Author Topic: Need help understanding pitching scoring  (Read 13896 times)

Dan Wood

Re: Need help understanding pitching scoring
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2011, 11:37:51 PM »
"One reason that people often suspect there should be a difference is that ground balls in play are more likely to be hits than fly balls in play. Although about 24 percent of ground balls are hits, just 14 percent of fly balls and pop-ups are hits (and 16 percent of non-home run outfield fly balls, specifically). Since pitchers are certainly prone to either be of the ground-ball or fly-ball variety�GB/FB ratio has as much persistence as walk and strikeout rates�people expect that there should be some difference between pitchers in this regard. The reason that this is such a small difference in aggregate is that the batted-ball type that really falls for hits more than the others is line drives, which drop about 73 percent of the time. Thus, the most important question in asking whether pitchers control their hit rates on balls in play is whether they control their line-drive rate on balls in play.

The answer to that question is no. Although we are perfectly aware that game charters are biased in evaluating what constitutes a line drive�Colin Wyers showed that very well a few months ago�when you look at a pitcher's line drive rate, net of his team�s pitching staff's line drive rate, the intra-class correlation Eric and I found was 0.007. In other words, pitchers who give up a lot of line drives on balls in play one year are no more or less likely to allow a lot of line drives on balls in play the next year. Line drives are not a pitcher skill, but they are the primary determinant in BABIP. That is why researchers have continually found that pitchers do not have significant control over BABIP."

This article from BP goes on to say that a pitcher can control whether a hitter hits a fly ball or a ground ball, so I'm thinking maybe adding fly balls to the equation - as stated above. If anyone (Mike I think you volunteered to do some research) would care to do the following for the two starts (Davis - Price) - 2 points for fly balls - outs or otherwise, 4 points for GBs, outs or otherwise, keeping the rest of our scoring the same. Just curious what the difference would be.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2011, 11:45:08 PM »
This article from BP goes on to say that a pitcher can control whether a hitter hits a fly ball or a ground ball, so I'm thinking maybe adding fly balls to the equation - as stated above. If anyone (Mike I think you volunteered to do some research) would care to do the following for the two starts (Davis - Price) - 2 points for fly balls - outs or otherwise, 4 points for GBs, outs or otherwise, keeping the rest of our scoring the same. Just curious what the difference would be.

I guess the question is why would we reward pitchers for every GB and FB?  There is an argument for GB, in that every GB is certainly not a HR, but FB's are often seen as a negative for pitchers (since ~10% leave the park).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2011, 11:47:09 PM »
Lowering the innings limit may make teams pick and choose which starters to throw each week a bit more strategically, but I don't think that will necessarily solve the 'Niemann vs. Price' dilemma, since they will still be scoring the same.

Just an idea, but what if Baserunners Allowed was brought into the picture as a negative stat?  This is simply Hits + Walks + Hit Batters, but this might correct the Niemann vs. Price issue, as Price's score would have went down heavily due to this.

I like this. Either penalize hits allowed or awarding outs recorded would work. It's a matter of coming up with the correct weights so that GB & K are still important parts of the scoring system
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2011, 11:52:43 PM »
I like this. Either penalize hits allowed or awarding outs recorded would work. It's a matter of coming up with the correct weights so that GB & K are still important parts of the scoring system

Awarding outs (ie: IP) is something I am undecided on - I'm honestly not sure what the research says about IP.  One would think a pitcher has significant control over their durability, and there is definitely a perception that teams sign specific pitchers for their 'rubber arms' to 'save the bullpen'.  However, there are metrics out there such as xIP, because if a pitcher gets knocked out early on bad luck they miss out on innings they might 'deserve', or if a pitcher gets really lucky through say 8 innings, when they 'should' have been knocked out after say 5.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2011, 11:58:36 PM »
Awarding outs (ie: IP) is something I am undecided on - I'm honestly not sure what the research says about IP.  One would think a pitcher has significant control over their durability, and there is definitely a perception that teams sign specific pitchers for their 'rubber arms' to 'save the bullpen'.  However, there are metrics out there such as xIP, because if a pitcher gets knocked out early on bad luck they miss out on innings they might 'deserve', or if a pitcher gets really lucky through say 8 innings, when they 'should' have been knocked out after say 5.

Like I said, there's gotta be some trial and error process to find the optimal weights for GB/K/IP. There is always an element of luck with any scoring system. The addition of IP simply bridges the gap between the theoreitcal pitcher's performance and the actual pitcher's performance.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
    • :ORL:
    • :TBL:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2011, 12:12:28 AM »
Pitchers absolutely have control over their ability to toss a lot of innings.  It's called command and low pitch counts.  It is no secret teams pay pitchers who find ways to "eat innings."  SP are more valuable than RP, as evidenced by contrasting contracts in real life and teams attempting to get their best arms in their rotations.  Generally speaking, a SP's innings are far more valuable than a RP's innings, not taking into account leverage and things of that nature.  A pitcher going 6 strong giving up 2 runs should be valued higher than a LOOGY getting two lefties to ground out, regardless of how few K's or GB's he had.   It seems our scoring system throws the baby out with the bathwater by eliminating good scoring cats to try to neutralize an already neutralized phenomenon known as luck.   

As an aside, I'll watch Tue and Wed Rays games (Davis-Neimann) and add the points for GB and FB.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's not the deep water that drowns us...we die because we stop kicking.

lp815

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2011, 12:15:03 AM »
An example of a bit of wackiness in our current system:

Tim Hudson was the 24th rated pitcher in 2010.  He induced 443 ground balls, which was 1st among pitchers and 60 ground balls ahead of 2nd place.  However, 189 of those ground balls were hits, and all of those hits counted as points towards Hudson's final score.  Tim Hudson scored better than Mat Latos, David Price, C.J. Wilson, Jonathan Sanchez, among a couple more top pitchers in 2010 based on most league's scoring formats.

Other notable pitchers in the top 50 in 2010 that can be argued should not be there, since they weren't on any other league's top 50 that I have seen:

27. Edwin Jackson - 1.39, 4.47 ERA
33. Gavin Floyd - 1.37 WHIP, 4.08 ERA
35. James Shields - 1.46 WHIP, 5.18 ERA
37. John Lackey - 1.419 WHIP, 4.40 ERA
39. Justin Masterson - 1.50 WHIP, 4.70 ERA
49. Randy Wells - 1.40 WHIP, 4.26 ERA
50. Jason Hammel - 1.39 WHIP, 4.81 ERA

All of these pitchers were either better than or roughly equal to David Price, Max Scherzer, John Danks, Matt Cain, Jonathan Sanchez, C.J. Wilson, and Wandy Rodriguez last season.  Do we really want these kinds of pitchers in the top 50, simply because they issued ground balls?

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr.TradeKing

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2011, 02:14:11 AM »
This is exactly what I have been saying. This will lead to these guys being paid more than commonly accepted "better" pitchers, which in no way can be good for the league.

~MTK
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
    • :ORL:
    • :TBL:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2011, 08:59:01 AM »

Tim Hudson was the 24th rated pitcher in 2010.  He induced 443 ground balls, which was 1st among pitchers and 60 ground balls ahead of 2nd place.  However, 189 of those ground balls were hits, and all of those hits counted as points towards Hudson's final score.  Tim Hudson scored better than Mat Latos, David Price, C.J. Wilson, Jonathan Sanchez, among a couple more top pitchers in 2010 based on most league's scoring formats.

Other notable pitchers in the top 50 in 2010 that can be argued should not be there, since they weren't on any other league's top 50 that I have seen:

All of these pitchers were either better than or roughly equal to David Price, Max Scherzer, John Danks, Matt Cain, Jonathan Sanchez, C.J. Wilson, and Wandy Rodriguez last season.  Do we really want these kinds of pitchers in the top 50, simply because they issued ground balls?

:winner:                    :iatp:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's not the deep water that drowns us...we die because we stop kicking.

Canada8999

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2011, 10:59:56 PM »

I think part of what you see in this list is they were unlucky (Shields had a big discrepency between his ERA and FIP or xERA).  The other is as you note, perhaps an overweight on GB. 

When the current system was put in place, the use of both HR and GB was raised as a potential concern, since they essentially both measure the pitchers effect on preventing HR's, and there is certainly  skew towards GB heavy pitchers in our league.  While inducing GB's is certainly an important skill, it's importance on FIP is included in the HR weighting. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Nobody gonna veto fair negotiations. No D level GM will be paying on A level GM contracts. Nobody will exceed the cap. No adjustments will need made to compensate league balance.
    Yesterday at 07:28:09 PM
  • Daddy: Yes @Brent but i have not disclosed that because i have seen our ideas pop up on other sites before we get to use them.
    Yesterday at 07:28:58 PM
  • Daddy: The scoring matrix has been configured. Its deep concept H2H.
    Yesterday at 07:29:32 PM
  • Daddy: Unlike anyone else is doing anywhere else on any platform on planet Earth.
    Yesterday at 07:30:02 PM
  • Brent: Sounds good to me.
    Yesterday at 07:33:12 PM
  • Daddy: Everytime i disclose information publicly you see the topics on other sites and leagues. A lot of traffic just looking at our stuff. Thousands of views...Why yall think that is?
    Yesterday at 07:34:09 PM
  • Daddy: If you are in CCD but didnt sign up for NBA LIVE :rofl: what was the secret sauce that makes you want to "exclusively" do CCD. Tell me publicly like im asking publicly so i may learn.
    Yesterday at 08:03:25 PM
  • Daddy: When there is only one option i get it.
    Yesterday at 08:04:56 PM
  • Daddy: Maybe...just maybe.. you aint really here for competition.
    Yesterday at 08:06:19 PM
  • Daddy: For you [link]
    Yesterday at 08:10:04 PM
  • STLBlues91: Im around for any trade talks the rest of the day
    Yesterday at 08:19:30 PM
  • Daddy: My LIVE GMs got foots for all you cats. You hockey gurus, you basketball gurus, you baseball gurus, you football gurus. All of yall that whisper in the background.
    Yesterday at 08:46:16 PM
  • Daddy: I got female GMs with big ass feet in this space. Come find out.
    Yesterday at 08:47:51 PM
  • Daddy: #ChicksDigDynasty
    Yesterday at 08:54:17 PM
  • Daddy: We have a Rhino. What you got?
    Yesterday at 08:57:14 PM
  • Braves155: Sitcom Married with Children
    Yesterday at 08:58:11 PM
  • Rhino7: :rofl:
    Yesterday at 10:39:45 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Open for business.
    Yesterday at 10:41:22 PM
  • Rhino7: Fear The Gore
    Yesterday at 10:42:06 PM
  • indiansnation: Good evening all 945 pm flyers still suck
    Yesterday at 10:45:31 PM
  • indiansnation: Rhino what moving pieces in nhl live u got
    Yesterday at 10:46:13 PM
  • Rhino7: Not in hockey, idk anything about it
    Yesterday at 10:51:41 PM
  • Daddy: Not all LIVE GMs do every sport @Brian. Some do 1 or 2. You know that. Also im going to massacre your Penguins. Just wait.
    Yesterday at 11:01:11 PM
  • Daddy: Did you see who @STLBlues picked up today? Goodness.
    Yesterday at 11:03:28 PM
  • Daddy: You see that Edmonton team? When you move top assets, thats the kinds of hauls you want to get.
    Yesterday at 11:05:10 PM
  • Daddy: Check out that NHL LIVE transactions on fantrax.
    Yesterday at 11:07:06 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: me and edm gonna have fun drafting
    Yesterday at 11:09:28 PM
  • STLBlues91: I got a full set of picks this year that are movable
    Yesterday at 11:10:16 PM
  • Brent: I don't know anything about Hockey.
    Yesterday at 11:14:14 PM
  • Daddy: In what league?
    Yesterday at 11:14:24 PM
  • Daddy: @Brent you are a vet. Your skills will carry over.
    Yesterday at 11:14:54 PM
  • Daddy: Stats, age, contract, google.
    Yesterday at 11:15:12 PM
  • Daddy: You will be a playoff team just because you're one of the best "Dynasty Fantasy" GMs mother Earth has birthed.
    Yesterday at 11:16:11 PM
  • Daddy: I personally would welcome the challenge of learning an entirely new sport within the confounds of dynasty fantasy arena. Its fun and if you dont win at first so what.
    Yesterday at 11:17:50 PM
  • Brent: Yeah, that's why I took on the challenge.  I'll learn and figure out how I want to build this Predators team.
    Yesterday at 11:19:20 PM
  • Daddy: I like the Preds
    Yesterday at 11:19:43 PM
  • Daddy: You will love NHL LIVE i guarantee it. Wait till those bullets start getting fired.
    Yesterday at 11:20:30 PM
  • jmntl82: Kings are in the same boat, NHL is a new landscape for me to traverse
    Yesterday at 11:46:36 PM
  • indiansnation: Jmntl82 p!
    Yesterday at 11:48:57 PM
  • indiansnation: pm
    Yesterday at 11:49:03 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey guys rumor flying that their might be a new hockey league coming out.Major League Hockey (MLH) is determined to be the next big thing in the sport. Looking to launch in the fall of 2024, MLH is looking for early star power to give their league some buzz and legitimacy.
    Today at 12:17:21 AM
  • Daddy: :rofl:
    Today at 12:34:39 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: mlh is a 3 v3 version of nhl
    Today at 12:35:42 AM
  • Daddy: :rofl:
    Today at 12:36:49 AM
  • Daddy: They will go bankrupt after the first year :rofl: :rofl:
    Today at 12:38:58 AM
  • Daddy: I bet this was Sidney Crosby's idea.
    Today at 12:42:22 AM
  • Daddy: Fantrax offers the following options that support LIVE format Dynasty Sports.... Soccer, NASCAR, PGA, & believe it or not Formula One.
    Today at 03:24:02 AM
  • Daddy: We are providing every other option across the 4 major sports.
    Today at 03:25:10 AM
  • Daddy: If there is a demand. #LIVE will meet it. Site traffic is climbing. Site membership. Reputation. Interests. Its far from where it could be.
    Today at 03:27:02 AM
  • Daddy: We are providing something nobody else is providing. Once these teams are gone... Grown Men throw public fits trying to get in. Yo... I aint lying.
    Today at 03:29:02 AM