Author Topic: Limits to trading Cash  (Read 3220 times)

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
Re: Limits to trading Cash
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 06:56:20 PM »
Can someone please explain why it's a bad idea to trade cash for players?

I don't think it is a bad idea, and I don't necessarily think we need a rule.  This is where the TC's roll becomes critical in making sure that trades have balance and good intent.  Why not trust the TC?   They have been doing a good job so far making sure trades are legit.  I would say the general rule of thumb is you have to give more than just cash to obtain a player.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Canada8999

Trading Cash / Tied to Contract?
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »
When cash is included in a deal, is that cash tied to the player's contract?  For example:

Team A trades Player 1 to Team B, along with 5M in cash.
Team B then later trades Player 1 to Team C - do they NEED to send the 5M, or can they chose to keep it?

My interpretation was that cash included in a deal may be because of a players contract, but was still independent (similar if trading cash for picks, where there is no contract to associate, or receiving cash form RS).  Dan has told me that this is not how the rule has been enforced in recent transactions, and that teams have been forced to move the received cash onto the next team.

Thoughts?

Note: I thought I remembered seeing cash on teams that was received for players they no longer owned, but I can't seem to find any of those such examples (may have been a 2009 contract).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline nerwffej

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 6
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Illinois:
    • View Profile
Re: Trading Cash / Tied to Contract?
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 09:41:01 PM »
that happened with a trade earlier in year with rockies and myself i got hudson but he didnt send cash he got to me. But in trade we just made cash was sent both was as following player
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

Re: Trading Cash / Tied to Contract?
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 12:21:09 AM »
Jeff check your page, you got the cash. I just missed it the first time when processing the trade. That cash has gone through 3 teams now. So if another team is paying for someone's salary, and that player gets moved, the cash should stay with the player(contract). It has been that way since I started in the league. To name a few players that have passed through my team... Tim Hudson, Scott Rolen, Carlos Zambrano also comes to mind. Otherwise we are just moving cash. A contract is a contract, and it stays with the player. If we change what has been currently done, then there was nothing wrong with the Hanley/ Bosox trade, since we will all just be sending money to other teams. I vote for cash stays with the contract. It has worked this far.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • View Profile
Selling Picks for Cash
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 01:59:01 PM »
After having seen postings for this type of transaction by other teams, I would like to know if it is legal to sell a draft pick for cash.  Is there a limit to how much cash you can receive for a pick?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:00:36 PM by rcankosy »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Selling Picks for Cash
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 03:09:04 PM »
After having seen postings for this type of transaction by other teams, I would like to know if it is legal to sell a draft pick for cash.  Is there a limit to how much cash you can receive for a pick?

I think I forgot to respond to your PM Roy.  It is legit to sell a draft pick for cash.  The TC will decide if the cash amount is unfair for the draft pick.  Remember, the TC can vote unbalanced trades through as long as they are not too egregious.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

lp815

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 06:38:38 PM »
I don't think that cash should be able to be traded under any circumstance unless that cash is applied to the contract of a player being obtained in a trade. I think if you allow for players to be bartered for cash you enter into a whole new realm of problems regarding deferred cash payments in future years, flat out purchasing of a player by a large market team (which they can already do in free agency) and I'm sure there are many other issues that could arise but they elude me at this time.

I think Kris brings up a very valid point, and with the latest trade between the Pirates and Jays, this should be brought up again.  We have had every trade involving straight cash being in trades come up for debate.

It seems that this idea is more trouble than it is worth, to the point where Dan has expressed his views on the trade publicly.

I don't think the matter of whether a trade is fair or not should take precedent on whether the practice is a good one for the league.  It has seemed to split a good lot of us.

I would recommend we scrap the idea of trading cash, unless it is tied to a player.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 06:49:16 PM »
I second on Jake's point on eliminating the trading of cash unless it is tied to a player's contract and is not more than the annual salary of that player.

Daniel and I will rework our deal.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Daniel

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :LAL:
    • :LA:
    • :UCLA:
    • :LIV:
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 09:04:46 PM »
How about trading existing debt, is that a possibility? Just want to make everything clear here. also what will happen to other money deal already approved or processed?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Franchise GM: Toronto Blue Jays

Canada8999

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 10:37:27 PM »
I think Kris brings up a very valid point, and with the latest trade between the Pirates and Jays, this should be brought up again.  We have had every trade involving straight cash being in trades come up for debate.

It seems that this idea is more trouble than it is worth, to the point where Dan has expressed his views on the trade publicly.

I don't think the matter of whether a trade is fair or not should take precedent on whether the practice is a good one for the league.  It has seemed to split a good lot of us.

I would recommend we scrap the idea of trading cash, unless it is tied to a player.

I agree, but have a few questions:

Can I send PlayerA and pay all of his salary, and receive PlayerB with no cash received for his salary (with the other team net shedding salary)?  Or is the max I can send with PlayerA the difference between the salaries of A and B?

Can I send cash to pay for the bonus of a draft pick?  Pick 1-1 is nice, but it's a lot nicer if someone sends me the 7M to cover the bonus.

How can cash be paid for future years?  Do I need to pickup the same amount of a players salary in each season, or can I vary the amount paid as I chose?

I'm not super opinionated on any of these, but think they are some of the immediate questions that will be asked.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • TheGOAT: Back again STLBlues
    Yesterday at 06:52:56 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE Entry Draft 7/6/24 8PM
    Yesterday at 10:32:18 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Yesterday at 11:23:15 PM
  • indiansnation: Shout out to yankees and rockies nice job in mlb live u guys took me out
    Yesterday at 11:23:59 PM
  • Daddy: Everyone gunning for the top teams each week and upsets happen in LIVE.
    Today at 12:01:05 AM
  • Daddy: More gratifying beating good teams. Nothing like an underdog.
    Today at 12:36:14 AM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Steelers/Chargers trade is in.
    Today at 10:52:31 AM
  • Daddy: You must be excited. Texting me n chit. A trade isnt a trade until it is confirmed.
    Today at 11:34:40 AM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Just calling the attention. Maybe a little excited.. Working the board.
    Today at 11:37:35 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: im really happy w how my MLB LIVE team did
    Today at 11:42:40 AM
  • Daddy: You know the secret sauce. You look championship caliber already. Second sport.
    Today at 11:45:05 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: guess my trades are slowly paying off
    Today at 12:04:14 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: and my fa adds
    Today at 12:04:21 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: yeah thx Daddy. im slowly turning it around
    Today at 12:06:30 PM
  • Daddy: Thats called activity and it breeds success sooner than later.
    Today at 12:13:44 PM
  • Daddy: Daily fantasy is for the idiot that doesn't know what to do with they're time and money.
    Today at 12:15:18 PM
  • Daddy: You gonna wager on how someone performs per game????  Youre an idiot. Yeah you will win some but the house isnt built to lose.
    Today at 12:16:06 PM
  • Daddy: Betting on outcomes of games i can understand. Betting on yourself i can also understand. Dynasty Fantasy isnt that daily crap.
    Today at 12:17:16 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: im gonna be honest haha i do daily fantasy on DK at times
    Today at 12:18:11 PM
  • Daddy: My how they flock to daily fantasy. They just cant help but bet and the govt finally getting it piece.
    Today at 12:18:18 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: but i tend to do smaller entry amts
    Today at 12:18:41 PM
  • Daddy: Not everyone that does daily is a moron. Just bout 90%
    Today at 12:19:04 PM
  • Daddy: Quickest way to lose money
    Today at 12:19:21 PM
  • Daddy: If you gonna bet. Then BET. Drop a G on a team to win. Or a horse. Or Ukraine. Or something.
    Today at 12:20:12 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: thats why i only do the 0.25-1 dollar entries
    Today at 12:20:27 PM
  • Daddy: What you wagering your cereal money for?
    Today at 12:20:41 PM
  • Daddy: Just the thrill of the bet i guess
    Today at 12:21:00 PM
  • Daddy: Not me. I work for a living. I want my cereal money. I like Lucky Charms cuz they are magically delicious.
    Today at 12:22:02 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: look i get it you hate dfs i dont do it every day
    Today at 12:23:13 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: but i only pick games that i feel interested in doing
    Today at 12:23:34 PM
  • Daddy: Im not hating. Aint my money. People have the right to be happy and we dont all like the same things.
    Today at 12:26:57 PM
  • Daddy: DK has more members & business than profsl. I know for a fact we have the better product but its a microwave society and most people dont know sports they just want to believe they do.
    Today at 12:28:13 PM
  • Daddy: Then go back to Facebook & TikTok
    Today at 12:29:05 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Daddy where exactly will the NBA Live signup sheet will be posted
    Today at 06:56:10 PM
  • Daddy: Since the boards arent up yet, it will be posted to the bullpen. But you know me, im going to provide the link.
    Today at 07:02:36 PM
  • Daddy: Idk why but basketball interest is very high. Maybe its the playoffs? Ive gotten ten pms trying to claim teams before the pre-reserved sheet is even up.
    Today at 07:03:46 PM
  • Daddy: First come.. First serve.. once full the waiting list is NCAA Basketball owners only.
    Today at 07:13:56 PM
  • Daddy: It will be posted but 76ers, Memphis, San Antonio all got pre pre reserved :rofl:
    Today at 07:15:11 PM
  • Daddy: And im waiting on my Son who has until 8pm. 4 teams gone. Leaves plenty.
    Today at 07:16:20 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: you have one more team now gone w my message
    Today at 07:19:50 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: to u
    Today at 07:19:53 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: who too sixers memphis and SA
    Today at 07:20:51 PM
  • STLBlues91: Im around for any trade talks
    Today at 07:39:43 PM
  • Braves155: PM Daddy
    Today at 08:17:26 PM
  • Braves155: I'm pre-reserving as well
    Today at 08:21:42 PM
  • Daddy: Hold on :rofl: please
    Today at 08:26:59 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Sure thing I just replied back as well
    Today at 08:27:57 PM
  • Daddy: 32 minutes
    Today at 08:28:50 PM
  • Daddy: Nobody can take Tennessee till i hear back from @yeagg other than that all pms were received and responded.
    Today at 08:33:20 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Got it
    Today at 08:37:34 PM