Author Topic: Rules Committee Request  (Read 663 times)

Offline papps

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 9
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :PHI-NBA:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PHI:
    • View Profile
Rules Committee Request
« on: May 15, 2012, 11:56:22 AM »
I know I have seen some different opinions on this rule:

Trading Recently Signed Free Agents
Free Agent signings cannot be traded until 60 days after they have signed.  This date will be shown per each player in the official rosters section.  In addition to our 60-day NTC rule, any players signed to extensions as well as FA contracts in the offseason cannot be traded until June 1st the following year.

I agree that there should be a 60 day rule but I am not in favor waiting until June 1st.  Now we have a few seasons under our belt to see how the rules impact the league I was wondering if the rules committee could take a look at this again and vote on if we want to keep the June 1st rule in the league.  Thanks for taking this request into consideration.  :toth:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 - 2021 NFL Live Champion :TB-NFL:
🏆 - 2020 Bush League Champion :PHI:
🏆 - 2018 Franchise GM Champion :PHI:
🏆 - 2018 The League Champion :PIT-NFL:
🏆 - 2016 Moneyball II Champion :BOS:
🏆 - 2010 Agents vs GMs Champion :PHI:

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rules Committee Request
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 02:02:24 PM »
I got no problem with using just the 60 days rule, but I think DW does. Let's talk it out here. I think 60 days is plenty of time to deter teams from trading players that were signed in the offseason.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 04:20:15 PM »
I do not...As was the case with Moneyball, some pretty horrible contracts were handed out because of ebay-esque bidding. Since those contracts became unfavorable to the team that won said player, those players were later moved before the start of the season. Now if those teams had not jumped in on the bidding, or didn't like the eventual asking price then they should not have bid. It leads to market inefficiencies in the free agency.

The June 1 rule also holds true to players that are resigned at the end of a contract the season before. As has been stated in many a post now, we try to emulate the MLB as best we can, and MLB has a similar rule. I understand that it would help facilitate trading, but, there is such a thing as a gentleman's agreement. If a player is holding up a trade, then use a placeholder in his stead, then swap them out later. But that is also reliant on both GMs holding up their end of the bargain, which sometimes they do not.

This rule was discussed in detail several years back, and I am firmly against changing it. I hate to be a stickler about it, but I think it is for the best of the league, the integrity of FA, and overall competitiveness that we leave it as is.

As an example:
GM A has the high bid on Player A. GM B jumps in and wins Player A at the last minute. This all takes place during the first week of FA. GM B says, oh snikeys, this guy isn't worth that, and trades him for 8 cents on the dollar to GM C - who was also in the bidding but tapped out early on. Now GM A has a right to be mad because an overzealous GM (B) outbid him for a players services, and then moved him as soon as he could before the season started, and it didn't impact his scoring at all. GM C makes out because he prolly didn't give up too much, and prolly got some money with player A as well. GM B just downgraded his team because he got caught in the moment, lost his nerve after winning, and so on. He then takes his savings, and moves on to another FA, does the same thing. This also puts further stress on the TC, because what direction is GM B going in? The basis of all trade evaluations.

I realize this circumstance is a little unlikely, but it is still a possibility. In a league where we don't negotiate contracts as they do in MLB, it is left open to the free market bidding system that lasts for, what seems like, ever. Keeping the June 1 rule in at least makes a GM sit with their decision as games are going on, making it less likely they will totally lose it in the FA market. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 04:41:12 PM »
I do not...As was the case with Moneyball, some pretty horrible contracts were handed out because of ebay-esque bidding. Since those contracts became unfavorable to the team that won said player, those players were later moved before the start of the season. Now if those teams had not jumped in on the bidding, or didn't like the eventual asking price then they should not have bid. It leads to market inefficiencies in the free agency.

The June 1 rule also holds true to players that are resigned at the end of a contract the season before. As has been stated in many a post now, we try to emulate the MLB as best we can, and MLB has a similar rule. I understand that it would help facilitate trading, but, there is such a thing as a gentleman's agreement. If a player is holding up a trade, then use a placeholder in his stead, then swap them out later. But that is also reliant on both GMs holding up their end of the bargain, which sometimes they do not.

This rule was discussed in detail several years back, and I am firmly against changing it. I hate to be a stickler about it, but I think it is for the best of the league, the integrity of FA, and overall competitiveness that we leave it as is.

As an example:
GM A has the high bid on Player A. GM B jumps in and wins Player A at the last minute. This all takes place during the first week of FA. GM B says, oh snikeys, this guy isn't worth that, and trades him for 8 cents on the dollar to GM C - who was also in the bidding but tapped out early on. Now GM A has a right to be mad because an overzealous GM (B) outbid him for a players services, and then moved him as soon as he could before the season started, and it didn't impact his scoring at all. GM C makes out because he prolly didn't give up too much, and prolly got some money with player A as well. GM B just downgraded his team because he got caught in the moment, lost his nerve after winning, and so on. He then takes his savings, and moves on to another FA, does the same thing. This also puts further stress on the TC, because what direction is GM B going in? The basis of all trade evaluations.

I realize this circumstance is a little unlikely, but it is still a possibility. In a league where we don't negotiate contracts as they do in MLB, it is left open to the free market bidding system that lasts for, what seems like, ever. Keeping the June 1 rule in at least makes a GM sit with their decision as games are going on, making it less likely they will totally lose it in the FA market.

Wouldn't removing the June 1st rule actually reward GMs who saved cap space and then is able to acquire expensive players on the cheap?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 04:47:35 PM »
It still ends up devaluing the player, and the process of FA. Because they have money now they can take advantage of an overzealous GM. Since it is perceived that this GM is "stuck" with this contract, the other GMs in the league have leverage. If the GM had not bid and won said player, then the players value would still be on a level relative to his contract. So a GM that valued said player at 12 mil wouldn't be as motivated to trade said player. But a GM that went to 15 mil, decided that it was too high after the fact, and then dumps him for less than his value because of his bad contract, has just manipulated the free agency system.

IMO I think anyone who gets won (prospects included) shouldn't be able to be dropped until after 30 days. That is for the very same reason.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Logan Allen is on the Dirty Birds :doh:
    Yesterday at 04:11:40 PM
  • indiansnation: Cubs Have Reportedly “Privately Discussed” Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Trade
    Yesterday at 04:19:43 PM
  • indiansnation: Diamondbacks Designate Logan Allen For Assignment
    Yesterday at 04:20:32 PM
  • Daddy: Ive not had this much fun in a hockey league since... Well never. Im getting DMs from owners there thanking me and telling me all kinds of good things.
    Yesterday at 04:33:24 PM
  • Daddy: Let me thank yall. My happy meter has gone up since NHL LIVE began. Baseball & Football were always old hat. NHL LIVE is a blast.
    Yesterday at 04:34:47 PM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE Update: Expansion meant realignment. This has been done in fantrax but wont be revealed to you until you see fantrax.
    Yesterday at 04:59:35 PM
  • Daddy: We hope you like the format and we encourage someone from the NBA to take a peek.
    Yesterday at 05:01:29 PM
  • Daddy: We done did good :rofl:
    Yesterday at 05:02:16 PM
  • Daddy: When i link GMs early (NCAA/NHL) you guys slow us down with questions. Not realizing you are witnessing the magic of the league construction.
    Yesterday at 05:07:05 PM
  • Daddy: But i cant help myself. Im a sharing person. :)
    Yesterday at 05:07:42 PM
  • Daddy: Most people have never "seen" a league being created. Its pretty cool.
    Yesterday at 05:08:59 PM
  • Daddy: If you have pre reserved an NBA LIVE franchise. Check your fantrax at some point today.
    Yesterday at 05:57:39 PM
  • Daddy: The magic has begun..Its the babiest of stages fellas. We are just breaking ground.
    Yesterday at 05:58:59 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA is next, then NBA, then NCAA Hoops.
    Yesterday at 05:59:57 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA is gigantic. Ive never worked on or been a part of anything that big. Its a good practice run for NCAA Hoops. 64 teams with that many players. That was a lot of clicks.
    Yesterday at 07:33:01 PM
  • Braves155: Think of all the traffic and site views it will generate
    Yesterday at 07:36:15 PM
  • Daddy: Braves its going to be wild. There will be a point where we will have simultaneous season's happening. It always been just one at a time.
    Yesterday at 07:44:01 PM
  • Daddy: 11 NBA LIVE teams remain. 3 NHL LIVE teams remain. Before "Wait-list".
    Yesterday at 07:53:26 PM
  • indiansnation: Indians mlb live willing to move all prospects to improve my team
    Yesterday at 08:37:34 PM
  • Daddy: Somebody must've used your booty as a pedicure
    Yesterday at 09:03:43 PM
  • Daddy: Oakland kicked my ass. Damn u @STLBlues91. I will see u soon.
    Yesterday at 09:15:06 PM
  • Daddy: This guy :doh: where'd that come from. :rofl:
    Yesterday at 09:16:07 PM
  • STLBlues91: Some trades boosted me up. Cant go wrong with Tatis/Witt and some solid bullpen pieces
    Yesterday at 09:17:36 PM
  • Daddy: @jmntl82 no doubt. He has come into leagues gang busting :rofl: great job!
    Yesterday at 09:20:45 PM
  • Daddy: I knew something was up when i saw "Indiansnation: CLE in MLB LIVE will trade anything. Just help. You can have it all."
    Yesterday at 09:25:23 PM
  • indiansnation: Jmntl82 back at u pm
    Yesterday at 09:52:34 PM
  • jmntl82: Indiansnation pm back
    Yesterday at 10:18:52 PM
  • jmntl82: Reds heard prospects were on the table and couldn’t not get involved
    Yesterday at 10:21:04 PM
  • indiansnation: Jmntl82 pm
    Yesterday at 10:46:55 PM
  • indiansnation: Jimw pm
    Yesterday at 10:52:27 PM
  • jmntl82: indiansnation, let me know and I’ll post this monster
    Yesterday at 10:54:13 PM
  • indiansnation: Post it
    Yesterday at 10:58:07 PM
  • indiansnation: 2 trades mlb live and im still looking to trade
    Yesterday at 11:20:17 PM
  • STLBlues91: Im going to be around most of the night for any talks
    Yesterday at 11:31:46 PM
  • Daddy: If you want one. There is always a deal to be found. Weve got 3 sports of LIVE & others.
    Yesterday at 11:47:59 PM
  • Daddy: Anybody excited for basketball? :rofl:
    Today at 12:24:39 AM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah wish the expansion draft was closer than it it
    Today at 12:28:57 AM
  • Daddy: We are building it (Sounds of big trucks & Cranes/heavy equipment)
    Today at 11:41:46 AM
  • ldsjayhawk: Looking for a new :NYM: GM in FGM [link]
    Today at 11:57:34 AM
  • Daddy: At work?        Look your boss right in the eye and tell them you aint doing Crap until you make today's trade.
    Today at 12:03:09 PM
  • Daddy: That exact quote got me promoted. Now, Im the boss.
    Today at 12:06:27 PM
  • Daddy: I used to be Mt_Crushmore's boss for those that think im not authentic. I would tell him at work.. dont talk to me about work. Tell me about the Steelers. ;)
    Today at 12:08:55 PM
  • Daddy: I work. To support my Dynasty habits.
    Today at 12:10:03 PM
  • Daddy: Sell Drugs? Are you a pimp?.. tell them no product till i make today's trade. What kind of operation they think you running?
    Today at 12:18:57 PM
  • Daddy: Operation scheduled for today? No sir! Tell them not to bypass Crap. Until you make today's trade.
    Today at 12:21:35 PM
  • Daddy: Priorities Man. If you aren't dominating your competition, all other things take a back seat. Life needs balance. A foot needs an ass and an ass needs your foot.
    Today at 12:26:44 PM
  • indiansnation: Here is the nhl cap for the up and coming seasonNHL Announces Salary Cap For 2024-25 Season June 8th, 2024 at 4:50pm CST • By Gabriel Foley The NHL and NHLPA have announced the Team Payroll Range for the 2024-25 season. The salary cap upper limit has been set at $88MM, with a midpoint of $76.5MM and a lower limit of $65.0MM. This marks a $4.5MM increase in the upper limit for the 2023-24 season – tied for the highest single-season increase of all time – and a $6.5MM increase from the cap in 2019 and 2020. The upper limit also exceeds CapFriendly’s projected upper limit of $87.7MM
    Today at 01:45:46 PM
  • Daddy: I want to kick you in your upper limit.
    Today at 01:57:39 PM
  • jmntl82: :rofl:
    Today at 02:37:40 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy= blah blah blah blah. Starting to sound like my mother in law
    Today at 02:43:27 PM