Author Topic: Need help understanding pitching scoring  (Read 14040 times)

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
Re: Need help understanding pitching scoring
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2011, 10:43:41 PM »
We are not proposing whole sale changes. Just some minor adjustments. Using my proposed system, the dislocation is minimal.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2011, 10:55:30 PM »
Only 7 (9.3%) members of the league voted to not adjust scoring settings.  Shouldn't the RC respect the will of the over-whelming majority? 

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2011, 10:58:46 PM »
We are not proposing whole sale changes. Just some minor adjustments. Using my proposed system, the dislocation is minimal.

My suggestion then is to figure out what we want to use, and run several different fantrax leagues for half the season... the most reliable scoring is the one we adopt. I think we need to do that before deciding on the new scoring format. We have the opportunity to see it play out before we make the changes.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
My suggestion then is to figure out what we want to use, and run several different fantrax leagues for half the season... the most reliable scoring is the one we adopt. I think we need to do that before deciding on the new scoring format. We have the opportunity to see it play out before we make the changes.

I did run a simluated league, results are here: http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=20377.msg102241#msg102241

Need more feedback on the proposed system. I am also open to modifying it to further punish bad performances (and thus discourage streaming bad pitchers)
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2011, 11:05:19 PM »
Only 7 (9.3%) members of the league voted to not adjust scoring settings.  Shouldn't the RC respect the will of the over-whelming majority?

I agree, we should suss it out, but I have had the argument from the very beginning that this is the league that we signed up for. To take on some of the suggested scoring changes makes it an entirely different league. I am not whole heartedly against it. If a suggested scoring format is brought forth that I think is more realistic, and still in the same vein of this league, then I will vote for it. But I am not for changing a scoring system because of luck.

In defense of not changing...
1 - the scoring has been in place since the inception. I am not in favor of changing something because Jeff Niemann didn't suck for one evening, yet still scored poorly (because he is not a pitcher this format supports).
2 - Value has already been established for players. Hence imaginary money has already been handed out, and budgets have been affected.
3 - the RC didn't exist at the time, it was league wide RC which for lack of a better word is anarchy.
4 - The suggestions are all over the map... a 1/3 want this, a 1/4 want that, 5 people want this. We are not going to satisfy everyone. It's a fools errand to think we can.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2011, 11:12:41 PM »
I have to disagree.  I could make your same arguments against dropping the IP limits which were voted on by the league LESS THAN SIX MONTHS AGO.  I'm quite sure that plenty of teams traded for pitching under the assumption that those limits would not change.  How is it fair to them now that some owners suddenly had a change of heart?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2011, 11:17:09 PM »
I assume you mean for hitters?  I'm not sure if it is or not - I would expect the perception that really fast guys are much tougher to double up is indeed true, but it may be pure luck for the rest of them.

Yes, for batters.

I need to do more research, but here are some interested stats
- Career leader in GIDP: Hank Aaron (NL) and Cal Ripken (AL)
- GIDP leaders for 2010 & 2011: only repeats are Hunter, Pujols and Young (do they have anything in common)?

Torri Hunter
Albert Pujols
Alexi Ramirez
Martin Prado
Yadier Molina
Adrian Gonzalez
Brandon Phillips
Russel Martin
Michael Young
Alex Rios
AJ Pierzynski
Yunel Escobar
Elvis Andrus

Billy Butler
Pablo Sandoval
Michael Cuddyer
Ivan Rodriguez
Adrian Beltre
Ty Wigginton
Albert Pujols
Derek Lee
Kurt Suzuki
Derek Jeter
Torri Hunter
Alberto Callaspo
Michael Young
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2011, 11:22:52 PM »
I can't argue with your point. I think the RC should have been around all along and not broken up for several months. That could have been brought to the RC and then discussed an voted on as well as changing the scoring. In a league this size you need representatives. It would be different if it was a shallow league and everyone could argue their point in a chat room, but you see how long discussions go on here, with just 3 people participating. Imagine 30.

That being said the values of said pitchers wouldn't have changed with or without an inning limit. Jake Westbrook would have still scored the same amount of points, Jon Lester would have scored exactly the same. And yes that was a strategy, and still is, that is being used (exploited in my opinion) on a weekly basis.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2011, 11:30:10 PM »
Plus has anyone done any research on what got us here?

Were Jeff Niemann's and Francisco Liriano's starts actually good, or were both lucky. Has anyone watched the games? Has anyone bothered to search for some statistical analysis on them? All we have are the box scores. It is possible that they were both flukey and this is what we are basing the entire movement of "our scoring is not realistic" on.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2011, 11:40:15 PM »
Plus has anyone done any research on what got us here?

Were Jeff Niemann's and Francisco Liriano's starts actually good, or were both lucky. Has anyone watched the games? Has anyone bothered to search for some statistical analysis on them? All we have are the box scores. It is possible that they were both flukey and this is what we are basing the entire movement of "our scoring is not realistic" on.

I think the main question is whether the scoring system should reflect the actual outcome of a baseball game (e.g., a bloop double allowed) or reflect the predictive elements of a baseball game (e.g., a strike out).

I lean towards a weighted average of the two elements.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: Cubs Have Reportedly “Privately Discussed” Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Trade
    Yesterday at 04:19:43 PM
  • indiansnation: Diamondbacks Designate Logan Allen For Assignment
    Yesterday at 04:20:32 PM
  • Daddy: Ive not had this much fun in a hockey league since... Well never. Im getting DMs from owners there thanking me and telling me all kinds of good things.
    Yesterday at 04:33:24 PM
  • Daddy: Let me thank yall. My happy meter has gone up since NHL LIVE began. Baseball & Football were always old hat. NHL LIVE is a blast.
    Yesterday at 04:34:47 PM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE Update: Expansion meant realignment. This has been done in fantrax but wont be revealed to you until you see fantrax.
    Yesterday at 04:59:35 PM
  • Daddy: We hope you like the format and we encourage someone from the NBA to take a peek.
    Yesterday at 05:01:29 PM
  • Daddy: We done did good :rofl:
    Yesterday at 05:02:16 PM
  • Daddy: When i link GMs early (NCAA/NHL) you guys slow us down with questions. Not realizing you are witnessing the magic of the league construction.
    Yesterday at 05:07:05 PM
  • Daddy: But i cant help myself. Im a sharing person. :)
    Yesterday at 05:07:42 PM
  • Daddy: Most people have never "seen" a league being created. Its pretty cool.
    Yesterday at 05:08:59 PM
  • Daddy: If you have pre reserved an NBA LIVE franchise. Check your fantrax at some point today.
    Yesterday at 05:57:39 PM
  • Daddy: The magic has begun..Its the babiest of stages fellas. We are just breaking ground.
    Yesterday at 05:58:59 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA is next, then NBA, then NCAA Hoops.
    Yesterday at 05:59:57 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA is gigantic. Ive never worked on or been a part of anything that big. Its a good practice run for NCAA Hoops. 64 teams with that many players. That was a lot of clicks.
    Yesterday at 07:33:01 PM
  • Braves155: Think of all the traffic and site views it will generate
    Yesterday at 07:36:15 PM
  • Daddy: Braves its going to be wild. There will be a point where we will have simultaneous season's happening. It always been just one at a time.
    Yesterday at 07:44:01 PM
  • Daddy: 11 NBA LIVE teams remain. 3 NHL LIVE teams remain. Before "Wait-list".
    Yesterday at 07:53:26 PM
  • indiansnation: Indians mlb live willing to move all prospects to improve my team
    Yesterday at 08:37:34 PM
  • Daddy: Somebody must've used your booty as a pedicure
    Yesterday at 09:03:43 PM
  • Daddy: Oakland kicked my ass. Damn u @STLBlues91. I will see u soon.
    Yesterday at 09:15:06 PM
  • Daddy: This guy :doh: where'd that come from. :rofl:
    Yesterday at 09:16:07 PM
  • STLBlues91: Some trades boosted me up. Cant go wrong with Tatis/Witt and some solid bullpen pieces
    Yesterday at 09:17:36 PM
  • Daddy: @jmntl82 no doubt. He has come into leagues gang busting :rofl: great job!
    Yesterday at 09:20:45 PM
  • Daddy: I knew something was up when i saw "Indiansnation: CLE in MLB LIVE will trade anything. Just help. You can have it all."
    Yesterday at 09:25:23 PM
  • indiansnation: Jmntl82 back at u pm
    Yesterday at 09:52:34 PM
  • jmntl82: Indiansnation pm back
    Yesterday at 10:18:52 PM
  • jmntl82: Reds heard prospects were on the table and couldn’t not get involved
    Yesterday at 10:21:04 PM
  • indiansnation: Jmntl82 pm
    Yesterday at 10:46:55 PM
  • indiansnation: Jimw pm
    Yesterday at 10:52:27 PM
  • jmntl82: indiansnation, let me know and I’ll post this monster
    Yesterday at 10:54:13 PM
  • indiansnation: Post it
    Yesterday at 10:58:07 PM
  • indiansnation: 2 trades mlb live and im still looking to trade
    Yesterday at 11:20:17 PM
  • STLBlues91: Im going to be around most of the night for any talks
    Yesterday at 11:31:46 PM
  • Daddy: If you want one. There is always a deal to be found. Weve got 3 sports of LIVE & others.
    Yesterday at 11:47:59 PM
  • Daddy: Anybody excited for basketball? :rofl:
    Today at 12:24:39 AM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah wish the expansion draft was closer than it it
    Today at 12:28:57 AM
  • Daddy: We are building it (Sounds of big trucks & Cranes/heavy equipment)
    Today at 11:41:46 AM
  • ldsjayhawk: Looking for a new :NYM: GM in FGM [link]
    Today at 11:57:34 AM
  • Daddy: At work?        Look your boss right in the eye and tell them you aint doing Crap until you make today's trade.
    Today at 12:03:09 PM
  • Daddy: That exact quote got me promoted. Now, Im the boss.
    Today at 12:06:27 PM
  • Daddy: I used to be Mt_Crushmore's boss for those that think im not authentic. I would tell him at work.. dont talk to me about work. Tell me about the Steelers. ;)
    Today at 12:08:55 PM
  • Daddy: I work. To support my Dynasty habits.
    Today at 12:10:03 PM
  • Daddy: Sell Drugs? Are you a pimp?.. tell them no product till i make today's trade. What kind of operation they think you running?
    Today at 12:18:57 PM
  • Daddy: Operation scheduled for today? No sir! Tell them not to bypass Crap. Until you make today's trade.
    Today at 12:21:35 PM
  • Daddy: Priorities Man. If you aren't dominating your competition, all other things take a back seat. Life needs balance. A foot needs an ass and an ass needs your foot.
    Today at 12:26:44 PM
  • indiansnation: Here is the nhl cap for the up and coming seasonNHL Announces Salary Cap For 2024-25 Season June 8th, 2024 at 4:50pm CST • By Gabriel Foley The NHL and NHLPA have announced the Team Payroll Range for the 2024-25 season. The salary cap upper limit has been set at $88MM, with a midpoint of $76.5MM and a lower limit of $65.0MM. This marks a $4.5MM increase in the upper limit for the 2023-24 season – tied for the highest single-season increase of all time – and a $6.5MM increase from the cap in 2019 and 2020. The upper limit also exceeds CapFriendly’s projected upper limit of $87.7MM
    Today at 01:45:46 PM
  • Daddy: I want to kick you in your upper limit.
    Today at 01:57:39 PM
  • jmntl82: :rofl:
    Today at 02:37:40 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy= blah blah blah blah. Starting to sound like my mother in law
    Today at 02:43:27 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Dang!!!
    Today at 03:03:57 PM