Author Topic: C Wil Nieves  (Read 730 times)

Offline seanrmgallagher

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :PHI-NBA:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • :Pennsylvania:
    • View Profile
Re: C Wil Nieves
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 04:31:57 PM »
I think it makes more sense to allow it before the season. Major League teams routinely offer minor league contracts to veterans with no guarantee of making the major league roster in the offseason.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jss0062

• MVP
    • :DAL:
    • :SA:
    • :Blank:
    • :Texas:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 04:36:48 PM »
The offer would not be for a major league deal. For example, I could offer a $50k minor league deal to Nieves. He would make $50 for the year but would not be on the Major League or 40 man roster. If at some point during the season, I choose to place him on the 40 man roster, he would then make $400k for the season. Regardless, he would become a FA at the end of the 2014 season.

This is how I understand the rule.  I think after the initial free agency done by position if the player is unsigned then he is eligible for a minor league contract.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Maydab23

• All-Star
    • :LAL:
    • :UCLA:
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 04:48:15 PM »
I agree with Sean. How about we just make a new annotation for offering this type of contract instead of using time to distinguish when it is okay to sign a vet to minor league deal. In real baseball vets are signed all the time to minor league deals before other bigger players are signed. I say let the market dictate which vets can be signed to minor league deals. Following my proposal as shown below votto could be offered a minor league deal (of course like real life it would immediately be blown out the water) but it would help for those tweeners.

Instead of PC + $ you can offer a major league vet IST (Invitation to Spring Training) + $

Each bid offer must increase by 50K. Winner pays the one time bonus amount and has the player in minor leagues for 1 season only. At any point if that player is called up the salary defaults to 400K. Basically the same as minor league free agents except you only have them for one season regardless if you ever put them on 40 man roster

At any point during FA bidding if someone offers a ML contract of any value then it trumps all IST + $ bids.

Real teams do this every year for players trying to hang on but are not good enough for ML contracts.

Thoughts?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline seanrmgallagher

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 04:53:54 PM »
I agree with Sean. How about we just make a new annotation for offering this type of contract instead of using time to distinguish when it is okay to sign a vet to minor league deal. In real baseball vets are signed all the time to minor league deals before other bigger players are signed. I say let the market dictate which vets can be signed to minor league deals. Following my proposal as shown below votto could be offered a minor league deal (of course like real life it would immediately be blown out the water) but it would help for those tweeners.

Instead of PC + $ you can offer a major league vet IST (Invitation to Spring Training) + $

Each bid offer must increase by 50K. Winner pays the one time bonus amount and has the player in minor leagues for 1 season only. At any point if that player is called up the salary defaults to 400K. Basically the same as minor league free agents except you only have them for one season regardless if you ever put them on 40 man roster

At any point during FA bidding if someone offers a ML contract of any value then it trumps all IST + $ bids.

Real teams do this every year for players trying to hang on but are not good enough for ML contracts.

Thoughts?

:iatp:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ThePetis

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 05:06:18 PM »

Thoughts?

Love the idea.  I'm all for it as long as it doesn't put too much of an administrative effort on Chris & Jeremy.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Maydab23

• All-Star
    • :LAL:
    • :UCLA:
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 06:02:40 PM »
Love the idea.  I'm all for it as long as it doesn't put too much of an administrative effort on Chris & Jeremy.

Jeremy,

Is it possible to just put IST under salary for current year for any player signed to this type of deal. Of course when/if promoted to 40man the IST would change to 400K.

If they are never promoted then the IST's would be easily identified at the end of the year and be removed from roster back into FA pool for the next year.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 06:41:53 PM »
The offer would not be for a major league deal. For example, I could offer a $50k minor league deal to Nieves. He would make $50 for the year but would not be on the Major League or 40 man roster. If at some point during the season, I choose to place him on the 40 man roster, he would then make $400k for the season. Regardless, he would become a FA at the end of the 2014 season.

The problem is in baseball players have agents and they would never sign a minor league deal if a major league deal were possible.  So there needs to be a mechanism that behaves in the interest of the player.  The start of the major league season should be that mechanism because if a major league spot weren't available by the end of spring training it makes sense for a player to sign a minor league deal.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline seanrmgallagher

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 06:46:29 PM »
I just think that the bidding process accounts for possible MLB deals. All MLB offers trump MiLB offers, so if there is a team willing to give the player an MLB deal, that would happen.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 06:52:05 PM »
Ha.  We're trying to streamline the things we have to keep track of, not add to them.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 07:00:17 PM »
Honestly, in the name of simplicity were just going to waive the six year rule.  If you sign a player with six years of service his arbitration figure will say max and he will become a free agent after the season if not resigned.  The market will dictate who gets signed to minor league deals.  I'm going to close this thread.  Please create a new one to bid on the player. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: NHL watch a bitch. All those dudes. I know about guys playing hockey in Iceland now. Too much information.
    Yesterday at 05:00:53 PM
  • Daddy: Was a bitch :rofl:
    Yesterday at 05:01:10 PM
  • Daddy: I know about 16 year old hockey players now. It was a great learning experience. I thought i knew hockey.
    Yesterday at 05:03:59 PM
  • Daddy: Huge NHL LIVE trade. The first BLOCKBUSTER
    Yesterday at 05:59:00 PM
  • Daddy: Connor McDavid comes to Broad St. :)
    Yesterday at 05:59:23 PM
  • Daddy: Lead us great Connor. Lead us to Dynasty Glory. :win: im counting on you eh.
    Yesterday at 06:00:31 PM
  • Bigdon: Nba live i.have chicago that's awesome thanks
    Yesterday at 06:02:13 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy its 5pm and the flyers still suck
    Yesterday at 06:02:47 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah but my Flyers suck with Connor McDavid.
    Yesterday at 06:04:15 PM
  • Daddy: Dont hate me cuz im beautiful.
    Yesterday at 06:04:34 PM
  • Daddy: After a blockbuster trade, you know the feeling. I could get hit by thrown monkey poop right now and im still smiling while i eat a banana.
    Yesterday at 06:06:48 PM
  • Daddy: Who you got? Isnt Sidney Crosby coaching team Canada in the upcoming Olympics?
    Yesterday at 06:07:44 PM
  • Daddy: Ever seen Harlem Knights Brian? "" Dddddon't ttttake thththis Aaaaasssss whupin Ppppersonal" -Jack Jenkins
    Yesterday at 06:12:51 PM
  • Daddy: [link] for you. :)
    Yesterday at 06:14:34 PM
  • STLBlues91: @Daddy can you check the message I just sent. Quick question
    Yesterday at 09:14:25 PM
  • Daddy: Replied
    Yesterday at 09:48:39 PM
  • Daddy: If members do not mind, deleting old pms helps the site run smoother and keeps your pms organized.
    Yesterday at 10:07:23 PM
  • Daddy: Nobody gets more pms than i do. I stay deleting and still have pages and pages of pms
    Yesterday at 10:08:11 PM
  • Daddy: Its not required that you delete old news but its also not required you delete and spam emails. Same thing. Thanks!
    Yesterday at 10:09:35 PM
  • Daddy: If anyone wants one of these premium Flyers prospects, send me more pms to eventually delete. NFL/MLB/NHL you're welcome. On to the next LIVE chapters.
    Yesterday at 10:11:42 PM
  • STLBlues91: Thank you for the Prune message sections.
    Yesterday at 10:20:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Yepp that was an easy axe of messages
    Yesterday at 10:53:25 PM
  • STLBlues91: I did happen to select 225 pages before I saw that option though
    Yesterday at 10:55:07 PM
  • Daddy: Man you had 225 pages? Damn. Im down to 12.
    Yesterday at 11:48:59 PM
  • Daddy: Some of them i have to keep.
    Yesterday at 11:49:25 PM
  • STLBlues91: I had 465 but I clicked 225 pages worth of messages before I found the prune option
    Yesterday at 11:50:01 PM
  • Daddy: Thats a ton of trade talks. You just recently became a moderator. Being a mod we communicate tons via pm.
    Yesterday at 11:50:51 PM
  • Daddy: Your 465 pages was 400+ of trade negotiations. In pages containing 20 threads each. . :rofl:
    Yesterday at 11:52:00 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah I talk a lot of players and deals
    Yesterday at 11:52:10 PM
  • STLBlues91: And the other 65 were draft reminders and otc messages
    Yesterday at 11:52:50 PM
  • Daddy: I bet you pruned some moderator Crap :rofl: some of them you have to keep.
    Yesterday at 11:52:59 PM
  • Daddy: I always resend the important stuff.
    Yesterday at 11:53:35 PM
  • STLBlues91: No I kept all messages within like 80 days
    Yesterday at 11:53:36 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah you got it all anyway. Im just here to type and plug in numbers
    Yesterday at 11:54:07 PM
  • Daddy: There is a new NCAA football team. TCU in the house.
    Yesterday at 11:54:29 PM
  • STLBlues91: When does NCAA open and all that
    Yesterday at 11:55:15 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE just added another all star level GM. We are getting him up to speed. No not the one in Detroit.
    Yesterday at 11:55:31 PM
  • Daddy: July 1st
    Yesterday at 11:55:43 PM
  • Daddy: Where are we at? Somewhere around 50 teams i think. We have 64 but bringing them onboard profsl is a challenge.
    Yesterday at 11:56:38 PM
  • STLBlues91: Well Ill get to work more on that spread sheet like June 10th. Finishing touches on NHL then a few days off then will knock that out
    Yesterday at 11:56:47 PM
  • Daddy: So much easier. No contracts. No trades.
    Yesterday at 11:58:32 PM
  • jmntl82: I can’t stand the Detroit GM
    Yesterday at 11:59:19 PM
  • jmntl82: Keeps me up at night
    Yesterday at 11:59:34 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah the colors will take a bit as I find the rbg codes and thats 64 teams. I can copy and paste the makeup. Then just to plug in the players
    Today at 12:07:48 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Is he taking over the jags team?
    Today at 12:20:40 AM
  • Daddy: Jags have two owners
    Today at 12:24:18 AM
  • Daddy: @Vik has been put on wait list and has already been replaced. The GM directory is updated.
    Today at 12:25:13 AM
  • Daddy: This owner is in Carolina.
    Today at 12:25:40 AM
  • Daddy: iRunFreeman recruited from off-site.
    Today at 12:27:44 AM
  • Daddy: Weve probably got 20 or so people that we just have to get on profsl then get them up to speed on how we post because everything is old school here
    Today at 12:29:27 AM