Author Topic: Limits to trading Cash  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
Re: Limits to trading Cash
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 06:56:20 PM »
Can someone please explain why it's a bad idea to trade cash for players?

I don't think it is a bad idea, and I don't necessarily think we need a rule.  This is where the TC's roll becomes critical in making sure that trades have balance and good intent.  Why not trust the TC?   They have been doing a good job so far making sure trades are legit.  I would say the general rule of thumb is you have to give more than just cash to obtain a player.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Canada8999

Trading Cash / Tied to Contract?
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »
When cash is included in a deal, is that cash tied to the player's contract?  For example:

Team A trades Player 1 to Team B, along with 5M in cash.
Team B then later trades Player 1 to Team C - do they NEED to send the 5M, or can they chose to keep it?

My interpretation was that cash included in a deal may be because of a players contract, but was still independent (similar if trading cash for picks, where there is no contract to associate, or receiving cash form RS).  Dan has told me that this is not how the rule has been enforced in recent transactions, and that teams have been forced to move the received cash onto the next team.

Thoughts?

Note: I thought I remembered seeing cash on teams that was received for players they no longer owned, but I can't seem to find any of those such examples (may have been a 2009 contract).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline nerwffej

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 6
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Illinois:
    • View Profile
Re: Trading Cash / Tied to Contract?
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 09:41:01 PM »
that happened with a trade earlier in year with rockies and myself i got hudson but he didnt send cash he got to me. But in trade we just made cash was sent both was as following player
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

Re: Trading Cash / Tied to Contract?
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 12:21:09 AM »
Jeff check your page, you got the cash. I just missed it the first time when processing the trade. That cash has gone through 3 teams now. So if another team is paying for someone's salary, and that player gets moved, the cash should stay with the player(contract). It has been that way since I started in the league. To name a few players that have passed through my team... Tim Hudson, Scott Rolen, Carlos Zambrano also comes to mind. Otherwise we are just moving cash. A contract is a contract, and it stays with the player. If we change what has been currently done, then there was nothing wrong with the Hanley/ Bosox trade, since we will all just be sending money to other teams. I vote for cash stays with the contract. It has worked this far.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • View Profile
Selling Picks for Cash
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 01:59:01 PM »
After having seen postings for this type of transaction by other teams, I would like to know if it is legal to sell a draft pick for cash.  Is there a limit to how much cash you can receive for a pick?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:00:36 PM by rcankosy »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Selling Picks for Cash
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 03:09:04 PM »
After having seen postings for this type of transaction by other teams, I would like to know if it is legal to sell a draft pick for cash.  Is there a limit to how much cash you can receive for a pick?

I think I forgot to respond to your PM Roy.  It is legit to sell a draft pick for cash.  The TC will decide if the cash amount is unfair for the draft pick.  Remember, the TC can vote unbalanced trades through as long as they are not too egregious.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

lp815

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 06:38:38 PM »
I don't think that cash should be able to be traded under any circumstance unless that cash is applied to the contract of a player being obtained in a trade. I think if you allow for players to be bartered for cash you enter into a whole new realm of problems regarding deferred cash payments in future years, flat out purchasing of a player by a large market team (which they can already do in free agency) and I'm sure there are many other issues that could arise but they elude me at this time.

I think Kris brings up a very valid point, and with the latest trade between the Pirates and Jays, this should be brought up again.  We have had every trade involving straight cash being in trades come up for debate.

It seems that this idea is more trouble than it is worth, to the point where Dan has expressed his views on the trade publicly.

I don't think the matter of whether a trade is fair or not should take precedent on whether the practice is a good one for the league.  It has seemed to split a good lot of us.

I would recommend we scrap the idea of trading cash, unless it is tied to a player.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 06:49:16 PM »
I second on Jake's point on eliminating the trading of cash unless it is tied to a player's contract and is not more than the annual salary of that player.

Daniel and I will rework our deal.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Daniel

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :LAL:
    • :LA:
    • :UCLA:
    • :LIV:
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 09:04:46 PM »
How about trading existing debt, is that a possibility? Just want to make everything clear here. also what will happen to other money deal already approved or processed?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Franchise GM: Toronto Blue Jays

Canada8999

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 10:37:27 PM »
I think Kris brings up a very valid point, and with the latest trade between the Pirates and Jays, this should be brought up again.  We have had every trade involving straight cash being in trades come up for debate.

It seems that this idea is more trouble than it is worth, to the point where Dan has expressed his views on the trade publicly.

I don't think the matter of whether a trade is fair or not should take precedent on whether the practice is a good one for the league.  It has seemed to split a good lot of us.

I would recommend we scrap the idea of trading cash, unless it is tied to a player.

I agree, but have a few questions:

Can I send PlayerA and pay all of his salary, and receive PlayerB with no cash received for his salary (with the other team net shedding salary)?  Or is the max I can send with PlayerA the difference between the salaries of A and B?

Can I send cash to pay for the bonus of a draft pick?  Pick 1-1 is nice, but it's a lot nicer if someone sends me the 7M to cover the bonus.

How can cash be paid for future years?  Do I need to pickup the same amount of a players salary in each season, or can I vary the amount paid as I chose?

I'm not super opinionated on any of these, but think they are some of the immediate questions that will be asked.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • BayAreaBallers: you might get one shortly if things progress
    May 26, 2024, 06:06:09 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: jwalker replied
    May 26, 2024, 06:19:35 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Back BAB
    May 26, 2024, 06:33:24 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: back at ya jwalker
    May 26, 2024, 06:34:01 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Daddy your wwait wont me much longer
    May 26, 2024, 07:39:35 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: deal abt to be posted here soon
    May 26, 2024, 07:39:43 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: there u have it teh 2 superbowl teams have made a deal
    May 26, 2024, 07:48:33 PM
  • Rhino7: :toast:
    May 26, 2024, 07:50:49 PM
  • dbreer23: Acuna to miss the rest of 2024 - torn ACL in left knee (last time was his right knee0
    May 26, 2024, 11:41:43 PM
  • jimw: Wow, he had said he thought it wasn't that serious.  I hope he can overcome these knee injuries
    Yesterday at 12:41:59 AM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Jimw pm sent
    Yesterday at 01:17:16 AM
  • STLBlues91: im around the rest of the day
    Yesterday at 03:08:45 PM
  • Daddy: Acuna fantasy owners world round didn't want to hear that. Not sure who has him in LIVE but its universally devastating news for Acuna fans.
    Yesterday at 03:30:59 PM
  • Daddy: Anyone feeling down, can perk up because the Philadelphia Phillies are good at baseball.
    Yesterday at 03:32:54 PM
  • Daddy: I feel better already.
    Yesterday at 03:33:50 PM
  • indiansnation: Good afternoon all
    Yesterday at 04:00:17 PM
  • indiansnation: It is 3:20pm and the phillies still suck.
    Yesterday at 04:17:18 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i hope phillies choke this lead
    Yesterday at 07:34:08 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Ask and I shall receive way to go giants
    Yesterday at 07:47:52 PM
  • Daddy: Playing Cleveland this week... I will catch SF later.
    Yesterday at 08:13:52 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: srry daddy as a giants fan we needed to win this game vs yall
    Yesterday at 08:24:12 PM
  • Daddy: Ditto LIVE. Youre in a remarkable battle. Revenge to me comes in whatever way i can get it. :rofl:
    Yesterday at 08:29:05 PM
  • Daddy: Hockey is coming. A new battlefield.
    Yesterday at 08:30:53 PM
  • Daddy: Who wants my picks? :rofl:
    Yesterday at 08:31:23 PM
  • indiansnation: I want your hockey picks
    Yesterday at 08:46:56 PM
  • Daddy: I would only trade them to LA and LA has no current profsl owner.
    Yesterday at 08:48:11 PM
  • Daddy: Some outside talent dont like the site by looks alone and we are very manual. Its an acquired taste.
    Yesterday at 08:50:10 PM
  • indiansnation: U suck lol
    Yesterday at 08:50:39 PM
  • Daddy: On site hockey talent are "get off my lawn" types that aren't interested in seeing what all the fuss is about. And Brian we can talk but i dont want Grandpa Sid.
    Yesterday at 08:52:29 PM
  • Daddy: Edmonton could get my picks
    Yesterday at 08:53:05 PM
  • Daddy: He talking McDavid type talk. Me like Connor.
    Yesterday at 08:53:34 PM
  • Daddy: All those junior hockey dudes we looked up and put on yalls rosters. I dont know them dudes. I might cut half them jokers.
    Yesterday at 08:56:49 PM
  • Daddy: Ive learned more about global hockey in the last 3 months than i knew my entire life. My brains are scrambled. STLBlues91- brains are scrambled. Fried man.
    Yesterday at 08:58:38 PM
  • Daddy: On to Basketball :)
    Yesterday at 08:59:13 PM
  • Daddy: You have an NHL team. An AHL team. And a 50 player Junior league development squad. In a legit 30 Category dynasty hockey contract league.
    Yesterday at 09:02:09 PM
  • Daddy: Youve never seen anything like that. Nobody has ever seen anything like that. Not in Dynasty hockey. You're welcome. ;)
    Yesterday at 09:03:16 PM
  • Daddy: Franchise? That's what a Franchise looks like.
    Yesterday at 09:07:12 PM
  • STLBlues91: Working on the matching now between spreadsheet/fantrax. My head hurts but got about 12 of them fully done and believe they are 100% good to go. Taking a dinner break and back to plugging in info
    Yesterday at 09:15:38 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be back in 20 minutes all pms have been answered
    Yesterday at 09:18:31 PM
  • indiansnation: I feel bad for stlblues91 this guy is busting his but getting everything ready for NFL live
    Yesterday at 11:53:15 PM
  • indiansnation: Watching Dallas stars comeback and beat edm
    Yesterday at 11:54:24 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: im happy to see teh stars doing that for my boi pavs
    Today at 12:03:46 AM
  • indiansnation: That had to be one of the best hockey playoff games I seen this yr
    Today at 12:32:34 AM
  • indiansnation: Anybody want to talk trade
    Today at 12:33:26 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: stars are a tough team
    Today at 12:33:29 AM
  • indiansnation: It was just amazing how Edmonton was leading and then all of a sudden 2 period starts and Dallas just took over after that and just kicked Edmonton ass
    Today at 12:35:55 AM
  • Daddy: Flyers have the 12th overall pick & whatever Florida finishes with.
    Today at 01:09:39 AM
  • Daddy: We are open for business.
    Today at 01:10:32 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: sharks could be interested in those picks
    Today at 01:16:53 AM
  • STLBlues91: STL will be open for business as well
    Today at 01:23:26 AM