Author Topic: Need help understanding pitching scoring  (Read 13567 times)

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
Re: Need help understanding pitching scoring
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2011, 09:54:53 PM »
Personally, I am not advocating whole sale changes to the current system, but some tweaks (like what Jake has suggested) would make the scoring model more robust.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2011, 09:59:27 PM »
Why not start the discussion now? Gives us more time to iron out all the wrinkles.

:iatp:

Perhaps all we need to do for next year is some small adjustments.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Mr.TradeKing

« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2011, 10:23:46 PM »
Why not start the discussion now? Gives us more time to iron out all the wrinkles.
:iatp:

~MTK
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2011, 10:43:45 PM »
Personally, I am not advocating whole sale changes to the current system, but some tweaks (like what Jake has suggested) would make the scoring model more robust.

I am in favor of reviewing (not necessarily changing) the current system for minor changes, such as removing either HR or GB since they are currently somewhat redundant.  I am not fond of the numerous posts aimed at slamming the current system, nor ignorance towards the proven facts on which the purpose of this great league was derived.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
I am in favor of reviewing (not necessarily changing) the current system for minor changes, such as removing either HR or GB since they are currently somewhat redundant.  I am not fond of the numerous posts aimed at slamming the current system, nor ignorance towards the proven facts on which the purpose of this great league was derived.

I am in favor of putting this to a vote as I have repeatedly asked for on numerous occasions in the past.  Are we that afraid of what the outcome of that vote would be that we would prefer to argue about it endlessly?  I am not fond of the ignorance and intolerance shown by certain owners who refuse to believe that they could be wrong on this topic.  I am not fond of people who give more credit to random articles on Baseball Prospectus than guys like Bill James, Keith Law, and the Baseball Writers of America who actually have some respect for stats like ERA and WHIP. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
    • :ORL:
    • :TBL:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2011, 11:51:51 PM »

To call dissenting opinion towards disputable data "ignorance" is a bit elitist, no?  Sorry you are not fond of the strong jockeying of opinion, but I for one think it is very healthy and telling of a great league.  People care.  You are entitled to your OPINION, everyone else is entitled to theirs.  To pass something that is widely disputed off as "fact" is egregious.  Again, people understand the scoring premise.  If the goal is in fact to as closely mirror real life as possible, then the most "valued" players in fantasy should, generally speaking, be the most valued in real life.  That is not the case in our league.  Whether or not one agrees with that school of thought, the school of thought exists.  I for one am not bashing anything, just expressing my opinion that the scoring should better value real life results, not processes. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's not the deep water that drowns us...we die because we stop kicking.

Dan Wood

« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2011, 11:56:46 PM »
Klaw
(1:11 PM)
Because a pitcher doesn't control whether a ball he allows into the field of play becomes a hit or an out, WHIP includes a component (the H) that includes noise from defense and luck. There are several other stats that try to get around that issue, like FIP, which estimates a luck- and defense-neutral ERA based on a pitcher's strikeout, walk, HBP, and home run rates.
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/32103/mlb-insider-keith-law

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
Looks like by the end of the night,Trevor Cahill will be 14-5, with the second-best ERA in the AL, No. 2 in WHIP -and No. 2 or No. 1 for CY?
25 Aug
in reply to @Buster_ESPN ↑
keithlaw
@keithlaw keithlaw
@
@Buster_ESPN Fangraphs has Cahill 31st among AL starters in WAR with a 4.07 FIP.
http://twitter.com/#!/keithlaw/status/22132994250
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2011, 11:58:49 PM »
To call dissenting opinion towards disputable data "ignorance" is a bit elitist, no?  Sorry you are not fond of the strong jockeying of opinion, but I for one think it is very healthy and telling of a great league.  People care.  You are entitled to your OPINION, everyone else is entitled to theirs.  To pass something that is widely disputed off as "fact" is egregious.  Again, people understand the scoring premise.  If the goal is in fact to as closely mirror real life as possible, then the most "valued" players in fantasy should, generally speaking, be the most valued in real life.  That is not the case in our league.  Whether or not one agrees with that school of thought, the school of thought exists.  I for one am not bashing anything, just expressing my opinion that the scoring should better value real life results, not processes.

I apologize for coming off as elitist, I'm just frustrated that we have to keep going over this.  In general, healthy discussion is absolutely a good thing, but in my opinion we are re-inventing the wheel or trying to take steps backwards. 

I will again dig up a number of sites that support my argument, and again invite anyone who disagrees to provide links to articles with counter arguments.  Please respect the fact that myself and those who are agreeing with me are working from published research, and provide more than just your opinions as counter arguments.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dougy12

« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2011, 12:18:51 AM »
I would be happy to put this discussion to a vote. I side with VolsRaysBucs. The first post that started this discussion speaks clear to why something, even minor, needs to be changed. This is my first yr being active in this league and I feel a change might be needed.

:judge:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2011, 12:37:06 AM »
A high-level description and some history:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_independent_pitching_statistics

The original article:
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=878

A great overview, with some quotes I'll put at the bottom:
http://sabr.org/drupal/node/3072

Fangraphs and Hardball Times are big into these:
http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/pitching/fip/
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/batted-balls-and-dips/
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/another-look-at-dips1/
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/another-look-at-batted-balls-and-dips/

Ron Schandler (founder of Baseball HQ) is pretty famous for his work, here is one article that is in the public domain:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/fantasy/shandler/2008-09-16-safety-in-numbers_N.htm

Generic article from ESPN discussing sabermetrics:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=5050780

From the SABR link:

McCracken posted his query on this subject to the Usenet group in 1999 and fourteen months later, in January 2001, found a receptive audience for his article “Pitchers and Defense: How Much Control Do Hurlers Have?” which was posted online at Baseball Prospectus.15 Shortly thereafter, Rob Neyer of ESPN briefly discussed it.16 According to McCracken, “All hell broke loose,” as he received 1,700 e-mails in two days,17 from sabermetricians who took varying degrees of exception to McCracken’s assertion that “there is little if any difference among major league pitchers in their ability to prevent hits on balls in play.”18 Craig R. Wright and Bill James wrote in to Neyer with reservations about McCracken’s theory,19 beginning the long and ongoing discussion within the sabermetric community over whether pitchers have control over hits on balls in play and, if they do, how much. James changed his mind after further research.

From the 2001 edition of The New Bill James Historical Abstract:

1. Like most things, McCracken’s argument can be taken too literally. A pitcher does have some input into the hits/innings ratio behind him, other than that which is reflected in the home run and strikeout column.
2. With that qualification, I am quite certain that McCracken is correct.
3. This knowledge is significant, very useful.
4. I feel stupid for not having realized it 30 years ago.20

I think that should be a good start ...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Size 13 (lubricant included sponsored by *Acme Bigfoot Jelly Inc)
    May 21, 2024, 10:12:47 PM
  • Brent: I don't know Hockey, but NHL Live sounds good.  I probably shouldn't have left FGM as I have a little more time than I thought after leaving a bunch of other leagues.
    May 21, 2024, 10:38:24 PM
  • STLBlues91: Think there are 3 more teams left until NHL gets filled up
    May 21, 2024, 10:40:10 PM
  • Daddy: Four (4) NY Islanders >> Nashville Predators >> Ottawa Senators >> LA Kings
    May 21, 2024, 10:50:47 PM
  • Daddy: They each had owners who uncommitted two of them went to other sites to try to copy the concept. Problem is no Daddy, no staff,  no LIVE.
    May 21, 2024, 10:52:54 PM
  • Daddy: Nobody on Earth does hockey like we are about to do it. Its a shame 28 teams are gone without most of the true profsl hockey guys signing up. That's a huge loss. For them.
    May 21, 2024, 10:54:45 PM
  • Daddy: If you love hockey and you love dynasty and you arent in LIVE than you must hate me or competition more than you love the others. Which is petty & not worth our efforts anyway.
    May 21, 2024, 10:56:10 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE Spreadsheet [link] should be available to be seen.
    May 21, 2024, 11:35:31 PM
  • Daddy: @Brent we sincerely hope that you do join as a HOF level dynasty GM. The rules and a lot of format carry over from one LIVE league to another.
    May 21, 2024, 11:56:46 PM
  • Daddy: We believe that even if you don't know a sport well, we provide the material, and enough guidance advice that any disadvantages are minimized. Hockey is one of the greatest sports of all time.
    May 21, 2024, 11:58:09 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: Brent should I put you on the waiting list for the next opening?
    Yesterday at 10:53:35 AM
  • Brent: Nah, I need to resist.  I built the team I wanted and decided to leave so that's on me.
    Yesterday at 11:28:04 AM
  • indiansnation: Is their a way i can lgo and check out prospects in nhl live and get statistics
    Yesterday at 01:02:05 PM
  • Daddy: We have the same prospects as real life. Same draft class coming in. You are loaded for Bear.
    Yesterday at 01:06:11 PM
  • Daddy: The contracts that expire in 2023. Are upcoming FA. We giving a chance to extend 6/1
    Yesterday at 01:08:31 PM
  • indiansnation: I finally looked at the minors and i got a 40 year old player in my minors
    Yesterday at 01:27:00 PM
  • Daddy: Did we put Sidney Crosby in your Juniors? Whats the resolution you seek?
    Yesterday at 01:57:39 PM
  • indiansnation: No resolution i just saw it. No rrsolution
    Yesterday at 05:49:02 PM
  • Daddy: Ok. You know you can cut anyone you want and with FROZEN FRENZY as well as the draft we all have a ton of moves to make.
    Yesterday at 06:11:32 PM
  • Daddy: Hockey players don't make what football, basketball, baseball players make. The cap is lower than other LIVE leagues.
    Yesterday at 06:13:00 PM
  • Daddy: NFL Teams in OTAs. Hockey & Baseball Drafts approach
    Yesterday at 06:14:26 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah when we were filling rosters we just included everyone we could since they can be cut. I will be cutting a chunk of guys once we start up
    Yesterday at 06:14:45 PM
  • Daddy: Trading too. Not just cutting. Virgin teams need diversified. Ive seen owners swap half of they're starting players to get diversified.
    Yesterday at 06:16:51 PM
  • Daddy: New leagues should be the most active because everyone has a ton of assets.
    Yesterday at 06:18:24 PM
  • Bigdon: Is there any openings in nfl.l8ve
    Yesterday at 11:09:21 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey bigdon if u looking to trade in mlb live let me know im guardians
    Yesterday at 11:24:50 PM
  • Bigdon: Well listen to all offers I need team in nfl live I am in all other leagues
    Yesterday at 11:31:05 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon pm sent u trade offer in mlb live
    Yesterday at 11:55:00 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon sent u new pm with new trade offer
    Today at 12:08:07 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon ill post trade right know
    Today at 12:13:33 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigdon trade posted in mlb live
    Today at 12:24:42 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: bigdon sent ya a message also i dont think nfl has any openings rn
    Today at 12:31:00 AM
  • indiansnation: Bayarea Ballers pm about giants in mlb live
    Today at 12:32:31 AM
  • Brent: Angels looking for a power bat in MLB Live.
    Today at 07:17:38 AM
  • Daddy: When i started on profsl in 2010 my first league i had to pay $45 for the Milwaukee Brewers in a start up league called SD.
    Today at 10:45:05 AM
  • Daddy: SD = Scouting Department
    Today at 10:45:26 AM
  • Daddy: Papps recruited me on our job. The only team available in a full and active money league.
    Today at 10:46:25 AM
  • Daddy: They vetoed my first 7 trade attempts. They publicly insulted me, calling me dumb, saying i should be kicked out the league because it was obvious i didnt know what i was doing.
    Today at 10:47:37 AM
  • Daddy: Im year 2 i won the championship and the prize pool. I would win it repeatedly afterwards.
    Today at 10:48:26 AM
  • Daddy: My Dad joined. Then these same fools said he was my burner account.
    Today at 10:48:56 AM
  • Daddy: When it was obvious he was someone else, they started saying we couldn't trade with each other or we were cheating.
    Today at 10:49:44 AM
  • Daddy: Profsl had a bunch of pencil dik crooks on it. All over the place. Corrupt LMs orchestrating trades to try to pre determine who won.
    Today at 10:50:57 AM
  • Daddy: To keep the money between "certain guys". That way it stayed in house and they just kept robbing fools.
    Today at 10:51:49 AM
  • Daddy: I created LIVE because LIVE is what those fake ass leagues were supposed to be.
    Today at 10:52:24 AM
  • Daddy: Real competition. Where your competition cant cheat ya and anyone that beats ya deserved to do so.
    Today at 10:53:15 AM
  • Daddy: All those bums & crooks & morons have either left profsl for good or they stay in the background, watching, and gossiping behind my back like a bunch of street corner hookers.
    Today at 10:54:41 AM
  • Daddy: Now all we do on profsl is play ball.
    Today at 10:55:51 AM
  • Daddy: How did i win a money league that they were cheating in? Because if you cheat, you still gotta be right about the players. They were smart at being crooks. Dumb at building teams.
    Today at 10:59:54 AM
  • OUDAN: I miss money dynasty lesgues
    Today at 11:27:47 AM
  • OUDAN: Ran correctly that is
    Today at 11:28:50 AM