Author Topic: Amateur Draft  (Read 2060 times)

sdobelman21

Amateur Draft
« on: May 19, 2011, 02:54:28 AM »
What about the amateur draft. Will we just get the draftees that our team chooses, or will we have a separate draft ourselves?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline kenny

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 1
    • :Blank:
    • :Columbia:
    • View Profile
Re: Amateur Draft
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 05:28:02 AM »
Good point. I can lock in the rosters either this coming weekend (5/21) or the weekend afterwards (5/28) so it's before the MLB draft. Anybody that does get drafted this year does not automatically get inherited in this league. We would begin our draft on 8/20, after the signing deadline for this years draft picks by MLB teams. In future years, we would wait until the off-season, but since we don't have much else going on this year, we'll begin it on 8/20.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

sdobelman21

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:24:36 PM »
What about amateur draft order. Are we going to use the MLB selection order or since we haven't had a season yet to base an order on, are we going to randomize it. The reason I ask is because it could possibly have an effect on what teams we choose.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline kenny

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 1
    • :Columbia:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 10:30:16 PM »
I see the following options:

A) Same order as MLB (based on last season's record)

B) Random

C) Reverse order of organization selection

Personally, I'm leaning towards option C. That would somewhat offset the advantage the people who joined this league early have, even though this would be a minimal difference. Anybody else have any thoughts?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :ORL:
    • :TBL:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 11:57:01 PM »
I see the following options:

A) Same order as MLB (based on last season's record)

B) Random

C) Reverse order of organization selection

Personally, I'm leaning towards option C. That would somewhat offset the advantage the people who joined this league early have, even though this would be a minimal difference. Anybody else have any thoughts?

I think from a "fairness" standpoint, it'd be better to do random or same order as MLB.  From a "what's best for the league" I'd say it's C).  The people who signed up late are for the most part newbies.  Giving them early draft picks would make their teams more attractive should they jump ship and we need to find new owners.  That being said, I'm good with whatever the league decides....at least at this point  :bacon:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's not the deep water that drowns us...we die because we stop kicking.

jwendlandt86

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 07:45:23 PM »

As far as the amateur draft, I think that options B and C are the best ones. Of course it would be nice to use option C in order to gain a higher pick, but I'm honestly up for either one. Whatever the league decides will be fine with me
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mcmccullough

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 11:16:40 PM »
I tend to think Option A or C would be best. With A, owners know, when picking teams, what the order will be. That way that factors into their decision when choosing a team.

On the other hand, those with little say in their team choice could be compensated with Option C.  If owners want great teams early, then they will know they'll get a later pick.  By doing B, we may allow the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer. There's little incentive to choose the Mariners or Pirates if the random order has you picking 29th. So I say A or C, but I'm really okay with anything. I'm picking towards the end, and I'll take any challenge on, even if it means I get the M's and the 30th pick in the draft, ha.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Tarheels55

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 197
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :IND-NBA:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :NorthCarolina:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 10:19:47 PM »
Option A or C looks good to me.Option C for the good of the league or A for if you pick a bad team you get good rooks
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Sportsnut

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 1012
    • :Florida:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 05:07:48 PM »
I'm one of the late signing 'newbies', at least in this type league, but I can assure you all, I won't walk away from the challenge.

I pick 28th, so I'm coming into this for the long term, Lord willing!  I assume I'll be face with a team that will need a lot of building, and I'm looking forward to the task.

As for the question at hand, it just seems that the draft should be in reverse order of the selections, for fairness to the entire league.  So, if we're voting here, I go for C.

Dick
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

alevan

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 09:08:04 PM »
If its for the best of the league, Id say C. I have the 2nd pick in the selection order, and I dont think it would be fair if we did it randomly and I ended up with a high pick. I would then end up with a great team, and a great prospect. If we do it reverse of selection order, it gives the lower-picking teams a chance to become better.

With that being said, I think that in the following years, it should be based on the last seasons league finish. In this way, if you have a crappy season, you have a chance to make it up in the draft.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • STLBlues91: Yeah got to figure a solid name out for it
    Yesterday at 11:55:35 PM
  • Daddy: Had a few good suggestions. Just dont be corny.. this represents all of us.
    Yesterday at 11:57:03 PM
  • Daddy: We are the first to give Vegas a suggestion. Lets let it be a good one. Make them take notice.
    Yesterday at 11:57:48 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah will research it a bit
    Yesterday at 11:57:58 PM
  • Daddy: One of the NHL signup sheets has 68k views? Thats ridiculous. Where all these people at? We should have 20k leagues.
    Today at 12:00:38 AM
  • Rhino7: I used to use Las Vegas Vipers as a team name
    Today at 12:04:13 AM
  • Daddy: NHL & NCAA have 100k views on the bullpen. Nobody ever looked at that thing. There should be a few more new accounts no? I mean what they looking for. Its a sign up sheet.
    Today at 12:04:17 AM
  • Daddy: Vipers works for me if it does you. Kinda goes with the logo i gave them.
    Today at 12:05:04 AM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah writing down the names sent out and adding a few I find/think of like Las Vegas Legacy and then will narrow them down
    Today at 12:06:47 AM
  • RyanJames5: Can I take the Sonics?
    Today at 12:07:14 AM
  • Brent: Vipers is cool.
    Today at 12:08:08 AM
  • Daddy: Yes sir
    Today at 12:08:19 AM
  • Daddy: I will tentatively put the Vipers until we launch fantrax
    Today at 12:08:59 AM
  • RyanJames5: Very fun idea to expand.
    Today at 12:09:36 AM
  • Daddy: Indeed sir, indeed. What College RJ?
    Today at 12:10:11 AM
  • RyanJames5: Gonzaga
    Today at 12:13:00 AM
  • Daddy: Roger that Zags
    Today at 12:14:13 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: im excited for this a properly run nba dynasty from scratch
    Today at 12:15:51 AM
  • RyanJames5: Thank you sir
    Today at 12:15:59 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: this is my first LIVE that i sstarted from beginning and didnt take over
    Today at 12:16:16 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: NHL and NBA excited to start those from scratch
    Today at 12:16:59 AM
  • Daddy: All the leagues are well run, we just have different ideas.
    Today at 12:17:35 AM
  • Daddy: There is nothing like virgin teams that nobody else has been into. You get to inherit todays rosters. Then take them into the future.
    Today at 12:18:36 AM
  • Daddy: Usually taking over a team is inheriting someones mess which is why it was open. In startup leagues that isnt an issue.
    Today at 12:19:25 AM
  • Daddy: I forgot to text Brian. :doh:
    Today at 12:21:02 AM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE Pre-Reserve sign up sheet [link] updated!
    Today at 02:31:32 AM
  • Daddy: I grew up watching The Rainman & The Glove. Welcome back to the NBA Seattle Supersonics. Ive missed ya.
    Today at 12:37:30 PM
  • OUDAN: Frick em, They are much better off in OKC
    Today at 12:54:01 PM
  • Daddy: Thats cold :rofl:
    Today at 01:03:25 PM
  • Daddy: I should have known you jumped off the Lakers and on to the home state squad. We havent talked basketball much here like the old days.
    Today at 01:08:21 PM
  • Daddy: When Philly drafted Embiid that year we had LOR (Lord of the Rings) and we talked much hoops.
    Today at 01:10:18 PM
  • OUDAN: I refused before because of KD but this squad you cant help but love the way they play
    Today at 01:17:16 PM
  • OUDAN: Also I swear I enjoy fantasy basketball more than any other.
    Today at 01:20:09 PM
  • Daddy: Well you are Oklahoma Dan. Makes sense for you to love OKC & OU. Fricking Boomer Sooner!!!
    Today at 01:35:12 PM
  • OUDAN: Truth
    Today at 02:00:20 PM
  • Daddy: You are also top 5 in my All Time Greatest Fantasy GM ranking. We go back 14 years. If there is a Mount Rushmore for dynasty GMs. You Qualify.
    Today at 02:05:44 PM
  • Daddy: Thats also Truth. Ive seen them all.
    Today at 02:06:08 PM
  • OUDAN: Appreciate that man, Crazy how long some of us have been around here.
    Today at 02:15:49 PM
  • OUDAN: Crazy how long some of us have been on here
    Today at 02:15:58 PM
  • Daddy: I was hooked right away. Day 1 Scouting Department Baseball Milwaukee Brewers. Its like i was bit by a Vampire.
    Today at 02:26:34 PM
  • OUDAN: I miss when I cared enough about baseball to put the time in lol
    Today at 02:29:23 PM
  • Daddy: Fourteen years of learning. Ive seen leagues and sites fail and shutdown. Ive watched all the sites. All the leagues. People love to play for a buck.
    Today at 02:33:42 PM
  • OUDAN: I for sure prefer money leagues but yeah a lot have failed
    Today at 02:36:12 PM
  • Daddy: Nobody offered what i wanted. Just parts of it. Nobody did it completely right. They copied flawed concepts and theyve failed. 95% of all dynasty leagues fail.
    Today at 02:36:15 PM
  • Rhino7: OUDAN if you want OKC let me know, I’ll take a diff team. I’d like to compete against you more
    Today at 03:12:12 PM
  • OUDAN: Im in if thats an option
    Today at 04:00:45 PM
  • Rhino7: I’ll take Orlando if it’s not an issue
    Today at 04:08:55 PM
  • OUDAN: That would have been my 2nd choice
    Today at 04:15:52 PM
  • OUDAN: Thanks man for that swap
    Today at 04:16:52 PM
  • Daddy: I will make it so
    Today at 05:00:42 PM