Author Topic: Official RC Vote on Clearing Extension Loopholes  (Read 17722 times)

Dan Wood

Re: Official RC Vote on Clearing Extension Loopholes
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2011, 09:06:34 PM »
final year only...it has always been one of my stipulations
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:13:35 PM by Dan Wood »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2011, 09:15:08 PM »
plus the teams with the most amount of cap for free agency, don't have major league teams...kind of unreal if we are striving for realism. Just saying.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2011, 09:23:14 PM »
Just so I am clear

Current rule: expiring contract can be extended in their last year at MV, even if MV < current value

I dont see how Dan's suggestion is different?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2011, 09:28:25 PM »
Just so I am clear

Current rule: expiring contract can be extended in their last year at MV, even if MV < current value

I dont see how Dan's suggestion is different?

Current rule says that extension is equal to Max(Current Salary, Market Value).  With our proposed rule of having actual extensions kick in the following year after an expiring contract, we can now add language that eliminates the minimum threshold of current salary.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Dan Wood

« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2011, 09:29:08 PM »
under the current rule you can extend after the season at no less than 50% of players current contract. If extendin during the season you have to pay the player no less than he is already making. We are doing away with the offseason grace period, so either sign your guys at full price regardless of value or let them leave via FA.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2011, 09:31:14 PM »
under the current rule you can extend after the season at no less than 50% of players current contract. If extendin during the season you have to pay the player no less than he is already making. We are doing away with the offseason grace period, so either sign your guys at full price regardless of value or let them leave via FA.

You are confusing me Dan.  First you want to eliminate their constraint that they must make their previous salary and now you want it?  The current rule of 50% of contract for an expired contract will go out the door with our new rules as the two conflict.  The only type of situation in which we will allow an expired contract to stay on the books after the season is an expired prospect contract.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Canada8999

« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2011, 09:38:22 PM »
#2: I am for the allowance of prospect extension (at discounted value) in the offseason. This has always been my intepretation of the rules.

This has also been my interpretation, and I am in favor of this being confirmed explicitly in the new rules.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2011, 09:52:39 PM »
You guys are confusing me on the extensions for regular contracts.

LANGUAGE – Rule #7 proposed by Ben has been lumped into this ruling.  Everyone but Howe agrees with Ben that we should keep it simple and add a rule that says veteran players (non-prospect contract) with expiring contracts have a signing deadline of July 31st.  This coincides with the trade deadline for simplicity.

Why are we setting a deadline of July 31st?  Why not the last day of the MLB season?

Rule #1 - Future Cap Management inspired by the 2010 Angels: Management of salary caps for not just current year but future 5-6 years.  This is something we are doing in New Era and is much more realistic for a franchises' books.  It also prevents GMs from financially ruining future years with cash exchanges.

If we're allowing teams to sign extensions that only kick in for a future season, that needs to be a capped season (it can be 30%, but it needs to be something).  I still dont understand the argument for looking out further than one season ... can someone please elaborate?

Rule #2 – Signing window for expired prospect contracts: Should regular contract extensions for expired prospect contracts be the only type of extensions allowable for expired contracts in the offseason?  If so, should we adopt a short window to do this such as two weeks?

I think I must have misread this rule, and I believe Dan did as well (at least from what I've read of his discussions with Howe.  I think expiring prospect contracts should be the only type of extensions allowed in the offseason.  I do not think they should have to be regular contracts, as I still believe the prospect extension should apply (you would still be buying out the players remaining arbitration years, the purpose of a prospect extension).  Owners should be able to use either the regular or the prospect.

TIMING - Do we want to introduce this rule immediately?  It truly has very little effect.  A guy like CI Daric Barton, $0.5m (P-2011) would not be eligible for a prospect extension after the end of the season.  This rule simply keeps Barton on his team’s books and allows a regular extension.  The team has rights to signing the player, but said player cannot be traded thanks to the Prince Fielder rule.

I think it would have a significant effect, as I do not believe there is a consensus that Daric Barton would not be eligible for the prospect extension. 

It is possible there were cases handled like this in the past, but it is not in the rules.  Owners should not be required to keep tabs on all transactions to know what the rules are, and if a decision is made because the rules are ambiguous then the rules should have been amended to state the interpretation for future reference.  That did not happen, and I believe there are multiple RC members who believed that Barton would be eligible (at least myself and Howe). 

The prospect extension can have significant effect on a team's decisions and this certainly needs to be discussed.  I know I have a number of valuable P-2011 players (Smith, Soto, Cabrera, Masterson, ...) and made a conscious decision not to use my cap space on them during the offseason or early this season to re-sign any because I was under the impression that I could still use the prospect extension this coming offseason (although I would have to pay slightly more, since they would be a year further along the prospect discount calculator).  Assuming #3 passes and I can use the prospect extension today on next year's books then it's not as big of a deal, but we need to at least discuss this before it's assumed illegal.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:05:34 PM by Brewers GM »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2011, 10:00:35 PM »
Rule #3 – True Extensions: I am suggesting a rule change that says contract extensions can be done one of two ways.  The first is a traditional extension which is only allowable in the last year of the current contract.  The extension is added on in future years.  For example, a 2011 contract could get a three year extension starting in 2012 and ending in 2014.   The second is our current type of extensions which is essentially a new contract overwriting the old one.  We have minimum and maximum years protecting this new contract status.

YAY - Roy (any time), Colby (one year prior), Dan, Ben (only do actual extensions one year prior), Jake
NAY - Howe (wants to keep it simple, but allow 6-year deal)

My suggestion was that we only allow extensions that are added to the existing contract (begin as soon as the current one expires), and do away with contracts overriding the current one.  I suppose I agree with only signing in the last year, to prevent teams from abusing the total length (sign a player to a 4 year deal and then extend them 5 more for a total of 9 - obviously this would not be ok).

Rule #6 – Extending players less than MV: Dan's suggestion of allowing to extend players to salaries less than their current, effective after their current contract. 

I'll wait to hear you guys out on this one since it seems there is still some confusion as to what the proposed rule is.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2011, 10:26:25 PM »
You are confusing me Dan.  First you want to eliminate their constraint that they must make their previous salary and now you want it?  The current rule of 50% of contract for an expired contract will go out the door with our new rules as the two conflict.  The only type of situation in which we will allow an expired contract to stay on the books after the season is an expired prospect contract.

Colb - the current rule states that if you re-sign a player during his contract you have match what he is making annually. If he is making 10 mil, then he has to be extended for 10 mil.

Also in the current rule we have a grace period after the season, prior to free agency, to sign our players at no less than 50% of what he is making, if his Fantrax value designates that.

What we are currently proposing is doing away with the grace period for re-signing veterans. Either sign them to a matched annual salary or let them go to free agency. At least that is what I am to understand. I am against that, because of my stated points in my prior posts.

What I am proposing is allowing an extension based on a payers value, to take hold after a players contract expires. I originally proposed 50% of the value, since that was what was already in the rules. Upon further discussion I realize that it is unrealistic to suggest a player would sign an extension at 50% of what he is currently making. I suggest we allow resigning players (veterans) that are in their final year of their contract, at 30% of their value, if that is what Fantrax determines their value is.

I realize that yes this is sort of unrealistic, but as I have stated before there are many different things at work in real life MLB that we will never be able to fully emulate. But, I do not think it is fair to lose a guy to free agency, when GMs have struggled to build their team. I am stated other reasons, but I really don't feel like rewriting them.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Braves155: Back
    Yesterday at 03:10:34 PM
  • IndianaBuc: Back
    Yesterday at 03:19:17 PM
  • Daddy: Better be glad Buc dont know hockey. He'd be IndianaPuc on yall asses.
    Yesterday at 03:54:00 PM
  • Braves155: Speaking of NHL. Anyone up for an NHL LIVE deal?
    Yesterday at 04:05:16 PM
  • Braves155: PM Blues
    Yesterday at 04:07:53 PM
  • Brent: I am.  I read up on stuff today, I think I have a direction for my Predators.
    Yesterday at 04:23:17 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Im here for NFL Live. I get the trade itch every day but ive been suppressing it. Waiting for someone to make me submit to the madness again
    Yesterday at 04:48:32 PM
  • Braves155: Pm there buddy
    Yesterday at 04:53:17 PM
  • Braves155: PM as well dbreer
    Yesterday at 04:58:57 PM
  • dbreer23: replied Braves
    Yesterday at 05:10:11 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: PM Braves
    Yesterday at 05:31:50 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey guys whats up
    Yesterday at 05:31:53 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: NHL LIVE FOLKS sharks have zadina otb any interest message me ask is prospects and picks
    Yesterday at 05:32:27 PM
  • indiansnation: Lets talk trade
    Yesterday at 05:32:30 PM
  • indiansnation: Indians mlb live looking to trade
    Yesterday at 05:37:05 PM
  • indiansnation: Nfl live colts looking for starting rb
    Yesterday at 05:37:24 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Yesterday at 05:38:39 PM
  • indiansnation: ldsjayhawks pm
    Yesterday at 05:38:48 PM
  • Daddy: Oh Crap. Trade winds blowing like P Diddy sponsored them.
    Yesterday at 05:45:23 PM
  • Daddy: Flyers, Rams, Blue Jays, 76ers have responded to all inquiries. Not that my inbox gets flooded with offers. My teams all stink.
    Yesterday at 05:47:35 PM
  • Daddy: T Wolves loaded but its too early yet. Cant wait for NBA.
    Yesterday at 05:49:02 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Yesterday at 07:25:36 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy pm
    Yesterday at 07:28:41 PM
  • Daddy: Back Brian
    Yesterday at 07:39:44 PM
  • indiansnation: Back daddy
    Yesterday at 07:47:43 PM
  • Daddy: I want to trade in NBA LIVE too. Its just the baby stages and we dont even know the summer player movement yet. Rosters will look different by the time of the draft.
    Yesterday at 07:54:55 PM
  • Daddy: Its exciting. Only CCD remains active in basketball. Ive seen LOR fail here but get picked up elsewhere and i guess its ok.
    Yesterday at 07:56:11 PM
  • Daddy: They all pretty much use the same format. NBA LIVE we feel weve revolutionized todays Dynasty basketball standards.
    Yesterday at 07:57:00 PM
  • Daddy: Cant wait to trade but weve got 11 owners to find and an entire summer of movement to track.
    Yesterday at 07:58:52 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm offer sent
    Yesterday at 07:58:55 PM
  • Daddy: Lots of traffic onsite. Weve been near 1000 visitors all day. Im told they find out chat entertaining. Thats funny. If you are visiting and see this chat.
    Yesterday at 08:02:20 PM
  • Daddy: Welcome to ProFsl. We do Fantasy "Dynasty" Sports here & we do it better than anyone else.
    Yesterday at 08:03:08 PM
  • Daddy: Better than your site. Better than your Leagues. Better than anyone else ever cared to do it. Legends of dynasty sports have and continue to play here
    Yesterday at 08:04:12 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 post it
    Yesterday at 08:11:03 PM
  • Daddy: If you like fantasy sports but all you do is read the chat. You got no clue what you are missing out on.
    Yesterday at 08:13:21 PM
  • Daddy: We are why you bothered to try fantasy sports. We give you everything you need here to live out your dynastic fantasy dreams. Against real world wide competition.
    Yesterday at 08:14:32 PM
  • Braves155: Nice dealing Brian, posted
    Yesterday at 08:22:53 PM
  • indiansnation: Still looking to make trades in mlb live if anyone is up for it
    Yesterday at 11:45:44 PM
  • Daddy: Im looking for an SP. We all value pitching in LIVE.
    Today at 12:01:51 AM
  • Daddy: Bradish! :soapbox: your elbow may cost me everything.
    Today at 12:02:55 AM
  • indiansnation: Man thats gotta suck
    Today at 12:41:47 AM
  • indiansnation: i think i mentioned that to u daddy u lack debth in sp
    Today at 12:42:27 AM
  • indiansnation: Looking to trade in mlb live
    Today at 12:45:05 AM
  • Daddy: Shut up Brian
    Today at 01:32:49 AM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for a few hours for any trade talk
    Today at 02:15:20 AM
  • indiansnation: Happy fathers day
    Today at 07:26:56 AM
  • indiansnation: Morning dave w jimw
    Today at 08:22:53 AM
  • indiansnation: Nhllive pittsburgh has 5th rd pick and 4th rd pick in 2025 to move
    Today at 08:23:54 AM
  • indiansnation: Looking for guys with upside def and rw
    Today at 08:24:28 AM
  • DaveW: Happy Father’s Day everyone
    Today at 10:40:13 AM