap is lower than other LIVE leagues.
    Yesterday at 06:13:00 PM
  • Daddy: NFL Teams in OTAs. Hockey & Baseball Drafts approach
    Yesterday at 06:14:26 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah when we were filling rosters we just included everyone we could since they can be cut. I will be cutting a chunk of guys once we start up
    Yesterday at 06:14:45 PM
  • Daddy: Trading too. Not just cutting. Virgin teams need diversified. Ive seen owners swap half of they're starting players to get diversified.
    Yesterday at 06:16:51 PM
  • Daddy: New leagues should be the most active because everyone has a ton of assets.
    Yesterday at 06:18:24 PM
  • Bigdon: Is there any openings in nfl.l8ve
    Yesterday at 11:09:21 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey bigdon if u looking to trade in mlb live let me know im guardians
    Yesterday at 11:24:50 PM
  • Bigdon: Well listen to all offers I need team in nfl live I am in all other leagues
    Yesterday at 11:31:05 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon pm sent u trade offer in mlb live
    Yesterday at 11:55:00 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon sent u new pm with new trade offer
    Today at 12:08:07 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon ill post trade right know
    Today at 12:13:33 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon trade posted in mlb live
    Today at 12:24:42 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: bigdon sent ya a message also i dont think nfl has any openings rn
    Today at 12:31:00 AM
  • indiansnation: Bayarea Ballers pm about giants in mlb live
    Today at 12:32:31 AM
  • Brent: Angels looking for a power bat in MLB Live.
    Today at 07:17:38 AM
  • Daddy: When i started on profsl in 2010 my first league i had to pay $45 for the Milwaukee Brewers in a start up league called SD.
    Today at 10:45:05 AM
  • Daddy: SD = Scouting Department
    Today at 10:45:26 AM
  • Daddy: Papps recruited me on our job. The only team available in a full and active money league.
    Today at 10:46:25 AM
  • Daddy: They vetoed my first 7 trade attempts. They publicly insulted me, calling me dumb, saying i should be kicked out the league because it was obvious i didnt know what i was doing.
    Today at 10:47:37 AM
  • Daddy: Im year 2 i won the championship and the prize pool. I would win it repeatedly afterwards.
    Today at 10:48:26 AM
  • Daddy: My Dad joined. Then these same fools said he was my burner account.
    Today at 10:48:56 AM
  • Daddy: When it was obvious he was someone else, they started saying we couldn't trade with each other or we were cheating.
    Today at 10:49:44 AM
  • Daddy: Profsl had a bunch of pencil dik crooks on it. All over the place. Corrupt LMs orchestrating trades to try to pre determine who won.
    Today at 10:50:57 AM
  • Daddy: To keep the money between "certain guys". That way it stayed in house and they just kept robbing fools.
    Today at 10:51:49 AM
  • Daddy: I created LIVE because LIVE is what those fake ass leagues were supposed to be.
    Today at 10:52:24 AM
  • Daddy: Real competition. Where your competition cant cheat ya and anyone that beats ya deserved to do so.
    Today at 10:53:15 AM
  • Daddy: All those bums & crooks & morons have either left profsl for good or they stay in the background, watching, and gossiping behind my back like a bunch of street corner hookers.
    Today at 10:54:41 AM
  • Daddy: Now all we do on profsl is play ball.
    Today at 10:55:51 AM
  • Daddy: How did i win a money league that they were cheating in? Because if you cheat, you still gotta be right about the players. They were smart at being crooks. Dumb at building teams.
    Today at 10:59:54 AM
  • OUDAN: I miss money dynasty lesgues
    Today at 11:27:47 AM
  • OUDAN: Ran correctly that is
    Today at 11:28:50 AM
  • Daddy: Agreed Dan. This site was popping 14 years ago with half ass product. Every league here today offers a unique top quality product.
    Today at 01:09:03 PM
  • Daddy: Upcoming $$$ league [link] Powerhouse Baseball @Alpha5 (LIVE moderator) LM.
    Today at 01:57:27 PM
  • OUDAN: Need a $$ basketball league badly
    Today at 02:58:32 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I finally finalized my first off-season trade in CCD
    Today at 03:17:54 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Trading away PJ washington
    Today at 03:18:02 PM
  • Daddy: @Dan Powerhouse is coming to all sports. 20 player redraft concept using LIVE style scoring.
    Today at 04:58:27 PM
  • Daddy: Powerhouse hockey 30 player & football 53 player redraft.... Basketball is 15 players i think but these are in concept stages except baseball. Powerhouse Baseball 2025 is coming.
    Today at 05:02:29 PM
  • Daddy: Powerhouse = $$$ & redraft.
    Today at 05:03:34 PM