Author Topic: Need help understanding pitching scoring  (Read 13862 times)

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
Re: Need help understanding pitching scoring
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2011, 10:28:10 PM »
I would argue that dropping the IP threshold would have enough of an effect that we don't need to explicitly reward for IP (you'll need to optimize the IP you have), but we could hash that out.

We could factor in hits on a low-point basis, but I am more focused on the innings.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Offline BHows

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :CIN-NFL:
    • :Kentucky:
    • :CIN:
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2011, 10:32:22 PM »
Part of the argument for 85 IP was that some GMs had 6, even seven starters and it wouldn't be fair to them.
With this in mind,I'm against arbitrarily lowering IP during this season.
I haven't had the time to read all the posts but I'm confident you guys will find a solution that will make the league better.
The only request I would have is that we don't implement any major changes this season. Give everyone an off-season to adjust
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2022 WCB2 Champions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2011, 10:37:44 PM »
Part of the argument for 85 IP was that some GMs had 6, even seven starters and it wouldn't be fair to them.
With this in mind,I'm against arbitrarily lowering IP during this season.
I haven't had the time to read all the posts but I'm confident you guys will find a solution that will make the league better.
The only request I would have is that we don't implement any major changes this season. Give everyone an off-season to adjust

There was no talk of changing anything mid-season... just wanted to clear that up.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2011, 10:43:53 PM »
I think the argument stems from the Niemann/ David Price differential. To the best of my knowledge Niemann is a fly ball pitcher. What if we just made fly balls 3 points or something, since GB are 6. Make home runs and walks more detrimental. That should even everything out.

I don't know if what I am about to suggest is feasible, but it might be worth it, just to start up a league on Fantrax and play around with the scoring settings until we achieve what the majority considers correct. Give it a dry run before we implement it. I think if we had hard numbers, it would be easier to make a case for scoring one way as opposed to another.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bravesfan4

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2011, 10:46:50 PM »
GB are currently 3, change it to 4.  Maybe just give 2 points for recording a fly ball out. And get rid of ground ball base hits being 3 points as well.

i dont think any one member in the league has a bigger voice than any other. We almost all agree that a small simple change is needed. Hec, the Nieman and Price example is only one. But you could easily find many many more examples on a daily basis.

I agree with Roy that earned runs should be included.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2011, 11:07:49 PM »
i dont think any one member in the league has a bigger voice than any other. We almost all agree that a small simple change is needed. Hec, the Nieman and Price example is only one. But you could easily find many many more examples on a daily basis.

On a game-to-game basis you will find aberrations with any scoring system, thats why performance in baseball is all about sample size.  If we want to gauge any given scoring system, it should be looking at the scoring ranks over a longer time period (at least a month or two). 

Again, please take a look at the top 20 (either through April, or any of the past few seasons) and point out how many names don't belong - there are not many (if any) which means we heave a pretty good way of using stats to match the 'eye test'.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2011, 11:12:25 PM »
I agree with Roy that earned runs should be included.

Please review the links in the post Dan linked that dispute the value of ERA to accurately measure a pitcher's skill and provide links to counter articles that argue in favor of ER.  If the articles I've cited are wrong and there is info out there to disprove them, then we should certainly discuss that, but I have not read them.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2011, 11:18:32 PM »
Please review the links in the post Dan linked that dispute the value of ERA to accurately measure a pitcher's skill and provide links to counter articles that argue in favor of ER.  If the articles I've cited are wrong and there is info out there to disprove them, then we should certainly discuss that, but I have not read them.

No way should ER be included.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

lp815

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2011, 11:23:59 PM »
Lowering the innings limit may make teams pick and choose which starters to throw each week a bit more strategically, but I don't think that will necessarily solve the 'Niemann vs. Price' dilemma, since they will still be scoring the same.

Just an idea, but what if Baserunners Allowed was brought into the picture as a negative stat?  This is simply Hits + Walks + Hit Batters, but this might correct the Niemann vs. Price issue, as Price's score would have went down heavily due to this.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

lp815

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2011, 11:34:30 PM »
Keep in mind DICE (Defense Independent ERA) is a scoring option.  This projects a pitcher's ERA without the effects of defense or luck, which as been discussed often so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense-Independent_ERA
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: I must be the only one (and my 9 year olds NHL '24) that thinks he isnt a bust. My friends arent impressed.
    Yesterday at 08:33:31 PM
  • indiansnation: Goalie might be done in nhl rape charge not good
    Yesterday at 08:49:41 PM
  • indiansnation: Jmntl82 pm
    Yesterday at 08:59:05 PM
  • Brent: Damn, forgot to set my MLB Live Lineup today and lost out on Skenes start.
    Yesterday at 09:25:00 PM
  • jmntl82: Come on Brent, get it together
    Yesterday at 09:28:52 PM
  • Brent: I know right
    Yesterday at 09:32:43 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Damn at least he's making LA = Lost again
    Yesterday at 10:02:54 PM
  • jmntl82: I don't know what is about the Angels, but every fantasy league I'm in they're a top 5 team
    Yesterday at 10:21:51 PM
  • jmntl82: Or top 8 lol sorry Brent
    Yesterday at 10:22:35 PM
  • dbreer23: NFL LIVE - you've got to be kidding me with all these trades?!?
    Yesterday at 10:38:21 PM
  • jmntl82: The Lions were hardly involved
    Yesterday at 10:40:47 PM
  • dbreer23: "hardly" - I do not think that word means what you think it does...
    Yesterday at 10:42:19 PM
  • dbreer23: [link]
    Yesterday at 10:43:15 PM
  • Daddy: :rofl:
    Yesterday at 10:46:56 PM
  • dbreer23: NFL LIVE now caught up
    Yesterday at 10:59:13 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Nice
    Yesterday at 10:59:47 PM
  • Rhino7: lol I just watched that movie last night @dbreer23
    Yesterday at 11:10:33 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Let me check my salary cap. Alot of moves have been made
    Yesterday at 11:43:34 PM
  • STLBlues91: Im around all night for moves
    Yesterday at 11:44:51 PM
  • Daddy: By this time next year. Active site membership will double. Our site chats are better than cable.
    Yesterday at 11:48:41 PM
  • Daddy: Our leagues are better than anyone elses.
    Yesterday at 11:48:55 PM
  • Daddy: Our GMs are better than anyone elses.
    Yesterday at 11:49:10 PM
  • jmntl82: Cowboys released some talent into the free agency pool
    Yesterday at 11:49:12 PM
  • Daddy: Im still working on the upcoming NFL LIVE season. Ive got gms to bring up to speed and teams to iron out.
    Yesterday at 11:51:07 PM
  • Daddy: Just launched a new couple leagues. NFL LIVE is a made Man.
    Yesterday at 11:52:00 PM
  • Daddy: When i say im bringing in Elite talent. You guys have no idea. There aint never been a league like NFL LIVE don't care what anyone says.
    Yesterday at 11:53:19 PM
  • Daddy: Eventually we might have to franchise this thing out.
    Yesterday at 11:53:51 PM
  • Daddy: Im very proud of what these leagues have become. As you see people get very passionate over this product.
    Yesterday at 11:55:53 PM
  • Daddy: You dont see people act a fool because they cant get in very often. Think about it.
    Yesterday at 11:57:38 PM
  • Daddy: 2025 Im gonna do Premier League LIVE and bring Soccer to mainstream dynasty fantasy.
    Yesterday at 11:59:37 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Mma
    Today at 12:05:51 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Love that
    Today at 12:18:41 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: YNWA
    Today at 12:18:47 AM
  • indiansnation: Jmntl82 pm
    Today at 12:41:50 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Jmnlt82 pm as well
    Today at 12:43:29 AM
  • Daddy: Fantrax doesn't provide MMA and single combat sports arent team sports or played daily.
    Today at 12:49:26 AM
  • Daddy: Every sport doesn't translate to this arena. The one's that do translate, we provide. We meaning all of us, not just LIVE.
    Today at 12:51:03 AM
  • Daddy: Soccer isnt the most dynasty friendly. 22-30 guys play an hour and a half which is the longest timed sport. Then often times its 0-0 or 1-0. The challenge of trying to make that fantasy fun is eating at me.
    Today at 12:57:05 AM
  • Daddy: We like challenges :)
    Today at 12:58:22 AM
  • STLBlues91: Well ill take a team but have zero clue on what I will be doing
    Today at 12:58:59 AM
  • Daddy: Thats lonnnng from now. Got 3 other leagues to finish.
    Today at 12:59:38 AM
  • STLBlues91: You always got them waiting list got to get the claim in lol
    Today at 01:00:13 AM
  • Daddy: And i still have no clue what that matrix will look like. Ive never done dynasty soccer. Ive never heard of dynasty soccer.
    Today at 01:00:35 AM
  • Daddy: Building something like that. A true global sport that is the lowest scoring sport in the world. Thats the test of all tests as a league architect.
    Today at 01:02:12 AM
  • Daddy: NBA & NCAA x2 (156 teams total) before i can tackle that monster.
    Today at 01:03:25 AM
  • Daddy: @Brian im gonna relegate that ass next year ;)
    Today at 01:07:58 AM
  • Daddy: Keeping my promise bud. Foots to you in all sports till your last breath. Cuz, well i love you man.
    Today at 01:08:51 AM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE has already archived 194 posts and has 13 unarchived trades involving draft picks. NHL LIVE is one week old.
    Today at 01:46:12 AM
  • jmntl82: speaking of @indiansnation, pm
    Today at 01:46:33 AM
  • Daddy: This is "Modern Day" Dynasty fantasy. Not like watching paint dry. Not anymore.
    Today at 01:48:55 AM