Author Topic: Trade b/w Rockies & Cubs  (Read 3835 times)

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
Re: Trade b/w Rockies & Cubs
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 01:33:34 PM »
This can be taken out of context if the league allows trades of questionable sort to pass.  For instance, a Joe Mauer for, let's say, Jose Guillen.  'One side is in need of a catcher, the other an outfielder, so what's the problem?' the teams claim.  The reality is that all players in this league do have a value, though it is never said or given.  It is just a consensus value that us members, experts, even the MLB itself has on it's players.  We know that the skill levels of certain players overmatch others, otherwise we would see outlandish trades all over the league.  It is just a given assessment in fantasy sports.  If we allow every trade to go through, what is the point of a Trade Committee then? What is the point of approving each trade if we are supposed to allow every one, every time?

Two of your reasons for this trade is that you are taking on injury prone players and that there have been uneven trades in the league already.  I don't see the logic in those reasonings, simply put.

I understand that the Pujols deal, as well as even the Dye/Helton deal seemed very iffy to some.  Looking back on it, maybe both should have been reviewed more carefully, but the decisions were made, and we cannot change that.  But we have to learn to not let those trades pass, not just keep allowing them.

I have not made a vote yet.  Rockies and Cubs, I would like to see the Cubs receive one or two more players of some sort, and they do not have to be great, or even good, players.  If that happens, I will definitely be more accepting of this trade.

Other RC members, please chime in here, let the league know how each of us feel on situations like this.  I'm only one member, and if I am overruled, that's totally fine, that's the game we play. :koolaid:

I brought up the other uneven deals because I thought this is a league where we do have heavy handed commissioners that would veto any deal that seems unfair. I brought up the probably of injury because that significantly affects the value of the player. Yes, we all deal for players based on the assumption that they won't get hurt. But, you have to account for probablity of injuries and lost dollars.

The fact that you said " I would like to see the Cubs receive one or two more players of some sort, and they do not have to be great, or even good, players.  If that happens, I will definitely be more accepting of this trade." simply demonstrate  that you have different player evaluation standards then I do and anything that doesn't meet your standard needs to be adjusted.  Maloney prior to 2009 is ranked as one of the top 5 pitching prospects in the league according to at least one site.  That alone should be enough to let the deal through (Matsuz for Broxon as an example of a similar deal that is getting through). However absurd you think the Maloney assertion is, it is my (Cubs) player and my (cubs) opinion. We play this game because we want to test out our own theory on players and team building, not because we want to following the concensus. The degree for which we depart from the concensus is not a reason to veto a deal.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bridgestone

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 01:43:53 PM »
Howe, we will re-work a deal if this one doesn't go through.  Obviously it would be too my benefit but I could use a couple of scrub prospect OF if you have them.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 02:05:25 PM »
I can see why the Cubs would make the deal.  Not many teams, if any, would take Zambrano's contract.  He had to package Carpenter.  The thing is besides the free up in cap space the Cubs are getting a whole lot less than they gave up to get him in the first place.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Dan Wood

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 02:12:19 PM »
Just wanted to chime in since this seemed to be getting a bit tense. We have to remember ladies that this is just a game. That said, I am neither for or against this trade. I have no authority in this league and I am not a member of the TC. So anything I say can easily be passed off. However, I understand the trade from both perspectives - the Rocks and the Cubs, as well as the TC. Please correct me if I am wrong. The Cubs wanting to rid himself of the anchor that is Carlos Zambrano, had to give up something of value - Chris Carpenter. The Rockies in taking on Zambrano, would need something of value - Carpenter. The TC is merely saying what did the Cubs get back. In this case I think it is addition by subtraction. The Cubs now have the power to maneuver past what he was given by Jim Hendry.

But, we all signed up for this league and agreed to abide by its rules. So arguing over it, doesn't make the process go smoother, it just makes things worse. For better or worse, the TC is part of the league that we joined. So if they say no, then they say no... that is what we signed up for.
Also to say that Maloney is on the same level of Matusz is reaching to say the best. Maloney is a nice little pitcher, is a gutty pitcher who lacks a fastball that goes above 90. But he is a smart pitcher, and could be the Reds 5th starter in 2010. Currently he is #6 on the depth chart behind Micah Owings. Also to say that he was a top 5 pitching prospect (in the league) is also reaching. Matusz is a stud in the making and I hate to see him on my direct competitors team. Damn you again Brewers! If you are going to make an argument, or a statement like that have some facts to back it up. Which publication is this from? Here is Baseball America in 2008 - just the Reds mind you.
1.     Jay Bruce, of
2.    Homer Bailey, rhp
3.    Joey Votto, 1b/of
4.    Johnny Cueto, rhp
5.    Drew Stubbs, of
6.    Devin Mesoraco, c
7.    Todd Frazier, ss
8.    Juan Francisco, 3b
9.    Josh Roenicke, rhp
10.    Matt Maloney, lhp

and Baseball Prospectus in 2008
Five-Star Prospects
1. Jay Bruce, CF
2. Homer Bailey, RHP
3. Joey Votto, 1B/OF
Four-Star Prospects
4. Johnny Cueto, RHP
Three-Star Prospects
5. Todd Frazier, INF
6. Devin Mesoraco, C
7. Drew Stubbs, CF
8. Matt Maloney, LHP
9. Kyle Lotzkar, RHP
10. Juan Francisco, 3B
Two-Star Prospects
11. Neftali Soto, SS
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mjmezzetti

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 03:59:03 PM »
I have no problem with this deal.  As long as there's no reason to suspect corruption I think it's best all trades are approved.  It's difficult enough to come to an agreement with one manager, I'm not sure it's in the best interest of the league to start interfering with trades.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 04:01:59 PM by mjmezzetti »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 05:00:02 PM »
Good points by M.J. (TC) and Dan (most likely future TC member)...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 05:12:02 PM »
Just wanted to chime in since this seemed to be getting a bit tense. We have to remember ladies that this is just a game. That said, I am neither for or against this trade. I have no authority in this league and I am not a member of the TC. So anything I say can easily be passed off. However, I understand the trade from both perspectives - the Rocks and the Cubs, as well as the TC. Please correct me if I am wrong. The Cubs wanting to rid himself of the anchor that is Carlos Zambrano, had to give up something of value - Chris Carpenter. The Rockies in taking on Zambrano, would need something of value - Carpenter. The TC is merely saying what did the Cubs get back. In this case I think it is addition by subtraction. The Cubs now have the power to maneuver past what he was given by Jim Hendry.

But, we all signed up for this league and agreed to abide by its rules. So arguing over it, doesn't make the process go smoother, it just makes things worse. For better or worse, the TC is part of the league that we joined. So if they say no, then they say no... that is what we signed up for.
Also to say that Maloney is on the same level of Matusz is reaching to say the best. Maloney is a nice little pitcher, is a gutty pitcher who lacks a fastball that goes above 90. But he is a smart pitcher, and could be the Reds 5th starter in 2010. Currently he is #6 on the depth chart behind Micah Owings. Also to say that he was a top 5 pitching prospect (in the league) is also reaching. Matusz is a stud in the making and I hate to see him on my direct competitors team. Damn you again Brewers! If you are going to make an argument, or a statement like that have some facts to back it up. Which publication is this from? Here is Baseball America in 2008 - just the Reds mind you.
1.     Jay Bruce, of
2.    Homer Bailey, rhp
3.    Joey Votto, 1b/of
4.    Johnny Cueto, rhp
5.    Drew Stubbs, of
6.    Devin Mesoraco, c
7.    Todd Frazier, ss
8.    Juan Francisco, 3b
9.    Josh Roenicke, rhp
10.    Matt Maloney, lhp

and Baseball Prospectus in 2008
Five-Star Prospects
1. Jay Bruce, CF
2. Homer Bailey, RHP
3. Joey Votto, 1B/OF
Four-Star Prospects
4. Johnny Cueto, RHP
Three-Star Prospects
5. Todd Frazier, INF
6. Devin Mesoraco, C
7. Drew Stubbs, CF
8. Matt Maloney, LHP
9. Kyle Lotzkar, RHP
10. Juan Francisco, 3B
Two-Star Prospects
11. Neftali Soto, SS

I agree that we should go by the rules that we signed up for, but I did not realize that RC has this much power.

With regards to the BA rankings, unless BA can see exactly what will happen twenty-years down the road and tailor its rankings to our league's scoring system, its ranking of Reds prospect is not useful at all when comparing players. While I do have a lot of respect for BA,  its ranking is definitely not a "fact".
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 05:39:58 PM »
No publication does... except for the book that Marty McFly stole in Back to the Future part 2... I was merely asking you to back up your statement, that Maloney was before 2009 a top 5 pitching prospect in the league. Because if that is the case, I made a huge mistake trading him away.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Cutter

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 05:43:18 PM »
Wow - a lot of moves are happening!  I have no authority, but I can understand the Cubs cutting salary as that is what I have done this fall.  At least he gets a lot of picks and frees up a ton of salary.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline BHows

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :CIN-NFL:
    • :Kentucky:
    • :CIN:
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 06:28:50 PM »
I would LOVE to get into this conversation. Too bad I've got enough on my plate right now. Good minds involved though, I trust you will sort it out.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2022 WCB2 Champions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • BayAreaBallers: I also let one more walk
    Yesterday at 05:45:40 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I have not signed 2 players
    Yesterday at 05:45:54 PM
  • OUDAN: I se that
    Yesterday at 05:50:55 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: yepp
    Yesterday at 06:01:41 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: both on purpose
    Yesterday at 06:01:49 PM
  • Brent: I can afford Mobley.  I'll send a 2024 1st for him.
    Yesterday at 07:17:03 PM
  • TheGOAT: Would the NBA Live Draft be based on the actual NBA draft for the first year?
    Yesterday at 07:48:03 PM
  • OUDAN: Already traded him Brent
    Yesterday at 08:02:00 PM
  • Daddy: @TheGoat yes. As addressed yesterday the exception is the expansion Franchises are guaranteed #1 & #2 overall.
    Yesterday at 08:26:42 PM
  • Daddy: Updated NBA LIVE Pre-Reserve sign up sheet [link]
    Yesterday at 08:27:10 PM
  • Braves155: Evening gents
    Yesterday at 08:47:28 PM
  • Braves155: I love the challenge of rebuilding Franchises. Nice having 3 1sts and loads of cap in NFL LIVE to help
    Yesterday at 09:07:56 PM
  • Daddy: You need it. We make it easier than anyone to rebuild, compete, and contend. Ask BAB. You can go from zero to hero pretty quick.
    Yesterday at 09:10:53 PM
  • Daddy: @Braves youve signed up for the total LIVE experience. 4 sports 6 leagues... Let me know publicly if any experience is better than LIVE in any sport
    Yesterday at 09:12:09 PM
  • Daddy: Please... And thank you. The goal is to constantly improve.
    Yesterday at 09:13:13 PM
  • Daddy: 4 Sports 6 Leagues you will see it all.
    Yesterday at 09:14:13 PM
  • Braves155: Never say die. Never quit
    Yesterday at 09:14:23 PM
  • Braves155: Legends rise
    Yesterday at 09:14:50 PM
  • Daddy: Never be satisfied
    Yesterday at 09:15:06 PM
  • Daddy: You tell em @Braves!
    Yesterday at 09:15:45 PM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE [link]
    Yesterday at 09:19:41 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE [link]
    Yesterday at 09:20:13 PM
  • Daddy: MLB LIVE [link]
    Yesterday at 09:20:44 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE [link]
    Yesterday at 09:21:14 PM
  • Daddy: 128 NCAA teams [link] football & basketball.
    Yesterday at 09:24:01 PM
  • Daddy: We could do Midget Wrestling LIVE if we wanted too. Better than the WWE. Ask somebody or even better ..Find out for yourself.
    Yesterday at 09:27:53 PM
  • Braves155: UFC, Top Rank Boxing, let's go!
    Yesterday at 09:34:32 PM
  • DaveW: Premier League LIVE please
    Yesterday at 10:46:04 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: YNWA
    Yesterday at 10:50:18 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i would be down for that
    Yesterday at 10:50:28 PM
  • Daddy: Honestly, i do like soccer. Its very underrated.
    Yesterday at 10:51:50 PM
  • Daddy: Maybe 2026? We are a bit busy at the moment. :)
    Yesterday at 10:52:56 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: this sunday is gonna be the end of an era
    Yesterday at 10:53:40 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: for me as a Liverpool fan
    Yesterday at 10:53:47 PM
  • Daddy: I dig the idea Premier League LIVE (insert Eye emoji)
    Yesterday at 10:53:52 PM
  • Daddy: Public thanks to the Moderators & Moderators in training that make the LIVE experience possible. All of you are the best at what you do. Thanks!
    Yesterday at 11:06:06 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the night to talk any deals or dm me thoughts on Vegas names for NBA live. Have a list going
    Yesterday at 11:09:02 PM
  • Daddy: That Vegas name is significant. The NBA will move there eventually but we are the first ones ever to name a Franchise. We will always have that distinction.
    Yesterday at 11:12:25 PM
  • Daddy: Updated NBA LIVE sign up sheet [link] Its coming
    Today at 03:32:13 AM
  • Alpha5: Powerhouse Va
    Today at 07:05:37 AM
  • Alpha5: Powerhouse Baseball 2025
    Today at 07:05:47 AM
  • Alpha5: BIG announcement today. Stay tuned...
    Today at 07:06:15 AM
  • Alpha5: A PROFSL ReDraft league
    Today at 03:22:34 PM
  • Alpha5: 20 Teams
    Today at 03:22:44 PM
  • Alpha5: Cash prizes
    Today at 03:22:49 PM
  • Alpha5: LIVE Scoring system
    Today at 03:22:59 PM
  • Alpha5: Name your Team.
    Today at 03:23:47 PM
  • Alpha5: This is Powerhouse Baseball 2025