Author Topic: Official RC Vote on Clearing Extension Loopholes  (Read 16849 times)

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
Official RC Vote on Clearing Extension Loopholes
« on: June 03, 2011, 04:05:10 PM »
These are all rule adjustments concerning the timing of extensions.  Each rule change line will have the voting option of having the rule change effective immediately (2011-12 offseason) or for the 2012-13 offseason.

1) Management of salary caps for not just current year but future 5-6 years.  This is something we are doing in New Era and is much more realistic for a franchises' books.  It also prevents GMs from financially ruining future years with cash exchanges.
2) Should prospect extensions be the only type of extensions allowable for expired contracts in the offseason?  If so, should we adopt a short window to do this such as two weeks?  I say we allow expiring prospect contracts to be signed to regular extensions after the season ends, but not to prospect extensions per our current rules.
3) I am suggesting a rule change that says contract extensions can be done one of two ways.  The first is a traditional extension which is only allowable in the last year of the current contract.  The extension is added on in future years.  For example, a 2011 contract could get a three year extension starting in 2012 and ending in 2014.   The second is our current type of extensions which is essentially a new contract overwriting the old one.  We have minimum and maximum years protecting this new contract status.
4) Should regular extensions on expiring contracts not be allowed AFTER the season?  For example, an extension in November 2011 for what was a 2011 contract. It really isn't feasible to have this for such a realistic league.  This puts more honus on the trade deadline and free agency.

The big issue with rules #2 and #4 are when they would be made effective.  I don't see an issue with rules #1 and #3 being effective immediately although rule #1 would make several rosters illegal in 2012, so perhaps it is better to wait on that one until the offseason as well.  In general, rule changes should be made one year in advance.

Please votes YES or NO to all four of these with a timeline.  We are not going backwards and changing contracts based on new rules.  What is done is done.  Let's keep this simple, fair, and realistic.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 06:26:20 PM by Colby »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Online rcankosy

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Official RC Vote on Clearing Extension Loopholes
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 04:19:55 PM »
These are all rule adjustments concerning the timing of extensions.  Each rule change line will have the voting option of having the rule change effective immediately (2011-12 offseason) or for the 2012-13 offseason.

1) Management of salary caps for not just current year but future 5-6 years.  This is something we are doing in New Era and is much more realistic for a franchises' books.  It also prevents GMs from financially ruining future years with cash exchanges.

I am not sure what this means.

2) Should prospect extensions be the only type of extensions allowable for expired contracts in the offseason?  If so, should we adopt a short window to do this such as two weeks?

Yes.  Deadline is January 1st of the following year.  Dollars take effect the following year.

3) I am suggesting a rule change that says contract extensions can be done one of two ways.  The first is a traditional extension which is only allowable in the last year of the current contract.  The extension is added on in future years.  For example, a 2011 contract could get a three year extension starting in 2012 and ending in 2014.   The second is our current type of extensions which is essentially a new contract overwriting the old one.  We have minimum and maximum years protecting this new contract status.

Allow extensions any time prior to the expiration of the contract as long as they are governed by the minimum and maximum years rules.  Dollars and length (min/max) take effect the following year.

4) Should regular extensions on expiring contracts not be allowed anymore?  It really isn't feasible to have this for such a realistic league.  This puts more honus on the trade deadline and free agency.

Yes.  Keep extensions.  They are realistic and allow some semblance of team stability in the league.

The big issue with rules #2 and #4 are when they would be made effective.  I don't see an issue with rules #1 and #3 being effective immediately although rule #1 would make several rosters illegal in 2012, so perhaps it is better to wait on that one until the offseason as well.  In general, rule changes should be made one year in advance.

Please votes YES or NO to all four of these with a timeline.  We are not going backwards and changing contracts based on new rules.  What is done is done.  Let's keep this simple, fair, and realistic.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 04:27:06 PM »
Roy,

Re: 1) Salary caps and total salary would be shown for not just this year but also future years.  This requires extra cash management, but would currently make some rosters illegal in the future such as Cincy and Pittsburgh.

Re: 4) I wasn't saying to remove extensions.  The issue is about extensions on expiring contracts after the season has ended.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 04:33:56 PM »
1) Yes.
2) Yes, Current extension deadline works for me as well.
3) Yes, have new contracts as well as real contract extensions that take effect after original contract expires.  Such extensions (not the overwriting new contracts) are only allowed to take place in the last year.
4) Do not allow extensions on non-prospect extensions after the season ended. Start this rule two weeks after the end of the 2011 season.  This is fair.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Online rcankosy

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 04:37:24 PM »
In that case, I would vote YES to #1.  As long as the 2 week rule for # 4 involves deciding whether or not to RE-SIGN the player or make him a FA, I would say YES.   I would NOT be in favor of any scenario that involved trading the player's rights after the season ended like when Prince Fielder was traded for Hosmer.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 04:42:49 PM »
I'm on the road this weekend and won't have time to read up one everything and vote until Sunday or Monday.  I don't want to vote without reading things carefully.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 04:48:20 PM »
Agreed Roy.  The player would have to be signed in order to be traded.  Also, this two week window would only apply for this offseason.  Future years, normal contracts would expire at the end of the regular season.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MillerTime

• Legend
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 05:01:39 PM »
I just want to be clear on Item #1 if it passes.  If I have a player that another team has helped with the contract for the next two, but not beyond, and that means that my teams exceeds the Cap in 2013 and 2014, would my roster in 2011 be illegal?

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' - Homer Simpson

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 05:04:55 PM »
I just want to be clear on Item #1 if it passes.  If I have a player that another team has helped with the contract for the next two, but not beyond, and that means that my teams exceeds the Cap in 2013 and 2014, would my roster in 2011 be illegal?

Correct.  Adjustments would need to be made.  It is only right to enforce that rule starting in the offseason.  Once all teams are under all caps then there is no reason a roster should become illegal.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MillerTime

• Legend
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Correct.  Adjustments would need to be made.  It is only right to enforce that rule starting in the offseason.  Once all teams are under all caps then there is no reason a roster should become illegal.

This limits small market teams ability to leverage and compete. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' - Homer Simpson

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Nope. Ive always let him be himself. Ive had trades i negotiated in good faith vetoed by people who didn't want to lose.
    Today at 01:58:23 PM
  • Braves155: He's dealing me Crosby :-)
    Today at 01:59:12 PM
  • Daddy: How are YOU my competition going to determine value for ME and the person im trading with? Daduq???
    Today at 01:59:13 PM
  • Daddy: Because you dont like the value. Well who gives a Crap if you like it? It's not your deal.
    Today at 02:00:05 PM
  • Daddy: Coach Crosby getting dealt? This i gotta see.
    Today at 02:01:20 PM
  • Braves155: STLBlues, I didn't forget ya. I'll respond in short order
    Today at 02:02:34 PM
  • Daddy: Trade committee is there for competitive balance? Look at every league that has one. How balanced are they?
    Today at 02:02:53 PM
  • Daddy: Corey created that Crap for that exact purpose. To control who got what. And everyone copied it. Everywhere.
    Today at 02:04:00 PM
  • Daddy: I tried to tell them. Im still trying to tell them. What's the word im looking for????? Oh i know... "Duhhhhhhhhhhhhh".
    Today at 02:06:43 PM
  • indiansnation: Crosby on the move in nhl live
    Today at 02:07:34 PM
  • Daddy: There is a league out there. In your favorite sport. Where nobody gonna hold you back. Wont be no disadvantages. No cheating. No waiting.
    Today at 02:11:49 PM
  • Daddy: It ends in "LIVE" and however good we make it sound, its actually better than that.
    Today at 02:12:23 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 trade posted
    Today at 02:12:36 PM
  • Daddy: Ask someone with LIVE on their profile.
    Today at 02:13:32 PM
  • Daddy: In 3 days.. Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid, Tomas Hertl all found new teams. We are just getting started in hockey.
    Today at 02:33:40 PM
  • Braves155: Who the next big name to move?
    Today at 02:42:40 PM
  • Daddy: I can look at you guys profiles and tell who loves what sports. You ever looked at profile teams? Interesting.
    Today at 04:48:36 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon pm
    Today at 04:49:17 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Is @dbreer still on the road? Got a trade offer for him
    Today at 05:06:19 PM
  • Daddy: Man's on vacation. Season starts in August. The Professor will return. He is always on fantrax and gets DMs there as well.
    Today at 05:15:54 PM
  • Braves155: EstcoastGonzo...when you are on, I PM'd ya on our earlier talks
    Today at 05:18:18 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the day
    Today at 05:21:33 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Welp ill catch em at some point. In the mean time, looking to move up into early 2nd or late 1st. I got two 2s, three 3s, and a 4th and a 5th. Im sure we can come to a deal. Ill be here tonight
    Today at 06:02:09 PM
  • jmntl82: Man where’d you get all those picks
    Today at 06:10:03 PM
  • Braves155: Will also be around the rest of the day
    Today at 06:18:08 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Lol somewhat from you my friend but you are not alone
    Today at 06:27:53 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Ive traded with half the league in the past 3 months or so
    Today at 06:28:09 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: My goal is to trade with every gm at least once every offseason. I typically fall short tho
    Today at 06:28:46 PM
  • Daddy: I think he was referring to the Professor.
    Today at 06:32:09 PM
  • Braves155: Looking to get another 1st in this NFL LIVE Draft or possibly next szn.
    Today at 06:34:45 PM
  • Daddy: The NBA LIVE DRAFT LOTTERY has been completed. Congratulations to @RyanJames5 :SEA-NBA: for winning the #1 Pick in the upcoming NBA LIVE amateur draft.
    Today at 06:46:34 PM
  • Daddy: You should take Bronny James. ;)
    Today at 07:16:56 PM
  • Daddy: The Expansion Draft & Amateur Draft will be held on the same day. Tentatively scheduled for 9/28/24 beginning 9am EST until finished on a LIVE clock of one hour per selection before auto pick.  This is a SATURDAY to accommodate most work schedules. Please make an early note on your calendar Gentlemen.  Thank you
    Today at 07:18:47 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: @Daddy there are two NFL Live trades that need your confirmation. Grind never stops
    Today at 07:19:56 PM
  • Daddy: Goodness gracious. I will head over.
    Today at 07:20:56 PM
  • jmntl82: Those Lions back at it again
    Today at 07:23:28 PM
  • Braves155: I'm feeling the trade winds as well now in NFL LIVE. First it was NHL LIVE today for me, now it's NFL LIVE again
    Today at 07:25:01 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE has no off-season.
    Today at 08:12:45 PM
  • Daddy: You fall behind in that league taking just about any time off of profsl or fantrax.
    Today at 08:14:42 PM
  • Daddy: And as we trade in established leagues like NFL and we learn the newest league in NHL, another two LIVE leagues are quietly being born.
    Today at 08:16:49 PM
  • Daddy: The NBA LIVE DRAFT LOTTERY has been completed. Congratulations to @RyanJames5 :SEA-NBA: for winning the #1 Pick in the upcoming NBA LIVE amateur draft 9/28/24!
    Today at 08:17:42 PM
  • Braves155: Yep. Just wait until we start a Hooters LIVE League, then we'll really be sizzlin'
    Today at 08:18:54 PM
  • Daddy: I am no longer an endorser of Hooters or strip clubs. Ive replaced such umm urges with every sport but Soccer.
    Today at 08:45:34 PM
  • Daddy: And im debating Soccer.
    Today at 08:45:55 PM
  • Daddy: Premier League LIVE has a nice sound to it.
    Today at 08:47:12 PM
  • STLBlues91: Id have to learn some soccer
    Today at 08:48:20 PM
  • Daddy: Shot out to Nurse Bubbles ;)
    Today at 08:48:51 PM
  • jmntl82: I'm ready to make my first MLB LIVE trade if anyone wants to play ball
    Today at 09:03:23 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah i had to give you something else to do other than football :rofl:
    Today at 09:54:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Premier league LIVE sign me up
    Today at 10:30:12 PM