Author Topic: A couple of questions  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of questions
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 09:58:03 AM »
FYI, you can buy out a contract.  Cap hits apply and then it can be wrapped up into one year with a 10% tax.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Green

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 12:52:58 PM »
FYI, you can buy out a contract.  Cap hits apply and then it can be wrapped up into one year with a 10% tax.

:)...I don't think I understand this rule at all and it is because I am not that smart but lets take the Dye situation. He is scheduled to make $11M...so 90% of that is $9.9M plus 10% tax on $11M is $1.1M and that gives me $11M cap hit and without the rights to the player in the event he comes back....I have got to be missing something...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lucas Lima #52

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 12:54:04 PM »
This is a good suggestion, my only concern would be if we get into a situation where teams are abusing the fact that they get a free pass if someone retires (see my comments above).  If we can ensure that the rule would not be abused, I'd have no problem with a rule that keeps teams from getting screwed by something out of their control (an unexpected early retirement).
Well... One idea I had... The franchise should pay at least half of the contract (front loaded) in the case of a player officialy retiring...

Like, if the player contract was 5 years at 10mil per year and the guy retire sometime during the contract, the franchise should pay at least 25mil... It would be 10mil in each of the first two years and then another 5mil on the 3rd year... If the guy retired after the 3rd year, there would be no hit, as the franhise would have already paid 30mil...

As we can't go over 5 years, I think this should have enough effect into FA bidding...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lucas Lima #52

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 01:01:46 PM »
:)...I don't think I understand this rule at all and it is because I am not that smart but lets take the Dye situation. He is scheduled to make $11M...so 90% of that is $9.9M plus 10% tax on $11M is $1.1M and that gives me $11M cap hit and without the rights to the player in the event he comes back....I have got to be missing something...
Green... Matter of fact, there is two ways of letting a player go... You can release the player or you can buy out a player...

Releasing a player, you'll have a cap hit in each year of the player contract, following a pre-determined percentage... In the case of Dye, if you release him before the trade deadline, you would have to pay 90% of his current salary this year... If you release after  the deadline, 75%...

Buying out a player contract you can choose how to divide the money during the years of contract... However, you have a bigger cap hit... In the case of Dye, you would have to pay 110% of his remaining contract... As there is only one year remaining, you would have to pay all of it during this year... But if it were more years, then you could ellect how to spread the money during those years...

Both ways are more detailed here: http://profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=32.0
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 05:06:59 PM »

The buyout only aids in a multi-year cut.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 08:18:40 PM »
The only suggestion I can make, in response to your comment Ben (re: Wagner etc) is if a player is signed after a certain age during OFA bidding - TS, he is yours for the life of the contract. Or we can have an out clause if the players career is ended by injury or unforeseen circumstances, outside of old age. In this case Kenji Johjima would be a good example.  Also in fairness, any inherited contracts should not be subject to any retirement speculation, since we didn't sign them, we just got stuck with them. If the guy officially retires, and it is a contract originated from July 09, then you should be allowed some leeway. IMO
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 10:25:51 PM »
The only suggestion I can make, in response to your comment Ben (re: Wagner etc) is if a player is signed after a certain age during OFA bidding - TS, he is yours for the life of the contract. Or we can have an out clause if the players career is ended by injury or unforeseen circumstances, outside of old age. In this case Kenji Johjima would be a good example.  Also in fairness, any inherited contracts should not be subject to any retirement speculation, since we didn't sign them, we just got stuck with them. If the guy officially retires, and it is a contract originated from July 09, then you should be allowed some leeway. IMO

I'm not sure - I understand the intent of 'since we didn't sign them', but we also didn't sign Vernon Wells to $18.0 (2014)... no offense to Well's current owner but I don't think we should offer an exceptions to shed his contract.  What if you inherit the contract from an inept FGM owner who dolled out an albatross contract to an overrated player?  IMO, we should treat all contracts equally (is a bad MLB GM really worse than a bad FGM GM?).

If we can come up with a rule that is fair and abuse proof, I'd support it.  If we can't accomplish both, I don't think it's so bad if owners are responsible for the risk of their team's contracts (regardless of who wrote them).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 11:50:11 PM »
In response to the injury comments, teams have insurance. Personally I think if the guy is no longer a member of the MLB, either by choice or by injury, then we shouldn't have to have money taken out of our budget. Real GMs, terrible or not, have million dollar insurance policies. The Mets paid 25% of Mo Vaughn's contract when he missed an entire year, insurance picked up the rest. I'm just saying, as much as we would like this league to be exactly like our MLB counterpart. It won't. Sometimes you have to simplify things and make them black and white. For instance players that no longer are on an MLB roster. Maybe that should be part of the TCs job, the RCs job, or the Commish's job. So as to avoid any abuse. Or maybe even having an age threshold for OFAs, so if someone signs someone over the age of 35 to a multi year deal, then they knew the inherent risk going in. I also think that the Mariners shouldn't be responsible for Johjima, because well their MLB counterpart is not. The guy left. He's in Japan. The Mariners (real life) don't pay him anymore. He opted out of his contract. It's that simple.

And you would only be able to abuse the retirement clause so much, because if you keep signing old farts your team is going to suck. I think we can all agree in a post PED MLB world, these guys decline at around 32, 33 or so. Just saying.   
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 09:26:10 AM »
FYI, the inept GM that gave the money out to Vernon Wells was not in Franchise GM, but in MLB.  Ricciardi, the assistant to Billy Beane in Oakland, either thought it was a great idea or ownership pressed it on him to do.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 12:58:16 PM »
Among other sweet deals for mediocre players (Alex Rios, BJ Ryan, AJ Burnett)...plus bad drafts that, until recently, never turned out a star or even usable players.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Today at 09:08:41 AM
  • TheGOAT: Are you posting jmntl?
    Today at 10:42:38 AM
  • TheGOAT: nevermind
    Today at 10:46:33 AM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Which 2025 1st is being moved? Im assuming Detroit original
    Today at 10:53:10 AM
  • TheGOAT: I believe it is the Detroit's original one
    Today at 11:05:54 AM
  • jmntl82: Yeah the original
    Today at 11:24:30 AM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Roger
    Today at 11:54:51 AM
  • Daddy: Welp... There goes my draft picks boyz. Hit me up next year. :)
    Today at 12:45:22 PM
  • jmntl82: Is there a trade addiction meeting somewhere I can sign up for?
    Today at 01:02:23 PM
  • jmntl82: It has been one hour ish since my last trade
    Today at 01:02:36 PM
  • Daddy: Looking at our recent transactions you too need therapy. The trade addiction pandemic is real.
    Today at 01:04:51 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Lmaoo I think I got the case of briantradeitis
    Today at 02:38:04 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: After what Ive been doing in NHL live
    Today at 02:38:18 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around all day. Will be on the SS later doing some matching but always around
    Today at 02:39:13 PM
  • Daddy: We havent hit the official start date but NHL LIVE is up and running, fully functional with 28 pre-signed owners. Weve got 4 open teams despite over 100,000+ views on just the bullpen sign up sheet.
    Today at 02:46:34 PM
  • Daddy: Once teams are gone, they are gone.
    Today at 02:47:29 PM
  • Daddy: Focus now goes to NCAA LIVE >> NBA LIVE >> NCAA Hoops LIVE
    Today at 02:48:24 PM
  • Daddy: Thats 160 teams in case you were wondering. Across 2 sports. Impossible? Just watch.
    Today at 02:49:56 PM
  • OUDAN: Soooooo ready for NCAA and NBA. Ive never been in an NCAA league that worked but I trust you
    Today at 03:00:41 PM
  • Daddy: And i will not let you down sir. On my everything i will not let you down. :toth:
    Today at 03:34:14 PM
  • Bigdon: Has nba live started yet
    Today at 04:45:48 PM
  • Daddy: You will see it in fantrax once it starts. We are at the "pre" signup stage. Just got the boards up.
    Today at 04:50:52 PM
  • Daddy: Setting up leagues from scratch takes a little time. Took a few months to get NHL set up correctly and operational.
    Today at 04:52:25 PM
  • Daddy: MLB & NFL were switch over leagues. They already had most of the structures in place. NHL is the first true LIVE league done from scratch.
    Today at 04:53:51 PM
  • STLBlues91: When do you need Vegas name for NBA Live?
    Today at 04:56:01 PM
  • Daddy: When i set up fantrax. Need the name and logo by then. Seattle was easy. Vegas we are on our own.
    Today at 04:58:58 PM
  • Daddy: So by July 1
    Today at 04:59:31 PM
  • Daddy: NBA is "easiest" of all of the leagues to set up and moderate.
    Today at 05:00:09 PM
  • Daddy: NHL watch a bitch. All those dudes. I know about guys playing hockey in Iceland now. Too much information.
    Today at 05:00:53 PM
  • Daddy: Was a bitch :rofl:
    Today at 05:01:10 PM
  • Daddy: I know about 16 year old hockey players now. It was a great learning experience. I thought i knew hockey.
    Today at 05:03:59 PM
  • Daddy: Huge NHL LIVE trade. The first BLOCKBUSTER
    Today at 05:59:00 PM
  • Daddy: Connor McDavid comes to Broad St. :)
    Today at 05:59:23 PM
  • Daddy: Lead us great Connor. Lead us to Dynasty Glory. :win: im counting on you eh.
    Today at 06:00:31 PM
  • Bigdon: Nba live i.have chicago that's awesome thanks
    Today at 06:02:13 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy its 5pm and the flyers still suck
    Today at 06:02:47 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah but my Flyers suck with Connor McDavid.
    Today at 06:04:15 PM
  • Daddy: Dont hate me cuz im beautiful.
    Today at 06:04:34 PM
  • Daddy: After a blockbuster trade, you know the feeling. I could get hit by thrown monkey poop right now and im still smiling while i eat a banana.
    Today at 06:06:48 PM
  • Daddy: Who you got? Isnt Sidney Crosby coaching team Canada in the upcoming Olympics?
    Today at 06:07:44 PM
  • Daddy: Ever seen Harlem Knights Brian? "" Dddddon't ttttake thththis Aaaaasssss whupin Ppppersonal" -Jack Jenkins
    Today at 06:12:51 PM
  • Daddy: [link] for you. :)
    Today at 06:14:34 PM
  • STLBlues91: @Daddy can you check the message I just sent. Quick question
    Today at 09:14:25 PM
  • Daddy: Replied
    Today at 09:48:39 PM
  • Daddy: If members do not mind, deleting old pms helps the site run smoother and keeps your pms organized.
    Today at 10:07:23 PM
  • Daddy: Nobody gets more pms than i do. I stay deleting and still have pages and pages of pms
    Today at 10:08:11 PM
  • Daddy: Its not required that you delete old news but its also not required you delete and spam emails. Same thing. Thanks!
    Today at 10:09:35 PM
  • Daddy: If anyone wants one of these premium Flyers prospects, send me more pms to eventually delete. NFL/MLB/NHL you're welcome. On to the next LIVE chapters.
    Today at 10:11:42 PM
  • STLBlues91: Thank you for the Prune message sections.
    Today at 10:20:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Yepp that was an easy axe of messages
    Today at 10:53:25 PM