Author Topic: Amateur Draft Suggestions  (Read 2368 times)

Lindner

Re: Amateur Draft Suggestions
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 08:49:29 PM »
5. International free agents - draft vs free agency:

How would we objectively distinguish between who goes into the draft and who goes into free agency? Some are obvious, but there will be some in the gray area.

I'm leaning towards placing everybody in free agency because it'll be another pool of players for teams to spend money on. This will keep the salaries down and more realistic (we have a bigger pool of money here in AFB than they do in MLB).

I think we have a good system in place with International Free Agents.  It has seemed to work well so far this year.  Why fix it if it's not broken?

3. No trade clauses for amateur draft picks:

I'm on the fence about this one. I can see both the pros and cons.

This could create quite a few complications.  It is hard to mirror the MLB on this policy because we draft at a different time of the year than the MLB does.  The MLB drafts in early June and we draft throughout the off-season.  A no-trade clause on here would be much more constricting than the MLB's is.

Just my two cents.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DVB78300

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 09:43:06 PM »
1. Draft clock - 12 hours vs. 2 hours:

I too would like to see the league be more friendly towards the average roto player. My thinking was a longer clock would actually be better than a shorter clock because the average guy won't be checking in throughout the day. Heck, I usually only check in twice a day (before work and after work).

I can't count on everybody having smartphones or having access to computers throughout the day. We have people ranging in age from 16 to 60 and I don't want to limit the number of people who can participate. We have enough difficulties keeping an active complement of 30 GM's as it is...  shortening the draft time to 2 hours can only make it worse.

Shortening the clock doesn't preclude someone from making a pick should they miss their designated time slot, what it does is keeps the draft moving at a pace that might keep the average roto'er interested. Think of it like trying to keep a kid with ADHD from losing interest, if you don;t keep things moving people lose interest, if you tell someone you will be picking once every 10-15 days they will lose interest, it was proven this year with the draft. 

I should note that we might run into some administrative problems with such a short time window for the draft. If one person makes a mistake and takes somebody previously drafted, it can cause a domino effect which might not get caught until later in the day. We'd really need somebody to monitor the draft throughout the day and I'm not sure if we have somebody that can do that (nor would I feel comfortable asking anybody to do that),

Well I assume that just like with this past draft, someone or a group of people will be keeping a running list of whose been drafted, that will be updated everyday or two, assuming that's the case, then if someone screws up and picks a guy whose already been drafted, well they can make a new selection once the miscue has been found out, as far as losing out on someone who they may have gotten should they not have made a mistake, well that's the price of their error.

2. Automatic assignment of undrafted prospects based on MLB selections:

What is your reasoning behind this? I'm not quite sure how it will help the league. This will cause issues because of minor league roster limits.

The individual team will have a full year to evaluate these players front eh later rounds and decide who they wish to keep and who they will be dropping, with the full no trade fro one year clause attached to these prospects, they can be kept off the organizational roster until they are assigned to a minor league roster, until they get assigned they are basically in limbo.

5. International free agents - draft vs free agency:

How would we objectively distinguish between who goes into the draft and who goes into free agency? Some are obvious, but there will be some in the gray area.

I'm leaning towards placing everybody in free agency because it'll be another pool of players for teams to spend money on. This will keep the salaries down and more realistic (we have a bigger pool of money here in AFB than they do in MLB).

Your thoughts?

It's actually not a difficult thing, for the most part each season there are only a few 5 - 10 guys at most who come from the international level and go straight to a MLB club, and these guys are well publicized and can be weeded out. The rest of the pool can usually be found out throughout Baseball America, they put out an issue each year with each teams recent international signees.

I think we have a good system in place with International Free Agents.  It has seemed to work well so far this year.  Why fix it if it's not broken?

See I beg to differ, I look at our system that's currently in place as being use as flawed as the one that MLB is replacing this year. When you have guys dedicating millions in cap space to a 16 Y/O dominican kid who has zero pro experience, that has the potential to be harmful to that team & conversely to the league. If you want to draft the Jorge Solars of the world then you torpedo the season & get #1 pick in the drafts.

This could create quite a few complications.  It is hard to mirror the MLB on this policy because we draft at a different time of the year than the MLB does.  The MLB drafts in early June and we draft throughout the off-season.  A no-trade clause on here would be much more constricting than the MLB's is.

Well I would rather see our AMAT draft moved to August, but that's me. As for having a guy who gets drafted in November being ineligible for trade until the next November I really don't se how that's harmful or overly constricting. It gives the drafting team a full season to really evaluate their new talent, which is better for that team and healthier for the league.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline kenny

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 1
    • :Blank:
    • :Columbia:
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 09:50:13 PM »
Good points, Doug.

Anyone else with feedback?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lindner

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 10:29:32 PM »
When you have guys dedicating millions in cap space to a 16 Y/O dominican kid who has zero pro experience, that has the potential to be harmful to that team & conversely to the league.

I disagree with you on this point.  There are some teams in this league who cannot compete for a championship this upcoming year.  That will be the case for next off-season, as well.  If a team knows that they cannot compete, they aren't going to want to sign more free agents as to avoid wasting cap space.  Many teams looking to build for the future will use their cap space to sign international prospects.  I think that taking away our current process would hurt the weaker teams in our league.

If you want to draft the Jorge Solars of the world then you torpedo the season & get #1 pick in the drafts.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here.

As for having a guy who gets drafted in November being ineligible for trade until the next November I really don't se how that's harmful or overly constricting. It gives the drafting team a full season to really evaluate their new talent, which is better for that team and healthier for the league.

I don't see the point in limiting a GM's ability to deal perceived value.  I also don't see why we would be forced to take more time to evaluate our draftees.  If a team wants more time to evaluate, they will take it by not trading their draft picks.  I am against unnecessary regulations and limitations.

On a separate note, I agree with you that the Amateur draft needs to be reformed.  I like your proposal for the most part.  I think we could built a very successful system based around your idea.  It really was a drag waiting a week between picks this off-season.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Fourfingerwoo

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 10:30:17 PM »
If you shorten the time between picks, an easy way to avoid missing picks or getting skipped over is this. We set up a shadow account named Minor League Draft, when your pick is approaching you send a list of players by priority that you would pick them if available, if you don't make it within the allotted time we open the message with your pick and make the pick for you
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lindner

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 10:38:44 PM »
If you shorten the time between picks, an easy way to avoid missing picks or getting skipped over is this. We set up a shadow account named Minor League Draft, when your pick is approaching you send a list of players by priority that you would pick them if available, if you don't make it within the allotted time we open the message with your pick and make the pick for you

I made a suggestion like this in the past and it, more or less, got shut down.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Fourfingerwoo

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 10:46:44 PM »
The other topic, I like the International system as is. I know thats an obvious conclusion as I'm one of the owners spending big in that market this year. But what else are you supposed to do when you inherit a team and it has half of it's budget still available. But any team that is rebuilding ought to have the ability to acquire international players with the funds they have available. Like previously stated what is positive for the league or an individual team if you have no chance to compete bidding on players that will not help your long term goals. Plus it keeps free agent prices from being pushed up beyond the point they already are because less monies are dedicated to MLB free agents. If a non-contender thinks out an approach to field a team and leave adequate funds to acquire pieces that adds value to their franchise it only contributes to the health of the league. A lot of international acquisitions made by non contenders are used within 3-4 years to pick up pieces when said team becomes a contender. Usually to teams that are beginning the building process themselves. I believe the more options available to teams in rebuilding the better.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Fourfingerwoo

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 10:47:53 PM »
I made a suggestion like this in the past and it, more or less, got shut down.

well then find an associate you can call a pick into.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline kenny

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 1
    • :Columbia:
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 10:49:06 PM »

This past draft, people have messaged their lists directly to myself, Cliff and Robin if they feel that they may miss their pick.

I would prefer Doug's suggestion of being able to pick after their designated time slot. This lets the draft run on auto-pilot for a while if needed. It cuts down on administrative needs (wouldn't require someone to check in every two hours).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lindner

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 10:57:31 PM »
well then find an associate you can call a pick into.

That was basically what I suggested.

I proposed that we send in brief draft lists before the amateur draft so if a team misses their pick, they are awarded the next team on their list.  The idea wasn't embraced. 

In this year's draft, people were allowed to give the moderators "Draft Lists" for when they missed their picks.  I just think that we should have everyone submit one before the draft starts to ensure no one misses their pick.  Even if they tell the moderator, "Hey.  I just want the next available guy drafted in the actual MLB draft."  I thought that was a good idea.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: I want your hockey picks
    Yesterday at 08:46:56 PM
  • Daddy: I would only trade them to LA and LA has no current profsl owner.
    Yesterday at 08:48:11 PM
  • Daddy: Some outside talent dont like the site by looks alone and we are very manual. Its an acquired taste.
    Yesterday at 08:50:10 PM
  • indiansnation: U suck lol
    Yesterday at 08:50:39 PM
  • Daddy: On site hockey talent are "get off my lawn" types that aren't interested in seeing what all the fuss is about. And Brian we can talk but i dont want Grandpa Sid.
    Yesterday at 08:52:29 PM
  • Daddy: Edmonton could get my picks
    Yesterday at 08:53:05 PM
  • Daddy: He talking McDavid type talk. Me like Connor.
    Yesterday at 08:53:34 PM
  • Daddy: All those junior hockey dudes we looked up and put on yalls rosters. I dont know them dudes. I might cut half them jokers.
    Yesterday at 08:56:49 PM
  • Daddy: Ive learned more about global hockey in the last 3 months than i knew my entire life. My brains are scrambled. STLBlues91- brains are scrambled. Fried man.
    Yesterday at 08:58:38 PM
  • Daddy: On to Basketball :)
    Yesterday at 08:59:13 PM
  • Daddy: You have an NHL team. An AHL team. And a 50 player Junior league development squad. In a legit 30 Category dynasty hockey contract league.
    Yesterday at 09:02:09 PM
  • Daddy: Youve never seen anything like that. Nobody has ever seen anything like that. Not in Dynasty hockey. You're welcome. ;)
    Yesterday at 09:03:16 PM
  • Daddy: Franchise? That's what a Franchise looks like.
    Yesterday at 09:07:12 PM
  • STLBlues91: Working on the matching now between spreadsheet/fantrax. My head hurts but got about 12 of them fully done and believe they are 100% good to go. Taking a dinner break and back to plugging in info
    Yesterday at 09:15:38 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be back in 20 minutes all pms have been answered
    Yesterday at 09:18:31 PM
  • indiansnation: I feel bad for stlblues91 this guy is busting his but getting everything ready for NFL live
    Yesterday at 11:53:15 PM
  • indiansnation: Watching Dallas stars comeback and beat edm
    Yesterday at 11:54:24 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: im happy to see teh stars doing that for my boi pavs
    Today at 12:03:46 AM
  • indiansnation: That had to be one of the best hockey playoff games I seen this yr
    Today at 12:32:34 AM
  • indiansnation: Anybody want to talk trade
    Today at 12:33:26 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: stars are a tough team
    Today at 12:33:29 AM
  • indiansnation: It was just amazing how Edmonton was leading and then all of a sudden 2 period starts and Dallas just took over after that and just kicked Edmonton ass
    Today at 12:35:55 AM
  • Daddy: Flyers have the 12th overall pick & whatever Florida finishes with.
    Today at 01:09:39 AM
  • Daddy: We are open for business.
    Today at 01:10:32 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: sharks could be interested in those picks
    Today at 01:16:53 AM
  • STLBlues91: STL will be open for business as well
    Today at 01:23:26 AM
  • ldsjayhawk: @Daddy are you intending to trade all of your picks in NHL as well or different strategy there?
    Today at 11:25:13 AM
  • indiansnation: Penguins our interested in tradeing
    Today at 01:21:24 PM
  • Daddy: @Cris ive got 3 first rounders including 2025. Ive got 11 draft picks for the first time in years.
    Today at 01:39:03 PM
  • Daddy: Them babies burning a hole in my pocket. :)
    Today at 01:39:21 PM
  • Daddy: Its not that i dont like them but i want to add specific things and idk how the draft will shake out, also there are always teams wanting to invest heavy.
    Today at 01:40:27 PM
  • Daddy: We usually match in what our needs are. Then i see those teams stack like twenty picks and make magic. While i make my own magic.
    Today at 01:41:29 PM
  • Daddy: Connor McDavid deserves a haul. If Edmonton is moving him. Philly is armed to the teeth.
    Today at 01:42:13 PM
  • Daddy: Edmonton would also be armed to the teeth. Our draft is just a few days after the real one. We aint got time to ho hum. Its bout to be go time.
    Today at 01:44:09 PM
  • Daddy: You interested in The Flyers draft picks. I need names. I need pms. By 6/2 my picks will belong to some very fortunate franchise.
    Today at 01:47:39 PM
  • Daddy: Some of you guys have known me for fourteen years or more. I am a very reliable source for draft picks no matter the sport.
    Today at 01:55:39 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: what exactly are u looking for
    Today at 01:59:10 PM
  • Daddy: Depends on the team. Each one has something different. G, C, D, Crap we need wingers, i prefer guys that play both LW/RW. Im looking to improve. Thats always what im looking for. But to do so in a way that my partner also improves.
    Today at 02:02:32 PM
  • Daddy: You can build a dominant team without dominating every trade or even any trade. Doesn't matter what you give up if you get what you see as a key piece.
    Today at 02:03:49 PM
  • Daddy: Edmonton and LA are the leaders for my picks. LA unfortunately has no GM and by the time one sacs up im going to probably have dealt.
    Today at 02:05:53 PM
  • Daddy: You know we speak like this is boxing. Like there is a physical contest and you here me joking about foots etc. but we including myself are couch jockeys.
    Today at 02:08:39 PM
  • Daddy: Smack talk comes with sports. Ask about Kobe. Ask about Jordan. Ask about most of the greats. We are boxing gents. Mental boxing. From our phones and computers.
    Today at 02:09:52 PM
  • Daddy: I dont mean to bruise anyone's vagina. I cant help myself. Im a habitual vagina bruiser. Sincerely.
    Today at 02:11:08 PM
  • OUDAN: Imagine lying to all of us like that lollll\
    Today at 03:48:54 PM
  • Daddy: Up yours Danno :rofl:
    Today at 04:16:28 PM
  • OUDAN: Hahaha
    Today at 04:22:07 PM
  • Daddy: Takes a certain kind of guy to even do dynasty and unfortunately many of them are.. umm "sensitive" is a good word. I am a lot of personality, but im very good at what i do. I might suck at everything else but in dynasty fantasy i am ELITE.
    Today at 04:29:57 PM
  • Daddy: As both an owner & moderator. It im ok letting you know about it.
    Today at 04:30:41 PM
  • Daddy: Its ok to be diverse. Dont chat
    Today at 04:31:36 PM
  • Daddy: Close the chat and just run your team.
    Today at 04:31:59 PM