Author Topic: The Rookie Draft  (Read 4937 times)

Offline snugerud

• League Moderator
  • MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
  • I am the ghost of fantasy hockey past
    • :NE:
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
Re: The Rookie Draft
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 11:13:30 AM »
I'm not sure that will keep any more players in the draft.  I would guess that just as many players hit 40 in-season as will hit 80.  Of course we'll have a more clear indication if the player is the real deal, which will increase their draft stock, but it will also increase their FA value if they hit the threshold mid-season.

I would agree with you there however players hitting 80 would most likely have already been passed over in a draft.  At 40 games many of the players never make it to a draft. 

Just do a quick player search via Rookies on fantrax and I can pick at least a dozen players that have just started getting mins this year but will surpass their draft eligibility. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline Tubbs

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :SEA-NFL:
    • :MON-NHL:
    • :LIL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 11:57:06 AM »
Rob, you say it's not "entirely fair" and call it a wrinkle. So then why to try to fix or revamp...iron out the wrinkle? And Isn't the point of the league to create an experience (as a GM) that mimics the NHL?

Look, I am not expecting any changes based upon the fact that this is the way it has been done, and I am fine with that. I simply don't buy into the arguments in support.

My lap remains open.  :toast:

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rob

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 12:15:41 PM »
Rob, you say it's not "entirely fair" and call it a wrinkle. So then why to try to fix or revamp...iron out the wrinkle? And Isn't the point of the league to create an experience (as a GM) that mimics the NHL?

Look, I am not expecting any changes based upon the fact that this is the way it has been done, and I am fine with that. I simply don't buy into the arguments in support.

My lap remains open.  :toast:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not even arguing your points, you make perfect sense.  My only contention is that I LIKE that wrinkle.  And I like the effect it has on other aspects of the league.  The part I would argue is that the supplemental is better because of that wrinkle. 

But I'm not so stubborn that I would refuse change just because this is the way we've always done it.  We've changed a lot of rules over the years to make this a better league and if a majority of the league feels a change should be made, then I'm on board too.

Of course, this kind of change would have to happen after the next draft - so we're talking about changing effective for the 2018 draft if we do anything.  We have plenty of time to hash it out here and listen to everyone's thoughts.  Once people have time to consider and give input, and once the conversation dries up, I'll take all the opinions we've collected and go from there. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Anthony

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 10000
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Minnesota:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 01:00:10 PM »
I dont think it would change much.  I kind of like it since it minimizes the benefits to tanking.  I had a different thought which would be to increase the minors games played to 80 versus the current of 40. 

I think this would have some negative side effects with minors players on our rosters. It would take twice as long for their prospect contract clock to start, and some players could take 4 years before they hit 80 games. Plus a lot of good players could easily just miss 80 games and get an extra year on a prospect contract. McDavid is an example because he's still not at 80 games but is easily a top 10 player in the league right now and should be paid like one sooner rather than later.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Capn Cally

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 10
    • :VAN:
    • :VAN-MLS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 01:05:15 PM »
I like Snug's idea as an "option" if we were to implement change.
I think any ideas are good ones at this point and there isn't really a right or a wrong suggestion, since they're just that - suggestions.

Sure, players might hit that 80 game mark, but as I recall, doesn't FA close well before an NHL team's 80th game?

I can't remember who, but a goalie was at around 38 games last year before the FA deadline, so couldn't be bid on. But then because there was still season left, went over the 40 game mark and also couldn't be drafted in the Supp Draft and was available to everyone in FA in the summer. Maybe it was Domingue?

For what it's worth, it definitely makes drafting a lot more difficult as a lot more research has to be put in to find potential players who will make an impact.
Past players who might be doing well in their 20-year old year in Junior, or a college kid who is hitting his stride at 23-years old or an AHL guy that did well in the minors for the past year or two.
But even then, they're not sure things to make it, it's all still a crapshoot. Heck, I'm a Canucks fan and I never thought Troy Stetcher would be as good as he is, let alone make the team this year - Philip Larsen (RIP to his brain) was supposed to be the offensive gem for the Canucks this year. He's done squat.

But as Snug mentioned - there is going to be a bidding war in 12-15 games or so for players like Brandon Carlo and Nic Dowd in all likelihood. They'll most likely be overpaid which doesn't help weaker teams with cap space in the long run either though..
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rob

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 01:06:21 PM »

I can't remember who, but a goalie was at around 38 games last year before the FA deadline, so couldn't be bid on. But then because there was still season left, went over the 40 game mark and also couldn't be drafted in the Supp Draft and was available to everyone in FA in the summer. Maybe it was Domingue?

Yup, Domingue
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Capn Cally

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 01:15:21 PM »
I think this would have some negative side effects with minors players on our rosters. It would take twice as long for their prospect contract clock to start, and some players could take 4 years before they hit 80 games. Plus a lot of good players could easily just miss 80 games and get an extra year on a prospect contract. McDavid is an example because he's still not at 80 games but is easily a top 10 player in the league right now and should be paid like one sooner rather than later.

This is a good point...

He'll also get 30% the regular extension price on a 5-year contract, so McD isn't going anywhere.

I think there will be pros and cons to anything that comes up though. Either that or there will have to be accessory rules to have to be added, such as the prospect contract still starts when they've hit 40 games played.
So when you draft the player, he gets the rookie contract right away instead of the (n/a) one (but in that case, after 80 NHL games he'll 99% be sticking in the NHL full-time and he'll be plugged into the roster right away)
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rob

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 01:19:50 PM »
As far as alternatives go, I prefer protecting 1st round picks to the 80 game threshold, so far.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Capn Cally

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 01:33:55 PM »
As far as alternatives go, I prefer protecting 1st round picks to the 80 game threshold, so far.

I know it's my idea, but I do like it.

Not only does it allow for the weaker teams to draft a good prospect via draft, it also ensures every team gets a 1st round NHL draft pick and we don't have to worry about our teams trading away draft picks.

It should also stimulate more trading activity, since 1st and 2nd round draft picks will become much more valuable.
Especially closer to the trade deadline where teams will know if they are buying or rebuilding.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Anthony

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 10000
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Minnesota:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 01:39:30 PM »
I know it's my idea, but I do like it.

Not only does it allow for the weaker teams to draft a good prospect via draft, it also ensures every team gets a 1st round NHL draft pick and we don't have to worry about our teams trading away draft picks.

It should also stimulate more trading activity, since 1st and 2nd round draft picks will become much more valuable.
Especially closer to the trade deadline where teams will know if they are buying or rebuilding.

If we do protect first round draft choices, we would have to do it in a few years or offer some sort of compensation to teams like me who have handed out my first rounders like candy for the next.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • dbreer23: Cubs are dealing in FGM, hit me up
    May 19, 2024, 12:59:38 PM
  • Braves155: Looking for an OF in FGM. IN Armchair looking to re-tool/rebuild a bit. Snell and others could be avail
    May 19, 2024, 01:09:11 PM
  • Braves155: PM Davew
    May 19, 2024, 01:23:10 PM
  • dbreer23: Brian CLE PM
    May 19, 2024, 01:49:57 PM
  • Braves155: PM BAB
    May 19, 2024, 03:29:20 PM
  • indiansnation: Bayareaballers pm trade posted in fgm
    May 19, 2024, 03:56:17 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves ill send u message soon
    May 19, 2024, 03:56:32 PM
  • indiansnation: Dbreer23 pm
    May 19, 2024, 03:58:46 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    May 19, 2024, 04:35:11 PM
  • indiansnation: Watching boston kick the living crap out of cardinals
    May 19, 2024, 04:53:49 PM
  • Braves155: Great seeing the Knicks get schooled
    May 19, 2024, 06:37:35 PM
  • Rhino7: I agree, pacers will be a better match vs Celtics
    May 19, 2024, 07:02:21 PM
  • Braves155: But just like anytime Stephen A. gets hyped for the Knicks, they disappear in big games
    May 19, 2024, 07:08:00 PM
  • TheGOAT: Celtics would probably win it all
    May 19, 2024, 07:20:01 PM
  • Braves155: Looking forward to TWolves-Nuggets tonight
    May 19, 2024, 07:22:40 PM
  • TheGOAT: Around for trade talks in NFL Live
    May 19, 2024, 08:07:18 PM
  • Braves155: Likewise
    May 19, 2024, 08:22:40 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: What you looking for? @Thegoat?
    May 19, 2024, 11:01:43 PM
  • Rhino7: Down goes the Champs! Nuggs out
    May 19, 2024, 11:56:44 PM
  • Daddy: That Minnesota NBA LIVE team aint lookin too bad right now. Should be fun!
    Yesterday at 12:00:46 AM
  • Rhino7: Good team except the contracts
    Yesterday at 03:09:09 PM
  • Daddy: Youve seen them? We havent completely structured all that yet. Weve got expansion and other factors that the real Wolves dont face.
    Yesterday at 03:39:40 PM
  • Daddy: My comment on the real Wolves are if they win a chip then there is no such things as bad contracts. The point of all contracts are to win Championships.
    Yesterday at 03:40:57 PM
  • STLBlues91: I will be around the rest of the day to talk deals. Tomorrow I will be around after work but plan on being in some spreadsheets most the day
    Yesterday at 05:04:22 PM
  • Rhino7: No, haven’t seen them except on spotrac
    Yesterday at 05:33:13 PM
  • Daddy: @Rhino7 the rumor is they've got a decent GM in both leagues. Especially NBA LIVE. (Howwwwwwwl)
    Yesterday at 07:13:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Well Vegas is ready to grab one of the players on the roster
    Yesterday at 07:17:34 PM
  • Daddy: Lol, Seattle too Im sure.:rofl:
    Yesterday at 07:43:10 PM
  • Daddy: I will leak this... Each team will be allowed to protect 5 and each team can only lose one player to expansion
    Yesterday at 07:44:21 PM
  • Daddy: 30 teams to draw from = 15 players each
    Yesterday at 07:44:57 PM
  • STLBlues91: Id also imagine trading and all that can happen. Like pick a guy to trade to another team to pick up other assets
    Yesterday at 07:45:25 PM
  • Daddy: You know LIVE rules. Once they are yours you can do whatever you like.
    Yesterday at 07:46:32 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah had to just check. So a deadline to select the keepers. Then a few days for the selection. Me and Seattle alternate picks?
    Yesterday at 07:47:47 PM
  • Daddy: The expansion draft is LIVE alternating picks until both teams have 15 players like the NBA All Star teams get picked.
    Yesterday at 07:48:04 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: oh Crap
    Yesterday at 07:49:27 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: this is interesting w my team
    Yesterday at 07:49:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: who to protect outside the obvious
    Yesterday at 07:49:52 PM
  • STLBlues91: Sounds good I didnt know if it would be like the NHL expansion with seattle where they get posted or live broadcasting
    Yesterday at 07:50:02 PM
  • Daddy: The "Expansion draft" will be a LIVE Event & followed by the Entry Draft where Vegas/Seattle also will start off with picks #1 & #2.
    Yesterday at 07:50:06 PM
  • Daddy: We doing BIG Crap with this basketball league. Buckle up!
    Yesterday at 07:50:46 PM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE is codenamed "The "Matrix" for all the numbers we running. Its currently being built.
    Yesterday at 07:52:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Well I will get my roster breakdown before the live expansion since I am done working for the summer next Wednesday
    Yesterday at 08:01:38 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE will drop first. Hockey guys trade like crazy. Good luck. :)
    Yesterday at 08:12:04 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah working on that spreadsheet and a few fixes on it. May do some slight visual adds and then to NCAA football sheet which I got going as well
    Yesterday at 08:48:21 PM
  • Daddy: :toth: the best moderator team on the planet. Thanks! :toth:
    Yesterday at 09:14:11 PM
  • Daddy: Can you imagine a league(s).  Where EVERY player that becomes a professional has value.. and 30-32 teams have 30-32 different people are actively determining that value?
    Today at 01:46:50 AM
  • Daddy: Where you dont wait for trades to happen on scoring sites or SS updates and the only thing asked of you is to run your own franchise and see how good you are. On an EVEN playing field.
    Today at 01:48:59 AM
  • Daddy: Its already near impossible to get into NFL LIVE. We had to start up a 64 team league just to accommodate the waiting list. True Story.
    Today at 01:55:29 AM
  • Daddy: Once full. NBA, NHL, & NCAAs will be very difficult to get into. People dont just walk away from LIVE often and when they do... They usually want back in. Legit dont miss your team in your sports. Get them while you can.
    Today at 02:00:44 AM
  • IndianaBuc: RyanJames5 PM
    Today at 09:13:54 AM