Author Topic: Possible Rule Amendment - In season re-signings  (Read 11641 times)

bravesfan4

Re: Possible Rule Amendment - In season re-signings
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
They have variable salaries because gm's when signing players make there contracts different by year. Most big deals are backloaded. They only thing averaged out is there current contract. its paid amongest the years. sure a gm could give it to them all at once, but in real life mlb when a extension is done, the contract kicks in asap! 

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 04:24:05 PM »
Players extension value should take over immediately.  Too confusing the other way, firstly.  And we have a limit on contract years allowed.  If I sign a player to a five year extension they'd have a 6 year contract...which is a violation!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 07:40:19 PM »
Players extension value should take over immediately.  Too confusing the other way, firstly.  And we have a limit on contract years allowed.  If I sign a player to a five year extension they'd have a 6 year contract...which is a violation!

All we're doing is making it formal before the 5-day window...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 07:43:12 PM »
Our current rule in place states that once you sign a player to a said amount of money, the new total immediately counts towards your current years budget. I propose a rule where you can resign a player, and the salary would start the following year. This was the Brewers GM's idea, but I think it is a fantastic one, and would make a ton of sense for teams in this league.

I would like to take the topic further. We also currently in place a way to restructure absurd contracts. I think we should also have in place a way to resign a player at a lower value. The stipulations would be...
 - Players value, from the previous two scoring periods, would have to be lower than his current salary
 - Player is in the final year of his contract, cannot be still under contract for multiple years - that is what the restructure is for.
 - Prospect Extensions are different. If you choose to do it for a prospect, then the discount will be for the prospect following year of eligibility. This falls under the 40, 50, 60... see prospect extensions.
 - If a player is in his final year of prospect eligibility, then tough breaks, either take the hit this year, or you do not get to sign said player under a prospect extension.
 - Contract must be no less than 2 years. 1 year deals would not be allowed. What FA would sign early, for less, for less years? No one I know.

The addition of this rule, I feel will make the RFA process no longer needed.

Please discuss further

I dont understand what you mean Ben, with the 5-day window.  If you re-sign a guy his contract should update instantly.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 07:57:36 PM »
I dont understand what you mean Ben, with the 5-day window.  If you re-sign a guy his contract should update instantly.

We're likely to move to a 5-day window after the season where teams have exclusive negotiating rights to their expiring contract players.  Without allowing future extensions, all we'll do is make teams wait for that 5-day window.  This isn't how it works in MLB, and it really doesn't benefit anyone to make them wait.  It also doesn't offer any advantage, other than the convenience of getting the formality out of the way.  Other than the additional tracking cost, which Colby seems to be ok with, I don't see any reason not to make the change.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 07:59:32 PM »
We're likely to move to a 5-day window after the season where teams have exclusive negotiating rights to their expiring contract players.  Without allowing future extensions, all we'll do is make teams wait for that 5-day window.  This isn't how it works in MLB, and it really doesn't benefit anyone to make them wait.  It also doesn't offer any advantage, other than the convenience of getting the formality out of the way.  Other than the additional tracking cost, which Colby seems to be ok with, I don't see any reason not to make the change.

right...but the value of the extension should begin immediately shouldn't it?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 08:01:39 PM »

Well that's the discussion.  My opinion is no, it shouldn't since it will only make teams wait but for no real reason.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bravesfan4

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 08:02:40 PM »

in season extensions without a doubt should begin immediately. You cant give a player an extension and not pay till next year. If we are trying to immulate mlb then you sign a player and he gets paid immediately.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:11:58 PM by Corey »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 08:05:37 PM »
in season extensions without a doubt should begin immediately.

Can you elaborate on why you think so, comparing the advantages and disadvantages?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 08:09:56 PM »
Can you elaborate on why you think so, comparing the advantages and disadvantages?

Because that's how extensions work

edit:  Note Adrian Gonzalez.  The Red Sox waited for his extension to avoid the luxury tax increase.  Why wouldn't they simply agree to an extension taking place after the luxury tax?  Because it's not how it's done.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:11:40 PM by joeshmoe »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Braves155: Speaking of NHL. Anyone up for an NHL LIVE deal?
    Yesterday at 04:05:16 PM
  • Braves155: PM Blues
    Yesterday at 04:07:53 PM
  • Brent: I am.  I read up on stuff today, I think I have a direction for my Predators.
    Yesterday at 04:23:17 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Im here for NFL Live. I get the trade itch every day but ive been suppressing it. Waiting for someone to make me submit to the madness again
    Yesterday at 04:48:32 PM
  • Braves155: Pm there buddy
    Yesterday at 04:53:17 PM
  • Braves155: PM as well dbreer
    Yesterday at 04:58:57 PM
  • dbreer23: replied Braves
    Yesterday at 05:10:11 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: PM Braves
    Yesterday at 05:31:50 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey guys whats up
    Yesterday at 05:31:53 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: NHL LIVE FOLKS sharks have zadina otb any interest message me ask is prospects and picks
    Yesterday at 05:32:27 PM
  • indiansnation: Lets talk trade
    Yesterday at 05:32:30 PM
  • indiansnation: Indians mlb live looking to trade
    Yesterday at 05:37:05 PM
  • indiansnation: Nfl live colts looking for starting rb
    Yesterday at 05:37:24 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Yesterday at 05:38:39 PM
  • indiansnation: ldsjayhawks pm
    Yesterday at 05:38:48 PM
  • Daddy: Oh Crap. Trade winds blowing like P Diddy sponsored them.
    Yesterday at 05:45:23 PM
  • Daddy: Flyers, Rams, Blue Jays, 76ers have responded to all inquiries. Not that my inbox gets flooded with offers. My teams all stink.
    Yesterday at 05:47:35 PM
  • Daddy: T Wolves loaded but its too early yet. Cant wait for NBA.
    Yesterday at 05:49:02 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Yesterday at 07:25:36 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy pm
    Yesterday at 07:28:41 PM
  • Daddy: Back Brian
    Yesterday at 07:39:44 PM
  • indiansnation: Back daddy
    Yesterday at 07:47:43 PM
  • Daddy: I want to trade in NBA LIVE too. Its just the baby stages and we dont even know the summer player movement yet. Rosters will look different by the time of the draft.
    Yesterday at 07:54:55 PM
  • Daddy: Its exciting. Only CCD remains active in basketball. Ive seen LOR fail here but get picked up elsewhere and i guess its ok.
    Yesterday at 07:56:11 PM
  • Daddy: They all pretty much use the same format. NBA LIVE we feel weve revolutionized todays Dynasty basketball standards.
    Yesterday at 07:57:00 PM
  • Daddy: Cant wait to trade but weve got 11 owners to find and an entire summer of movement to track.
    Yesterday at 07:58:52 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm offer sent
    Yesterday at 07:58:55 PM
  • Daddy: Lots of traffic onsite. Weve been near 1000 visitors all day. Im told they find out chat entertaining. Thats funny. If you are visiting and see this chat.
    Yesterday at 08:02:20 PM
  • Daddy: Welcome to ProFsl. We do Fantasy "Dynasty" Sports here & we do it better than anyone else.
    Yesterday at 08:03:08 PM
  • Daddy: Better than your site. Better than your Leagues. Better than anyone else ever cared to do it. Legends of dynasty sports have and continue to play here
    Yesterday at 08:04:12 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 post it
    Yesterday at 08:11:03 PM
  • Daddy: If you like fantasy sports but all you do is read the chat. You got no clue what you are missing out on.
    Yesterday at 08:13:21 PM
  • Daddy: We are why you bothered to try fantasy sports. We give you everything you need here to live out your dynastic fantasy dreams. Against real world wide competition.
    Yesterday at 08:14:32 PM
  • Braves155: Nice dealing Brian, posted
    Yesterday at 08:22:53 PM
  • indiansnation: Still looking to make trades in mlb live if anyone is up for it
    Yesterday at 11:45:44 PM
  • Daddy: Im looking for an SP. We all value pitching in LIVE.
    Today at 12:01:51 AM
  • Daddy: Bradish! :soapbox: your elbow may cost me everything.
    Today at 12:02:55 AM
  • indiansnation: Man thats gotta suck
    Today at 12:41:47 AM
  • indiansnation: i think i mentioned that to u daddy u lack debth in sp
    Today at 12:42:27 AM
  • indiansnation: Looking to trade in mlb live
    Today at 12:45:05 AM
  • Daddy: Shut up Brian
    Today at 01:32:49 AM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for a few hours for any trade talk
    Today at 02:15:20 AM
  • indiansnation: Happy fathers day
    Today at 07:26:56 AM
  • indiansnation: Morning dave w jimw
    Today at 08:22:53 AM
  • indiansnation: Nhllive pittsburgh has 5th rd pick and 4th rd pick in 2025 to move
    Today at 08:23:54 AM
  • indiansnation: Looking for guys with upside def and rw
    Today at 08:24:28 AM
  • DaveW: Happy Father’s Day everyone
    Today at 10:40:13 AM
  • indiansnation: Looking to aquire more vets in mlb live
    Today at 12:59:03 PM
  • Daddy: Happy Father's Day (shot out to @papps/@jojowalkwalk)
    Today at 01:30:04 PM
  • dbreer23: Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!
    Today at 01:32:16 PM