Author Topic: A couple of questions  (Read 2216 times)

Green

A couple of questions
« on: February 21, 2010, 01:24:35 AM »
This should be obvious to me but it isn't. If Jermaine Dye retires, does his salary come off my books? How is it that Jermaine Dye doesn't have a contract in Baseball but has one on my team? (I worry about the answer to that one...)
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

Re: A couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 02:23:41 AM »
I'm not sure if we have a rule that explicitly handles this, but IMO if the player retires you're still on the hook as our contracts are independent of MLB contracts (after the initial league startup).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 03:24:07 PM »
How is it that Jermaine Dye doesn't have a contract in Baseball but has one on my team? (I worry about the answer to that one...)

He had an option for 2010, but we do not have the concept of option years in FGM.  The White Sox bought him out http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091106&content_id=7631464&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb, but in our league that's not an option.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Green

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 05:26:47 PM »
I'm not sure if we have a rule that explicitly handles this, but IMO if the player retires you're still on the hook as our contracts are independent of MLB contracts (after the initial league startup).

I am not sure how that is fair if I didn't give him the contract and he retires from baseball. Two points. In reality, if a player signs a four year contract and retires after two the team doesn't have to pay him the remaining two years why should I have to? I don't mind the option year ruling but that is if he is going to another team I still have control. Did the Angels franchise have to keep Adenhart on their payroll? This contract is not independent of MLB contracts, it was based on it and was based on initial league setup. If I bid on him I could half understand that but I still don't think I would have to pay a player if it is his choice to retire.

I would like a ruling from the Rules Committee. I will go with the result obviously.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 05:39:23 PM »
And what if he signs with another team and plays all of 2010?  At what point should his contract be terminated?  If/when he announces his retirement?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Green

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 12:02:34 AM »
And what if he signs with another team and plays all of 2010?  At what point should his contract be terminated?  If/when he announces his retirement?

I think that is the counterpoint to my argument and is a good point. In the case of Jermaine Dye (or Brett Favre) he probably won't turn in any papers and if he pulls a Pedro to be ready for a contender. I guess the case for my situation is that having chosen to retire and then un-retire that would be the definition of a free agent. I realize the sentiment is to stick it to me because it limits me. It's just another bad contract that was inherited
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 12:15:27 AM »
Seattle is on the hook for Kenji Johjima and he left MLB. Any contract before the league started (inherited), you are accountable for. Also any contract handed out - Billy Wagner I believe he was signed for 3 years (Ben was that you?), you are also responsible for. Adenhart died prior to the league starting. But at the time he was a prospect, and would have been able to be dropped without a cap hit. So I believe there was a ruling on this prior to my becoming the Commish, I will let Colby chime in on that. But as it looks right now, from previous history, you do not lose the contract once the player retires, or goes and plays elsewhere such as Japan.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lucas Lima #52

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 12:20:02 AM »
My two cents here...

First.. If the player officialy sign retirement papers at the real MLB, then the owner here should have the right to release the player without paying any buyout, as the player left baseball... If the player then plays a Favre and comeback, then he would be a FA just like any other free agent...

But if it's like you mentioned, a player that goes abroad or doesn't officialy retire and is without team, I think you could create a special "buyout" rule, seting the percentage lower than the normal buyout... Something like 50% for the first year, 25% the next and then 10% for each other year...

However, this type of release would be valid only during the regular season, to make sure the guy is without team...

Again, if the player later on comeback, his old team would have no rights on him, he would be a normal FA...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 12:42:42 AM »
Billy Wagner I believe he was signed for 3 years (Ben was that you?)

He was only signed for 2, but there is of course a risk that he doesn't pitch in 2011... same idea with Magglio who I just signed for 3 years, but is getting old and declining so he may not play all 3.

With respect to FA bidding, if we knew when a player retired we could freely drop them, old players would be signed to unrealistically long contracts just to bid up the total value.  Personally, I think if you bid up the value you're on the hook for that money, even if the player retires.

With that said, things happen in real life and players retire earlier than expected, and MLB teams are off the hook.  Maybe we can consider allowing a special, early contract termination on a case by case basis, where a specific set of criteria must be met, for example: player has officially filed for retirement, the FGM team did not have clear warning signs of this happening when the contract was signed, etc..  Maybe a player like Dye would be eligible for this if he signs the paperwork, but then someone like Wagner would not since I should realize he could retire any year now.  This type of rule could be problematic when drawing the line, but its just an idea.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 12:45:38 AM »
First.. If the player officialy sign retirement papers at the real MLB, then the owner here should have the right to release the player without paying any buyout, as the player left baseball... If the player then plays a Favre and comeback, then he would be a FA just like any other free agent...

This is a good suggestion, my only concern would be if we get into a situation where teams are abusing the fact that they get a free pass if someone retires (see my comments above).  If we can ensure that the rule would not be abused, I'd have no problem with a rule that keeps teams from getting screwed by something out of their control (an unexpected early retirement).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: MMMmmm. September 1st. Lordy. The servers may break.
    June 11, 2024, 10:23:29 PM
  • Daddy: Call in sick. Lock your Wife in the bathroom. Do what you gotta do. If you miss 9/1 on profsl you will not recover easy.
    June 11, 2024, 10:25:22 PM
  • STLBlues91: Im around the rest of the night for and trade talks
    June 11, 2024, 10:49:09 PM
  • Rhino7: I already called in sick for 9/1
    June 12, 2024, 12:41:01 PM
  • STLBlues91: Im around for any trade talks today
    June 12, 2024, 02:43:51 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: I've reached a new level of futility in my life: 10k posts here.  :)
    June 12, 2024, 03:09:35 PM
  • Rhino7: :toth:
    June 12, 2024, 03:15:17 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Nice work
    June 12, 2024, 03:30:10 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Im ready for the draft 8/1 in NFL Live
    June 12, 2024, 03:45:07 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Frenzy on 9/1 i will be bargain shopping in the flea market section. With a few coins and holes in my socks
    June 12, 2024, 03:45:56 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: 8/1 can't get here fast enough. 1 9 and 1.11 baby!!!!
    June 12, 2024, 07:57:46 PM
  • Brent: Those are good picks.
    June 12, 2024, 08:08:14 PM
  • Daddy: He wont have them by August :rofl:
    June 12, 2024, 09:18:27 PM
  • Daddy: These are dates to look forward to. NBA & NHL LIVE doesn't fire actual bullets until well after football starts. We try to hold events on the 1st of a month. The entry drafts are the only exceptions.
    June 12, 2024, 09:20:50 PM
  • Daddy: Baseball, Hockey, Basketball, LIVE drafts usually will happen one week after the actual draft.
    June 12, 2024, 09:22:04 PM
  • STLBlues91: Im around the rest of the night for any talks
    June 12, 2024, 09:42:17 PM
  • Brent: Same, I'm just doing homework.
    June 12, 2024, 09:45:14 PM
  • Braves155: I'll be around as well for some talks
    June 12, 2024, 10:07:12 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey if u pm me ill try and respond to them by late friday night. Im on a long stretch of work betten today till 3am friday night into daturday morning i gotta work 38 hrs so if u dont here from next 3 days thats why
    Yesterday at 12:30:32 AM
  • indiansnation: Shannonwalker pm
    Yesterday at 10:31:48 AM
  • Daddy: I thought he was retired or something
    Yesterday at 10:43:25 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: No he's still in leagues daddy
    Yesterday at 12:56:32 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: He's in armchair league for baseball.
    Yesterday at 12:56:42 PM
  • Daddy: Im not sure how well im received by armchair guys and Non LIVE league GMs. All my talk of feet & smoke.
    Yesterday at 01:22:40 PM
  • Daddy: Among other things.
    Yesterday at 01:24:05 PM
  • Daddy: Trying to provide competition for my existing GMs. LIVE GMs get it. I dont just advocate for LIVE. We all come on Profsl. Looking for the same things in general.
    Yesterday at 01:28:45 PM
  • Daddy: There are only 16 total profsl leagues and at least two of them are near death. With two more primarily held off profsl.
    Yesterday at 01:31:57 PM
  • Daddy: That leaves 12 viable leagues. 1 of those exclusively gambling and another trending more to discord in recent times.
    Yesterday at 01:33:05 PM
  • Daddy: If you take the time to come on profsl and the intent is to play fantasy but you're not taking part of free LIVE Dynasty. Not even to try it out? Retirement or Me is all i got.
    Yesterday at 01:40:50 PM
  • Daddy: I gotta beat guys off of NFL/MLB with a stick.
    Yesterday at 01:41:44 PM
  • Daddy: Well if anyone non retired with a profsl account wants to compete at a high level. We got the hookup. We arent hard to find.
    Yesterday at 01:52:32 PM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE will probably start as soon as its full. (Here is looking at you basketball GMs compete?)
    Yesterday at 02:05:36 PM
  • Daddy: We 80% on the full build.
    Yesterday at 02:06:31 PM
  • STLBlues91: I should make everyone wait for the nba since I got to with no players on my roster. Drag my feet on the ss
    Yesterday at 02:07:47 PM
  • Daddy: We are so early on all of our builds. The hockey & nba seasons dont start until October. In order to do start ups properly you have to be out front.
    Yesterday at 02:11:00 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah got to get the ncaa football done next week and then will knock out the nba
    Yesterday at 02:11:56 PM
  • Daddy: We are about to rap up NBA & move to NCAA Hoops LIVE. Then.. finally just running them. Turns out thats the easy part.
    Yesterday at 02:14:12 PM
  • Daddy: 20k players, 192 teams, $800, countless hours, and you dont want to try it out because you dont have time... To even try it out?
    Yesterday at 02:17:39 PM
  • Daddy: Who we fooling. LIVE covers every reason you would have a profsl account at all. We arent the only option and dont want to be. However, we cover any reason you could have to be on profsl.
    Yesterday at 02:19:46 PM
  • Daddy: I ask "Why are you here?" not to be rude. Genuinely lm asking. "Im here to play fantasy sports". "Competitive Leagues". "Enjoy my favorite sport online".
    Yesterday at 02:28:21 PM
  • Daddy: You could play dynasty sports for twenty years (i have) and never find a league like LIVE anywhere. Literally anywhere. On any site anywhere. Gambling included.
    Yesterday at 02:33:46 PM
  • Daddy: What was the purpose you had by creating a profsl account when/if you pass something like that up? What were you looking for here?
    Yesterday at 02:37:54 PM
  • Daddy: My Father and Best friend enjoyed dynasty so much they did it while literally on their death beds. That inspired me to build more leagues like NFL LIVE. Thats why Im here. To provide something nobody else was doing or doing like my team can do.
    Yesterday at 02:46:34 PM
  • Daddy: You wont find a better product. I wont allow that. And its here on this old, manual platform, despite many requests to move. I find this to be, a unique platform. So... There it all is. Now, why are you here?
    Yesterday at 02:50:24 PM
  • Daddy: My Father was in hospice trading for 1st rd picks for the future of the Franchise. Thats how my family does Dynasty Fantasy. Friends too.
    Yesterday at 06:03:51 PM
  • Daddy: This new generation that we bring on this site, they want the smoke. Some of these accounts are as old as mine with one league on them. Logging in every day.
    Yesterday at 07:19:09 PM
  • Daddy: For what? Yall aint posting nothing. You here to compete or read?
    Yesterday at 07:20:08 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: I love you man.
    Yesterday at 09:46:07 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Watching this Stanley Cup playoff with YourMoM. Send some offers. Check your emails. You sleep its over for you.
    Yesterday at 11:13:07 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Mt_Cushmore pm
    Yesterday at 11:59:01 PM