Author Topic: Releasing Players Cap Hits  (Read 965 times)

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
Releasing Players Cap Hits
« on: August 06, 2011, 01:03:57 PM »
I have a salary cap question.  Do our rules for releasing players (75/50/25%) cover the gross or net amount of the contract?  By net, I mean if another team is paying for some of the contract.  See the example of the Mets/Yanks trade. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Corey

Re: Releasing Players Cap Hits
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 02:08:19 PM »
I have a salary cap question.  Do our rules for releasing players (75/50/25%) cover the gross or net amount of the contract?  By net, I mean if another team is paying for some of the contract.  See the example of the Mets/Yanks trade. 

judging by all other past moves it would be the total. So if the nats were to drop arod, the percentages would be of 27.5m
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 02:38:06 PM »
judging by all other past moves it would be the total. So if the nats were to drop arod, the percentages would be of 27.5m

What would happen if the Nats dropped him the last day of the season?  The cap hits would be

2011  21m
2012  14m
2013  7m

The Mets are supposed to be covering 20m per season through 2014?  Would that obligation just disappear if the Nats released A-Rod?  I'm not saying this is even remotely likely.  I just want us to be clear on the salary cap ramifications on these kind of long-term obligations.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Corey

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 02:45:07 PM »
What would happen if the Nats dropped him the last day of the season?  The cap hits would be

2011  21m
2012  14m
2013  7m

The Mets are supposed to be covering 20m per season through 2014?  Would that obligation just disappear if the Nats released A-Rod?  I'm not saying this is even remotely likely.  I just want us to be clear on the salary cap ramifications on these kind of long-term obligations.

I dont believe the Mets obligations disappears. We still pay. and the nats still pay the cap hit. so if it were real life Arod would be making bank lol. When i was the yankees. I was paying 10m on buehrle i believe. He was dropped by another team and that team was paying a cap hit of like 5m. Even tho I was paying 10 or maybe even 10.5. But that is why I think its that way.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 05:54:47 PM »
The amount owed still has to be covered. Dice K was released by me. He is owed $$$ this year and next, the Sawx are covering it. If the Yanks pay 20 mil towards Aroid and he is dropped by the Nats, any moneys owed by the Nats would take effect after the 20 mil the Mets are paying. Any number under 20 mil, the savings goes to the Mets.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Brewers GM

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 07:02:05 PM »
The amount owed still has to be covered. Dice K was released by me. He is owed $$$ this year and next, the Sawx are covering it. If the Yanks pay 20 mil towards Aroid and he is dropped by the Nats, any moneys owed by the Nats would take effect after the 20 mil the Mets are paying. Any number under 20 mil, the savings goes to the Mets.

The Mets are no longer paying ARod, they're paying the Nats - regardless of what happens between the Nats and ARod, the cash owed by the Mets to the Nats does not change.  At least that's my interpretation...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 08:49:56 PM »
The Mets are no longer paying ARod, they're paying the Nats - regardless of what happens between the Nats and ARod, the cash owed by the Mets to the Nats does not change.  At least that's my interpretation...

I thought we abolished cash only exchanges last year and said that cash must follow the player.  The only real life example I can think of also involves A-Rod.  When A-Rod opted out of the last 3 years of his Texas contract, the Rangers saved 21m over those 3 years.  In any case, the rules should state whether the cap hits are before or after cash that follows the player in a trade like this one.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Brewers GM

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 11:27:07 PM »
I thought we abolished cash only exchanges last year and said that cash must follow the player.  The only real life example I can think of also involves A-Rod.  When A-Rod opted out of the last 3 years of his Texas contract, the Rangers saved 21m over those 3 years.  In any case, the rules should state whether the cap hits are before or after cash that follows the player in a trade like this one.

We do have a rule that says cash can only be associated to a player and that it follows them in a trade - I'm not sure if that clarifies your question though.  As for the real life example ARod opted out of his contract and the Rangers saving money, that would contradict what I said - the Rangers did not owe the Yankees money, they owed ARod money for his contract (and no longer owed it when he opted out).  Is that always the case?

Personally I'm indifferent on how we rule here, just want to make sure we keep it as simple as possible...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Daniel

• MVP
    • :LAL:
    • :LA:
    • :UCLA:
    • :LIV:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 01:47:06 AM »
I do believe that the cash hit for the mets should disappear. I always thought that was in the rules. The money exchanged is attached to the contract and thus if the contract is ended the money attached disappears. In the arod case the nats would have to pay the 1m on the first year and the mets would save 6m and 13m the following two years.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Franchise GM: Toronto Blue Jays

Brewers GM

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 08:12:17 PM »
Fair enough...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: Bayareaballers pm
    Today at 01:15:00 AM
  • Daddy: I call it Bruce
    Today at 01:15:15 AM
  • Daddy: Im gonna put Bruce all in datass
    Today at 01:15:29 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: LMAOOO daddy you an I will bicker talk Crap it won't phase me
    Today at 01:16:48 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: I will continue to fit
    Today at 01:17:01 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Brian replied
    Today at 01:17:08 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: *fight
    Today at 01:17:19 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Brian you can post
    Today at 01:17:45 AM
  • Daddy: And whats this Im rebuilding in Hockey crap? Oh noooooo bruh. Im gonna rebuild this foot in that shiney hiney there as well.
    Today at 01:17:46 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Bruh I am tearing my team down for a reason
    Today at 01:18:27 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Trust me I will do work in draft
    Today at 01:18:52 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: And get this team to where I Wanna go in due time
    Today at 01:19:10 AM
  • Daddy: I got my reasons too. Forgive me for what my fantasy teams do.
    Today at 01:19:41 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: yeah ik u a tough out
    Today at 01:21:52 AM
  • Daddy: Thats why i want it to be a fair fight and the best guys doing it.
    Today at 01:24:09 AM
  • Daddy: If you had the best guys on Earth all take evenly matched teams and took all handcuffs off, who would be left standing?
    Today at 01:25:09 AM
  • Daddy: We eliminate all excuses
    Today at 01:25:21 AM
  • Daddy: SS no excuse, fantrax no excuse, non active gms no excuse, i gets rid of dead weight. Fukm
    Today at 01:26:05 AM
  • Daddy: Dont have money no excuse, dont have time no excuse, the league sux..... Nope. They dont. No excuse.
    Today at 01:27:11 AM
  • Daddy: Nobody holding you back
    Today at 01:27:31 AM
  • indiansnation: Bayareaballers trade posted in NHL live
    Today at 01:27:33 AM
  • Daddy: But you
    Today at 01:27:45 AM
  • indiansnation: Hey when will NBA live be up and running daddy
    Today at 01:28:20 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: im replying to it thx Brian
    Today at 01:28:52 AM
  • Daddy: Its a lot of work Brian but there is soooo mich excitement for it im trying to get started to be done by the upcoming season.
    Today at 01:29:39 AM
  • Daddy: I believe we will be ready by September/October
    Today at 01:30:14 AM
  • Daddy: We usually exceed my expectations
    Today at 01:30:32 AM
  • indiansnation: Just asking once its done u won't know what to do after all the live leagues our done
    Today at 01:32:59 AM
  • Daddy: Run my team. Just like you.
    Today at 01:44:21 AM
  • Daddy: Corey had the right idea but did it wrong. So much of it was fake. League rules were impeding league success and ability to achieve growth. Even back then things were tooooo sloowwww. I would wait a week before a FA was added to my team. Two weeks before added to my SS.
    Today at 01:46:52 AM
  • Daddy: You know how many fuqn moves i make in 2 weeks? Its my fault im busy somehow? Thats a bad thing?
    Today at 01:47:41 AM
  • Daddy: We gambling, playing for money, im waiting two weeks for a SS update? Daduq!!!?!!
    Today at 01:48:45 AM
  • Daddy: Fuq!!!
    Today at 01:48:58 AM
  • Daddy: You fuqn kidding me? Im doing the same Crap on another site. Playing for money
    Today at 01:49:33 AM
  • Daddy: Got no clue how much cap i really got. He got guys on my SS been gone a month. Thats the product? AND IM PAYING A FEE FOR THAT??? DA FUQ!?!?!
    Today at 01:50:32 AM
  • Daddy: And the scoring is corny on top of it
    Today at 01:51:13 AM
  • Daddy: League got ten great teams twenty Crapty ones
    Today at 01:51:36 AM
  • Daddy: FUQ THAT PRODUCT
    Today at 01:51:57 AM
  • Daddy: I tried saying, they asked me if i ever ran a league before (like they all do) so, i stfu and laced up Bruce.
    Today at 01:53:48 AM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE has been open for one day... Weve got 103 "archived" posts. Meaning fully processed SS & Fantrax.
    Today at 02:30:59 AM
  • Daddy: A dozen trades have been made, Connor McDavid found a new Country to play for.
    Today at 02:32:28 AM
  • Daddy: Let me ask you... What has any other hockey league done in the last 24 hours?
    Today at 02:33:00 AM
  • Daddy: Including the NHL
    Today at 02:33:40 AM
  • Daddy: This LIVE Crap is next level. See for yourself.
    Today at 02:34:21 AM
  • Braves155: Morning LIVE Fanatics
    Today at 09:39:56 AM
  • Braves155: Who's round today for talks? I did receive a few PMs, so I'll respond to those shortly
    Today at 01:17:33 PM
  • STLBlues91: I am always around
    Today at 01:19:42 PM
  • Braves155: Is there an NHL LIVE spreadsheet?
    Today at 01:22:30 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah its the NHL Live Rosters LINK
    Today at 01:44:36 PM
  • Daddy: I keep forgetting to link the icons. My bad.
    Today at 01:55:13 PM