Author Topic: RC needed for prospect extension interprepation  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
RC needed for prospect extension interprepation
« on: June 16, 2011, 06:50:37 PM »
I'm confused... so if someone signs their prospect to an extension, the extension kicks in following the end of his prospect eligibility, or the following year... cause if that is the case take the extension off of Ike until this is sorted out. I didn't foresee this becoming an issue when he was signed.

My take on it, if you want the full percentage then you take it that year. You want the player signed for the following year you take the following years percentage. For instance, Ike again. Signed this year it is 60%, if I want the contract to take hold next year, then it should be 50%, so on and so forth. I think this needs to be discussed further

That was Dan... my thinking is that the percentage is based on the period the contract is awarded, not started.  This is consistent with other approaches.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Dan Wood

Re: RC needed for prospect extension interprepation
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:17:34 PM »
Where the rub lies now, is that we voted you can sign a guy at the end of his final eligibility season and have it take hold the following year. So since that is already in effect, we might need to have all prospect extensions begin the following season, just to be consistent.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:31:10 PM »
Where the rub lies now, is that we voted you can sign a guy at the end of his final eligibility season and have it take hold the following year. So since that is already in effect, we might need to have all prospect extensions begin the following season, just to be consistent.

This was established in the rules.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 07:38:56 PM »
This was established in the rules.

Which part? It doesn't go on to say that if you sign a guy during the season when it takes hold, and what the effect of the percentages will have. All we voted on, and passed, was that you can sign a guy after the season and it will take hold the following season. Also what was established was that once the season ends, you can still sign a player in his final year of eligibility to an extension. What is lacking in wording in regards to prior to that.

Now that we can sign players, and have the contract start the following season, we didn't discuss how this would effect the prospect extensions. When they were created, you could not sign a player for the following year, now you can.

If we are to be consistent with what we already voted on - #2 - then we should have prospect extension start the following season, just like any other extension. What this does is give GMs another year of control. Back to Ike, I sign him now, it starts next season in 2012, I control him now at 4 mil for the following 5 years. Or should we have to take the contract on that season? That is what I think we need to suss out.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 08:06:44 PM »
For me, extension should be at the rate at the time the extension is announced, to take effect when the existing contract ends.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 08:23:56 PM »
Yes but prospect contracts run for four years, that is the existing contract. Which is both way too complicated to keep track of, as well as unrealistic to have a guy for what could be nine years for a minimal amount.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 08:28:42 PM »
Dan, you aren't seeing the big picture.  Term limits apply to prospect extensions.  Therefore, taking advantage of the prospect extension in 2011 for a P-2013 contract would only add three years under the prospect extension with the value taken as of 2011.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 08:58:53 PM »
Dan, you aren't seeing the big picture.  Term limits apply to prospect extensions.  Therefore, taking advantage of the prospect extension in 2011 for a P-2013 contract would only add three years under the prospect extension with the value taken as of 2011.

I realize that, my question is when should they go into effect? Again back to Ike. I like talking in examples it is better to visualize. Now I signed him in 2011, he is P-2013. His 'discount' is 60% this year. My question is, given the same situation, given the new rules, would it take effect in 2012, and not 2011. Like our new rule pertaining to contract extensions. Would the new extension rule apply to prospect extensions. That is what I am trying to clarify.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 09:56:39 PM »
A similar player to Ike would take effect 2014 and last through 2016.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 10:31:03 PM »
Now I'm completely lost. Someone please explain it to me. The prospect extension rule is as such...

"Any player who is currently under a prospect contract may be signed to a regular contract extension (see below), but they may also be signed to a prospect extension.  Such an extension must be a 5-year deal where the annual salary is X% of their market value.  The resulting annual salary must be no less than $4m."

Now what am I missing? If you sign someone to a PE - it is for 5 years. Now that we are starting extensions the following year, do prospect extensions start immediately, next season, or at the end of the contract (which I honestly don't think is a consideration)?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Braves155: POsted
    Yesterday at 08:34:47 PM
  • Daddy: :toast:
    Yesterday at 08:39:39 PM
  • Daddy: I sent that trade offer to the wrong GM. A LIVE GM never misses an opportunity to get better. Braves jumped right on it with a proposal. There is only one active season. Baseball.
    Yesterday at 08:55:00 PM
  • Daddy: LIVE Moderators are processing moves in every sport. Even College sports.
    Yesterday at 08:56:08 PM
  • Braves155: LIVE season never takes a break
    Yesterday at 08:59:44 PM
  • Daddy: You tellem @Braves!
    Yesterday at 09:00:14 PM
  • Daddy: You still dont believe?.... ""  Brent: Thanks man!  The changes on the site are exciting, it's like discovering ProFSL for the first time.  It's needed this for a long time.  Thank you.  Today at 08:39:44 AM"". (Don't take my word for it. Take the communities.)
    Yesterday at 09:11:25 PM
  • Brent: I couldn't find a power hitter so I traded for a hitter hitter.  New trade on the board.  @MLB LIVE
    Yesterday at 09:12:14 PM
  • Brent: Hey Braves, Vader Esch is retired.
    Yesterday at 09:12:50 PM
  • indiansnation: Brent still waiting to hear back from u
    Yesterday at 09:13:49 PM
  • Daddy: @Brent check your post
    Yesterday at 09:15:42 PM
  • Brent: Just saw it, we'll renegotiate it.
    Yesterday at 09:17:06 PM
  • Daddy: Removing the op :toth:
    Yesterday at 09:18:21 PM
  • Daddy: ProFSL is the host site of LIVE DynastySports powered by Fantrax. We are the number 1 Dynasty Fantasy Site on Earth.
    Yesterday at 09:34:08 PM
  • Daddy: Sneak Peak [link] NCAA LIVE College Football Spreadsheet.
    Yesterday at 09:47:54 PM
  • STLBlues91: **Still a work in progress but getting close
    Yesterday at 09:48:56 PM
  • Daddy: I did say "Sneak Peak". :) Does anyone know who does Dynasty Sports better than us? If so... Can you tell us so that we may learn? Thanks!
    Yesterday at 09:51:05 PM
  • Daddy: Im looking everywhere. Maybe I'm missing something.
    Yesterday at 09:56:40 PM
  • Daddy: To our current 550 Guests and the over 10,000 visitors weve had just today. Welcome to ProFSL! Home of The Big Show in Dynasty Sports.
    Yesterday at 10:01:20 PM
  • Alpha5: Fantrax has a poll asking what the best baseball movie of all time is. Summer Catch is not on the list
    Yesterday at 10:55:32 PM
  • Daddy: How long is the list and where do you rank Summer Catch amongst the greatest baseball movies of All Time?
    Today at 12:17:06 AM
  • Alpha5: The List is 8 movies.
    Today at 12:20:41 AM
  • Alpha5: Pride of the Yankees. The Natural. Bull Durham. Field of Dreams. Bad News Bears. Bang the drum slowly. Moneyball
    Today at 12:22:10 AM
  • Daddy: Should Summer Catch be mentioned amongst the top 8 baseball movies ever to be made?
    Today at 12:23:05 AM
  • Alpha5: Have only seen Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, Bears and Moneyball
    Today at 12:23:13 AM
  • Alpha5: People love For Love of The Game. Have yet to see it though
    Today at 12:24:05 AM
  • Daddy: You only listed 7 of 8
    Today at 12:24:43 AM
  • Alpha5: 42 is the other one
    Today at 12:25:00 AM
  • Daddy: Well.. im inclined to agree with Fantrax
    Today at 12:25:31 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: 42 and FoD
    Today at 12:28:06 AM
  • Daddy: People of a certain "maturity" have seen them all. I consider "A League of There Own" to be a baseball movie. The line "There is no crying in baseball" is iconic. Tom Hanks is brilliant.
    Today at 12:28:15 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: And moneyball top 3 from that list
    Today at 12:28:26 AM
  • Daddy: Its in my Top 10 if not Top 8
    Today at 12:28:45 AM
  • Alpha5: 61 was good
    Today at 12:29:11 AM
  • Alpha5: Moneyball is great
    Today at 12:30:01 AM
  • Alpha5: Summer Catch came out when I was playing baseball in HS so it's special to me. Not best. Favorite.
    Today at 12:32:28 AM
  • Daddy: You been out of HS like 15 minutes. Go dig in them crates a bit.
    Today at 12:34:54 AM
  • Daddy: Movies have nailed baseball for some reason.
    Today at 12:35:48 AM
  • Daddy: Top ten basketball movies of All Time, Anybody?
    Today at 12:36:50 AM
  • Daddy: Is there 10 :rofl:
    Today at 12:37:36 AM
  • jmntl82: Glory Road, Hoosiers, Coach Carter, My Many Sons, Space Jam, White Men Can’t Jump, Like Mike, He Got Game, Air Bud lol
    Today at 12:40:06 AM
  • jmntl82: Hustle
    Today at 12:40:43 AM
  • Daddy: Air bud? Space Jam? Lordie :doh:
    Today at 12:41:50 AM
  • Daddy: Its a strong list. I must admit. Overall its a good group.
    Today at 12:42:21 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: coach carter space jam 1 i like those
    Today at 01:36:20 AM
  • Daddy: 24 Hour Sports Breaking News [link] Courtesy of @Rotowire.
    Today at 01:47:27 AM
  • Daddy: Its how i just found out Giancarlo Stanton tweaked a hamstring.
    Today at 01:48:01 AM
  • Daddy: Basketball movies >> Uncle Drew, Love n Basketball, Hoop Dreams, Air, Above The Rim
    Today at 03:45:59 AM
  • Daddy: No particular order just to add to the list.
    Today at 03:46:24 AM
  • Daddy: Top 10 football movies? (Brain buster) Anyone
    Today at 03:47:16 AM