Author Topic: AL East Winter Preview  (Read 801 times)

Dan Wood

AL East Winter Preview
« on: November 13, 2011, 08:45:18 PM »
Following up on the NL Central Review...It would help if some of you guys listed your depth charts

Yankees
Starting Line Up
C - Mike Napoli
CI - Prince Fielder
CI - Miguel Cabrera
MI - Rickie Weeks
MI - Howard Kendrik
OF - Matt Holliday
OF - Josh Reddick
OF - Michael Cuddyer
UT - Dayan Viciedo

Rotation
SP - King Felix
SP - CC
SP - Anibal Sanchez
SP - Phil Hughes
SP - Jeff Niemann

Analysis - What's parity? Coming in with a thunderous 220 million dollar payroll, the Yankees roll deep with a sick line up, and two Aces.
What Could Happen: This team could go undefeated, although it is not likely, it is still a possibility. They have an absurdly deep line up built on 2 of the premiere power hitters in the league, and have 2 top 5 aces.
What Needs To Happen: Nothing really. They aren't the deepest of teams meaning they will need production from Viciedo, Cuddyer, and Reddick. Napoli needs to maintain his 2011 self and both MIs, as well as Holliday, need to stay on the field.
What Will Happen: The Yanks should win the AL East, which is a rather difficult division, but they are not without faults. They have some very expensive injury concerns in their line-up, and a top heavy roster.

Blue Jays

C - VMart
CI - Travis Hafner/Jesus Guzman
CI - Larry Jones/ Brett Wallace
MI - Ruben Tejada
MI - Brian Roberts
OF - Abreu
OF - Mike Morse
OF - John Jay
UT - Reimold/ Extra CIs

Rotation
SP - Tim Hudson
SP - Erik Bedard
SP - Jeff Francis
SP - Chen Ming Wang
SP - Aaron Harang
SP - Javiar Vazquez/Josh Tomlin/Chris Narveson

Analysis - GM Daniel took the Jays to the series last year, surprising many fellow FGM members. Daniel always manages to find value in places that most of us miss.
What Could Happen: The Jays are the Cardinals of the AL. A very solid, very deep team, that just gets it done. Daniel could compete for another title again, or age and regression could finally catch up to his team.
What Team Needs To Happen: Chipper, Pronk, VMart, Abreu, and Brian Roberts need to fight off father time for yet another season. John Jay, Jesus Guzman, and Mike Morse need to prove that 2011 wasn't a fluke because no one saw that kind of production coming from those guys.
What Will Happen: The Jays will be a solid team once again but for how long is the question. The minors are a little thin, and the regulars are getting a bit long in the tooth.

Red Sox

Starting Line Up
C - Miguel Montero
CI - Daniel Murphy
CI - Aubrey Huff
MI - Dustin Ackley
MI - Yunel Escobar
OF - David DeJesus
OF - Dexter Fowler
OF -
UT - Mark Ellis

Rotation
SP - Gavin Floyd
SP - Luke Hochevar
SP - Brandon Beachy
SP - Cory Luebke
SP - Edwin Jackson
SP - Vance Worley

Analysis - The Sawx had a mildly successful season that petered out towards the end due to a lack of bats. They currently have a nice crop of young affordable pitchers but could really use a bell cow(looking at you Mike B) in the line up, like they had with MCab who is now playing for their division rival.
What Could Happen: With the proper money spent in free agency the Sox could be very successful. As the roster currently stands they cannot compete in their division.
What Needs To Happen: Without the addition of a big bat or two through free agency, Jeff will need to get creative. 2010 Aubrey Huff needs to play, Daniel Murphy needs to start in real life, David DeJesus needs to get his swing back. Ackley and Fowler will need to repeat their back half of 2011 stats.
What Will Happen: The Sawx will be a moderately successful team, finishing somewhere 3rd or 4th in the division with about a .500 record. However Jeff has shown in the past to never count him out.

Devil Rays

Starting Line Up
C - Buster Posey
CI - Brett Lawrie
CI - Evan Longoria
MI - Johnny G
MI - S.Rod
OF - Ichiro
OF - Matt Joyce
OF - Trayvon Robinson/ Ryan Ludwick
UT - Lavarnway

Rotation
SP - Matt Moore
SP - Bud Norris
SP - Joe Saunders
SP - Wade Davis
SP - Jacob Turner/Jarrod Parker (sometime in 2012)

Analysis: The Rays had a disappointing season in 2010. The roster received almost a complete overhaul.
What Could Happen: With the Longo/Lawrie/Posey trifecta anything can happen. Add to that the corpse of Ichiro, and the man with Jesus's left arm, Matt Moore, you cannot count Tampa Bay out.
What Need To Happen: A lot. The above mentioned trifecta is enough to get most GMs jealous, but outside of that this is a team in waiting. Come 2013 it will be a different story once the pitching arrives, and Lavarnway, Trayvon, Lawrie, and Johnny G. work out the kinks of being new to the league.
What Will Happen: The Rays will finish either just ahead or just behind the Red Sox, but the future is mighty bright.

Orioles
I would like to preface this next team with a bit of explanation. Shooter took over a crap team and loaded it with prospects with high ceilings, and pretty much had no one garnering points in 2011. He now has two very good pieces in Ells and AsCab, but lacks a lot after that. So I give you the 2014 Baltimore Orioles.
C - Austin Romine
CI - Mike Olt
CI - Miguel Sano
MI - AsCab
MI - ?
OF - Ellsbury
OF - Myers
OF - ?
UT - Rendon

SP - Chris Sale
SP - Shelby Miller
SP - Allan Webster
SP - Manny Banuelos
SP -

2012 is not going to pretty in Baltimore, but Shooter has done an excellent job assembling a team that will be competitive in the very near future if scouting reports are to be believed. I commend Shooter for staying the course, and I am very interested to see what he does in free agency with his available money.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:51:04 PM by Dan Wood »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline OUDAN

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :DAL:
    • :LAL:
    • :Blank:
    • :Oklahoma:
    • :NYY:
    • View Profile
Re: AL East Winter Preview
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 10:39:14 PM »
Great work Dan! A lot of fun to read and good to know someone else's opinion of your team. Sometimes u need an outside source thanks bud the yanks will do there best to prove u right!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"People don't know what it means to be champions, Oklahoma invented it."
-Barry "The King" Switzer

"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
-Coach Taylor

I hated every moment of training but I said, "Don't quit, Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a Champion."
-Mohammed Ali

:win: 2014 FGM Champ
:win: 2015 Moneyball Champ
:win: 2015 Bush League Champ

Offline MillerTime

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • View Profile
Re: AL East Winter Preview
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 09:49:33 AM »
Again, good read, thanks for covering these. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' - Homer Simpson

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Alpha5: Las Vegas Indians
    Today at 07:45:15 AM
  • Alpha5: Las Vegas Killer Clowns From Outer Space
    Today at 07:50:15 AM
  • Alpha5: The Las Vegas Members
    Today at 08:39:19 AM
  • Alpha5: Get it?
    Today at 08:39:29 AM
  • Braves155: Will be around today for any deal talks
    Today at 09:19:44 AM
  • Braves155: PM Jschwab
    Today at 11:44:42 AM
  • Braves155: PM Speedster
    Today at 11:49:23 AM
  • indiansnation: Pm speedster
    Today at 12:14:00 PM
  • Speedster18431: Guys I'm looking for top prospects and picks
    Today at 12:22:02 PM
  • Speedster18431: In MLB Live
    Today at 12:22:15 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: You took over the rays?
    Today at 12:37:23 PM
  • Speedster18431: Yes
    Today at 12:38:00 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: In that case pm from me speedster
    Today at 12:41:28 PM
  • Braves155: PM BAB
    Today at 12:46:37 PM
  • jmntl82: Pm speedster
    Today at 12:47:01 PM
  • Braves155: NHL LIVE - My squad only made 1 deal thus far. Who wants something?
    Today at 12:52:18 PM
  • janesvilleaces: Speedster mlb live pm..think I can meet your request
    Today at 01:13:28 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: pm braves
    Today at 01:34:56 PM
  • Braves155: Replied
    Today at 01:44:48 PM
  • STLBlues91: Im around the rest of the day for any trade talks
    Today at 01:45:29 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: replied as well
    Today at 01:48:13 PM
  • jmntl82: Speedster pm
    Today at 01:53:24 PM
  • Daddy: #Basketball Mood [link]
    Today at 01:55:56 PM
  • Braves155: Back BAB
    Today at 01:56:10 PM
  • Daddy: They dont want the smoke @Braves.
    Today at 02:00:41 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: bacl braves
    Today at 02:02:03 PM
  • Daddy: They like to come here from Europe with they fancy cash exchanges & trade committees. Pee on a few foreheads and roll out claiming championships. Tell us Steph Curry is a nobody. Then go back to Europe..Well i said enough. USA! USA!
    Today at 02:12:49 PM
  • Daddy: (Im JW & I approve this message)
    Today at 02:13:10 PM
  • Daddy: I was surprised Dallas beat Minnesota. Minnesota looked bad against them.
    Today at 02:21:46 PM
  • Daddy: Boston looks unbeatable
    Today at 02:22:14 PM
  • Daddy: As a 76ers fan this not only makes us angry, we can admit jealousy and pain... Everytime i see Jason Tatum im reminded he should be a 76er.
    Today at 02:23:28 PM
  • Daddy: We instead gave Boston an extra first rd pick to pass on Tatum and select Markelle Fultz.
    Today at 02:24:23 PM
  • Daddy: Immediately after being drafted Fultz forgot how to shoot a free throw. Took a year off for mental health, got traded to Orlando, and i believe he pumped my gas on my way to Disney.
    Today at 02:26:17 PM
  • Daddy: Tatum is. Well he is Jason Tatum. This basketball season im looking to exercise a lot of demons. . NBA LIVE gonna bring that fire. Question is who want da smoke?
    Today at 02:29:04 PM
  • Braves155: I can't wait for the the NBA LIVE season to kickoff. Yes...Trae Young will be available. AKA the Demon of New York.
    Today at 02:33:44 PM
  • Daddy: Markelle Fultz, Ben Simmons, Joel Embiids droopy eye.... Basketball God's i repent!!! Ive built a league in your image.
    Today at 02:36:20 PM
  • Braves155: Ben Simmons...has no FT and no range
    Today at 02:37:15 PM
  • Daddy: You tellm Braves!
    Today at 02:37:46 PM
  • Daddy: @STLBlues91 we need to make the doc public view. The Las Vegas Venom is born [link] (yall aint ready :) )
    Today at 02:54:39 PM
  • Daddy: Took Washington two years to come up with Commanders :rofl:
    Today at 02:55:57 PM
  • STLBlues91: [link] NBA Live .. Just worked on matching actual colors and logos. Still a work in progress
    Today at 03:00:30 PM
  • Daddy: Coming Soon to your fantrax.
    Today at 03:15:26 PM
  • Daddy: Like hockey much? [link] NHL LIVE sign up. This league has 3 openings.
    Today at 03:59:33 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE = 0 openings >> MLB LIVE = 0 openings
    Today at 04:01:14 PM
  • Daddy: Ask our hockey GMs if they are having fun & we haven't even dropped the puck yet.
    Today at 04:03:04 PM
  • jmntl82: When I finish reading this hockey magazine the Kings will take over the league
    Today at 04:17:38 PM
  • Daddy: Say man.... Isnt that better than scrolling TicTok? Why not feed the brain here rather than melt your braincells on that mess.
    Today at 04:46:38 PM
  • Daddy: I believe in your Kings
    Today at 04:47:28 PM
  • Daddy: Build a damn dynasty
    Today at 04:49:51 PM
  • STLBlues91: im around all day for any trade discussions.
    Today at 05:10:01 PM