Author Topic: Need help understanding pitching scoring  (Read 13788 times)

Canada8999

Re: Need help understanding pitching scoring
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2011, 11:03:05 PM »
If we are looking at revamping the scoring system, here is another variation of the defensive & luck independent research: http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/pitching/tera/
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2011, 11:41:51 PM »
Liriano + No hitter = 15 points, ouch!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr.TradeKing

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2011, 12:00:21 AM »
No, no. It was his defense that deserves all the points.  :rofl:

Seriously, this is just another a example. Yes, I know he had 7 BB's, but c'mon the man pitched a no hitter and only got 15 points. If this doesn't do it, then I do not know what will.

~MTK
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
    • :ORL:
    • :TBL:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2011, 09:00:14 AM »
No, no. It was his defense that deserves all the points.  :rofl:

Seriously, this is just another a example. Yes, I know he had 7 BB's, but c'mon the man pitched a no hitter and only got 15 points. If this doesn't do it, then I do not know what will.

~MTK

Meanwhile, Jesse Crain goes 1.1 innings and scores 30.  Did the Sox hit a ball hard all night?  Honest question, didn't see the game.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's not the deep water that drowns us...we die because we stop kicking.

Dan Wood

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2011, 09:06:47 AM »
I don't care how many hits he gave up, he hardly struck anyone out, walked the ball park, and was wild as a rabid dog. His no-hitter is purely luck. He had a similar start last week, but he gave up something like 20 hits. Even Mark Beurhle's perfect game was luck driven, he shouldn't have even had a shut-out. Jon Lester had a far superior start last night.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2011, 09:20:10 AM »
"he walked six and struck out just two. Truth be told, he wasn't really dominating, like you envision for a no-hitter. Of the 21 nine-inning no-hitters since 2000 (including Roy Halladay's postseason no-no), Liriano's was the least impressive. Using the Bill James Game Score method, he scored an 83, lower than the 85 that Edwin Jackson scored last year (when he walked eight and fanned six) and A.J. Burnett's 85 in 2001 (nine walks, seven strikeouts). The last pitcher to throw a nine-inning no-hitter with just two strikeouts was the Dodgers' Jerry Reuss, in 1980. The last pitcher to throw a nine-inning no-hitter with a Game Score of 83 was Cliff "Lefty" Chambers, of the 1951 Pirates (he walked eight and struck out four). "

http://espn.go.com/blog/SweetSpot/post/_/id/10066/it-wasnt-pretty-but-liriano-throws-a-no-no
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MillerTime

• Legend
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2011, 09:57:03 AM »
"he walked six and struck out just two. Truth be told, he wasn't really dominating, like you envision for a no-hitter. Of the 21 nine-inning no-hitters since 2000 (including Roy Halladay's postseason no-no), Liriano's was the least impressive. Using the Bill James Game Score method, he scored an 83, lower than the 85 that Edwin Jackson scored last year (when he walked eight and fanned six) and A.J. Burnett's 85 in 2001 (nine walks, seven strikeouts). The last pitcher to throw a nine-inning no-hitter with just two strikeouts was the Dodgers' Jerry Reuss, in 1980. The last pitcher to throw a nine-inning no-hitter with a Game Score of 83 was Cliff "Lefty" Chambers, of the 1951 Pirates (he walked eight and struck out four). "

http://espn.go.com/blog/SweetSpot/post/_/id/10066/it-wasnt-pretty-but-liriano-throws-a-no-no

Good sign is that his fastball was back and missing low, but his score is reflective of the system we use.  I have no problem with it.  No hits, but 6 walks can easily lose a game as much as win it. 

I really believe that the conversations about rules, scoring, etc. need to be brought up during the offseason, they are only distractions at this point.  Quite frankly, we will still have to start at the beginning of this subject when discussed in the offseason. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' - Homer Simpson

Mr.TradeKing

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2011, 10:06:58 AM »
I still play baseball, and I have the question; "what isn't luck driven?" I go out there and give it all I got and let the pieces fall where they may. What causes the pieces to fall where they may? My answer is "luck." Things could easily go other ways, but they DIDN'T. I don't care how "lucky" you want to call Liri's no-no, because in my book everything has a "luck" factor. The man went out there and competed against a Major-League caliber lineup who has proven hitters. I think it was a little more than just "luck." He kept his fastball low all night (unlike the rest of the season) and when he missed, he missed down and away, textbook. We need to start giving some points to what ACTUALLY happened instead of all of these different scenarios of what could have happened and because of who. The fact of the matter is, this man went out for 9 IP and didn't allow a hit to a lineup that was considered one of the tops in baseball at the beginning of the season. If it what THAT easy to do, then there would be more than just 21 no-no's since 2001.

MY RANT,
~MTK
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2011, 10:40:52 AM »
I still play baseball, and I have the question; "what isn't luck driven?" I go out there and give it all I got and let the pieces fall where they may. What causes the pieces to fall where they may? My answer is "luck." Things could easily go other ways, but they DIDN'T. I don't care how "lucky" you want to call Liri's no-no, because in my book everything has a "luck" factor. The man went out there and competed against a Major-League caliber lineup who has proven hitters. I think it was a little more than just "luck." He kept his fastball low all night (unlike the rest of the season) and when he missed, he missed down and away, textbook. We need to start giving some points to what ACTUALLY happened instead of all of these different scenarios of what could have happened and because of who. The fact of the matter is, this man went out for 9 IP and didn't allow a hit to a lineup that was considered one of the tops in baseball at the beginning of the season. If it what THAT easy to do, then there would be more than just 21 no-no's since 2001.

MY RANT,
~MTK

So this is a field study that you conducted on your own then, and we can use this as actual research as to why we should change the scoring system? Has it been peer reviewed yet, or published anywhere?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr.TradeKing

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2011, 01:54:31 PM »
No, it was correctly labeled as a rant. However, as I stated before, I will assist in research and in finding a solution on how to tweak the current system.

I have heard explanations such as "pitchers don't have control over the play after the ball leaves their hand." Erroneous. A decision is made along with release point (talent) that determines the location of a pitch that comes after the ball is released, but is determined when the ball is released. So, to say the pitcher no longer has control over the situation is not completely true. If this was the case, then there would be no such thing a FB and GB pitchers who get higher than average ratios of FB's and GB's respectively due to location and pitch selection. The location of the pitch affects everything from contact (and how hard) along with where and how the ball is hit.

I think sometimes "less is more" and I believe that we have gone too far in the direction of trying to "isolate" the pitcher which has resulted in some qwerky scoring. I think if we "open up" the scoring a little bit more, then we will see the points self-align themselves in what we would consider a "normal" trend based on proven talent.

~MTK
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Braves155: Replied
    Today at 10:36:24 AM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm back at u
    Today at 10:53:31 AM
  • Daddy: What he said. Pm sent
    Today at 12:13:54 PM
  • Braves155: PM again Indiansnation
    Today at 12:43:44 PM
  • Daddy: A message to our newest members: its easy to get lost in information. Ive brought people on profsl and had to teach them how to post and move on the site.
    Today at 12:54:00 PM
  • Daddy: Sometimes that takes a couple days, sometimes weeks, sometimes months. The only requirement of being a LIVE GM is effort & participation. Not necessarily trading but the operations of your franchise.
    Today at 12:55:34 PM
  • Daddy: Retain players, acquire players in FA, manage your cap, dont feel pressure but take your time & learn, grow in dynasty fantasy by maximum observation and minimum nerves.
    Today at 12:57:44 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Today at 12:59:55 PM
    Today at 01:00:59 PM
  • Daddy: Take time grasshopper(s) to absorb it all and move at your own pace like these two knucklehead's.
    Today at 01:02:03 PM
  • Daddy: Not being able to come immediately on profsl and function isnt a knock on your intelligence. This site is 271 years old. We can teach ya how to navigate it. What we cant teach you is passion for sports. Casual fans need not apply. Thats what draft kings is for.
    Today at 01:07:29 PM
    Today at 01:08:12 PM
    Today at 01:11:58 PM
  • Daddy: Every new member to the site we are somewhere chanting "ONE OF US! ONE OF US!" ONE OF US!" -We are an exclusive bunch. The best fantasy GMs on the planet play here.
    Today at 01:25:20 PM
  • Daddy: And if you are a current member.. and you arent in a LIVE league... What is it you could possibly be looking for HERE on a dynasty fantasy platform... That LIVE DOESNT HAVE? What does your profsl league do better or offer that LIVE does not?
    Today at 01:31:49 PM
  • Daddy: You like being part of the committees? Try being a mod. You like the entertainment of your league chat???? What brings you here? If its not the love of sports and wanting to be entertained in a well run league, then why do you come here at all?
    Today at 01:33:46 PM
  • Braves155: Back again indiansnation
    Today at 01:41:07 PM
    Today at 01:43:36 PM
  • Daddy: Join us. Compete. See what all the fuss is about. See why everything we post gets 1000 views. See for yourself. Name your sport. Come whup me. Come whup us.
    Today at 01:43:53 PM
  • Daddy: If Brian can do this... Anyone can.
    Today at 01:44:56 PM
  • Daddy: Brian is a contender for a LIVE baseball championship today. From ten years of sheer force of will and effort.
    Today at 01:46:14 PM
  • indiansnation: @daddy bite me
    Today at 01:46:36 PM
  • Daddy: Consider yourself bitten old friend.
    Today at 01:47:08 PM
  • Daddy: It was like training a baby seal... But we got you there.
    Today at 01:48:02 PM
  • Daddy: Now (I can't believe im saying this) Brian is a pretty damn good GM.
    Today at 01:51:52 PM
  • indiansnation: Stlblues pm
    Today at 01:54:13 PM
  • Braves155: Replied indiansnation
    Today at 01:55:08 PM
  • Braves155: Daddy might be about to knock Brian silly
    Today at 01:55:50 PM
  • Daddy: Nope. Ive always let him be himself. Ive had trades i negotiated in good faith vetoed by people who didn't want to lose.
    Today at 01:58:23 PM
  • Braves155: He's dealing me Crosby :-)
    Today at 01:59:12 PM
  • Daddy: How are YOU my competition going to determine value for ME and the person im trading with? Daduq???
    Today at 01:59:13 PM
  • Daddy: Because you dont like the value. Well who gives a Crap if you like it? It's not your deal.
    Today at 02:00:05 PM
  • Daddy: Coach Crosby getting dealt? This i gotta see.
    Today at 02:01:20 PM
  • Braves155: STLBlues, I didn't forget ya. I'll respond in short order
    Today at 02:02:34 PM
  • Daddy: Trade committee is there for competitive balance? Look at every league that has one. How balanced are they?
    Today at 02:02:53 PM
  • Daddy: Corey created that Crap for that exact purpose. To control who got what. And everyone copied it. Everywhere.
    Today at 02:04:00 PM
  • Daddy: I tried to tell them. Im still trying to tell them. What's the word im looking for????? Oh i know... "Duhhhhhhhhhhhhh".
    Today at 02:06:43 PM
  • indiansnation: Crosby on the move in nhl live
    Today at 02:07:34 PM
  • Daddy: There is a league out there. In your favorite sport. Where nobody gonna hold you back. Wont be no disadvantages. No cheating. No waiting.
    Today at 02:11:49 PM
  • Daddy: It ends in "LIVE" and however good we make it sound, its actually better than that.
    Today at 02:12:23 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 trade posted
    Today at 02:12:36 PM
  • Daddy: Ask someone with LIVE on their profile.
    Today at 02:13:32 PM
  • Daddy: In 3 days.. Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid, Tomas Hertl all found new teams. We are just getting started in hockey.
    Today at 02:33:40 PM
  • Braves155: Who the next big name to move?
    Today at 02:42:40 PM
  • Daddy: I can look at you guys profiles and tell who loves what sports. You ever looked at profile teams? Interesting.
    Today at 04:48:36 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon pm
    Today at 04:49:17 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Is @dbreer still on the road? Got a trade offer for him
    Today at 05:06:19 PM
  • Daddy: Man's on vacation. Season starts in August. The Professor will return. He is always on fantrax and gets DMs there as well.
    Today at 05:15:54 PM
  • Braves155: EstcoastGonzo...when you are on, I PM'd ya on our earlier talks
    Today at 05:18:18 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the day
    Today at 05:21:33 PM