Author Topic: Mets/Twins Trade  (Read 1983 times)

Lindner

Re: Mets/Twins Trade
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 03:09:34 PM »
My understanding of the matter is that Minnesota is not attempting to may a big push in free agency.  They want to build this team through the farm system in the hopes of competing in about 2 seasons.  Therefore, they are willing to take bad contracts and max out their payroll in exchange for prospects that can pay dividends down the road.  The strategy makes sense because when they are willing to shoulder the additional salaries, the other teams are willing to give up more premium prospects.  Then, all of the contracts go away in a season or two and Minnesota is left with a minimum payroll and a stockpile of young talent bordering on Major League ready.

This is definitely why I did this deal. In 2-3 years, I'll have no bad contracts and a stockpile of high end talent.

Also, I think you guys are undervaluing Arcia.  He is the #3 prospect on my team.  He is projected to hit for big power.  

I think you are also undervaluing the salary dump. Think about what kind of free agent someone could sign for $16M/year.

Slowey actually has some upside, as well.  Slowey was a middle of the rotation guy on a Twins team that made the playoffs almost every year.  He had spurts where he was very good.  People seem to throw him under the bus because he was injured for one season.

It might make more sense for you guys if I line it up like this:

NY Gives:
B+ Pitching Prospect
B-  Pitching Prospect

MN Gives:
B  Outfield Prospect
$17.2M in 2012 Cap Relief
$16M in 2013 Cap Relief
A #4 Pitcher
A MI/OFer going into his second season that hasn't done much yet

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Daniel

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :LAL:
    • :LA:
    • :UCLA:
    • :LIV:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 03:13:11 PM »
Well, I recall one of my first trades in FGM being very similar to this one. I traded away Aaron Hill and his beautiful team friendly contract after his monstruous season along with Vernon Wells, Overbay, Downs and some low draft picks for Phil Coke, Sam Fuld and a couple of higher draft picks. It ended up being a brilliant deal. With the money I cleared from all those contracts I was able to sign many top FAs. Both Aaron Hill and Vernon Wells sucked the next year, Phil Coke became a starter and I was able to trade him away for good value and I used my extra picks to draft Sean Coyle and Derek Dietrich. My team went to the playoffs the following year and to the WS the year after. Aaron Hill has been in almost every team in the league afterwards and never fetching any real value in those trades.. At the moment it seemed like a steal for the other team, but if you look at the trade now, two years later, it was a steal in my favor.

My point is, you never know what will happen with these players. When you are trading prospects and cap room it is very difficult to weigh their value. Bay is a huge bust with a hideous contract, Carrasco is a terrible reliever and overpayed in my opinion and I would had placed him on waivers if I had not traded him *prefer the trade as there is no risk of a cap hit. Plouffe and Slowey are two players I like and even though they are not particularly valuable, they are useful. Depth is key in this league from what I take from the rules. Arcia is young and in development, but I have seen the kid play and he is for real. All the scouts seem to agree with me by the way, so if you only read stats and do not care about the intangibles, that is your way of managing, but not mine.

Harvey is indeed a very good prospect, who certainly projects as a #2 starter. But, Mets prospects have a tendency to be misused in real life and I would rather let someone else take that risk than take it myself. Remember Mejia and Martinez?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Franchise GM: Toronto Blue Jays

chicubs33

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 03:19:04 PM »
I'm not questioning why the Twins are doing this deal outside of the money, IMO they're getting the muh better deal...the explanations given at first dont make sense. I wont be voting for this trade...just my opinion.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lindner

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 01:14:09 AM »
That's alright.  Do some research on Arcia though.  The more you learn, the more you will realize that the gap between him and Harvey, value-wise, isn't as big as you probably think.

I also think you are underestimating value of the salary dump.  Think about what New York could do with the cash...
Would you be okay with the trade if it looked like this?:

P - Matt Harvey
OF - Jason Bay
P - D.J. Carrasco
P - Matthew Purke

for

SS - Jose Reyes
OF - Oswaldo Arcia
P - Kevin Slowey
MI/OF - Trevor Plouffe

The money saved on Bay is almost the same amount of cash Jose Reyes is getting paid by the Miami Marlins.

Jose Reyes signed for $17M/year
Jason Bay is on contract for $16M/year
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chicubs33

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 03:04:15 AM »
No further research necessary...my opinion wont change on the trade. And after all the complaining over the recent Cubs/Rays trade im curious to see how this one goes.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BrewCrew

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 01:30:53 PM »
I also think you are underestimating value of the salary dump.  Think about what New York could do with the cash...
Would you be okay with the trade if it looked like this?:

P - Matt Harvey
OF - Jason Bay
P - D.J. Carrasco
P - Matthew Purke

for

SS - Jose Reyes
OF - Oswaldo Arcia
P - Kevin Slowey
MI/OF - Trevor Plouffe

Exactly what I was saying, you need to look at how much cap it's opening up and what you can do with it.

I don't think I have yet, but I approve.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chicubs33

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 02:16:46 PM »
Jesus christ how many times do i have to say i get the cap relief part...im not 8yrs old, i understand. Go look at the Cubs/Marlins trade and how much salary i got rid of but i still got quality players back. The twins said they're rebuilding and then take on a huge contract, this trade is just all backwards to me.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lindner

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 03:16:47 PM »
Jesus christ how many times do i have to say i get the cap relief part...im not 8yrs old, i understand. Go look at the Cubs/Marlins trade and how much salary i got rid of but i still got quality players back. The twins said they're rebuilding and then take on a huge contract, this trade is just all backwards to me.

Settle down bro....

Besides, you were only getting $4.7M in relief while the Mets are getting get $16M/year.  That's a pretty big gap, in my opinion.

Also, if you read the prior posts, you would see why this trade isn't backwards for me.  Either way, I don't care if you don't approve the trade.  You're the only one at this point.

Thanks for your input though!  It makes for good conversation  :toast:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chicubs33

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 04:01:08 PM »
Where do you get $4.7M at? Looks to me like i saved over $30M plus got my future 1B and a solid SP back.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lindner

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 04:20:56 PM »
Woops.  I was looking at the Cubs/Rays trade.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Braves155: Responded indians
    May 19, 2024, 12:43:07 PM
  • dbreer23: Cubs are dealing in FGM, hit me up
    May 19, 2024, 12:59:38 PM
  • Braves155: Looking for an OF in FGM. IN Armchair looking to re-tool/rebuild a bit. Snell and others could be avail
    May 19, 2024, 01:09:11 PM
  • Braves155: PM Davew
    May 19, 2024, 01:23:10 PM
  • dbreer23: Brian CLE PM
    May 19, 2024, 01:49:57 PM
  • Braves155: PM BAB
    May 19, 2024, 03:29:20 PM
  • indiansnation: Bayareaballers pm trade posted in fgm
    May 19, 2024, 03:56:17 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves ill send u message soon
    May 19, 2024, 03:56:32 PM
  • indiansnation: Dbreer23 pm
    May 19, 2024, 03:58:46 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    May 19, 2024, 04:35:11 PM
  • indiansnation: Watching boston kick the living crap out of cardinals
    May 19, 2024, 04:53:49 PM
  • Braves155: Great seeing the Knicks get schooled
    May 19, 2024, 06:37:35 PM
  • Rhino7: I agree, pacers will be a better match vs Celtics
    May 19, 2024, 07:02:21 PM
  • Braves155: But just like anytime Stephen A. gets hyped for the Knicks, they disappear in big games
    May 19, 2024, 07:08:00 PM
  • TheGOAT: Celtics would probably win it all
    May 19, 2024, 07:20:01 PM
  • Braves155: Looking forward to TWolves-Nuggets tonight
    May 19, 2024, 07:22:40 PM
  • TheGOAT: Around for trade talks in NFL Live
    May 19, 2024, 08:07:18 PM
  • Braves155: Likewise
    May 19, 2024, 08:22:40 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: What you looking for? @Thegoat?
    May 19, 2024, 11:01:43 PM
  • Rhino7: Down goes the Champs! Nuggs out
    May 19, 2024, 11:56:44 PM
  • Daddy: That Minnesota NBA LIVE team aint lookin too bad right now. Should be fun!
    Yesterday at 12:00:46 AM
  • Rhino7: Good team except the contracts
    Yesterday at 03:09:09 PM
  • Daddy: Youve seen them? We havent completely structured all that yet. Weve got expansion and other factors that the real Wolves dont face.
    Yesterday at 03:39:40 PM
  • Daddy: My comment on the real Wolves are if they win a chip then there is no such things as bad contracts. The point of all contracts are to win Championships.
    Yesterday at 03:40:57 PM
  • STLBlues91: I will be around the rest of the day to talk deals. Tomorrow I will be around after work but plan on being in some spreadsheets most the day
    Yesterday at 05:04:22 PM
  • Rhino7: No, haven’t seen them except on spotrac
    Yesterday at 05:33:13 PM
  • Daddy: @Rhino7 the rumor is they've got a decent GM in both leagues. Especially NBA LIVE. (Howwwwwwwl)
    Yesterday at 07:13:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Well Vegas is ready to grab one of the players on the roster
    Yesterday at 07:17:34 PM
  • Daddy: Lol, Seattle too Im sure.:rofl:
    Yesterday at 07:43:10 PM
  • Daddy: I will leak this... Each team will be allowed to protect 5 and each team can only lose one player to expansion
    Yesterday at 07:44:21 PM
  • Daddy: 30 teams to draw from = 15 players each
    Yesterday at 07:44:57 PM
  • STLBlues91: Id also imagine trading and all that can happen. Like pick a guy to trade to another team to pick up other assets
    Yesterday at 07:45:25 PM
  • Daddy: You know LIVE rules. Once they are yours you can do whatever you like.
    Yesterday at 07:46:32 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah had to just check. So a deadline to select the keepers. Then a few days for the selection. Me and Seattle alternate picks?
    Yesterday at 07:47:47 PM
  • Daddy: The expansion draft is LIVE alternating picks until both teams have 15 players like the NBA All Star teams get picked.
    Yesterday at 07:48:04 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: oh Crap
    Yesterday at 07:49:27 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: this is interesting w my team
    Yesterday at 07:49:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: who to protect outside the obvious
    Yesterday at 07:49:52 PM
  • STLBlues91: Sounds good I didnt know if it would be like the NHL expansion with seattle where they get posted or live broadcasting
    Yesterday at 07:50:02 PM
  • Daddy: The "Expansion draft" will be a LIVE Event & followed by the Entry Draft where Vegas/Seattle also will start off with picks #1 & #2.
    Yesterday at 07:50:06 PM
  • Daddy: We doing BIG Crap with this basketball league. Buckle up!
    Yesterday at 07:50:46 PM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE is codenamed "The "Matrix" for all the numbers we running. Its currently being built.
    Yesterday at 07:52:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Well I will get my roster breakdown before the live expansion since I am done working for the summer next Wednesday
    Yesterday at 08:01:38 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE will drop first. Hockey guys trade like crazy. Good luck. :)
    Yesterday at 08:12:04 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah working on that spreadsheet and a few fixes on it. May do some slight visual adds and then to NCAA football sheet which I got going as well
    Yesterday at 08:48:21 PM
  • Daddy: :toth: the best moderator team on the planet. Thanks! :toth:
    Yesterday at 09:14:11 PM
  • Daddy: Can you imagine a league(s).  Where EVERY player that becomes a professional has value.. and 30-32 teams have 30-32 different people are actively determining that value?
    Today at 01:46:50 AM
  • Daddy: Where you dont wait for trades to happen on scoring sites or SS updates and the only thing asked of you is to run your own franchise and see how good you are. On an EVEN playing field.
    Today at 01:48:59 AM
  • Daddy: Its already near impossible to get into NFL LIVE. We had to start up a 64 team league just to accommodate the waiting list. True Story.
    Today at 01:55:29 AM
  • Daddy: Once full. NBA, NHL, & NCAAs will be very difficult to get into. People dont just walk away from LIVE often and when they do... They usually want back in. Legit dont miss your team in your sports. Get them while you can.
    Today at 02:00:44 AM