Author Topic: Revised Blue Jays/Rockies Trade  (Read 941 times)

ThePetis

Re: Revised Blue Jays/Rockies Trade
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 12:29:35 AM »
I thought I would share my take on the deal... Obviously I like it, or I wouldn't have accepted the terms.  Salary dumps are hard to judge.  One prior trade that comes to mind occurred during my first week in AFB.

http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=116082.0

Pirates trade pick 1.24, a 5th and 8th round, and $700K of Int'l money for pick 1.7 and Johnny Cueto.  No one had a problem with that trade.  It was my first week in the league and I was still feeling things out, so I stayed out of it.  Plus, I don't tend to veto trades if both owners are acting in good faith.  But in my opinion, that's a fair deal with Cueto removed.  But Colorado had financial issues and couldn't afford Cueto, so they had to pay to get rid of him.

Similar issue here.  Colorado couldn't afford Feliz and Andrus.  Realizing they were going to lose the players for nothing, I asked Chris what he would want in return.  Before we even discussed any names, Chris verified that he still had the rights to these players.  From Colorado's perspective, he was about to lose these players for nothing.  This way, he's getting a pitching prospect who can contribute this year, plus a draft pick next year.

Keep in mind that Feliz is coming back from Tommy John surgery.  Even though it may seem like it these days, a healthy return is no sure thing.  Last year alone, I bet on Cory Luebke, Brandon Beachy, and Scott Baker to return and provide value in a few of my other leagues.  None of those worked out and none are even in a safe position heading into this season.

Andrus is the real prize here, but he's only got one year remaining before he hits free agency.  Nolin is not the sexy prospect and sure, he got lit up in his one major league start last season.  But he's still young and has proven his self at every stop in the minors.  He's a good bet to provide excellent value of the life of his arbitration years.  He's exactly the type of prospect I'd look to extract from the rest of you.

I'll have no hard feelings if the deal is vetoed.  I just wanted a chance to express my points of view regarding the trade.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 03:49:58 AM »
I thought I would share my take on the deal... Obviously I like it, or I wouldn't have accepted the terms.  Salary dumps are hard to judge.  One prior trade that comes to mind occurred during my first week in AFB.

http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=116082.0

Pirates trade pick 1.24, a 5th and 8th round, and $700K of Int'l money for pick 1.7 and Johnny Cueto.  No one had a problem with that trade.  It was my first week in the league and I was still feeling things out, so I stayed out of it.  Plus, I don't tend to veto trades if both owners are acting in good faith.  But in my opinion, that's a fair deal with Cueto removed.  But Colorado had financial issues and couldn't afford Cueto, so they had to pay to get rid of him.

Similar issue here.  Colorado couldn't afford Feliz and Andrus.  Realizing they were going to lose the players for nothing, I asked Chris what he would want in return.  Before we even discussed any names, Chris verified that he still had the rights to these players.  From Colorado's perspective, he was about to lose these players for nothing.  This way, he's getting a pitching prospect who can contribute this year, plus a draft pick next year.

Keep in mind that Feliz is coming back from Tommy John surgery.  Even though it may seem like it these days, a healthy return is no sure thing.  Last year alone, I bet on Cory Luebke, Brandon Beachy, and Scott Baker to return and provide value in a few of my other leagues.  None of those worked out and none are even in a safe position heading into this season.

Andrus is the real prize here, but he's only got one year remaining before he hits free agency.  Nolin is not the sexy prospect and sure, he got lit up in his one major league start last season.  But he's still young and has proven his self at every stop in the minors.  He's a good bet to provide excellent value of the life of his arbitration years.  He's exactly the type of prospect I'd look to extract from the rest of you.

I'll have no hard feelings if the deal is vetoed.  I just wanted a chance to express my points of view regarding the trade.

The difference really is that Cueto was an actual salary dump of a player that missed most of the year with an injury.  Cueto has a $10 million salary and that put Colorado $2 million under the cap.  He literally couldn't sign more than four or five Arb eligible players without trading someone or going over the cap.  In addition, a Cueto contract extension would have been $20 million plus because he was in the top 1% of players in 2012.  Cueto in this league had very little value for some reason because I actively shopped him for two weeks with numerous teams and got very little interest.  Everyone was hesitant to be on the hook for $20 million after this season.  I made the trade because I thought I could flip him for a huge value and it didn't happen, not for my lack of trying

Colorado has $12 million in cap space now due to the Cueto trade and the Arb contracts of Andrus and Feliz together come to $7.7 million ($4.8 mil for Andrus and $2.9 million for Feliz).  He doesn't need to trade either one to sign his Arb players and he certainly doesn't need to trade both to do it.  If he wanted a little more room to sign a free agent he could simply trade one and if he announced it on his trade block he'd certainly get a lot better offers than this. He also has several players with larger contracts he could move that have value, Verlander, Cespedes, Kinsler, Butler.  I mean he can run his team like he wants but citing the cap as a reason here to accept this trade is not valid simply by the math.  He does not have to make this trade to get under the cap.  He could afford Feliz and Andrus this season.

This trade is a revision of your previous trade and what you've changed amounts to Wilin Rosario for a 4th round pick which is insane.  The way catchers are valued in this league Rosario is probably worth twenty 4th round picks.

If you have a problem with a trade you should say something, not use it to posture on future trades.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

limeygreen

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 06:08:24 AM »
Happy to take views and accept league judgement.

Just to say that this is my first year in playing such a deep fantasy league so I am still trying to find my feet. However I do not like the implication that I do not know what I am doing and naturally I will choose to run my team as I see fit (and i seriously do not appreciate other owners telling me what I should do with my team and my roster spots…grrr). Anyone can see that my salary situation is completely screwed and I have to make some very hard decisions in who I keep/dont keep. While keeping Andrus/Feliz would have been possible it would have left me very hamstrung in respect of other options - you will have seen that I placed Cain on my trade block but no one is willing on to take his salary and the one sole offer I did receive would have been vetoed immediately on this board.

With arb deadline coming up I needed to make a deal relatively quickly - and I felt that the return for me was fine. Nolin is a good prospect and am happy to take a relatively high pick next year.

However the veto means that this time next week I will be, status quo remaining, in a weaker position - which isnt really fair for me.

I do think we need some objective rules/guidelines on vetoing as some decisions seem very subjective indeed.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:52:42 AM by limeygreen »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mrmetsman

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »
 :iatp:

Considering the fact he's gonna lose these 2 players anyway if he keeps them cus he can't afford them in ARB i think the Rockies GM made a good move to trade them just for the ARB Deadline.
Atleast now he has something to show for it.
While in a week he would have nothing.

The Blue Jays GM is able to afford the ARB for these players so for him it's a steal but imo a very smart steal.
Very smart business.
IRL these kinds of things happen aswell.
Look at the trade deadline deals with players who are end of contract.
The return on them isn't all that high either but the clubs know that if they wan't some kind of return they have to take action or they're left with nothing.

Quite frankly i wish i thought of this before because it's an excellent business move.
And imo it should in no way be vetoed cus both GM's aren't doing anything wrong.
They just made the most of their circumstances.
I can only applaud that.

Approve :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 10:01:57 AM by mrmetsman »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

haseloff

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »
no issue here.  He's up against the wall.  The players don't balance out but there's plenty of risk and desperate time issues that make it fair.  You can't just look at the 'players vs players'.

:iatp:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

pats1fan

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 11:27:50 AM »
In my opinion this deal is hugely lopsided in favor of Toronto....The Nolin/draft pick package would barely be acceptable return for Feliz, say nothing about Andrus (IMO).  My vote is to Veto.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

yahoolando

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 03:53:31 PM »
So far we have....

6 Approvals
4 Vetoes

we are only at 60% at this point which would be a veto
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 05:44:12 PM »
I meant no disrespect to the Rockies or the Jays in my post so I apologize if it came off that way.  I would just urge every team to post in the trade block if they're in that big a bind with the cap.  It's just in your best interests to get the most offers possible for your players.  I know several of us are very active here and we read everything that gets posted.  I'm betting several owners would jump at the chance to get players the caliber of Andrus and Feliz at a discount due to cap/time issues.  Getting offers from several teams is best for each team and really what's best for the league in the long run.  Just sayin...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jimbo3280

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 09:09:44 PM »
veto this trade wow
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

yahoolando

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 12:25:43 AM »
With 5 vetoes already this deal is vetoed.  Rework or sign them to arbitration and trade before FA starts!  I guarantee you get more.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • BayAreaBallers: will there be a roster cleanup
    Yesterday at 09:57:44 PM
  • Daddy: What you talkin bout Willis?
    Yesterday at 09:58:35 PM
  • Daddy: Roster cleanup?
    Yesterday at 09:58:51 PM
  • Daddy: @STLBlues91 look at the NHL LIVE chat window please.
    Yesterday at 09:59:36 PM
  • STLBlues91: Going there now
    Yesterday at 10:00:09 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: didnt you mention that some players on our roster have moved
    Yesterday at 10:00:14 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: will that need to eb accounted for
    Yesterday at 10:00:22 PM
  • Daddy: @BAB as per LIVE rules... All new ownership gets free drops year one.
    Yesterday at 10:00:25 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: or are they still ours
    Yesterday at 10:00:28 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: that part i get
    Yesterday at 10:00:51 PM
  • Daddy: The rosters are set by a prior date not todays or tomorrows
    Yesterday at 10:00:53 PM
  • Daddy: If someone appears on your roster its because they are your player
    Yesterday at 10:01:21 PM
  • Daddy: Regardless of who they start the new season with.
    Yesterday at 10:01:40 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: are we allowed to post drops now or is that at a different time
    Yesterday at 10:02:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: last question
    Yesterday at 10:02:46 PM
  • Daddy: Only the newest NBA LIVE rosters are unknown as we will go with the newest version for the upcoming 2024/25 season.
    Yesterday at 10:02:54 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE you must wait.
    Yesterday at 10:03:15 PM
  • Daddy: It doesnt start till 6/1
    Yesterday at 10:03:28 PM
  • Daddy: We just work fast ;)
    Yesterday at 10:03:45 PM
  • Daddy: Looks like its ready but the SS isnt finished and we cant do transactions till we finish.
    Yesterday at 10:04:25 PM
  • Daddy: Its not like the others. Its got NHL/AHL and formulas need perfected.
    Yesterday at 10:04:56 PM
  • Daddy: A lot of LIVE GMs came after i had won in football and built a monster in baseball. Many of you weren't there for the start. Like STLBlues. Like Braves. So you talk smack to the old Man (me).
    Yesterday at 10:09:00 PM
  • Daddy: I cannot wait to start these virgin leagues. So that (you too BAB) can get your deserved foots from day one. :)
    Yesterday at 10:10:30 PM
  • Daddy: Size 13 (lubricant included sponsored by *Acme Bigfoot Jelly Inc)
    Yesterday at 10:12:47 PM
  • Brent: I don't know Hockey, but NHL Live sounds good.  I probably shouldn't have left FGM as I have a little more time than I thought after leaving a bunch of other leagues.
    Yesterday at 10:38:24 PM
  • STLBlues91: Think there are 3 more teams left until NHL gets filled up
    Yesterday at 10:40:10 PM
  • Daddy: Four (4) NY Islanders >> Nashville Predators >> Ottawa Senators >> LA Kings
    Yesterday at 10:50:47 PM
  • Daddy: They each had owners who uncommitted two of them went to other sites to try to copy the concept. Problem is no Daddy, no staff,  no LIVE.
    Yesterday at 10:52:54 PM
  • Daddy: Nobody on Earth does hockey like we are about to do it. Its a shame 28 teams are gone without most of the true profsl hockey guys signing up. That's a huge loss. For them.
    Yesterday at 10:54:45 PM
  • Daddy: If you love hockey and you love dynasty and you arent in LIVE than you must hate me or competition more than you love the others. Which is petty & not worth our efforts anyway.
    Yesterday at 10:56:10 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE Spreadsheet [link] should be available to be seen.
    Yesterday at 11:35:31 PM
  • Daddy: @Brent we sincerely hope that you do join as a HOF level dynasty GM. The rules and a lot of format carry over from one LIVE league to another.
    Yesterday at 11:56:46 PM
  • Daddy: We believe that even if you don't know a sport well, we provide the material, and enough guidance advice that any disadvantages are minimized. Hockey is one of the greatest sports of all time.
    Yesterday at 11:58:09 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: Brent should I put you on the waiting list for the next opening?
    Today at 10:53:35 AM
  • Brent: Nah, I need to resist.  I built the team I wanted and decided to leave so that's on me.
    Today at 11:28:04 AM
  • indiansnation: Is their a way i can lgo and check out prospects in nhl live and get statistics
    Today at 01:02:05 PM
  • Daddy: We have the same prospects as real life. Same draft class coming in. You are loaded for Bear.
    Today at 01:06:11 PM
  • Daddy: The contracts that expire in 2023. Are upcoming FA. We giving a chance to extend 6/1
    Today at 01:08:31 PM
  • indiansnation: I finally looked at the minors and i got a 40 year old player in my minors
    Today at 01:27:00 PM
  • Daddy: Did we put Sidney Crosby in your Juniors? Whats the resolution you seek?
    Today at 01:57:39 PM
  • indiansnation: No resolution i just saw it. No rrsolution
    Today at 05:49:02 PM
  • Daddy: Ok. You know you can cut anyone you want and with FROZEN FRENZY as well as the draft we all have a ton of moves to make.
    Today at 06:11:32 PM
  • Daddy: Hockey players don't make what football, basketball, baseball players make. The cap is lower than other LIVE leagues.
    Today at 06:13:00 PM
  • Daddy: NFL Teams in OTAs. Hockey & Baseball Drafts approach
    Today at 06:14:26 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah when we were filling rosters we just included everyone we could since they can be cut. I will be cutting a chunk of guys once we start up
    Today at 06:14:45 PM
  • Daddy: Trading too. Not just cutting. Virgin teams need diversified. Ive seen owners swap half of they're starting players to get diversified.
    Today at 06:16:51 PM
  • Daddy: New leagues should be the most active because everyone has a ton of assets.
    Today at 06:18:24 PM
  • Bigdon: Is there any openings in nfl.l8ve
    Today at 11:09:21 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey bigdon if u looking to trade in mlb live let me know im guardians
    Today at 11:24:50 PM
  • Bigdon: Well listen to all offers I need team in nfl live I am in all other leagues
    Today at 11:31:05 PM