Author Topic: In the event of a lock-out / delay / cancellation of the 12-13 NHL season  (Read 1433 times)

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
planning ahead here as we near what should be the Oct.11'12 start date for the 2012-13 NHL season but with no new CBA in sight...

we need to address several items:

1) 2012-13 Contracts - in the real NHL, all 2012-13 contracts remain valid in the event of a lockout/strike/cancellation. we'll need to get majority agreement but i propose all contracts get frozen in the event of a complete cancellation to the 2012-13 season (meaning contracts expiring in 2012-13 will be carried over to expire in 2013-14)... 1 key reason being extension start dates, values, calculation would be impacted if we don't freeze contracts.

2) FNHL Start Date - this is a given but i'll state it anyway, if the NHL season is delayed, all our FNHL dates are similarly pushed back or delayed until the real NHL sesaon begins (this includes the transaction freeze period plus the effective date for the new buy outs for retiring, non-NHL players).

3) Salary Cap Roll-back? - in the current CBA negotiations, there's serious talk of reducing the salary cap per team and rolling back to approx. $58m ... in the real NHL, teams and mgmt have plenty of means, tools to rollback salary including burying players in the minors + calling up a bunch of entry level contracts, shipping players overseas, etc. Since FNHL doesn't use waivers (to move players back n forth betw MLR and MilR) - cap rollback will be much more difficult to implement immediately given how teams have already spent during the offseason FA period or planned their budgets at the end of the 2011-12 seaosn... not to mention all the manual admin work to adjust team salaries, process player movement, etc.

If the 2012-13 NHL salary cap is rolled back, I proposed a FNHL vote to get buy-in on maintaining 2012-13 cap at $70.3m with a necessary FNHL cap rollback to take effect for the 2013-14 FNHL season. reason: we're not all full-time profsl'ers, nor are we paid full-time GMs who are expected to navigate new CBA cap requirements, so let's not force ourselves into urgent changes we don't have to make. fantasy play is meant to be fun, not stressful.  :toast:

comments, opinions, rants... pl. post 'em!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Florida Panthers ... link to team page

2023-24 FRANCHISE NHL PAYOUT TO CHAMPION ... :money: $530.00USD :money:
ONLY THE BEST OWNERS WANTED

Offline snugerud

• MVP
  • I am the ghost of fantasy hockey past
    • :NE:
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • View Profile
Re: In the event of a lock-out / delay / cancellation of the 12-13 NHL season
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 02:25:14 PM »
I am in agreement on all the things you have mentioned except for the cap freeze.  If you look at the teams there are a large number with plenty of cap room left in the league.  I really dont see an agreement happening that roles the salaries back to 58 million but could realistically see it moving to say 64/65million. 

I have strategically been holding back on many of the players for bid and creating cap room for that very reason so why should teams that had foresight be penalized?  I know there are other teams as well.
I also disagree with the idea that teams do not have the tools to get themselves cap compliant in that case.  I have been able to drop Lecalvier with absolutely no cap hit for the next 4 years.  If we find it is affecting more than half the league , maybe offer everyone a 1 time amnesty buyout option immediately or 1 free drop. something to that effect.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:54:45 AM »
full disclosure, this thread was not reviewed with co-commissioner hockeyfreak47 prior to it being posted...

pl note, upon reviewing quickly with him after it was posted, he disagrees with #1 (carrying 2012-13 contracts over to 2013-14 in the event the entire NHL season is cancelled).

hf47 may have other feedback to post on this subject... stay tuned.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 12:29:16 PM »
planning ahead here as we near what should be the Oct.11'12 start date for the 2012-13 NHL season but with no new CBA in sight...

we need to address several items:

1) 2012-13 Contracts - in the real NHL, all 2012-13 contracts remain valid in the event of a lockout/strike/cancellation. we'll need to get majority agreement but i propose all contracts get frozen in the event of a complete cancellation to the 2012-13 season (meaning contracts expiring in 2012-13 will be carried over to expire in 2013-14)... 1 key reason being extension start dates, values, calculation would be impacted if we don't freeze contracts.

I think that freezing them, as it is current NHL protocol, would make most sense.  Those guys are paid to think about these situations, calculate the ramifications, and decide what is best.  We don't need to reinvent the wheel.

2) FNHL Start Date - this is a given but i'll state it anyway, if the NHL season is delayed, all our FNHL dates are similarly pushed back or delayed until the real NHL sesaon begins (this includes the transaction freeze period plus the effective date for the new buy outs for retiring, non-NHL players).

Appropriate.

3) Salary Cap Roll-back? - in the current CBA negotiations, there's serious talk of reducing the salary cap per team and rolling back to approx. $58m ... in the real NHL, teams and mgmt have plenty of means, tools to rollback salary including burying players in the minors + calling up a bunch of entry level contracts, shipping players overseas, etc. Since FNHL doesn't use waivers (to move players back n forth betw MLR and MilR) - cap rollback will be much more difficult to implement immediately given how teams have already spent during the offseason FA period or planned their budgets at the end of the 2011-12 seaosn... not to mention all the manual admin work to adjust team salaries, process player movement, etc.

If the 2012-13 NHL salary cap is rolled back, I proposed a FNHL vote to get buy-in on maintaining 2012-13 cap at $70.3m with a necessary FNHL cap rollback to take effect for the 2013-14 FNHL season. reason: we're not all full-time profsl'ers, nor are we paid full-time GMs who are expected to navigate new CBA cap requirements, so let's not force ourselves into urgent changes we don't have to make. fantasy play is meant to be fun, not stressful.  :toast:

comments, opinions, rants... pl. post 'em!

Brilliant
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline PsychoticPondGoons

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :BAL-NFL:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • :NYY:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 12:00:46 AM »
Too bad you can't find a guy to sim the year with their EA NHL13.

Contracts should be put on ice.
As for a rollback. It would force teams to be creative but after reading some of the posts this doesn't seem like the league to do that.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
PPG's Theme Song EC Lucky X - Welcome Spring2020
PPG's Chill Vibes Thrift Shop - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
Live to brawl. - J.Yablonski
"I don't like to hurt people. Sometimes I just can't help it." - George Steinbrenner :NYY:

23-24 FNHL Champion TBD will win the  $530.00 PAYOUT!

Best Fantasy Hockey League (25$ returning team fee 2024-25):
FNHL TEAMS FOR SALE!
:Commish: *** :CAR-NHL: HURRICANES :CAR-NHL: *** :Commish:

Offline Capn Cally

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 10
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :VAN:
    • :VAN-MLS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 03:27:53 PM »
Contracts should be put on ice.
As for a rollback. It would force teams to be creative but after reading some of the posts this doesn't seem like the league to do that.

Hahaha well put PPG!

However, I would like to see a reduction in salary cap if the NHL/NHLPA does that in real life (Not really a matter of it, but WHEN!). It would make bonehead FA bids even more ridiculous and owners in this league making those types of silly bids could ruin their teams.

This isn't baseball folks, where you can hand out 10m contracts to a middle of the pack player... Malkin, Stamkos, Crosby, Lundqvist, Quick... okay sure they might be worth 11-14m per if they ever hit the FA market but that's never going to happen. But if the cap is reduced to say 60m, that would be 1/6th of your team's salary dedicated to one player! Again, unlikely given those high profile names, but it seems like guys love to overspend on FA's up in here, so it was just a wild example.

By the way, all the other suggestions make sense.
Freezing contracts seems pretty obvious - They're not getting paid. (Well, maybe the Montreal Canadiens will all get their full salaries this year, must be nice, hahaha)
The other suggestion of start date seems even more obvious.

:thumbsup:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 12:51:49 AM »
lol That would mess up the teams that spent like billionaires! I'd pay to watch the teams scraping their heads against the cap ceiling figure out how to cut salary. Let's vote to cut the cap if the NHL reduces cap.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I don't like to hurt people. Sometimes I just can't help it." - George Steinbrenner :NYY:

FNHL TEAMS FOR SALE!

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 01:40:16 AM »
Such a bummer that the season looks like it'll be delayed if not canceled. Greedy owner bastards!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

FNHL TEAMS FOR SALE!

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 01:12:36 AM »
NHL Lock-out officially in effect.

strange to see so many NHL GM handing out new longterm deals for big money yet their owners are crying poor yet again.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline mattpily

• All-Star
    • :SFO:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :LA:
    • :Vermont:
    • :LIV:
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 01:14:17 AM »
Since last Saturday, $219.55M on 18 players according to capgeek
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

* FNHL Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Oh nvm you made two NHL Trades
    Yesterday at 08:51:36 PM
  • Braves155: Already 2 deals Brian?
    Yesterday at 09:12:52 PM
  • Daddy: He needs help @Braves. Trade addiction hotline. He just doesn't love Fakebook or TicTok. Brian is addicted to trading.
    Yesterday at 09:39:23 PM
  • Daddy: "1-800-LIVEGMS" - is here for your addiction.
    Yesterday at 09:41:08 PM
  • Daddy: We got Fat traders... Skinny traders... We got wee little traders & Giant ego traders. Our slogan? "We be trading Crap nonstop".
    Yesterday at 09:43:18 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Yesterday at 10:13:45 PM
  • Braves155: Replied
    Yesterday at 11:00:36 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Daddy message on fantrax
    Today at 02:29:05 AM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Today at 09:08:41 AM
  • TheGOAT: Are you posting jmntl?
    Today at 10:42:38 AM
  • TheGOAT: nevermind
    Today at 10:46:33 AM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Which 2025 1st is being moved? Im assuming Detroit original
    Today at 10:53:10 AM
  • TheGOAT: I believe it is the Detroit's original one
    Today at 11:05:54 AM
  • jmntl82: Yeah the original
    Today at 11:24:30 AM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Roger
    Today at 11:54:51 AM
  • Daddy: Welp... There goes my draft picks boyz. Hit me up next year. :)
    Today at 12:45:22 PM
  • jmntl82: Is there a trade addiction meeting somewhere I can sign up for?
    Today at 01:02:23 PM
  • jmntl82: It has been one hour ish since my last trade
    Today at 01:02:36 PM
  • Daddy: Looking at our recent transactions you too need therapy. The trade addiction pandemic is real.
    Today at 01:04:51 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Lmaoo I think I got the case of briantradeitis
    Today at 02:38:04 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: After what Ive been doing in NHL live
    Today at 02:38:18 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around all day. Will be on the SS later doing some matching but always around
    Today at 02:39:13 PM
  • Daddy: We havent hit the official start date but NHL LIVE is up and running, fully functional with 28 pre-signed owners. Weve got 4 open teams despite over 100,000+ views on just the bullpen sign up sheet.
    Today at 02:46:34 PM
  • Daddy: Once teams are gone, they are gone.
    Today at 02:47:29 PM
  • Daddy: Focus now goes to NCAA LIVE >> NBA LIVE >> NCAA Hoops LIVE
    Today at 02:48:24 PM
  • Daddy: Thats 160 teams in case you were wondering. Across 2 sports. Impossible? Just watch.
    Today at 02:49:56 PM
  • OUDAN: Soooooo ready for NCAA and NBA. Ive never been in an NCAA league that worked but I trust you
    Today at 03:00:41 PM
  • Daddy: And i will not let you down sir. On my everything i will not let you down. :toth:
    Today at 03:34:14 PM
  • Bigdon: Has nba live started yet
    Today at 04:45:48 PM
  • Daddy: You will see it in fantrax once it starts. We are at the "pre" signup stage. Just got the boards up.
    Today at 04:50:52 PM
  • Daddy: Setting up leagues from scratch takes a little time. Took a few months to get NHL set up correctly and operational.
    Today at 04:52:25 PM
  • Daddy: MLB & NFL were switch over leagues. They already had most of the structures in place. NHL is the first true LIVE league done from scratch.
    Today at 04:53:51 PM
  • STLBlues91: When do you need Vegas name for NBA Live?
    Today at 04:56:01 PM
  • Daddy: When i set up fantrax. Need the name and logo by then. Seattle was easy. Vegas we are on our own.
    Today at 04:58:58 PM
  • Daddy: So by July 1
    Today at 04:59:31 PM
  • Daddy: NBA is "easiest" of all of the leagues to set up and moderate.
    Today at 05:00:09 PM
  • Daddy: NHL watch a bitch. All those dudes. I know about guys playing hockey in Iceland now. Too much information.
    Today at 05:00:53 PM
  • Daddy: Was a bitch :rofl:
    Today at 05:01:10 PM
  • Daddy: I know about 16 year old hockey players now. It was a great learning experience. I thought i knew hockey.
    Today at 05:03:59 PM
  • Daddy: Huge NHL LIVE trade. The first BLOCKBUSTER
    Today at 05:59:00 PM
  • Daddy: Connor McDavid comes to Broad St. :)
    Today at 05:59:23 PM
  • Daddy: Lead us great Connor. Lead us to Dynasty Glory. :win: im counting on you eh.
    Today at 06:00:31 PM
  • Bigdon: Nba live i.have chicago that's awesome thanks
    Today at 06:02:13 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy its 5pm and the flyers still suck
    Today at 06:02:47 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah but my Flyers suck with Connor McDavid.
    Today at 06:04:15 PM
  • Daddy: Dont hate me cuz im beautiful.
    Today at 06:04:34 PM
  • Daddy: After a blockbuster trade, you know the feeling. I could get hit by thrown monkey poop right now and im still smiling while i eat a banana.
    Today at 06:06:48 PM
  • Daddy: Who you got? Isnt Sidney Crosby coaching team Canada in the upcoming Olympics?
    Today at 06:07:44 PM
  • Daddy: Ever seen Harlem Knights Brian? "" Dddddon't ttttake thththis Aaaaasssss whupin Ppppersonal" -Jack Jenkins
    Today at 06:12:51 PM
  • Daddy: [link] for you. :)
    Today at 06:14:34 PM