Author Topic: Amateur Draft Suggestions  (Read 2398 times)

Offline kenny

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 1
    • :Blank:
    • :Columbia:
    • View Profile
Amateur Draft Suggestions
« on: February 25, 2012, 05:59:48 PM »
With the 2011 Amateur Draft coming to a conclusion next week, it'll have been 6 months since we've started. While all of this is still fresh in our minds, I'm soliciting any feedback people may have.

I think it went okay, but there's definitely room for improvement. If you have any ideas that can make this run smoother next year, I'd be happy to hear them.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Fourfingerwoo

Re: Amateur Draft Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 09:37:11 PM »
if a team misses their pick and doesn't make it back in time for their next pick, boot them and suspend the draft till you can find a replacement. What happened with some of these teams like Cincy can set a team back so much. I know you were hoping for the best and what was hoping that what was happening at the time wasn't really happening. But we all know if a man isn't around for his first round pick, he doesn't care and doesn't need to be around(except extreme circumstances). And don't take this wrong I'm not saying the league management was neglectful in letting that happen, just saying that I am aware of the work that has been put into this league, it smells of countless hours of work. And if an owner cant be around to make his picks he doesn't belong here. But we need to suspend the draft next time and find a replacement owner and then continue. That way not to punish the new owner for the ex owners lack of commitment. I quasi what I'm saying is if the lack of making the pick is grounds for an owner to be removed because of similar behavior maybe we need to suspend the draft and wait till we find a replacement owner until continuing.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lindner

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »
I actually kind of agree with the comment above me.  I would like to make a proposition, though.

There should be some kind of rule that a team must have a first and second round pick.  Perhaps we could suspend the draft to make sure we always have active owners for these picks.  Maybe we could give them the next available draft pick from the actual draft (obviously we would prefer to avoid something like that, but its an option). 

Nevertheless, I, personally, would only want this to apply to the first 2 rounds.  I think it would be crippling to miss your first and second round pick a couple years in a row.  After the second round (and possibly the comp round), drafting would return the system that we had going this year.

What do you guys think?  I just hate to see teams lose those first couple rounds.  I inherited the Twins and their neglective prior missed the first couple rounds.  It is very discouraging... :(
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline ldsjayhawk

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :CLS:
    • :Kansas:
    • :SKC:
    • :KC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 10:35:23 PM »
I thought it was good toward the end of the draft when they started picking the next available player.  Maybe instead of suspending the draft the team gets the next available player until the team gets a new owner.  I though that worked well.

Hopefully things will stabilize in the league, once the season starts and there won't be such turnover, but if we have the kind of turnover we did this offseason again and we suspend the draft every time, it could take forever.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
FGM :win: :SEA: 2017 + 2x AL West Div
BUSH AL :Bronze: :KC: 2021 + 4x AL Central Div
AFB AL :Bronze: :KC: 2012 + 1x Div
AFB NL :Bronze: :COL: 2018 + 2x Div

Lindner

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:51:56 PM »
but if we have the kind of turnover we did this offseason again and we suspend the draft every time, it could take forever.

Very true.. ^^

Maybe instead of suspending the draft the team gets the next available player until the team gets a new owner.  I though that worked well.

I like that idea.  We could do that for the first few rounds.  I would probably be good with whatever method you guys decide to use to get every team a 1st and 2nd round pick every year.   :soapbox:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline kenny

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 07:06:36 AM »
The constant turnover in this league prevents us from getting any type of momentum. At my last count, we've had 60 different people in this league, and now it's probably at 65.

I agree there needs to be some sort of compromise. Suspending the draft for every missed pick may hurt the league more, but applying that to the first few rounds can be good.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

SpiritWind

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:02:43 PM »
I personally feel the Amateur Draft should NEVER be suspended.
there seems to be a presumption that ever GM should be
drafting Amateurs every rd; some people may not be interested
in doing so !?  When the Draft was suspended after the 1st 2
rds, the original GMs of Cleveland and the Cubs never drafted again;
I have always wondered IF the suspension caused them to stop
participating !?  I know if I was a "replacement" GM, I would not
expect drafting to stop for all the remaining GMs so that I and any
other Replacements may "catch up" .
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DVB78300

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 07:24:26 PM »
As someone who enjoys the amateur draft aspect of dynasty leagues, I've got to say I found this draft to have many flaws. The twelve hour window makes rounds take far to long, 2 picks in 24 hours, roughly 30 picks every 15 days, assuming we have decent participation, this whole process shouldn't take more than several weeks at most.
A more simplistic draft would likely garner better participation. I know there are those of us who really enjoy researching the amateur players and want to do so for as long possible, but the average roto owner isn't going to want to or have the time to do so & while I don't want to see the league totally dumbed down, there are certain compromises that the diehards need to make for the longterm health of the league.

A simpler draft format would be cutting the draft down to say 6-10 rounds; with each pick having say a 1-2 hour window. There would only be 6 - 12 picks scheduled for a day (no one should be expected to pick after 1am easter standard) depending on the window. If a pick is missed, it's not lost/ forfeited. The forfeiture of a pick especially in the early rounds can be very harmful to a team & thus harmful to the league. If a team misses their window, they can make the pick at any point during the round, but they lose priority preference, meaning if the Nationals are scheduled to pick first in round one of the 2010 draft and they have a window of 10A - 12P & they miss their pick then the Pirates who pick from 12P - 2P can draft who every they want to, and as long as they get their pick in first, they would net Bryce Harper & the Nat's would be able to select Tallion or whom every they want, what makes this work is the team with that next pick will be keeping a close eye on the draft because they want to be able to jump right in if the team ahead of them misses their pick, that way they can nab the better prospect. I know people will say, 1-2 hours isn't enough time, I work and can't be looking at a draft during work, I'm sorry but in the era of the smart phone, that's a lame excuse. Hey I've got a very demanding job, I've even been on vacation during amateur drafts, if you want to take part in the process you will find a way to make it work.
Any prospects that are left after the draft is completed, should be automatically assigned to the ArmChair team who mirrors their real life team. Just like in the MLB, all amateur prospects should be assigned a no trade clause for their first 12 months, this will help allow teams to decide who they will keep & who they will drop. It will also keep a team somewhat stocked incase of turnover.
I would suggest a similar type draft for International Free Agent signees who are minor leaguers. Guys like Darvish & Cepedes who are signing Major League deals and likely won't be going tot he minors, should be put in the free agent pool, but there's no reason for the Roland Guzman's or Andres Serrano's of the world to be part of a MLB Free Agent draft.

:soapbox:

Dismounting my soapbox for now.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline kenny

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 08:01:49 PM »
Interesting points, Doug.

1. Draft clock - 12 hours vs. 2 hours:

I too would like to see the league be more friendly towards the average roto player. My thinking was a longer clock would actually be better than a shorter clock because the average guy won't be checking in throughout the day. Heck, I usually only check in twice a day (before work and after work).

I can't count on everybody having smartphones or having access to computers throughout the day. We have people ranging in age from 16 to 60 and I don't want to limit the number of people who can participate. We have enough difficulties keeping an active complement of 30 GM's as it is...  shortening the draft time to 2 hours can only make it worse.

2. Automatic assignment of undrafted prospects based on MLB selections:

What is your reasoning behind this? I'm not quite sure how it will help the league. This will cause issues because of minor league roster limits.

3. No trade clauses for amateur draft picks:

I'm on the fence about this one. I can see both the pros and cons.

4. Forfeiture of picks:

I agree with you and I think we can implement what you suggested regarding this.

5. International free agents - draft vs free agency:

How would we objectively distinguish between who goes into the draft and who goes into free agency? Some are obvious, but there will be some in the gray area.

I'm leaning towards placing everybody in free agency because it'll be another pool of players for teams to spend money on. This will keep the salaries down and more realistic (we have a bigger pool of money here in AFB than they do in MLB).

Your thoughts?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline kenny

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
I should note that we might run into some administrative problems with such a short time window for the draft. If one person makes a mistake and takes somebody previously drafted, it can cause a domino effect which might not get caught until later in the day. We'd really need somebody to monitor the draft throughout the day and I'm not sure if we have somebody that can do that (nor would I feel comfortable asking anybody to do that),
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • BayAreaBallers: me and edm gonna have fun drafting
    Yesterday at 11:09:28 PM
  • STLBlues91: I got a full set of picks this year that are movable
    Yesterday at 11:10:16 PM
  • Brent: I don't know anything about Hockey.
    Yesterday at 11:14:14 PM
  • Daddy: In what league?
    Yesterday at 11:14:24 PM
  • Daddy: @Brent you are a vet. Your skills will carry over.
    Yesterday at 11:14:54 PM
  • Daddy: Stats, age, contract, google.
    Yesterday at 11:15:12 PM
  • Daddy: You will be a playoff team just because you're one of the best "Dynasty Fantasy" GMs mother Earth has birthed.
    Yesterday at 11:16:11 PM
  • Daddy: I personally would welcome the challenge of learning an entirely new sport within the confounds of dynasty fantasy arena. Its fun and if you dont win at first so what.
    Yesterday at 11:17:50 PM
  • Brent: Yeah, that's why I took on the challenge.  I'll learn and figure out how I want to build this Predators team.
    Yesterday at 11:19:20 PM
  • Daddy: I like the Preds
    Yesterday at 11:19:43 PM
  • Daddy: You will love NHL LIVE i guarantee it. Wait till those bullets start getting fired.
    Yesterday at 11:20:30 PM
  • jmntl82: Kings are in the same boat, NHL is a new landscape for me to traverse
    Yesterday at 11:46:36 PM
  • indiansnation: Jmntl82 p!
    Yesterday at 11:48:57 PM
  • indiansnation: pm
    Yesterday at 11:49:03 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey guys rumor flying that their might be a new hockey league coming out.Major League Hockey (MLH) is determined to be the next big thing in the sport. Looking to launch in the fall of 2024, MLH is looking for early star power to give their league some buzz and legitimacy.
    Today at 12:17:21 AM
  • Daddy: :rofl:
    Today at 12:34:39 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: mlh is a 3 v3 version of nhl
    Today at 12:35:42 AM
  • Daddy: :rofl:
    Today at 12:36:49 AM
  • Daddy: They will go bankrupt after the first year :rofl: :rofl:
    Today at 12:38:58 AM
  • Daddy: I bet this was Sidney Crosby's idea.
    Today at 12:42:22 AM
  • Daddy: Fantrax offers the following options that support LIVE format Dynasty Sports.... Soccer, NASCAR, PGA, & believe it or not Formula One.
    Today at 03:24:02 AM
  • Daddy: We are providing every other option across the 4 major sports.
    Today at 03:25:10 AM
  • Daddy: If there is a demand. #LIVE will meet it. Site traffic is climbing. Site membership. Reputation. Interests. Its far from where it could be.
    Today at 03:27:02 AM
  • Daddy: We are providing something nobody else is providing. Once these teams are gone... Grown Men throw public fits trying to get in. Yo... I aint lying.
    Today at 03:29:02 AM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around all day for any trade talks
    Today at 01:45:38 PM
  • Daddy: NBA talking expansion now :rofl: multiple groups bidding in Las Vegas and Seattle's legislation has already approved a team once the Kraken came in.
    Today at 06:49:07 PM
  • Daddy: Imagine that :rofl: :rofl:
    Today at 06:49:28 PM
  • Daddy: They looking at 2 years before expansion. But its coming. Vegas has like 5 groups two of which plan to break ground on new venues. The expansion fee is expected to be north of 5 Billion $$
    Today at 06:51:25 PM
  • Daddy: We did it here first. Remember that in two years when the NBA steals our Vegas name too ;)
    Today at 06:52:13 PM
  • Rhino7: We need a royalty payment if they steal the Vipers name
    Today at 08:54:14 PM
  • Daddy: Blues hasnt said he wants to keep that name.
    Today at 10:35:01 PM
  • Daddy: He is taking this naming very seriously which i appreciate.
    Today at 10:35:49 PM
  • Daddy: It has to be a blast being a new expansion team in an NBA Dynasty league.
    Today at 10:36:19 PM
  • Daddy: Who has ever done that?
    Today at 10:36:41 PM
  • STLBlues91: I have a list of names on my phone currently
    Today at 10:36:42 PM
  • STLBlues91: May do a poll or something for the gms of the league
    Today at 10:37:01 PM
  • Daddy: Vipers is ok but it doesn't say "Vegas" to me. There are more creative names to be sure.
    Today at 10:39:01 PM
  • Daddy: I don't know that the other GMs will care so much as you or I. :)
    Today at 10:39:49 PM
  • Alpha5: Las Vegas Realtors
    Today at 10:40:23 PM
  • Daddy: Sure, throw some in the chat :rofl:
    Today at 10:41:02 PM
  • dbreer23: Vegas Rat Pack
    Today at 10:42:39 PM
  • Daddy: I like the Las Vegas Diamonds but i was saving that one for MLB LIVE expansion.
    Today at 10:42:41 PM
  • STLBlues91: Legacy/Jokers/Sinners/Vengeance/Outlaws/Vipers/Vandals/Voodoo/have more but just threw out a couple I have written down
    Today at 10:44:14 PM
  • Daddy: Las Vegas Diddlers (shout out to Bad Boy Records)
    Today at 10:45:06 PM
  • Alpha5: Dammit
    Today at 10:49:15 PM
  • Alpha5: Haha
    Today at 10:49:19 PM
  • Alpha5: Las Vegas Impersonators
    Today at 10:51:19 PM
  • Daddy: That long fuqn name? It would rap around they jerseys like a hula hoop.
    Today at 10:52:48 PM
  • Daddy: Who you play for dawg?
    Today at 10:54:07 PM
  • Daddy: "Uh.... We the imgddyojgsspersonators"
    Today at 10:54:26 PM