Author Topic: A couple of questions  (Read 2194 times)

Green

A couple of questions
« on: February 21, 2010, 01:24:35 AM »
This should be obvious to me but it isn't. If Jermaine Dye retires, does his salary come off my books? How is it that Jermaine Dye doesn't have a contract in Baseball but has one on my team? (I worry about the answer to that one...)
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

Re: A couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 02:23:41 AM »
I'm not sure if we have a rule that explicitly handles this, but IMO if the player retires you're still on the hook as our contracts are independent of MLB contracts (after the initial league startup).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 03:24:07 PM »
How is it that Jermaine Dye doesn't have a contract in Baseball but has one on my team? (I worry about the answer to that one...)

He had an option for 2010, but we do not have the concept of option years in FGM.  The White Sox bought him out http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091106&content_id=7631464&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb, but in our league that's not an option.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Green

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 05:26:47 PM »
I'm not sure if we have a rule that explicitly handles this, but IMO if the player retires you're still on the hook as our contracts are independent of MLB contracts (after the initial league startup).

I am not sure how that is fair if I didn't give him the contract and he retires from baseball. Two points. In reality, if a player signs a four year contract and retires after two the team doesn't have to pay him the remaining two years why should I have to? I don't mind the option year ruling but that is if he is going to another team I still have control. Did the Angels franchise have to keep Adenhart on their payroll? This contract is not independent of MLB contracts, it was based on it and was based on initial league setup. If I bid on him I could half understand that but I still don't think I would have to pay a player if it is his choice to retire.

I would like a ruling from the Rules Committee. I will go with the result obviously.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 05:39:23 PM »
And what if he signs with another team and plays all of 2010?  At what point should his contract be terminated?  If/when he announces his retirement?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Green

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 12:02:34 AM »
And what if he signs with another team and plays all of 2010?  At what point should his contract be terminated?  If/when he announces his retirement?

I think that is the counterpoint to my argument and is a good point. In the case of Jermaine Dye (or Brett Favre) he probably won't turn in any papers and if he pulls a Pedro to be ready for a contender. I guess the case for my situation is that having chosen to retire and then un-retire that would be the definition of a free agent. I realize the sentiment is to stick it to me because it limits me. It's just another bad contract that was inherited
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 12:15:27 AM »
Seattle is on the hook for Kenji Johjima and he left MLB. Any contract before the league started (inherited), you are accountable for. Also any contract handed out - Billy Wagner I believe he was signed for 3 years (Ben was that you?), you are also responsible for. Adenhart died prior to the league starting. But at the time he was a prospect, and would have been able to be dropped without a cap hit. So I believe there was a ruling on this prior to my becoming the Commish, I will let Colby chime in on that. But as it looks right now, from previous history, you do not lose the contract once the player retires, or goes and plays elsewhere such as Japan.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lucas Lima #52

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 12:20:02 AM »
My two cents here...

First.. If the player officialy sign retirement papers at the real MLB, then the owner here should have the right to release the player without paying any buyout, as the player left baseball... If the player then plays a Favre and comeback, then he would be a FA just like any other free agent...

But if it's like you mentioned, a player that goes abroad or doesn't officialy retire and is without team, I think you could create a special "buyout" rule, seting the percentage lower than the normal buyout... Something like 50% for the first year, 25% the next and then 10% for each other year...

However, this type of release would be valid only during the regular season, to make sure the guy is without team...

Again, if the player later on comeback, his old team would have no rights on him, he would be a normal FA...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 12:42:42 AM »
Billy Wagner I believe he was signed for 3 years (Ben was that you?)

He was only signed for 2, but there is of course a risk that he doesn't pitch in 2011... same idea with Magglio who I just signed for 3 years, but is getting old and declining so he may not play all 3.

With respect to FA bidding, if we knew when a player retired we could freely drop them, old players would be signed to unrealistically long contracts just to bid up the total value.  Personally, I think if you bid up the value you're on the hook for that money, even if the player retires.

With that said, things happen in real life and players retire earlier than expected, and MLB teams are off the hook.  Maybe we can consider allowing a special, early contract termination on a case by case basis, where a specific set of criteria must be met, for example: player has officially filed for retirement, the FGM team did not have clear warning signs of this happening when the contract was signed, etc..  Maybe a player like Dye would be eligible for this if he signs the paperwork, but then someone like Wagner would not since I should realize he could retire any year now.  This type of rule could be problematic when drawing the line, but its just an idea.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 12:45:38 AM »
First.. If the player officialy sign retirement papers at the real MLB, then the owner here should have the right to release the player without paying any buyout, as the player left baseball... If the player then plays a Favre and comeback, then he would be a FA just like any other free agent...

This is a good suggestion, my only concern would be if we get into a situation where teams are abusing the fact that they get a free pass if someone retires (see my comments above).  If we can ensure that the rule would not be abused, I'd have no problem with a rule that keeps teams from getting screwed by something out of their control (an unexpected early retirement).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: @BAB as per LIVE rules... All new ownership gets free drops year one.
    May 21, 2024, 10:00:25 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: or are they still ours
    May 21, 2024, 10:00:28 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: that part i get
    May 21, 2024, 10:00:51 PM
  • Daddy: The rosters are set by a prior date not todays or tomorrows
    May 21, 2024, 10:00:53 PM
  • Daddy: If someone appears on your roster its because they are your player
    May 21, 2024, 10:01:21 PM
  • Daddy: Regardless of who they start the new season with.
    May 21, 2024, 10:01:40 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: are we allowed to post drops now or is that at a different time
    May 21, 2024, 10:02:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: last question
    May 21, 2024, 10:02:46 PM
  • Daddy: Only the newest NBA LIVE rosters are unknown as we will go with the newest version for the upcoming 2024/25 season.
    May 21, 2024, 10:02:54 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE you must wait.
    May 21, 2024, 10:03:15 PM
  • Daddy: It doesnt start till 6/1
    May 21, 2024, 10:03:28 PM
  • Daddy: We just work fast ;)
    May 21, 2024, 10:03:45 PM
  • Daddy: Looks like its ready but the SS isnt finished and we cant do transactions till we finish.
    May 21, 2024, 10:04:25 PM
  • Daddy: Its not like the others. Its got NHL/AHL and formulas need perfected.
    May 21, 2024, 10:04:56 PM
  • Daddy: A lot of LIVE GMs came after i had won in football and built a monster in baseball. Many of you weren't there for the start. Like STLBlues. Like Braves. So you talk smack to the old Man (me).
    May 21, 2024, 10:09:00 PM
  • Daddy: I cannot wait to start these virgin leagues. So that (you too BAB) can get your deserved foots from day one. :)
    May 21, 2024, 10:10:30 PM
  • Daddy: Size 13 (lubricant included sponsored by *Acme Bigfoot Jelly Inc)
    May 21, 2024, 10:12:47 PM
  • Brent: I don't know Hockey, but NHL Live sounds good.  I probably shouldn't have left FGM as I have a little more time than I thought after leaving a bunch of other leagues.
    May 21, 2024, 10:38:24 PM
  • STLBlues91: Think there are 3 more teams left until NHL gets filled up
    May 21, 2024, 10:40:10 PM
  • Daddy: Four (4) NY Islanders >> Nashville Predators >> Ottawa Senators >> LA Kings
    May 21, 2024, 10:50:47 PM
  • Daddy: They each had owners who uncommitted two of them went to other sites to try to copy the concept. Problem is no Daddy, no staff,  no LIVE.
    May 21, 2024, 10:52:54 PM
  • Daddy: Nobody on Earth does hockey like we are about to do it. Its a shame 28 teams are gone without most of the true profsl hockey guys signing up. That's a huge loss. For them.
    May 21, 2024, 10:54:45 PM
  • Daddy: If you love hockey and you love dynasty and you arent in LIVE than you must hate me or competition more than you love the others. Which is petty & not worth our efforts anyway.
    May 21, 2024, 10:56:10 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE Spreadsheet [link] should be available to be seen.
    May 21, 2024, 11:35:31 PM
  • Daddy: @Brent we sincerely hope that you do join as a HOF level dynasty GM. The rules and a lot of format carry over from one LIVE league to another.
    May 21, 2024, 11:56:46 PM
  • Daddy: We believe that even if you don't know a sport well, we provide the material, and enough guidance advice that any disadvantages are minimized. Hockey is one of the greatest sports of all time.
    May 21, 2024, 11:58:09 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: Brent should I put you on the waiting list for the next opening?
    Yesterday at 10:53:35 AM
  • Brent: Nah, I need to resist.  I built the team I wanted and decided to leave so that's on me.
    Yesterday at 11:28:04 AM
  • indiansnation: Is their a way i can lgo and check out prospects in nhl live and get statistics
    Yesterday at 01:02:05 PM
  • Daddy: We have the same prospects as real life. Same draft class coming in. You are loaded for Bear.
    Yesterday at 01:06:11 PM
  • Daddy: The contracts that expire in 2023. Are upcoming FA. We giving a chance to extend 6/1
    Yesterday at 01:08:31 PM
  • indiansnation: I finally looked at the minors and i got a 40 year old player in my minors
    Yesterday at 01:27:00 PM
  • Daddy: Did we put Sidney Crosby in your Juniors? Whats the resolution you seek?
    Yesterday at 01:57:39 PM
  • indiansnation: No resolution i just saw it. No rrsolution
    Yesterday at 05:49:02 PM
  • Daddy: Ok. You know you can cut anyone you want and with FROZEN FRENZY as well as the draft we all have a ton of moves to make.
    Yesterday at 06:11:32 PM
  • Daddy: Hockey players don't make what football, basketball, baseball players make. The cap is lower than other LIVE leagues.
    Yesterday at 06:13:00 PM
  • Daddy: NFL Teams in OTAs. Hockey & Baseball Drafts approach
    Yesterday at 06:14:26 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah when we were filling rosters we just included everyone we could since they can be cut. I will be cutting a chunk of guys once we start up
    Yesterday at 06:14:45 PM
  • Daddy: Trading too. Not just cutting. Virgin teams need diversified. Ive seen owners swap half of they're starting players to get diversified.
    Yesterday at 06:16:51 PM
  • Daddy: New leagues should be the most active because everyone has a ton of assets.
    Yesterday at 06:18:24 PM
  • Bigdon: Is there any openings in nfl.l8ve
    Yesterday at 11:09:21 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey bigdon if u looking to trade in mlb live let me know im guardians
    Yesterday at 11:24:50 PM
  • Bigdon: Well listen to all offers I need team in nfl live I am in all other leagues
    Yesterday at 11:31:05 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon pm sent u trade offer in mlb live
    Yesterday at 11:55:00 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon sent u new pm with new trade offer
    Today at 12:08:07 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon ill post trade right know
    Today at 12:13:33 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon trade posted in mlb live
    Today at 12:24:42 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: bigdon sent ya a message also i dont think nfl has any openings rn
    Today at 12:31:00 AM
  • indiansnation: Bayarea Ballers pm about giants in mlb live
    Today at 12:32:31 AM
  • Brent: Angels looking for a power bat in MLB Live.
    Today at 07:17:38 AM