Author Topic: In the event of a lock-out / delay / cancellation of the 12-13 NHL season  (Read 1418 times)

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
planning ahead here as we near what should be the Oct.11'12 start date for the 2012-13 NHL season but with no new CBA in sight...

we need to address several items:

1) 2012-13 Contracts - in the real NHL, all 2012-13 contracts remain valid in the event of a lockout/strike/cancellation. we'll need to get majority agreement but i propose all contracts get frozen in the event of a complete cancellation to the 2012-13 season (meaning contracts expiring in 2012-13 will be carried over to expire in 2013-14)... 1 key reason being extension start dates, values, calculation would be impacted if we don't freeze contracts.

2) FNHL Start Date - this is a given but i'll state it anyway, if the NHL season is delayed, all our FNHL dates are similarly pushed back or delayed until the real NHL sesaon begins (this includes the transaction freeze period plus the effective date for the new buy outs for retiring, non-NHL players).

3) Salary Cap Roll-back? - in the current CBA negotiations, there's serious talk of reducing the salary cap per team and rolling back to approx. $58m ... in the real NHL, teams and mgmt have plenty of means, tools to rollback salary including burying players in the minors + calling up a bunch of entry level contracts, shipping players overseas, etc. Since FNHL doesn't use waivers (to move players back n forth betw MLR and MilR) - cap rollback will be much more difficult to implement immediately given how teams have already spent during the offseason FA period or planned their budgets at the end of the 2011-12 seaosn... not to mention all the manual admin work to adjust team salaries, process player movement, etc.

If the 2012-13 NHL salary cap is rolled back, I proposed a FNHL vote to get buy-in on maintaining 2012-13 cap at $70.3m with a necessary FNHL cap rollback to take effect for the 2013-14 FNHL season. reason: we're not all full-time profsl'ers, nor are we paid full-time GMs who are expected to navigate new CBA cap requirements, so let's not force ourselves into urgent changes we don't have to make. fantasy play is meant to be fun, not stressful.  :toast:

comments, opinions, rants... pl. post 'em!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Florida Panthers ... link to team page

2023-24 FRANCHISE NHL PAYOUT TO CHAMPION ... :money: $530.00USD :money:
ONLY THE BEST OWNERS WANTED

Offline snugerud

• MVP
  • I am the ghost of fantasy hockey past
    • :NE:
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • View Profile
Re: In the event of a lock-out / delay / cancellation of the 12-13 NHL season
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 02:25:14 PM »
I am in agreement on all the things you have mentioned except for the cap freeze.  If you look at the teams there are a large number with plenty of cap room left in the league.  I really dont see an agreement happening that roles the salaries back to 58 million but could realistically see it moving to say 64/65million. 

I have strategically been holding back on many of the players for bid and creating cap room for that very reason so why should teams that had foresight be penalized?  I know there are other teams as well.
I also disagree with the idea that teams do not have the tools to get themselves cap compliant in that case.  I have been able to drop Lecalvier with absolutely no cap hit for the next 4 years.  If we find it is affecting more than half the league , maybe offer everyone a 1 time amnesty buyout option immediately or 1 free drop. something to that effect.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:54:45 AM »
full disclosure, this thread was not reviewed with co-commissioner hockeyfreak47 prior to it being posted...

pl note, upon reviewing quickly with him after it was posted, he disagrees with #1 (carrying 2012-13 contracts over to 2013-14 in the event the entire NHL season is cancelled).

hf47 may have other feedback to post on this subject... stay tuned.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 12:29:16 PM »
planning ahead here as we near what should be the Oct.11'12 start date for the 2012-13 NHL season but with no new CBA in sight...

we need to address several items:

1) 2012-13 Contracts - in the real NHL, all 2012-13 contracts remain valid in the event of a lockout/strike/cancellation. we'll need to get majority agreement but i propose all contracts get frozen in the event of a complete cancellation to the 2012-13 season (meaning contracts expiring in 2012-13 will be carried over to expire in 2013-14)... 1 key reason being extension start dates, values, calculation would be impacted if we don't freeze contracts.

I think that freezing them, as it is current NHL protocol, would make most sense.  Those guys are paid to think about these situations, calculate the ramifications, and decide what is best.  We don't need to reinvent the wheel.

2) FNHL Start Date - this is a given but i'll state it anyway, if the NHL season is delayed, all our FNHL dates are similarly pushed back or delayed until the real NHL sesaon begins (this includes the transaction freeze period plus the effective date for the new buy outs for retiring, non-NHL players).

Appropriate.

3) Salary Cap Roll-back? - in the current CBA negotiations, there's serious talk of reducing the salary cap per team and rolling back to approx. $58m ... in the real NHL, teams and mgmt have plenty of means, tools to rollback salary including burying players in the minors + calling up a bunch of entry level contracts, shipping players overseas, etc. Since FNHL doesn't use waivers (to move players back n forth betw MLR and MilR) - cap rollback will be much more difficult to implement immediately given how teams have already spent during the offseason FA period or planned their budgets at the end of the 2011-12 seaosn... not to mention all the manual admin work to adjust team salaries, process player movement, etc.

If the 2012-13 NHL salary cap is rolled back, I proposed a FNHL vote to get buy-in on maintaining 2012-13 cap at $70.3m with a necessary FNHL cap rollback to take effect for the 2013-14 FNHL season. reason: we're not all full-time profsl'ers, nor are we paid full-time GMs who are expected to navigate new CBA cap requirements, so let's not force ourselves into urgent changes we don't have to make. fantasy play is meant to be fun, not stressful.  :toast:

comments, opinions, rants... pl. post 'em!

Brilliant
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline PsychoticPondGoons

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :BAL-NFL:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • :NYY:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 12:00:46 AM »
Too bad you can't find a guy to sim the year with their EA NHL13.

Contracts should be put on ice.
As for a rollback. It would force teams to be creative but after reading some of the posts this doesn't seem like the league to do that.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
PPG's Theme Song EC Lucky X - Welcome Spring2020
PPG's Chill Vibes Thrift Shop - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
Live to brawl. - J.Yablonski
"I don't like to hurt people. Sometimes I just can't help it." - George Steinbrenner :NYY:

23-24 FNHL Champion TBD will win the  $530.00 PAYOUT!

Best Fantasy Hockey League (25$ returning team fee 2024-25):
FNHL TEAMS FOR SALE!
:Commish: *** :CAR-NHL: HURRICANES :CAR-NHL: *** :Commish:

Offline Capn Cally

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 10
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :VAN:
    • :VAN-MLS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 03:27:53 PM »
Contracts should be put on ice.
As for a rollback. It would force teams to be creative but after reading some of the posts this doesn't seem like the league to do that.

Hahaha well put PPG!

However, I would like to see a reduction in salary cap if the NHL/NHLPA does that in real life (Not really a matter of it, but WHEN!). It would make bonehead FA bids even more ridiculous and owners in this league making those types of silly bids could ruin their teams.

This isn't baseball folks, where you can hand out 10m contracts to a middle of the pack player... Malkin, Stamkos, Crosby, Lundqvist, Quick... okay sure they might be worth 11-14m per if they ever hit the FA market but that's never going to happen. But if the cap is reduced to say 60m, that would be 1/6th of your team's salary dedicated to one player! Again, unlikely given those high profile names, but it seems like guys love to overspend on FA's up in here, so it was just a wild example.

By the way, all the other suggestions make sense.
Freezing contracts seems pretty obvious - They're not getting paid. (Well, maybe the Montreal Canadiens will all get their full salaries this year, must be nice, hahaha)
The other suggestion of start date seems even more obvious.

:thumbsup:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 12:51:49 AM »
lol That would mess up the teams that spent like billionaires! I'd pay to watch the teams scraping their heads against the cap ceiling figure out how to cut salary. Let's vote to cut the cap if the NHL reduces cap.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I don't like to hurt people. Sometimes I just can't help it." - George Steinbrenner :NYY:

FNHL TEAMS FOR SALE!

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 01:40:16 AM »
Such a bummer that the season looks like it'll be delayed if not canceled. Greedy owner bastards!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

FNHL TEAMS FOR SALE!

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 01:12:36 AM »
NHL Lock-out officially in effect.

strange to see so many NHL GM handing out new longterm deals for big money yet their owners are crying poor yet again.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline mattpily

• All-Star
    • :SFO:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :LA:
    • :Vermont:
    • :LIV:
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 01:14:17 AM »
Since last Saturday, $219.55M on 18 players according to capgeek
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

* FNHL Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Four (4) NY Islanders >> Nashville Predators >> Ottawa Senators >> LA Kings
    May 21, 2024, 10:50:47 PM
  • Daddy: They each had owners who uncommitted two of them went to other sites to try to copy the concept. Problem is no Daddy, no staff,  no LIVE.
    May 21, 2024, 10:52:54 PM
  • Daddy: Nobody on Earth does hockey like we are about to do it. Its a shame 28 teams are gone without most of the true profsl hockey guys signing up. That's a huge loss. For them.
    May 21, 2024, 10:54:45 PM
  • Daddy: If you love hockey and you love dynasty and you arent in LIVE than you must hate me or competition more than you love the others. Which is petty & not worth our efforts anyway.
    May 21, 2024, 10:56:10 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE Spreadsheet [link] should be available to be seen.
    May 21, 2024, 11:35:31 PM
  • Daddy: @Brent we sincerely hope that you do join as a HOF level dynasty GM. The rules and a lot of format carry over from one LIVE league to another.
    May 21, 2024, 11:56:46 PM
  • Daddy: We believe that even if you don't know a sport well, we provide the material, and enough guidance advice that any disadvantages are minimized. Hockey is one of the greatest sports of all time.
    May 21, 2024, 11:58:09 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: Brent should I put you on the waiting list for the next opening?
    Yesterday at 10:53:35 AM
  • Brent: Nah, I need to resist.  I built the team I wanted and decided to leave so that's on me.
    Yesterday at 11:28:04 AM
  • indiansnation: Is their a way i can lgo and check out prospects in nhl live and get statistics
    Yesterday at 01:02:05 PM
  • Daddy: We have the same prospects as real life. Same draft class coming in. You are loaded for Bear.
    Yesterday at 01:06:11 PM
  • Daddy: The contracts that expire in 2023. Are upcoming FA. We giving a chance to extend 6/1
    Yesterday at 01:08:31 PM
  • indiansnation: I finally looked at the minors and i got a 40 year old player in my minors
    Yesterday at 01:27:00 PM
  • Daddy: Did we put Sidney Crosby in your Juniors? Whats the resolution you seek?
    Yesterday at 01:57:39 PM
  • indiansnation: No resolution i just saw it. No rrsolution
    Yesterday at 05:49:02 PM
  • Daddy: Ok. You know you can cut anyone you want and with FROZEN FRENZY as well as the draft we all have a ton of moves to make.
    Yesterday at 06:11:32 PM
  • Daddy: Hockey players don't make what football, basketball, baseball players make. The cap is lower than other LIVE leagues.
    Yesterday at 06:13:00 PM
  • Daddy: NFL Teams in OTAs. Hockey & Baseball Drafts approach
    Yesterday at 06:14:26 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah when we were filling rosters we just included everyone we could since they can be cut. I will be cutting a chunk of guys once we start up
    Yesterday at 06:14:45 PM
  • Daddy: Trading too. Not just cutting. Virgin teams need diversified. Ive seen owners swap half of they're starting players to get diversified.
    Yesterday at 06:16:51 PM
  • Daddy: New leagues should be the most active because everyone has a ton of assets.
    Yesterday at 06:18:24 PM
  • Bigdon: Is there any openings in nfl.l8ve
    Yesterday at 11:09:21 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey bigdon if u looking to trade in mlb live let me know im guardians
    Yesterday at 11:24:50 PM
  • Bigdon: Well listen to all offers I need team in nfl live I am in all other leagues
    Yesterday at 11:31:05 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon pm sent u trade offer in mlb live
    Yesterday at 11:55:00 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon sent u new pm with new trade offer
    Today at 12:08:07 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon ill post trade right know
    Today at 12:13:33 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon trade posted in mlb live
    Today at 12:24:42 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: bigdon sent ya a message also i dont think nfl has any openings rn
    Today at 12:31:00 AM
  • indiansnation: Bayarea Ballers pm about giants in mlb live
    Today at 12:32:31 AM
  • Brent: Angels looking for a power bat in MLB Live.
    Today at 07:17:38 AM
  • Daddy: When i started on profsl in 2010 my first league i had to pay $45 for the Milwaukee Brewers in a start up league called SD.
    Today at 10:45:05 AM
  • Daddy: SD = Scouting Department
    Today at 10:45:26 AM
  • Daddy: Papps recruited me on our job. The only team available in a full and active money league.
    Today at 10:46:25 AM
  • Daddy: They vetoed my first 7 trade attempts. They publicly insulted me, calling me dumb, saying i should be kicked out the league because it was obvious i didnt know what i was doing.
    Today at 10:47:37 AM
  • Daddy: Im year 2 i won the championship and the prize pool. I would win it repeatedly afterwards.
    Today at 10:48:26 AM
  • Daddy: My Dad joined. Then these same fools said he was my burner account.
    Today at 10:48:56 AM
  • Daddy: When it was obvious he was someone else, they started saying we couldn't trade with each other or we were cheating.
    Today at 10:49:44 AM
  • Daddy: Profsl had a bunch of pencil dik crooks on it. All over the place. Corrupt LMs orchestrating trades to try to pre determine who won.
    Today at 10:50:57 AM
  • Daddy: To keep the money between "certain guys". That way it stayed in house and they just kept robbing fools.
    Today at 10:51:49 AM
  • Daddy: I created LIVE because LIVE is what those fake ass leagues were supposed to be.
    Today at 10:52:24 AM
  • Daddy: Real competition. Where your competition cant cheat ya and anyone that beats ya deserved to do so.
    Today at 10:53:15 AM
  • Daddy: All those bums & crooks & morons have either left profsl for good or they stay in the background, watching, and gossiping behind my back like a bunch of street corner hookers.
    Today at 10:54:41 AM
  • Daddy: Now all we do on profsl is play ball.
    Today at 10:55:51 AM
  • Daddy: How did i win a money league that they were cheating in? Because if you cheat, you still gotta be right about the players. They were smart at being crooks. Dumb at building teams.
    Today at 10:59:54 AM
  • OUDAN: I miss money dynasty lesgues
    Today at 11:27:47 AM
  • OUDAN: Ran correctly that is
    Today at 11:28:50 AM
  • Daddy: Agreed Dan. This site was popping 14 years ago with half ass product. Every league here today offers a unique top quality product.
    Today at 01:09:03 PM
  • Daddy: Upcoming $$$ league [link] Powerhouse Baseball @Alpha5 (LIVE moderator) LM.
    Today at 01:57:27 PM
  • OUDAN: Need a $$ basketball league badly
    Today at 02:58:32 PM