Author Topic: Official RC Vote on Clearing Extension Loopholes  (Read 16865 times)

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
Re: Official RC Vote on Clearing Extension Loopholes
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 06:24:40 PM »
I want to be clear on prospect extensions.  I am voting in favor of not only the extensions being allowed after the season, but the market discounts will also be granted to extensions after the season as well.  I think this is the part that Dan and I got hung up on earlier.  I don't want the market discounts getting lost in the final rules changes, so you might have to split the voting on prospect extensions into 2 votes.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 06:47:47 PM »
I have no problem with the prospect extensions coming after the season, but I do have a problem with it coming after this season. I don't think we should change that rule mid-season since some GMs have already been planning differently, and the rule was written differently. So currently my vote is no on post season prospect extensions, and yes on post season regular extensions. To start prospect extension grace period post 2012, I would vote yes to that.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 06:50:46 PM »
We'll vote on the timing of rules after they are established...

Voting thus far
1) Management of salary caps for not just current year but future 5-6 years.  This is something we are doing in New Era and is much more realistic for a franchises' books.  It also prevents GMs from financially ruining future years with cash exchanges.

YAY - Roy, Dan (doesn't care on %, wants this to be called the 2010 Angels rule.)
NAY - Colby (vote changed as representative of small market teams), Howe (would approve 30% above cap), Ben

2) Should regular contract extensions for expired prospect contracts be the only type of extensions allowable for expired contracts in the offseason?  If so, should we adopt a short window to do this such as two weeks?

YAY - Roy (deadline of January 1st / FA), Colby (begin of FA), Dan, Ben
NAY - Howe

3) I am suggesting a rule change that says contract extensions can be done one of two ways.  The first is a traditional extension which is only allowable in the last year of the current contract.  The extension is added on in future years.  For example, a 2011 contract could get a three year extension starting in 2012 and ending in 2014.   The second is our current type of extensions which is essentially a new contract overwriting the old one.  We have minimum and maximum years protecting this new contract status.

YAY - Roy (any time), Colby (one year prior), Dan, Ben (only do actual extensions one year prior)
NAY - Howe (wants to keep it simple, but allow 6-year deal)

4) Prince Fielder Rule - Should regular extensions on expiring contracts not be allowed AFTER the season?  For example, an extension in November 2011 for what was a 2011 contract. It really isn't feasible to have this for such a realistic league.  This puts more honus on the trade deadline and free agency.

YAY - Colby, Roy, Dan (I believe you are for this), Howe, Ben (your vote was no, but your explanation suggested these should not be allowed, a lot of double negatives to sort through)
NAY -

5) In addition to our 60-day NTC rule, any players signed to extensions and FA contracts in the offseason cannot be traded until June 1st the following year.

YAY - Roy, Dan, Howe, Colby
NAY -

6) Dan's suggeston of allowing to extend players to salaries less than their current, effective after their current contract.  This is an addendum on to Rule #3.

YAY - Dan
NAY - Colby (have them go to FA if you want lower salary), Howe

7) Ben's suggestion of having an extension deadline on players with expiring contracts coincide with the trade deadine (approximately 60 days before end of season).

YAY - Ben, Colby, Dan
NAY - Howe
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 06:51:42 PM »
Well now, that brings about yet another question.  When exactly are these new rules going to be implemented?  It doesn't matter to me, and it has no bearing on how I vote.  However, based on Dan's response, it may matter to other people so we should clear that up now too.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2011, 08:05:19 PM »
4) Prince Fielder Rule - Should regular extensions on expiring contracts not be allowed AFTER the season?  For example, an extension in November 2011 for what was a 2011 contract. It really isn't feasible to have this for such a realistic league.  This puts more honus on the trade deadline and free agency.

YAY - Colby, Roy, Dan (I believe you are for this), Howe, Ben (your vote was no, but your explanation suggested these should not be allowed, a lot of double negatives to sort through)
NAY -

Correct.  I am not in favor of extending regular contracts after the season.  The Prince Fielder Rule is more on not trading players without a contract, which I am also against.

7) Ben's suggestion of having an extension deadline on players with expiring contracts coincide with the trade deadine (approximately 60 days before end of season).

Can you clarify what you mean by an extension deadline that coincides with the trade deadline?  I meant more if you extend a player, we apply the June 1st for the next season rule on them, so you don't extend early in the season just so you can trade in the offseason.  If the extension kicks in on the next season's books, they should have to wait until June 1st just like if they were signed as an FA.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2011, 08:11:42 PM »
Got it Ben, so your suggestion is really part of number six extending the June 1st deadline to any extension during the year and FA contracts during the offseason?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Canada8999

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 08:18:40 PM »
Got it Ben, so your suggestion is really part of number six extending the June 1st deadline to any extension during the year and FA contracts during the offseason?

Correct.  If I wanted to game the system with our new rules, I would have extended Fielder during last season and apply it to this season's books.  Come the offseason if I decide I couldn't really afford him, can make the exact same trade all within the rules that were meant to prevent me from being able to trade him.

If you extend starting the following season, the contract should be treated the same as signing an FA during the offseason where they cannot be traded until June 1.  Applying this to the Fielder example, I would have had to go into 2011 with both him and Pujols, which was obviously not feasible and I would have had to trade one before the deadline or let one of them walk (which is the intention).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2011, 08:21:34 PM »
1) Management of salary caps for not just current year but future 5-6 years.  This is something we are doing in New Era and is much more realistic for a franchises' books.  It also prevents GMs from financially ruining future years with cash exchanges.

YAY - Roy, Dan (doesn't care on %, wants this to be called the 2010 Angels rule.)
NAY - Colby (vote changed as representative of small market teams), Howe (would approve 30% above cap), Ben

If #3 passes which seems likely, I am in favor of looking one season ahead.  If we're making extensions that apply to a future season only, we need to regulate that season as well as the current season.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2011, 10:33:08 PM »
I have no problem with the prospect extensions coming after the season, but I do have a problem with it coming after this season. I don't think we should change that rule mid-season since some GMs have already been planning differently, and the rule was written differently. So currently my vote is no on post season prospect extensions, and yes on post season regular extensions. To start prospect extension grace period post 2012, I would vote yes to that.

I don't see language in the current rules that says a prospect cannot be extended using the prospect contract after their prospect contract has expired.  The vote is whether or not it should be allowed, but based on what I'm looking at disallowing them is what would actually require a change. 

While there may be some owners who have been operating under the impression that they would not be allowed, I know I have many P-2011 players I plan to keep, and have been expecting I could extend them on the prospect extension this offseason since there is no rule that says otherwise...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:35:38 PM by Brewers GM »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2011, 11:07:40 PM »
ex·pire  (k-spr)
v. ex·pired, ex·pir·ing, ex·pires
v.intr.
1. To come to an end; terminate: My membership in the club has expired.

I think the definition of the word supports my case
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Jwalkerjr88: @Speed and @jmnt i need a clarification or an update on that trade. Detroit doesnt own 2025 LV 3rd. Please clarify on the 2025 picks
    Yesterday at 02:21:45 PM
  • jmntl82: KC sorry, wrong AFC west team
    Yesterday at 02:22:45 PM
  • Speedster18431: Sounds good I agree
    Yesterday at 02:24:23 PM
  • jmntl82: See that’s why I’ve got to trade all my picks I can’t even keep track of where they came from
    Yesterday at 02:26:12 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Thank you gentlemen
    Yesterday at 02:32:48 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: @Mt_Crushmore pm
    Yesterday at 02:33:12 PM
  • Daddy: @Rhino7 the previous Raiders ownership traded 11 picks for Aaron Donald.
    Yesterday at 02:48:03 PM
  • Daddy: Ive never seen that many picks moved except for Aaron Donald & Darius Slayton.
    Yesterday at 02:49:05 PM
  • jmntl82: Those are some high level names right there
    Yesterday at 02:49:57 PM
  • Daddy: We let GMs cook to their own visions. Picks are useless if you dont hit on them and not all draft classes are the same.
    Yesterday at 02:52:32 PM
  • Daddy: While im not always right... My personal evaluation is unless you are a true contender this 2024 class isnt one to sit out on.
    Yesterday at 02:53:22 PM
  • Daddy: I want to keep saying.. i do not know everything about sports. Nobody does. I am going to say that i know more than most and im not ashamed or embarrassed to say that.
    Yesterday at 02:54:37 PM
  • Daddy: This 2024 NFL Draft class is better than 90% of every draft ive witnessed since 1980. In NFL LIVE if you arent a top ten team, i strongly urge that you invest in 2024 draft.
    Yesterday at 02:56:18 PM
  • Daddy: Traded all your picks? So what
    Yesterday at 02:57:32 PM
  • Daddy: Look at the Rams. Look how young my team is. I hardly ever draft. There is more than one way to invest in young talent. The easiest way is the draft but its not the only way.
    Yesterday at 02:58:38 PM
  • Speedster18431: Well if no one wants their 2024 picks let me know lol
    Yesterday at 03:03:13 PM
  • Daddy: Crap me too
    Yesterday at 03:14:18 PM
  • Daddy: Unlike all these other sports, THE NFL IS A YOUNG MANS GAME. Hockey, Baseball, Basketball, play till your 40. Not just the greats... Jamie Moyer was never great, pitched till he was 44.
    Yesterday at 03:16:08 PM
  • Daddy: When current players hold their jobs ten, fifteen, twenty years... It means that many years of prospect blocking. In whatever sport.
    Yesterday at 03:17:23 PM
  • Daddy: The avg NFL career lasts 3 years. Look it up.
    Yesterday at 03:17:50 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the day for any trade talks
    Yesterday at 03:18:06 PM
  • Speedster18431: STLBlues pm
    Yesterday at 03:27:23 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Theres a new NFL Live trade block post. Carolina  :koolaid: guy
    Yesterday at 04:02:27 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Lol def meant  and not the kool aid guy
    Yesterday at 04:02:50 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: *eye emoji
    Yesterday at 04:03:03 PM
  • jmntl82: My draft pick trade broke you lol
    Yesterday at 04:04:49 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Haha maybeee
    Yesterday at 04:27:52 PM
  • Daddy: Giants TE Darren Waller is set to retire. 3yrs ago he was a top TE in the league.
    Yesterday at 06:04:36 PM
  • Daddy: Waller is 31 years old
    Yesterday at 06:05:23 PM
  • Daddy: Thats when some baseball players & hockey players peak.
    Yesterday at 06:05:48 PM
  • Daddy: @Alpha5 [link]
    Yesterday at 06:11:33 PM
  • Daddy: NHL/NFL/MLB LIVE GMs be warned, if you miss a week, you miss a lot in those leagues. Take your time building, take your time evaluating, learn at your own pace.
    Yesterday at 06:22:23 PM
  • Daddy: Just know, if you miss time at any point of the year, not just the active season. You have missed a lot. You've probably fallen behind your competition. Ten-Fifteen guys in all three of those leagues dont ever miss any opportunities.
    Yesterday at 06:24:04 PM
  • Daddy: One more thing. The NFL LIVE waiting list is longer than you see on profsl or fantrax. There are people that know people that want in that league. No pressure on anyone but i cant just hold your franchise while you draft and do nothing else.
    Yesterday at 06:33:37 PM
  • Daddy: i built College football for you guys that do that. Great scoring system, no trades, set your lineup and go getm! NFL moves too fast for that mentality. Apologies.
    Yesterday at 06:36:10 PM
  • Speedster18431: Sent couple pms put there for NFL live.  TB looking for picks in 2024 Draft  season
    Yesterday at 07:50:03 PM
  • jmntl82: @Jwalkerjr88 he's back at it again
    Yesterday at 07:53:50 PM
  • Rhino7: I Appreciate you always keeping competitive GMs in the leagues!
    Yesterday at 08:33:48 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: brian pm
    Yesterday at 09:42:10 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Here for talks
    Yesterday at 10:24:21 PM
  • Daddy: All the work we do deserves competitive GMs. Thats the point of it all.
    Yesterday at 11:17:33 PM
  • Daddy: Dynasty fantasy sports isnt for everyone. It requires patience, skill, planning, the ability to communicate thought into written word. Most times dealing with complete strangers located all over the map.
    Yesterday at 11:19:46 PM
  • Daddy: There are easier hobbies. PlayStation/Xbox, Yoga, psychic readings, ghost hunting, bunji jumping etc etc. Everyone cant do this. There is no shame.
    Yesterday at 11:22:04 PM
  • Daddy: Here are 99 hobbies you may consider in 2024 [link] :toth:
    Yesterday at 11:28:07 PM
  • Daddy: If you do however like "Dynasty Fantasy Sports" or you are curious about trying, then you are in luck. Nobody... Does it better than we do it here.
    Yesterday at 11:30:43 PM
  • Daddy: A one armed circus monkey with more legs than toes could do daily fantasy. Dont come here with that mindset.
    Yesterday at 11:34:48 PM
  • Brent: Back home in FL after spending the weekend in Myrtle Beach.
    Today at 12:11:54 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: brian pm
    Today at 12:12:55 AM
  • Daddy: @Brian & @Eric [link]
    Today at 12:42:18 AM
  • Daddy: @Brian by himself part II [link]
    Today at 12:48:10 AM