Author Topic: Contracts  (Read 879 times)

Redlight0516

Contracts
« on: January 20, 2011, 05:52:18 AM »
So I just wanted to clarify the contract rules for myself. We have the ranges that listed in the contracts section.

Contract Limits
Except for any contract inherited in 2010, all contracts must be no longer than five years.  Also, for a given salary, all contacts (extension, FA) have term limits (max years contract can be per the salary) as provided below.

Maximum Years
<= $1.4m, 2 years
$1.5m - $5.4m, 3 years
$5.5m - $7.9m, 4 years
>=$8m, 5 years (the overall limit)

It says maximum years and then lists the values, so for example with Marek Svatos, total value was 1.8M... so why couldn't I decide to take the 1.8M cap hit for the rest of this year instead of having to sign him for two years.

So for example if I sign Peter Schaefer to a 40Million dollar contract, do I have to sign him to a 5 year deal or can I choose to take the 4 yr 10M hit or 3yrs etc etc.I just want to clarify if these are Maximum years or if these are the years we have to sign them to.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Drew

• Forum Administrator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 80
  • Forum Administrator
    • :TEN:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :EDM:
    • :Clemson:
    • :TOR:
    • View Profile
Re: Contracts
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 07:00:18 PM »
So I just wanted to clarify the contract rules for myself. We have the ranges that listed in the contracts section.

Contract Limits
Except for any contract inherited in 2010, all contracts must be no longer than five years.  Also, for a given salary, all contacts (extension, FA) have term limits (max years contract can be per the salary) as provided below.

Maximum Years
<= $1.4m, 2 years
$1.5m - $5.4m, 3 years
$5.5m - $7.9m, 4 years
>=$8m, 5 years (the overall limit)

It says maximum years and then lists the values, so for example with Marek Svatos, total value was 1.8M... so why couldn't I decide to take the 1.8M cap hit for the rest of this year instead of having to sign him for two years.

So for example if I sign Peter Schaefer to a 40Million dollar contract, do I have to sign him to a 5 year deal or can I choose to take the 4 yr 10M hit or 3yrs etc etc.I just want to clarify if these are Maximum years or if these are the years we have to sign them to.

You would have to pay him over 5 years. Basically if the yearly values fall between the given values, then they must be signed to that many years
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Drew's Bio & Trophy Case

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - "Wayne Gretzky"

Redlight0516

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 03:18:41 AM »
Any Chance this is something that the rules committee could discuss changing? I think it would be nice for the managers to have the freedom to sign a guy to a 1Yr 8 million contract if they so wish rather then spreading it out.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Drew

• Forum Administrator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 80
  • Forum Administrator
    • :TEN:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :EDM:
    • :Clemson:
    • :TOR:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 10:49:29 AM »
Any Chance this is something that the rules committee could discuss changing? I think it would be nice for the managers to have the freedom to sign a guy to a 1Yr 8 million contract if they so wish rather then spreading it out.

I will move this into rules committee for discussion
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Drew's Bio & Trophy Case

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - "Wayne Gretzky"

Offline cheesesteak

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 11:02:36 AM »
That's not right. In every other league on this site you have the option to the length of the contract. If you win a contract for Schaffer for 40 million, you have to pay him 40 million (or 2/3 guarenteed) of the time lenght you opt to do it in. The contract/extension rules are more of a guideline to follow, giving you the option to take another season to pay it if the contract amount exceeds an established figure. No other league on this sight would put stipulations on general managers, telling them how long they have to sign players. Signing Schaffer to 5 years is just bad management. If the NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL, PGA, chess team, pocketball team, women's rugby team don't mandate the # of years on a contract then why are we?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 12:41:56 PM »
That's not right. In every other league on this site you have the option to the length of the contract. If you win a contract for Schaffer for 40 million, you have to pay him 40 million (or 2/3 guarenteed) of the time lenght you opt to do it in. The contract/extension rules are more of a guideline to follow, giving you the option to take another season to pay it if the contract amount exceeds an established figure. No other league on this sight would put stipulations on general managers, telling them how long they have to sign players. Signing Schaffer to 5 years is just bad management. If the NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL, PGA, chess team, pocketball team, women's rugby team don't mandate the # of years on a contract then why are we?

Not even close to truth.  You've read the rules for every other league?  Clearly you have not done so.

You're wrong.  Absolutely wrong.  Do research please before making such ignorant comments.

Because otherwise teams will sign unrealistic contracts with players.  Let me provide some examples.

Ex 1:  Should we allow a team to sign a guy like Ovie to a 1 year 50m contract?  It isn't realistic, and would be terrible for the long-term health of the league. 

Ex 2:  Can I sign Seguin to a 10 year 1m contract?  His player value is actually less than that according to our extensions.  So yeah 10 years at 1m would be great.  Again this is not good for the league.

I would consider adjusting the numbers, and while I'd like to hear a discussion about this, I am guessing there will be no change. 

No rules are simply guidelines or etc.  They are the absolute rules, which must be followed.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Redlight0516

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 10:56:49 PM »
I know I am not on the RC but here was my thought...

I like the idea of having the limits on the maximum years, and the ranges you have in place are great. All you would need to do is keep the ranges in place, but instill a player maximum like the NHL has done. I don't know what theirs is but believe it has to do with a % of the maximum salary cap. So we wouldn't get something like a 1 Yr 50 Million contract but have say a 12Mill/yr maximum on a player.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 02:04:34 AM »
I know I am not on the RC but here was my thought...

I like the idea of having the limits on the maximum years, and the ranges you have in place are great. All you would need to do is keep the ranges in place, but instill a player maximum like the NHL has done. I don't know what theirs is but believe it has to do with a % of the maximum salary cap. So we wouldn't get something like a 1 Yr 50 Million contract but have say a 12Mill/yr maximum on a player.

Just because I'm not fully understanding, can you explain what this would help curve?  Which issue would be bettered?  I think it would then bring upon our league this issue:  What if 6 teams could bid the maximum on a player?  Is it merely a race with no solution for the which would occur log-jam. 

I think having no maximum salary amount leaves the market open.  What would be terrible is if the league has no player movement.  If teams just hung on to their players and stock piled.  This is why the MiLR is in discussion about being closed off as a revolving door for salary dumps.

The free market will resolve itself!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Redlight0516

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Okay, then what I would say is allow teams to do lesser years, but leave it up to the trade committee that if you don't believe a contract extension/signing is in the best interest in the league, then the committee can vote to void said contract.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 02:15:15 PM »
No changes will be made  :judge: by executive order
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

* FNHL Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: ldsjayhawks pm
    Yesterday at 05:38:48 PM
  • Daddy: Oh Crap. Trade winds blowing like P Diddy sponsored them.
    Yesterday at 05:45:23 PM
  • Daddy: Flyers, Rams, Blue Jays, 76ers have responded to all inquiries. Not that my inbox gets flooded with offers. My teams all stink.
    Yesterday at 05:47:35 PM
  • Daddy: T Wolves loaded but its too early yet. Cant wait for NBA.
    Yesterday at 05:49:02 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Yesterday at 07:25:36 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy pm
    Yesterday at 07:28:41 PM
  • Daddy: Back Brian
    Yesterday at 07:39:44 PM
  • indiansnation: Back daddy
    Yesterday at 07:47:43 PM
  • Daddy: I want to trade in NBA LIVE too. Its just the baby stages and we dont even know the summer player movement yet. Rosters will look different by the time of the draft.
    Yesterday at 07:54:55 PM
  • Daddy: Its exciting. Only CCD remains active in basketball. Ive seen LOR fail here but get picked up elsewhere and i guess its ok.
    Yesterday at 07:56:11 PM
  • Daddy: They all pretty much use the same format. NBA LIVE we feel weve revolutionized todays Dynasty basketball standards.
    Yesterday at 07:57:00 PM
  • Daddy: Cant wait to trade but weve got 11 owners to find and an entire summer of movement to track.
    Yesterday at 07:58:52 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm offer sent
    Yesterday at 07:58:55 PM
  • Daddy: Lots of traffic onsite. Weve been near 1000 visitors all day. Im told they find out chat entertaining. Thats funny. If you are visiting and see this chat.
    Yesterday at 08:02:20 PM
  • Daddy: Welcome to ProFsl. We do Fantasy "Dynasty" Sports here & we do it better than anyone else.
    Yesterday at 08:03:08 PM
  • Daddy: Better than your site. Better than your Leagues. Better than anyone else ever cared to do it. Legends of dynasty sports have and continue to play here
    Yesterday at 08:04:12 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 post it
    Yesterday at 08:11:03 PM
  • Daddy: If you like fantasy sports but all you do is read the chat. You got no clue what you are missing out on.
    Yesterday at 08:13:21 PM
  • Daddy: We are why you bothered to try fantasy sports. We give you everything you need here to live out your dynastic fantasy dreams. Against real world wide competition.
    Yesterday at 08:14:32 PM
  • Braves155: Nice dealing Brian, posted
    Yesterday at 08:22:53 PM
  • indiansnation: Still looking to make trades in mlb live if anyone is up for it
    Yesterday at 11:45:44 PM
  • Daddy: Im looking for an SP. We all value pitching in LIVE.
    Today at 12:01:51 AM
  • Daddy: Bradish! :soapbox: your elbow may cost me everything.
    Today at 12:02:55 AM
  • indiansnation: Man thats gotta suck
    Today at 12:41:47 AM
  • indiansnation: i think i mentioned that to u daddy u lack debth in sp
    Today at 12:42:27 AM
  • indiansnation: Looking to trade in mlb live
    Today at 12:45:05 AM
  • Daddy: Shut up Brian
    Today at 01:32:49 AM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for a few hours for any trade talk
    Today at 02:15:20 AM
  • indiansnation: Happy fathers day
    Today at 07:26:56 AM
  • indiansnation: Morning dave w jimw
    Today at 08:22:53 AM
  • indiansnation: Nhllive pittsburgh has 5th rd pick and 4th rd pick in 2025 to move
    Today at 08:23:54 AM
  • indiansnation: Looking for guys with upside def and rw
    Today at 08:24:28 AM
  • DaveW: Happy Father’s Day everyone
    Today at 10:40:13 AM
  • indiansnation: Looking to aquire more vets in mlb live
    Today at 12:59:03 PM
  • Daddy: Happy Father's Day (shot out to @papps/@jojowalkwalk)
    Today at 01:30:04 PM
  • dbreer23: Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!
    Today at 01:32:16 PM
  • indiansnation: Kylerap pm
    Today at 01:55:51 PM
  • indiansnation: Happy fathers day daddy and everyone
    Today at 01:56:27 PM
  • STLBlues91: Im around all day for any trade talk
    Today at 02:46:16 PM
  • Braves155: Sme here
    Today at 05:00:25 PM
  • Braves155: PM Daddy
    Today at 05:12:05 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Got a 5th round pick im gonna be selling in NFL Live 5.12. As well as CB/S Caden Sterns. I need the roster space. Hit me up
    Today at 05:57:09 PM
  • Daddy: Caden Sterns still do that thing on XM radio? Thats a sweet deal he got.
    Today at 06:24:08 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Anyone seem or heard
    Today at 07:40:27 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: *Anyone seen or heard from Billy recently?
    Today at 07:40:44 PM
  • indiansnation: No
    Today at 07:47:45 PM
  • indiansnation: Looking to trade in any league
    Today at 07:48:14 PM
  • indiansnation: 2:15PM: The Dodgers announced this afternoon that they’ve placed right-hander Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the 15-day injured list with triceps tightness. The club also placed right-hander Michael Grove on the 15-day injured list due to lat tightness. In corresponding moves, the club has recalled right-hander J.P. Feyereisen and selected the contract of right-hander Michael Petersen. To make room for Petersen on the 40-man roster, the Dodgers transferred right-hander Joe Kelly to the 60-day injured list.
    Today at 09:21:38 PM
  • indiansnation: Mookie Betts was hit on the left hand by a Dan Altavilla fastball today, causing Betts to drop to the ground in immediate pain and then leave the game.  Dodgers manager Dave Roberts told reporters (including Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times) after the game that Betts has a fractured bone in the hand and will be out of action “for some time,” though the former AL MVP won’t require surgery.
    Today at 09:22:45 PM
  • indiansnation: Pk tell me if im wrong but its seems more players our injured this year then this time last year
    Today at 09:24:33 PM