Author Topic: Official RC Vote on Clearing Extension Loopholes  (Read 16740 times)

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
Re: Official RC Vote on Clearing Extension Loopholes
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 10:24:51 PM »
I agree with you completely Howe on both points.  I like the 30% idea as well.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Canada8999

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 12:02:46 AM »
I'm not really sold on the value #1 would bring.

What's the difference between allowing teams to sign extensions that don't go on the books until the next season and allowing teams to re-sign expired contracts during the offseason?  I'm not seeing it ...

I agree that sign and trades are unrealistic.  I think if we state that you cannot trade a player who is not under contract, then our existing 60 day window should prevent a sign-and-trade.  To the point someone made about that still falling within the offseason, maybe we revise the rule to be 60 days of MLB in-season?

As has been stated, the obviously the catch here is timing.  Some owners have been operating under the assumption that last offseason's discussions are the new rules since there was a lot of support (no sign and trades, no offseason extensions), and others that the rules have not changed since there was never an actual change made (no vote, no amendments).  In the end, some people are probably going to be pissed with whatever is decided, so we need to make sure we make the best choice for the future and consider short-term exceptions afterwards (although they should be avoided / minimized if possible) ...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 12:23:53 AM »
These rules are very dependent upon each other, but here's my tentative YES/NO:

1 - NO
I don't see the value of looking 5-6 years out.  If #3 passes, I would revise my vote as we should certainly consider looking an additional year out.

2 - YES
I went back and forth on this one, but I agree with Roy - in MLB these players would not be free agents, they'd be owned for another 3 years by their teams with arbitration contracts (players are typically owned for 6 arbitration years).  If they're not free to walk in MLB, they should not be free to walk in our league.  The intention of the prospect extension is to mimic a player having their arbitration years bought out, and it should still be applicable. 

If #3 passes I'd consider switching to NO for simplicities sake as #2 and #4 should become mostly mute, but there's always the risk of a deadbeat owner asleep at the wheel during the season, and a new GM should have the chance to offer the extension during the offseason.

3 - YES
But I would say we only go with the new type.  We have enough complexity, what is the value of carrying both types of extensions?  Signing an extension to start the following season allows teams to handle it on the future books.  Isn't this more representative of how extensions work anyway?

4 - NO
Pending the acceptance of #3, this should become a mute point.  Even if #3 is rejected, MLB teams only have a 24 hour exclusive negotiating window that is rarely used, since players might as well hit FA and see how it goes.

#5 - Should teams be able to trade expiring contracts?  NO
We can call it the Prince Fielder rule, and I think everyone's opinion was voice pretty clearly last offseason that this is not realistic.  I think we also need some language to prevent teams from re-signing what would be an expiring contract 60-days before the season ends, if #3 passes they can even do it on next years books, and then still be able to trade what would otherwise be an expired contract. 

If #3 passes, we should note that their 60-day clock does not start until the extension does, and we might also want to modify that rule to be 60 days of MLB In-Season (to avoid what someone else pointed out about keeping them on the books for 60 days of offseason but still moving them before needing to play a game).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Online rcankosy

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 12:47:27 PM »
I'm thinking that going back to our original deadline of June 1st for allowing trades of newly signed FAs might work as well as an in-season 60 day rule.  I'm also thinking that it might be fine to trade FAs picked up during the season without having to wait 60 days, because they are not that good for the most part and they don't have much effect on the salary caps.  Just trying to keep it simple. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 02:06:58 PM »
I just wanted to throw something in the mix. It is something I have suggested before. Allowing teams to sign a player to extensions, that are at his current value, but below his current contract value. The extensions would start the following year. There would obviously have to be a minimum amount of years in order to do this. A prime example of this is Aaron Harang. His contract in 2010 was for 10 mil, his value was in the 6 mil range. If we had a rule like this in place, then the Dodgers (the team that owned him at the time) could have resigned him for an additional 3 years at 6 mil. Also, if the dodgers wanted to trade him in 2011 (when the contract would have kicked in) they would have had to wait until June 1.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 04:20:22 PM »
Voting thus far
1) Management of salary caps for not just current year but future 5-6 years.  This is something we are doing in New Era and is much more realistic for a franchises' books.  It also prevents GMs from financially ruining future years with cash exchanges.

YAY - Roy, Dan
NAY - Colby (vote changed as representative of small market teams), Howe (would approve 30% above cap), Ben

2) Should prospect extensions be the only type of extensions allowable for expired contracts in the offseason?  If so, should we adopt a short window to do this such as two weeks?  I say we allow expiring prospect contracts to be signed to regular extensions after the season ends, but not to prospect extensions per our current rules.

YAY - Roy (deadline of January 1st / FA), Colby, Dan, Ben
NAY -

3) I am suggesting a rule change that says contract extensions can be done one of two ways.  The first is a traditional extension which is only allowable in the last year of the current contract.  The extension is added on in future years.  For example, a 2011 contract could get a three year extension starting in 2012 and ending in 2014.   The second is our current type of extensions which is essentially a new contract overwriting the old one.  We have minimum and maximum years protecting this new contract status.

YAY - Roy (any time), Colby (one year prior), Dan, Ben (only do actual extensions one year prior)
NAY - Howe (wants to keep it simple, but allow 6-year deal)

4) Prince Fielder Rule - Should regular extensions on expiring contracts not be allowed AFTER the season?  For example, an extension in November 2011 for what was a 2011 contract. It really isn't feasible to have this for such a realistic league.  This puts more honus on the trade deadline and free agency.

YAY - Colby, Roy, Dan (I believe you are for this), Howe, Ben (your vote was no, but your explanation suggested these should not be allowed, a lot of double negatives to sort through)
NAY -

5) In addition to our 60-day NTC rule, any players signed to extensions and FA contracts in the offseason cannot be traded until June 1st the following year.

YAY - Roy, Dan, Howe, Colby
NAY -

6) Dan's suggeston of allowing to extend players to salaries less than their current, effective after their current contract.  This is an addendum on to Rule #3.

YAY - Dan
NAY - Colby (have them go to FA if you want lower salary)

7) Ben's suggestion of having an extension deadline on players with expiring contracts coincide with the trade deadine (approximately 60 days before end of season).

YAY - Ben, Colby
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 04:48:40 PM »
Voting thus far
1) Management of salary caps for not just current year but future 5-6 years.  This is something we are doing in New Era and is much more realistic for a franchises' books.  It also prevents GMs from financially ruining future years with cash exchanges.

YAY - Roy, Dan
NAY - Colby (vote changed as representative of small market teams), Howe (would approve 30% above cap), Ben

2) Should prospect extensions be the only type of extensions allowable for expired contracts in the offseason?  If so, should we adopt a short window to do this such as two weeks?  I say we allow expiring prospect contracts to be signed to regular extensions after the season ends, but not to prospect extensions per our current rules.

YAY - Roy (deadline of January 1st / FA), Colby, Dan, Ben
NAY -

3) I am suggesting a rule change that says contract extensions can be done one of two ways.  The first is a traditional extension which is only allowable in the last year of the current contract.  The extension is added on in future years.  For example, a 2011 contract could get a three year extension starting in 2012 and ending in 2014.   The second is our current type of extensions which is essentially a new contract overwriting the old one.  We have minimum and maximum years protecting this new contract status.

YAY - Roy (any time), Colby (one year prior), Dan, Ben (only do actual extensions one year prior)

4) Prince Fielder Rule - Should regular extensions on expiring contracts not be allowed AFTER the season?  For example, an extension in November 2011 for what was a 2011 contract. It really isn't feasible to have this for such a realistic league.  This puts more honus on the trade deadline and free agency.

YAY - Colby, Roy, Dan (I believe you are for this), Howe, Ben (your vote was no, but your explanation suggested these should not be allowed, a lot of double negatives to sort through)
NAY -

5) In addition to our 60-day NTC rule, any players signed to extensions and FA contracts in the offseason cannot be traded until June 1st the following year.

NAY -

6) Dan's suggeston of allowing to extend players to salaries less than their current, effective after their current contract.  This is an addendum on to Rule #3.

YAY - Dan

7) Ben's suggestion of having an extension deadline on players with expiring contracts coincide with the trade deadine (approximately 60 days before end of season).

YAY - Ben, Colby

1. I don't care on the percentage, I just think it should be considered to avoid an Angels type situation, where someone takes on a team and HAS to trade players because he cannot resign them - VMart comes to mind.

2. I don't think prospect extensions should be allowed once they expire at the end of the season. I do think people should be able to resign their players to regular contracts after the season ends if they do have the money. Unless #6 is adopted, it gives us an opportunity to resign players below what they are currently making - if that is where their value is. If we allow them to go to FA, then they may become more expensive due to the lack of talent on the market. This helps all GMs with year to year planning.

3. 6 feeds into this, so if I am for #6, I am for contracts being at the end of a current contract, that start the following year.

4. Prince Fielder rule. I am against trading guys without contracts or players recently resigned.

5. yay
6. yay
7. yay - however if a player changes teams, I think his new teams should be given the opportunity to offer a new contract to the player - the day after the signing.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 05:09:02 PM »
Voting thus far

YAY - Roy, Dan (doesn't care on %, wants this to be called the 2010 Angels rule.)

2) Should regular contract extensions for expired prospect contracts be the only type of extensions allowable for expired contracts in the offseason?  If so, should we adopt a short window to do this such as two weeks?

YAY - Roy (deadline of January 1st / FA), Colby (begin of FA), Dan, Ben
NAY -

NAY -

NAY -

YAY - Dan

YAY - Ben, Colby, Dan
NAY -
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
    • :ORL:
    • :TBL:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 05:12:18 PM »
I just wanted to throw something in the mix. It is something I have suggested before. Allowing teams to sign a player to extensions, that are at his current value, but below his current contract value. The extensions would start the following year. There would obviously have to be a minimum amount of years in order to do this. A prime example of this is Aaron Harang. His contract in 2010 was for 10 mil, his value was in the 6 mil range. If we had a rule like this in place, then the Dodgers (the team that owned him at the time) could have resigned him for an additional 3 years at 6 mil. Also, if the dodgers wanted to trade him in 2011 (when the contract would have kicked in) they would have had to wait until June 1.

I think this is a fine idea!  I'm just sorry I hadn't seen it before or else I would have been banging the drum for it :)
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's not the deep water that drowns us...we die because we stop kicking.

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 05:15:13 PM »
2 - NO - Since in real life, arbitration doesn't occur until the season is over.

6 - NO - too exploitable
7. - No - too much going on at that time, I'd rather wait until season end.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • TheGOAT: Not that hes bad
    May 17, 2024, 08:13:06 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: think rn my qb room is minshew dobbs wentz
    May 17, 2024, 08:22:37 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: We look forward to your return to the playoffs @Thegoat
    May 17, 2024, 08:22:51 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: You and your brother camw in guns blazing a few years back. The NFC is not the gauntlet the AFC is. Once you make the title game, all bets are off
    May 17, 2024, 08:23:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: nfc is still tough
    May 17, 2024, 08:25:23 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i had a tough road
    May 17, 2024, 08:25:37 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: to get to teh ship lot of good teams i knocked out
    May 17, 2024, 08:25:50 PM
  • Brent: Carr is OTB for those who don't want a rookie.
    May 18, 2024, 08:17:12 AM
  • Daddy: The NHL LIVE sign up sheet in the bullpen has nearly 87,000 views. Which is insane.
    May 18, 2024, 11:47:58 AM
  • Daddy: Whats more insane is we still have 3 open teams
    May 18, 2024, 11:48:37 AM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE [link] start new, start from today, sign up.
    May 18, 2024, 11:49:27 AM
  • indiansnation: Who is looking to trade in mlb live?
    May 18, 2024, 04:19:30 PM
  • Braves155: Sup guys. Will be around rest of afternoon
    May 18, 2024, 05:42:19 PM
  • dbreer23: Cubs in FGM looking to deal as the rebuild begins. See updated trade block. Thanks!
    May 18, 2024, 08:34:32 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: Dan PM
    May 18, 2024, 09:41:36 PM
  • indiansnation: Bayarea pm
    May 18, 2024, 11:49:06 PM
  • Daddy: Where did all the traffic go? We topped out at less than 170 Guests today at one time.
    Yesterday at 12:04:15 AM
  • Braves155: Responded Brian
    Yesterday at 12:04:57 AM
  • Daddy: When im talkin chit we get about 900 Guests :rofl:
    Yesterday at 12:07:03 AM
  • indiansnation: Bayarea new pm
    Yesterday at 12:22:37 AM
  • indiansnation: I wasnt on lol @daddy
    Yesterday at 12:23:17 AM
  • Daddy: Well its gon up to 183 & we can all use more Brian in our lives.
    Yesterday at 12:26:24 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Brian give me a second to look at your latest message. While we were talking had lost power here and only got it back later in the night
    Yesterday at 10:09:04 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Will respond back shortly
    Yesterday at 10:09:12 AM
  • Braves155: Morning guys
    Yesterday at 10:34:10 AM
  • Braves155: Who wanna talk deals?
    Yesterday at 10:47:10 AM
  • IndianaBuc: Braves155 PM
    Yesterday at 11:16:47 AM
  • Braves155: Responded
    Yesterday at 11:17:23 AM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Yesterday at 12:39:44 PM
  • Braves155: Responded indians
    Yesterday at 12:43:07 PM
  • dbreer23: Cubs are dealing in FGM, hit me up
    Yesterday at 12:59:38 PM
  • Braves155: Looking for an OF in FGM. IN Armchair looking to re-tool/rebuild a bit. Snell and others could be avail
    Yesterday at 01:09:11 PM
  • Braves155: PM Davew
    Yesterday at 01:23:10 PM
  • dbreer23: Brian CLE PM
    Yesterday at 01:49:57 PM
  • Braves155: PM BAB
    Yesterday at 03:29:20 PM
  • indiansnation: Bayareaballers pm trade posted in fgm
    Yesterday at 03:56:17 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves ill send u message soon
    Yesterday at 03:56:32 PM
  • indiansnation: Dbreer23 pm
    Yesterday at 03:58:46 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Yesterday at 04:35:11 PM
  • indiansnation: Watching boston kick the living crap out of cardinals
    Yesterday at 04:53:49 PM
  • Braves155: Great seeing the Knicks get schooled
    Yesterday at 06:37:35 PM
  • Rhino7: I agree, pacers will be a better match vs Celtics
    Yesterday at 07:02:21 PM
  • Braves155: But just like anytime Stephen A. gets hyped for the Knicks, they disappear in big games
    Yesterday at 07:08:00 PM
  • TheGOAT: Celtics would probably win it all
    Yesterday at 07:20:01 PM
  • Braves155: Looking forward to TWolves-Nuggets tonight
    Yesterday at 07:22:40 PM
  • TheGOAT: Around for trade talks in NFL Live
    Yesterday at 08:07:18 PM
  • Braves155: Likewise
    Yesterday at 08:22:40 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: What you looking for? @Thegoat?
    Yesterday at 11:01:43 PM
  • Rhino7: Down goes the Champs! Nuggs out
    Yesterday at 11:56:44 PM
  • Daddy: That Minnesota NBA LIVE team aint lookin too bad right now. Should be fun!
    Today at 12:00:46 AM