Author Topic: PROPOSED: 5 Rule Revision for Goalies  (Read 5609 times)

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
Re: PROPOSED: 5 Rule Revision for Goalies
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 01:12:46 PM »
If you were to do anything it would have to be set in stone and only be enforced after 2015-16 as many have signed goalies long long term due to the important of goalies in our league.

this is fantasy hky, rare to push changes out 2seasons, let alone 1wk in FNHL.

waiting 1 season is the longest anyone has ever waited to make a rule change in this league.

the goalie situation in FNHL is detrimental to the league's ability to survive. who want to linger in the bottom half of the league when they don't own a goalie or 4.

the initial league setup didn't foresee the hoarding issue, not the scarcity issue.

drew, you noticed it in Rebel and setup a league with a cap on the 2nd/backup goalie of max 2m salary. you also noticed the signup rate wasnt as strong as anticipated and trimmed the team count from 30-teams to 24 overnight. you did so to ensure competitive play.

same needs to happen in FNHL.

it's not going to win every GM over, but it will ensure this league is strong and has the ability to recruit strong GM's that want to stay + compete. isn't that the pt of these advanced Profsl leagues?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Florida Panthers ... link to team page

2023-24 FRANCHISE NHL PAYOUT TO CHAMPION ... :money: $530.00USD :money:
ONLY THE BEST OWNERS WANTED

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 01:41:56 PM »
I'm not a fan of changes.

fair enough... let's review your reasons.

Firstly, it acts as if managers cant be trusted to set their teams up.

ideally yes, in paid leagues - 95% yes. in leagues where there's been 100% background checks + true sign-up requirements (like Backyard NHL) - 90% yes. in a free league where entry wasn't all that stringent in the past, unfortunately no, not everyone can be counted on - 99% of present FNHL owners excluded.

Secondly, the goalies need to be worth more because there are less of them than the skaters, but goalies are arguably the most important.

agreed, but without enough goalies to go around a league that starts 2 goalies + with goalies out-scoring skaters X3, it's not realistic to continue playing that way over the long haul. the league was already in trouble after yr 1 from all the archived posts i read.

in month 2 of FNHL (Nov 2010), drew was already asking why 50% of the league was inactive. only 7 ppl replied to the check-in thread, and that included the commish, drew, tony, colby, corey, hf6k, bap28. yikes!

Third, two starting goalies requires a larger goalie pool and more research by the owner.  This isn't a bad thing.

i like that idea in principle, but the scarcity of goalies means ppl are only researching to find goalies to contribute 3-4 yrs out.

Q: who's even been in this league for 3yrs from the original sign-ups?
Q: how many times have the commissioners gone missing or suddenly resigned out of the blue, X2 in 2yrs. so assuming regular owners will commit for more than 1 yr when commissioner's haven't been able to commit is really asking a lot of ppl, no?!

asking new owners to take on a team without a goalie is futile, especially without a proper plan to level the playing field in FNHL.

Lastly, any attempt to price set by the administration will only create a maleficency in the market.  Also, what if multiple teams bid 10m?  What fair way is there to legislate this issue?

it's a tough call to have to make but a commissioner of league would not be doing their job if they don't address serious issues that impact competitive play and ability of a league to survive + thrive long-term. 

the current goalie issues in FNHL create a serious divide betw the "Haves" and the "Have NOTS." fewer than 40% of the teams in FNHL own a true starting goalie. as hockeyfreak47 pointed out, 1/3 don't even have an active NHL goalie.

yet goalies yield the highest points in the current scoring system?

and it's a free league where ppl come and go if they get fed up, too busy, bored or rebuilding, etc.

it's a formula for failure or at least setting up the league to wallow in survival mode constantly.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Drew

• Forum Administrator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 80
  • Forum Administrator
    • :TEN:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :EDM:
    • :Clemson:
    • :TOR:
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 11:39:33 PM »
The fairest way I believe would be to take all goalie out after 2012-13 season and have a re-draft with current salaries then. 2 round goalie draft (prospects excluded) then the fault would be on the GM to get a goalie that will contribute either now or in the future based on their team.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Drew's Bio & Trophy Case

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - "Wayne Gretzky"

Offline Anthony

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 10000
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Minnesota:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 04:56:50 PM »
I like the idea of starting 1 goalie, but I think that should be the only thing changed.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Drew

• Forum Administrator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 80
  • Forum Administrator
    • :TEN:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :EDM:
    • :Clemson:
    • :TOR:
    • View Profile
Re: Re: PROPOSED: 5 Rule Revision for Goalies
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 05:30:54 PM »
LOL this league is becoming comical.  Redraft the goalies?  Why not just start the league over, brand new?
Well it sounds like no matter what it said something is happening with goalies. I along with others who have goalies signed in the 8m plus range don't want that if we are only starting 1 goalie or reducing their impact.
And it was just a suggestion, no need to banter over it.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Drew's Bio & Trophy Case

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - "Wayne Gretzky"

Offline jmtrops

• Legend
    • :NE:
    • :TBL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 10:02:03 PM »
redraft the goalies is an interesting idea but I think you would have to let the teams keep their best goalie. the teams that dont keep one would draft first, worst record first and the players current contract stays with him.

What ever we do to fix this problem is going to create an issue for some team so this will be tricky to fix.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline snugerud

• MVP
  • I am the ghost of fantasy hockey past
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 10:22:48 PM »
Do it like a band-aid.  Joeshmoe - the current setup on goalies is what is comical.  its a growing pain but it needs to be done.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline Anthony

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 10000
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Minnesota:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
Re: Re: PROPOSED: 5 Rule Revision for Goalies
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 11:26:13 PM »
Well it sounds like no matter what it said something is happening with goalies. I along with others who have goalies signed in the 8m plus range don't want that if we are only starting 1 goalie or reducing their impact.
And it was just a suggestion, no need to banter over it.

Maybe reduce it to 1 starting goalie, and then a 50% reduction in salary on your backup goalie?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline snugerud

• MVP
  • I am the ghost of fantasy hockey past
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 09:30:20 AM »
My formal proposal.

Effective immediately - 1 active goalie on the roster. 
Reason- We are a league that pride ourselves on mimicking the NHL, what NHL team has two goalies in net at the same time.  NHL teams have to choose every night who they play is it Quick or Bernier.

Starting in 2013-2014 - Before free agency all teams have a one time option of dropping a goalie with no cap hit.  This gives teams that have grossly salary inflated goalies on their roster a chance to drop them without receiving a penalty, this counteracts the drop in goalie value.  Those teams would have a chance to re-sign them in FA at a lower cost and more in line with the future goalie values.

Alternate option: Teams all have the opportunity to extend their goaltenders with the new contract set to take effect immediately regardless of the number of years left on the contract.  It's basically a goalie reset without really removing anyone from teams rosters.  I am not as big on this option since it gives teams that bid ridiculous contracts on goalie to have their cake and eat it too. By making them drop them and bid on a open market seems to be the more fair root to everyone since the high priced goalies were acquired on the open market in the first place. 

Also starting in 2013 season a 10% reduction in goalie stats , with successive 10% reductions in the following 3 years.
Reason: This will bring the leagues top goalie points in line with the leagues top skaters points.  No one can tell me that Fleury is more important than Crosby or Malkin to his team, to mimic the NHL we need to bring goalie points to a more realistic value.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:53:55 AM by snugerud »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 11:20:06 AM »
redraft the goalies is an interesting idea but I think you would have to let the teams keep their best goalie. the teams that dont keep one would draft first, worst record first and the players current contract stays with him.

drew's redraft idea is an interesting option.
as with any option, there are pitfalls. jmtrops' suggestion on how to implement could work. there's the question of when to implement 2013 off-season? and how best to implement: in a re-draft not sure any team gets to keep a goalie which then causes an immediate devaluation of goalies for teams that own them.

What ever we do to fix this problem is going to create an issue for some team so this will be tricky to fix.

couldn't agree more with your comment there, jmtrops!
i think snugerud said it best, treat it like a band-aid removal ... make it quick!

like i said, hockeyfreak47 and i are not popular for making this proposal but in the long-run FNHL will be around and stronger for addressing the issue sooner than later.

personally, i'm here to have a good time and enjoy... "being liked" is secondary if a consideration at all. ;)
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

* FNHL Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Braves155: Responded indians
    May 19, 2024, 12:43:07 PM
  • dbreer23: Cubs are dealing in FGM, hit me up
    May 19, 2024, 12:59:38 PM
  • Braves155: Looking for an OF in FGM. IN Armchair looking to re-tool/rebuild a bit. Snell and others could be avail
    May 19, 2024, 01:09:11 PM
  • Braves155: PM Davew
    May 19, 2024, 01:23:10 PM
  • dbreer23: Brian CLE PM
    May 19, 2024, 01:49:57 PM
  • Braves155: PM BAB
    May 19, 2024, 03:29:20 PM
  • indiansnation: Bayareaballers pm trade posted in fgm
    May 19, 2024, 03:56:17 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves ill send u message soon
    May 19, 2024, 03:56:32 PM
  • indiansnation: Dbreer23 pm
    May 19, 2024, 03:58:46 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    May 19, 2024, 04:35:11 PM
  • indiansnation: Watching boston kick the living crap out of cardinals
    May 19, 2024, 04:53:49 PM
  • Braves155: Great seeing the Knicks get schooled
    May 19, 2024, 06:37:35 PM
  • Rhino7: I agree, pacers will be a better match vs Celtics
    May 19, 2024, 07:02:21 PM
  • Braves155: But just like anytime Stephen A. gets hyped for the Knicks, they disappear in big games
    May 19, 2024, 07:08:00 PM
  • TheGOAT: Celtics would probably win it all
    May 19, 2024, 07:20:01 PM
  • Braves155: Looking forward to TWolves-Nuggets tonight
    May 19, 2024, 07:22:40 PM
  • TheGOAT: Around for trade talks in NFL Live
    May 19, 2024, 08:07:18 PM
  • Braves155: Likewise
    May 19, 2024, 08:22:40 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: What you looking for? @Thegoat?
    May 19, 2024, 11:01:43 PM
  • Rhino7: Down goes the Champs! Nuggs out
    May 19, 2024, 11:56:44 PM
  • Daddy: That Minnesota NBA LIVE team aint lookin too bad right now. Should be fun!
    Yesterday at 12:00:46 AM
  • Rhino7: Good team except the contracts
    Yesterday at 03:09:09 PM
  • Daddy: Youve seen them? We havent completely structured all that yet. Weve got expansion and other factors that the real Wolves dont face.
    Yesterday at 03:39:40 PM
  • Daddy: My comment on the real Wolves are if they win a chip then there is no such things as bad contracts. The point of all contracts are to win Championships.
    Yesterday at 03:40:57 PM
  • STLBlues91: I will be around the rest of the day to talk deals. Tomorrow I will be around after work but plan on being in some spreadsheets most the day
    Yesterday at 05:04:22 PM
  • Rhino7: No, haven’t seen them except on spotrac
    Yesterday at 05:33:13 PM
  • Daddy: @Rhino7 the rumor is they've got a decent GM in both leagues. Especially NBA LIVE. (Howwwwwwwl)
    Yesterday at 07:13:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Well Vegas is ready to grab one of the players on the roster
    Yesterday at 07:17:34 PM
  • Daddy: Lol, Seattle too Im sure.:rofl:
    Yesterday at 07:43:10 PM
  • Daddy: I will leak this... Each team will be allowed to protect 5 and each team can only lose one player to expansion
    Yesterday at 07:44:21 PM
  • Daddy: 30 teams to draw from = 15 players each
    Yesterday at 07:44:57 PM
  • STLBlues91: Id also imagine trading and all that can happen. Like pick a guy to trade to another team to pick up other assets
    Yesterday at 07:45:25 PM
  • Daddy: You know LIVE rules. Once they are yours you can do whatever you like.
    Yesterday at 07:46:32 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah had to just check. So a deadline to select the keepers. Then a few days for the selection. Me and Seattle alternate picks?
    Yesterday at 07:47:47 PM
  • Daddy: The expansion draft is LIVE alternating picks until both teams have 15 players like the NBA All Star teams get picked.
    Yesterday at 07:48:04 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: oh Crap
    Yesterday at 07:49:27 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: this is interesting w my team
    Yesterday at 07:49:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: who to protect outside the obvious
    Yesterday at 07:49:52 PM
  • STLBlues91: Sounds good I didnt know if it would be like the NHL expansion with seattle where they get posted or live broadcasting
    Yesterday at 07:50:02 PM
  • Daddy: The "Expansion draft" will be a LIVE Event & followed by the Entry Draft where Vegas/Seattle also will start off with picks #1 & #2.
    Yesterday at 07:50:06 PM
  • Daddy: We doing BIG Crap with this basketball league. Buckle up!
    Yesterday at 07:50:46 PM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE is codenamed "The "Matrix" for all the numbers we running. Its currently being built.
    Yesterday at 07:52:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Well I will get my roster breakdown before the live expansion since I am done working for the summer next Wednesday
    Yesterday at 08:01:38 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE will drop first. Hockey guys trade like crazy. Good luck. :)
    Yesterday at 08:12:04 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah working on that spreadsheet and a few fixes on it. May do some slight visual adds and then to NCAA football sheet which I got going as well
    Yesterday at 08:48:21 PM
  • Daddy: :toth: the best moderator team on the planet. Thanks! :toth:
    Yesterday at 09:14:11 PM
  • Daddy: Can you imagine a league(s).  Where EVERY player that becomes a professional has value.. and 30-32 teams have 30-32 different people are actively determining that value?
    Today at 01:46:50 AM
  • Daddy: Where you dont wait for trades to happen on scoring sites or SS updates and the only thing asked of you is to run your own franchise and see how good you are. On an EVEN playing field.
    Today at 01:48:59 AM
  • Daddy: Its already near impossible to get into NFL LIVE. We had to start up a 64 team league just to accommodate the waiting list. True Story.
    Today at 01:55:29 AM
  • Daddy: Once full. NBA, NHL, & NCAAs will be very difficult to get into. People dont just walk away from LIVE often and when they do... They usually want back in. Legit dont miss your team in your sports. Get them while you can.
    Today at 02:00:44 AM