Author Topic: Need help understanding pitching scoring  (Read 13779 times)

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :ORL:
    • :TBL:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
Re: Need help understanding pitching scoring
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2011, 08:58:14 PM »
Mike for President, 2012! :iatp:

You've got dibs on your choice of VP, Sec of State or Chief of Staff!   :toast:

Who are we kidding, there's no place in politics for a social moderate/ fiscal conservative  :rofl:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's not the deep water that drowns us...we die because we stop kicking.

Canada8999

« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2011, 09:09:58 PM »
I'd go along with this as well, except it appears the majority would rather adjust a system they are not happy with.  Regardelss of whether or not we make the changes I'd personally like to see, I will not be taking my ball and going home.  Constructive criticism and constantly analyzing a system with so many moving parts is not "bashing or *itching," it is due dilligence on the part of league participants.  Does MLB look at division alignment, wildcards, DH, ect on a "constant" basis.  Yep.  Does the NFL visit revenue sharing, 18 games schedules, shorter preseasons, larger active rosters, ect on a "constant" basis.  Again, yep.  If one is looking for a league where their thoughts and ideas are paramount, one could create a 4-8 team league where everyone thinks exactly alike.  If one is trying to field a 30 team league, one had better be prepared to have debate and dissenting voices aimed at their positions.  This is a free league.  If 1,000 Bill James' said that our scoring system was terrific, it still would not change the fact that a majority of GM's do not favor it.  There are no algorithms to dispute this.  I am a saber myself, but realize that data, if viewed through only one prism, can and will be skewed.  Dress it as you will, but the scoring system does not reflect real life VALUE.  Again, if my team walks 20 batters and wins 1-0, the pitcher did his job.  He recorded 27 outs without giving up a run.  To me, the offense was LUCKY to get the walks and the pitcher was SKILLED in working around them.  Viewed either way, how can one side say the other is wrong?  Does it not come down to preference?

I do want to point out that before the current system was put into place there was a league wide vote on which categories would be used, working from a list of categories nominated by any league member.  At the time it was deemed a firm scoring system was required and it should not be revised, since all future moves would be based on that player evaluation.

I agree with many of your points, and I think we're all working towards getting on the same page here to reach a system most can agree with.  If the turnover in this league has been sufficient enough that we need to revise the system to keep everyone happy then so be it, but I will argue again that once we put a new system in place it needs to locked down - we cannot revamp the scoring every few seasons.  More so than any other section of the rules, too many decisions depend on a stable scoring system.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 09:11:44 PM by Brewers GM »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2011, 09:10:29 PM »
Taking Dan's idea, I tried to some testing using the current year data. Here are some preliminary results (I did this in 15 minutes) using the following scoring system:

IP   5
BB   -4
K   7.5
HR   -10
XBHA   -8
GB   1.5

I tried to balance it so the the overall value for pitchers do not increase (at least for the top 100 starters).

I think this is better balance between the sabermetric statistics and the conventional statistics. We can play around with the weights. This is a just a first draft, but at least now we have a tangible alternative.

I think these are good categories to work with.

We would want XBHA to not include HR since HR is a separate category, making it 2B+3B.  Now I don't think doubles and triples are within the pitchers control, but its not a huge stretch and is a good compromise. 

If we are including these and HR, GB will be inherent and we do not need to include them explicitly (pitchers who induce more GB will naturally allow fewer XBH/H as most GB go for singles, occasionally doubles)

Instead of IP, we could consider Outs - K, so we don't double count K's.

With respect to weighing, I agree with Colby that we need to stay within the current % distribution of Hitting/Fielding/Pitching, which is defined in the rules as 47% / 17% / 36%.  However, before we jump into assigning specific weights, I believe we should formally agree on what categories are to be used.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2011, 09:38:38 PM »
I do want to point out that before the current system was put into place there was a league wide vote on which categories would be used, working from a list of categories nominated by any league member.  At the time it was deemed a firm scoring system was required and it should not be revised, since all future moves would be based on that player evaluation.

I agree with many of your points, and I think we're all working towards getting on the same page here to reach a system most can agree with.  If the turnover in this league has been sufficient enough that we need to revise the system to keep everyone happy then so be it, but I will argue again that once we put a new system in place it needs to locked down - we cannot revamp the scoring every few seasons.  More so than any other section of the rules, too many decisions depend on a stable scoring system.

Ben, I appreciate and understand your concern. It sucks to plan ahead only to have the scoring system change. The good news is with my initial proposal, 68% of the top 100 SPs would see their total points change by less than +/- 10%.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2011, 12:15:27 PM »
:bump:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

lp815

« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2011, 08:05:41 PM »
Maybe the first course of action would be to set up a poll with one simple question:  Do we need to change the official scoring system in FGM, yes or no?  I'd recommend if we have a 2/3 majority, we go from there.  We have only heard from probably 10 members regarding this, a poll might get the other members to voice their opinions.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Daniel

• MVP
    • :LAL:
    • :LA:
    • :UCLA:
    • :LIV:
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2011, 10:15:03 PM »
While I do agree that there is something wrong with our pitching scoring system, particularly when I see that Joe Francis with his 5.04 era is averaging 10 more points per start than Josh Tomlin with his 2.70 era, I have to say that any changes made should be done for the year 2013, as to minimize the future damage for those who have built their squads based on the current scoring system. The proposed changes diminish greatly the value of control pitchers and groundball pitchers which have been the targets of many GMs in the league.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Franchise GM: Toronto Blue Jays

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2011, 11:42:48 PM »
While I do agree that there is something wrong with our pitching scoring system, particularly when I see that Joe Francis with his 5.04 era is averaging 10 more points per start than Josh Tomlin with his 2.70 era, I have to say that any changes made should be done for the year 2013, as to minimize the future damage for those who have built their squads based on the current scoring system. The proposed changes diminish greatly the value of control pitchers and groundball pitchers which have been the targets of many GMs in the league.

OR we phase them in... the changes will be slight adjustments to GB, BB, and IP and perhaps an inclusion of FB and XBHA (with HR already included)
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Canada8999

« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2011, 09:40:23 AM »

OR we phase them in... the changes will be slight adjustments to GB, BB, and IP and perhaps an inclusion of FB and XBHA (with HR already included)

I think we are aware of the risks/concerns of changing the scoring system, and should take care to make sure any changes are implemented in a timeline that will have an 'acceptable' impact on owners who built their teams for the current system.  I think we've got a few steps to go through before we decide on how to implement though, as it will depend on how significant the changes end up being (if they're pretty minor, we may decide to start for 2012, if they're more significant we may want to wait longer). 

One step at a time though, and I agree with Jake that the first step should be a league wide vote on whether or not we should make any changes, and it needs 2/3 "Yes" votes to be approved (20 total votes, not just 66% of participants).  I think the next step is solidifying which categories, then weights, then when we implement.  If we want to re-visit the IP limit (which has been discussed some), it should be in a separate thread.

My two cents...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2011, 09:42:35 AM »
Maybe the first course of action would be to set up a poll with one simple question:  Do we need to change the official scoring system in FGM, yes or no?  I'd recommend if we have a 2/3 majority, we go from there.  We have only heard from probably 10 members regarding this, a poll might get the other members to voice their opinions.

:iatp:

... although I would narrow the scope of the poll to "Do we need to change the official scoring system for pitchers in FCM, yes or no?"

20 Yes votes we move forward with picking categories and assigning weights
else, the discussion is closed (at least until the offseason, when I'm sure it will be brought up and we can have the vote again).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 09:45:10 AM by Brewers GM »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • BayAreaBallers: *championships
    Today at 01:12:05 AM
  • Daddy: In what sport? I aint creating water polo or luge LIVE
    Today at 01:13:30 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Any
    Today at 01:13:52 AM
  • Daddy: Wont be no pickleball or billiards. All you gonna do is receive foots.
    Today at 01:14:13 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Not any NHL rebuilding. MLB I'm pretty much up there. NFL I can repeat. NBA im ready for it
    Today at 01:14:55 AM
  • Daddy: I got a special boot. For datass this football season.
    Today at 01:14:59 AM
  • indiansnation: Bayareaballers pm
    Today at 01:15:00 AM
  • Daddy: I call it Bruce
    Today at 01:15:15 AM
  • Daddy: Im gonna put Bruce all in datass
    Today at 01:15:29 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: LMAOOO daddy you an I will bicker talk Crap it won't phase me
    Today at 01:16:48 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: I will continue to fit
    Today at 01:17:01 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Brian replied
    Today at 01:17:08 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: *fight
    Today at 01:17:19 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Brian you can post
    Today at 01:17:45 AM
  • Daddy: And whats this Im rebuilding in Hockey crap? Oh noooooo bruh. Im gonna rebuild this foot in that shiney hiney there as well.
    Today at 01:17:46 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Bruh I am tearing my team down for a reason
    Today at 01:18:27 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Trust me I will do work in draft
    Today at 01:18:52 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: And get this team to where I Wanna go in due time
    Today at 01:19:10 AM
  • Daddy: I got my reasons too. Forgive me for what my fantasy teams do.
    Today at 01:19:41 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: yeah ik u a tough out
    Today at 01:21:52 AM
  • Daddy: Thats why i want it to be a fair fight and the best guys doing it.
    Today at 01:24:09 AM
  • Daddy: If you had the best guys on Earth all take evenly matched teams and took all handcuffs off, who would be left standing?
    Today at 01:25:09 AM
  • Daddy: We eliminate all excuses
    Today at 01:25:21 AM
  • Daddy: SS no excuse, fantrax no excuse, non active gms no excuse, i gets rid of dead weight. Fukm
    Today at 01:26:05 AM
  • Daddy: Dont have money no excuse, dont have time no excuse, the league sux..... Nope. They dont. No excuse.
    Today at 01:27:11 AM
  • Daddy: Nobody holding you back
    Today at 01:27:31 AM
  • indiansnation: Bayareaballers trade posted in NHL live
    Today at 01:27:33 AM
  • Daddy: But you
    Today at 01:27:45 AM
  • indiansnation: Hey when will NBA live be up and running daddy
    Today at 01:28:20 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: im replying to it thx Brian
    Today at 01:28:52 AM
  • Daddy: Its a lot of work Brian but there is soooo mich excitement for it im trying to get started to be done by the upcoming season.
    Today at 01:29:39 AM
  • Daddy: I believe we will be ready by September/October
    Today at 01:30:14 AM
  • Daddy: We usually exceed my expectations
    Today at 01:30:32 AM
  • indiansnation: Just asking once its done u won't know what to do after all the live leagues our done
    Today at 01:32:59 AM
  • Daddy: Run my team. Just like you.
    Today at 01:44:21 AM
  • Daddy: Corey had the right idea but did it wrong. So much of it was fake. League rules were impeding league success and ability to achieve growth. Even back then things were tooooo sloowwww. I would wait a week before a FA was added to my team. Two weeks before added to my SS.
    Today at 01:46:52 AM
  • Daddy: You know how many fuqn moves i make in 2 weeks? Its my fault im busy somehow? Thats a bad thing?
    Today at 01:47:41 AM
  • Daddy: We gambling, playing for money, im waiting two weeks for a SS update? Daduq!!!?!!
    Today at 01:48:45 AM
  • Daddy: Fuq!!!
    Today at 01:48:58 AM
  • Daddy: You fuqn kidding me? Im doing the same Crap on another site. Playing for money
    Today at 01:49:33 AM
  • Daddy: Got no clue how much cap i really got. He got guys on my SS been gone a month. Thats the product? AND IM PAYING A FEE FOR THAT??? DA FUQ!?!?!
    Today at 01:50:32 AM
  • Daddy: And the scoring is corny on top of it
    Today at 01:51:13 AM
  • Daddy: League got ten great teams twenty Crapty ones
    Today at 01:51:36 AM
  • Daddy: FUQ THAT PRODUCT
    Today at 01:51:57 AM
  • Daddy: I tried saying, they asked me if i ever ran a league before (like they all do) so, i stfu and laced up Bruce.
    Today at 01:53:48 AM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE has been open for one day... Weve got 103 "archived" posts. Meaning fully processed SS & Fantrax.
    Today at 02:30:59 AM
  • Daddy: A dozen trades have been made, Connor McDavid found a new Country to play for.
    Today at 02:32:28 AM
  • Daddy: Let me ask you... What has any other hockey league done in the last 24 hours?
    Today at 02:33:00 AM
  • Daddy: Including the NHL
    Today at 02:33:40 AM
  • Daddy: This LIVE Crap is next level. See for yourself.
    Today at 02:34:21 AM