Author Topic: Need help understanding pitching scoring  (Read 13528 times)

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :ORL:
    • :TBL:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
Re: Need help understanding pitching scoring
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2011, 08:58:14 PM »
Mike for President, 2012! :iatp:

You've got dibs on your choice of VP, Sec of State or Chief of Staff!   :toast:

Who are we kidding, there's no place in politics for a social moderate/ fiscal conservative  :rofl:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's not the deep water that drowns us...we die because we stop kicking.

Canada8999

« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2011, 09:09:58 PM »
I'd go along with this as well, except it appears the majority would rather adjust a system they are not happy with.  Regardelss of whether or not we make the changes I'd personally like to see, I will not be taking my ball and going home.  Constructive criticism and constantly analyzing a system with so many moving parts is not "bashing or *itching," it is due dilligence on the part of league participants.  Does MLB look at division alignment, wildcards, DH, ect on a "constant" basis.  Yep.  Does the NFL visit revenue sharing, 18 games schedules, shorter preseasons, larger active rosters, ect on a "constant" basis.  Again, yep.  If one is looking for a league where their thoughts and ideas are paramount, one could create a 4-8 team league where everyone thinks exactly alike.  If one is trying to field a 30 team league, one had better be prepared to have debate and dissenting voices aimed at their positions.  This is a free league.  If 1,000 Bill James' said that our scoring system was terrific, it still would not change the fact that a majority of GM's do not favor it.  There are no algorithms to dispute this.  I am a saber myself, but realize that data, if viewed through only one prism, can and will be skewed.  Dress it as you will, but the scoring system does not reflect real life VALUE.  Again, if my team walks 20 batters and wins 1-0, the pitcher did his job.  He recorded 27 outs without giving up a run.  To me, the offense was LUCKY to get the walks and the pitcher was SKILLED in working around them.  Viewed either way, how can one side say the other is wrong?  Does it not come down to preference?

I do want to point out that before the current system was put into place there was a league wide vote on which categories would be used, working from a list of categories nominated by any league member.  At the time it was deemed a firm scoring system was required and it should not be revised, since all future moves would be based on that player evaluation.

I agree with many of your points, and I think we're all working towards getting on the same page here to reach a system most can agree with.  If the turnover in this league has been sufficient enough that we need to revise the system to keep everyone happy then so be it, but I will argue again that once we put a new system in place it needs to locked down - we cannot revamp the scoring every few seasons.  More so than any other section of the rules, too many decisions depend on a stable scoring system.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 09:11:44 PM by Brewers GM »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2011, 09:10:29 PM »
Taking Dan's idea, I tried to some testing using the current year data. Here are some preliminary results (I did this in 15 minutes) using the following scoring system:

IP   5
BB   -4
K   7.5
HR   -10
XBHA   -8
GB   1.5

I tried to balance it so the the overall value for pitchers do not increase (at least for the top 100 starters).

I think this is better balance between the sabermetric statistics and the conventional statistics. We can play around with the weights. This is a just a first draft, but at least now we have a tangible alternative.

I think these are good categories to work with.

We would want XBHA to not include HR since HR is a separate category, making it 2B+3B.  Now I don't think doubles and triples are within the pitchers control, but its not a huge stretch and is a good compromise. 

If we are including these and HR, GB will be inherent and we do not need to include them explicitly (pitchers who induce more GB will naturally allow fewer XBH/H as most GB go for singles, occasionally doubles)

Instead of IP, we could consider Outs - K, so we don't double count K's.

With respect to weighing, I agree with Colby that we need to stay within the current % distribution of Hitting/Fielding/Pitching, which is defined in the rules as 47% / 17% / 36%.  However, before we jump into assigning specific weights, I believe we should formally agree on what categories are to be used.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2011, 09:38:38 PM »
I do want to point out that before the current system was put into place there was a league wide vote on which categories would be used, working from a list of categories nominated by any league member.  At the time it was deemed a firm scoring system was required and it should not be revised, since all future moves would be based on that player evaluation.

I agree with many of your points, and I think we're all working towards getting on the same page here to reach a system most can agree with.  If the turnover in this league has been sufficient enough that we need to revise the system to keep everyone happy then so be it, but I will argue again that once we put a new system in place it needs to locked down - we cannot revamp the scoring every few seasons.  More so than any other section of the rules, too many decisions depend on a stable scoring system.

Ben, I appreciate and understand your concern. It sucks to plan ahead only to have the scoring system change. The good news is with my initial proposal, 68% of the top 100 SPs would see their total points change by less than +/- 10%.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2011, 12:15:27 PM »
:bump:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

lp815

« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2011, 08:05:41 PM »
Maybe the first course of action would be to set up a poll with one simple question:  Do we need to change the official scoring system in FGM, yes or no?  I'd recommend if we have a 2/3 majority, we go from there.  We have only heard from probably 10 members regarding this, a poll might get the other members to voice their opinions.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Daniel

• MVP
    • :LAL:
    • :LA:
    • :UCLA:
    • :LIV:
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2011, 10:15:03 PM »
While I do agree that there is something wrong with our pitching scoring system, particularly when I see that Joe Francis with his 5.04 era is averaging 10 more points per start than Josh Tomlin with his 2.70 era, I have to say that any changes made should be done for the year 2013, as to minimize the future damage for those who have built their squads based on the current scoring system. The proposed changes diminish greatly the value of control pitchers and groundball pitchers which have been the targets of many GMs in the league.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Franchise GM: Toronto Blue Jays

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2011, 11:42:48 PM »
While I do agree that there is something wrong with our pitching scoring system, particularly when I see that Joe Francis with his 5.04 era is averaging 10 more points per start than Josh Tomlin with his 2.70 era, I have to say that any changes made should be done for the year 2013, as to minimize the future damage for those who have built their squads based on the current scoring system. The proposed changes diminish greatly the value of control pitchers and groundball pitchers which have been the targets of many GMs in the league.

OR we phase them in... the changes will be slight adjustments to GB, BB, and IP and perhaps an inclusion of FB and XBHA (with HR already included)
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Canada8999

« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2011, 09:40:23 AM »

OR we phase them in... the changes will be slight adjustments to GB, BB, and IP and perhaps an inclusion of FB and XBHA (with HR already included)

I think we are aware of the risks/concerns of changing the scoring system, and should take care to make sure any changes are implemented in a timeline that will have an 'acceptable' impact on owners who built their teams for the current system.  I think we've got a few steps to go through before we decide on how to implement though, as it will depend on how significant the changes end up being (if they're pretty minor, we may decide to start for 2012, if they're more significant we may want to wait longer). 

One step at a time though, and I agree with Jake that the first step should be a league wide vote on whether or not we should make any changes, and it needs 2/3 "Yes" votes to be approved (20 total votes, not just 66% of participants).  I think the next step is solidifying which categories, then weights, then when we implement.  If we want to re-visit the IP limit (which has been discussed some), it should be in a separate thread.

My two cents...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2011, 09:42:35 AM »
Maybe the first course of action would be to set up a poll with one simple question:  Do we need to change the official scoring system in FGM, yes or no?  I'd recommend if we have a 2/3 majority, we go from there.  We have only heard from probably 10 members regarding this, a poll might get the other members to voice their opinions.

:iatp:

... although I would narrow the scope of the poll to "Do we need to change the official scoring system for pitchers in FCM, yes or no?"

20 Yes votes we move forward with picking categories and assigning weights
else, the discussion is closed (at least until the offseason, when I'm sure it will be brought up and we can have the vote again).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 09:45:10 AM by Brewers GM »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: Dbreer23 pm
    May 19, 2024, 03:58:46 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    May 19, 2024, 04:35:11 PM
  • indiansnation: Watching boston kick the living crap out of cardinals
    May 19, 2024, 04:53:49 PM
  • Braves155: Great seeing the Knicks get schooled
    May 19, 2024, 06:37:35 PM
  • Rhino7: I agree, pacers will be a better match vs Celtics
    May 19, 2024, 07:02:21 PM
  • Braves155: But just like anytime Stephen A. gets hyped for the Knicks, they disappear in big games
    May 19, 2024, 07:08:00 PM
  • TheGOAT: Celtics would probably win it all
    May 19, 2024, 07:20:01 PM
  • Braves155: Looking forward to TWolves-Nuggets tonight
    May 19, 2024, 07:22:40 PM
  • TheGOAT: Around for trade talks in NFL Live
    May 19, 2024, 08:07:18 PM
  • Braves155: Likewise
    May 19, 2024, 08:22:40 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: What you looking for? @Thegoat?
    May 19, 2024, 11:01:43 PM
  • Rhino7: Down goes the Champs! Nuggs out
    May 19, 2024, 11:56:44 PM
  • Daddy: That Minnesota NBA LIVE team aint lookin too bad right now. Should be fun!
    Yesterday at 12:00:46 AM
  • Rhino7: Good team except the contracts
    Yesterday at 03:09:09 PM
  • Daddy: Youve seen them? We havent completely structured all that yet. Weve got expansion and other factors that the real Wolves dont face.
    Yesterday at 03:39:40 PM
  • Daddy: My comment on the real Wolves are if they win a chip then there is no such things as bad contracts. The point of all contracts are to win Championships.
    Yesterday at 03:40:57 PM
  • STLBlues91: I will be around the rest of the day to talk deals. Tomorrow I will be around after work but plan on being in some spreadsheets most the day
    Yesterday at 05:04:22 PM
  • Rhino7: No, haven’t seen them except on spotrac
    Yesterday at 05:33:13 PM
  • Daddy: @Rhino7 the rumor is they've got a decent GM in both leagues. Especially NBA LIVE. (Howwwwwwwl)
    Yesterday at 07:13:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Well Vegas is ready to grab one of the players on the roster
    Yesterday at 07:17:34 PM
  • Daddy: Lol, Seattle too Im sure.:rofl:
    Yesterday at 07:43:10 PM
  • Daddy: I will leak this... Each team will be allowed to protect 5 and each team can only lose one player to expansion
    Yesterday at 07:44:21 PM
  • Daddy: 30 teams to draw from = 15 players each
    Yesterday at 07:44:57 PM
  • STLBlues91: Id also imagine trading and all that can happen. Like pick a guy to trade to another team to pick up other assets
    Yesterday at 07:45:25 PM
  • Daddy: You know LIVE rules. Once they are yours you can do whatever you like.
    Yesterday at 07:46:32 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah had to just check. So a deadline to select the keepers. Then a few days for the selection. Me and Seattle alternate picks?
    Yesterday at 07:47:47 PM
  • Daddy: The expansion draft is LIVE alternating picks until both teams have 15 players like the NBA All Star teams get picked.
    Yesterday at 07:48:04 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: oh Crap
    Yesterday at 07:49:27 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: this is interesting w my team
    Yesterday at 07:49:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: who to protect outside the obvious
    Yesterday at 07:49:52 PM
  • STLBlues91: Sounds good I didnt know if it would be like the NHL expansion with seattle where they get posted or live broadcasting
    Yesterday at 07:50:02 PM
  • Daddy: The "Expansion draft" will be a LIVE Event & followed by the Entry Draft where Vegas/Seattle also will start off with picks #1 & #2.
    Yesterday at 07:50:06 PM
  • Daddy: We doing BIG Crap with this basketball league. Buckle up!
    Yesterday at 07:50:46 PM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE is codenamed "The "Matrix" for all the numbers we running. Its currently being built.
    Yesterday at 07:52:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Well I will get my roster breakdown before the live expansion since I am done working for the summer next Wednesday
    Yesterday at 08:01:38 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE will drop first. Hockey guys trade like crazy. Good luck. :)
    Yesterday at 08:12:04 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah working on that spreadsheet and a few fixes on it. May do some slight visual adds and then to NCAA football sheet which I got going as well
    Yesterday at 08:48:21 PM
  • Daddy: :toth: the best moderator team on the planet. Thanks! :toth:
    Yesterday at 09:14:11 PM
  • Daddy: Can you imagine a league(s).  Where EVERY player that becomes a professional has value.. and 30-32 teams have 30-32 different people are actively determining that value?
    Today at 01:46:50 AM
  • Daddy: Where you dont wait for trades to happen on scoring sites or SS updates and the only thing asked of you is to run your own franchise and see how good you are. On an EVEN playing field.
    Today at 01:48:59 AM
  • Daddy: Its already near impossible to get into NFL LIVE. We had to start up a 64 team league just to accommodate the waiting list. True Story.
    Today at 01:55:29 AM
  • Daddy: Once full. NBA, NHL, & NCAAs will be very difficult to get into. People dont just walk away from LIVE often and when they do... They usually want back in. Legit dont miss your team in your sports. Get them while you can.
    Today at 02:00:44 AM
  • IndianaBuc: RyanJames5 PM
    Today at 09:13:54 AM
  • indiansnation: Hey guys take a look at these baseball mugs
    Today at 01:53:49 PM
  • indiansnation: [link]
    Today at 01:53:56 PM
  • STLBlues91: Feel free to message I will be around for talks as I work on some spreadsheets
    Today at 04:43:35 PM
  • Daddy: @Brian the city of Pittsburgh would never forgive you for trading Crosby. Let him retire in Pittsburgh.
    Today at 05:58:55 PM
  • Daddy: I was looking forward to bashing you and him upside the head with these Flyers. Do not deny me that sir.
    Today at 06:00:04 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Man, I was thinking the same for Stamkos. Nevermind, were not allowed.
    Today at 06:10:06 PM
  • STLBlues91: I mean STL is a welcoming place
    Today at 06:14:03 PM