Author Topic: Scoring Categories  (Read 16806 times)

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
Re: Scoring Categories
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2009, 03:46:42 PM »
Why isn't the K/BB ratio weighted by innings pitched?  That would be the proper way to use this statistic... For instance the Dodgers team K/BB ratio would be much more heavily weighted by Billingsley's ratio over Hong-Chih Kuo.  This would be a more accurate depiction of quality of team pitching.  Why include RA when we have FIP?  FIP is a more accurate statistic measuring essentially the same thing.

It is the constant battle between cumulative and ratio statistics (which I argue we need 50/50 of).  Isn't FIP a ratio statistic?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Canada8999

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2009, 08:41:02 PM »
Why isn't the K/BB ratio weighted by innings pitched?  That would be the proper way to use this statistic... For instance the Dodgers team K/BB ratio would be much more heavily weighted by Billingsley's ratio over Hong-Chih Kuo.  This would be a more accurate depiction of quality of team pitching.  Why include RA when we have FIP?  FIP is a more accurate statistic measuring essentially the same thing.

It will inherently be more heavily weighted by a player that has more total K's and BB's (which are going to correlate relatively close to IP), but as Colby mentions the idea is to offer up an additional positive counting stat.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mjmezzetti

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2009, 05:25:51 PM »
It will inherently overvalue the counting statistics that are variables in multiple categories.
Any time you use ratios, the most balanced team will win while the "best" team may not.
For instance, if a team's ops is .400 points better but their fip is .02 worse that's an even matchup.
Why not establish point values for the statistics that most closely are cleanly affiliated with pitchers'/hitters'?  We're never going to get this perfect but we'll get closest with a points system.
If we must use a ratio system our best bets are probably Runs Created, FIP and RF only but then we have two big issues... One, team performance is roughly, 48% hitting, 36% pitching and 17% fielding, they'd each be weighted 33%.  Second, and this one is big, this does not account for the performance differential in each category (you either win the category or you don't).
Perhaps we could have a conference call/ brainstorming?  Does anyone agree with what I'm stating here.  I think it's important we draft a scoring system that most accurately reflects team performance.  It's vital to making this league work.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2009, 05:33:41 PM »
M.J.,

Your 48% hitting, 36% pitching and 17% fielding recommendation has been an integral part of drafting the 2010 stats.  I'll give my reason for the ratio stats and then we can move on from there.  We try to simulate the real as much as we can, but we depend on the real transactions in the real game itself.  Over time, most likely, larger market teams will have more starters where small market teams scramble to pick up the extra AB and IP needed to get their countable stats up.  The ratio stats are used almost as a pro-ration factor to show how the players on a team would do if they had the average number of AB or IP.  Now, this brings up a good question for Fantrax.  I will ask them if they would consider prorating the stats per AB/IP (or another user inputted field) on a matchup (usually weekly) or seasonal basis.

Colby
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mjmezzetti

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2009, 05:56:45 PM »
Only way this league will work is a points system based on the following formulas...

Hitting 48%   
Runs Created ((H+BB-CS+HBP-GIDP)*((S+2D+3D+4D)*(.26(BB-IBB+HBP))+(.52*(SH+SF+SB))/(AB+BB+HBP+SH+SF)

Pitching 36%   
H.Times FIP ((13HR+3(BB+HBP)-2K)/IP)+3.20

Fielding 17%   
RF (Putouts+Assists)/Innings Played at a Position

We have to pull out the ratio portion and establish properly weighting point values for relevant statistics. Otherwise, this won't work.  Anyone else follow what I'm saying here?

1. Fantrax doesn't properly weight pitchers and hitters ratios based on each sample size.  It simply averages each hitters' and pitchers' ratio (regardless of at bats and innings pitched) causing a huge margin of error.

2. I can simply plug a minor league player into a weak position to skew my numbers (simply adding one counting category doesn't remedy this problem)

3. The margin of difference from one ratio statistic to another is simply thrown out, this is a huge discrepancy.

Without coming up with a solid system that'll properly evaluate each team it's difficult to imagine this being worthwhile, time-wise.  I love the idea but it's all a waste of time if the scoring doesn't reflect team performance.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2009, 06:37:17 PM »
Only way this league will work is a points system based on the following formulas...

Hitting 48%   
Runs Created ((H+BB-CS+HBP-GIDP)*((S+2D+3D+4D)*(.26(BB-IBB+HBP))+(.52*(SH+SF+SB))/(AB+BB+HBP+SH+SF)

Pitching 36%   

Fielding 17%   

We have to pull out the ratio portion and establish properly weighting point values for relevant statistics. Otherwise, this won't work.  Anyone else follow what I'm saying here?

1. Fantrax doesn't properly weight pitchers and hitters ratios based on each sample size.  It simply averages each hitters' and pitchers' ratio (regardless of at bats and innings pitched) causing a huge margin of error.

2. I can simply plug a minor league player into a weak position to skew my numbers (simply adding one counting category doesn't remedy this problem)

3. The margin of difference from one ratio statistic to another is simply thrown out, this is a huge discrepancy.

Without coming up with a solid system that'll properly evaluate each team it's difficult to imagine this being worthwhile, time-wise.  I love the idea but it's all a waste of time if the scoring doesn't reflect team performance.

I like your proposal with my pro-ration scheme that I mentioned in the last post.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2009, 07:24:25 PM »

There are countless numbers of successful and entertaining leagues out there, all using their own scoring systems.  I don't think there is any one correct way to do it.  Some people prefer Roto, some H2H.  Some prefer points based leagues, some prefer breaking it into categories.  As long as all owners know the system, they adjust their strategies accordingly.

Hitting 48%   

Pitching 36%   

Fielding 17%   

These are good categories, but having a number of categories (more than 3) adds to the strategic value of the game... you can try to be balanced or target specific categories you want to win everytime.

1. Fantrax doesn't properly weight pitchers and hitters ratios based on each sample size.  It simply averages each hitters' and pitchers' ratio (regardless of at bats and innings pitched) causing a huge margin of error.

Ratios should be calculated based on team totals, no weighting is necessary.  If Fantrax is incorrectly calculating team ratios by simply averaging the individual player ratios then that's a bug and should be corrected, although I'm not sure that is the case.

I agree that we need a method to reward/enforce realistic levels of playing time... this is my primary concern with whatever system we select.

This is realistic.  In MLB a 10-0 win counts the same in the standings as a 1-0 win.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 07:27:21 PM by Brewers GM »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2009, 07:35:05 PM »

Ratios are important to reward quality over quantity... we need to find a balance between the two.  A scoring system that leads to teams chasing playing time and streaming in as many starters as possible would lead the league away from reality.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mjmezzetti

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2009, 08:25:56 PM »
We play weekly lineup changes and we have a fixed number of starters.  Also it's a 30 team league.  Streaming players isn't an option.  I think a points league remedies all the issues I outlined.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mjmezzetti

« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2009, 08:33:06 PM »
"3. The margin of difference from one ratio statistic to another is simply thrown out, this is a huge discrepancy.

This is realistic.  In MLB a 10-0 win counts the same in the standings as a 1-0 win."

I meant this as an argument against roto where you might hold a huge lead in half categories and a slight loss in the other half or slight majority.  Your team would have performed better but would tie or lose.  In a points league you have a value attributed to each statistic given a more accurate total team score.

I'm sorry I'm harping on this, if you guys disagree let me know.  I'm just trying to explain my view, given I'm probably doing a Crapty job, so we can agree on the best way.  I just want the league to be as accurate as possible, however I understand if you guys see things differently.  I've been in both roto, head to head and points leagues... My strong preference is head to head, points leagues.   I've been in a couple very competitive league for 5-6 years now and dropped the others. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • BayAreaBallers: as much as i do like him a bit cuz he was dceent at ASU and solid at UF
    April 26, 2024, 01:05:26 AM
  • Daddy: Who is cooper Frick? What position he play
    April 26, 2024, 02:57:55 AM
  • Brent: BAB, yeah, Cooper is a beast.
    April 26, 2024, 07:21:11 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Daddy I was just expressing my displeasure that we passed on cooper dejean. I strongly felt cb was a bigger need or ol than wr
    April 26, 2024, 10:28:14 AM
  • Daddy: I get it
    April 26, 2024, 10:39:43 AM
  • Daddy: I dont understand everything i saw last night. The biggest winner to me was Gardner Minshew
    April 26, 2024, 10:40:41 AM
  • Daddy: Raiders, Atlanta both should have traded back if they were gonna do what they did. IMO
    April 26, 2024, 10:41:23 AM
  • Daddy: Atlanta could have fleeced Minny and let them draft JJ #6 then still get Penix before Denver/LV
    April 26, 2024, 10:42:24 AM
  • Daddy: Its like Brian is running the Raiders.
    April 26, 2024, 10:43:02 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: ya know what speaking of gardener I did trade for him this off-season
    April 26, 2024, 10:46:49 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: I honestly wouldn't have minded pearsall but I saw him as a Rd 2 target not Rd 1. Great to see another former alumni join the niners.
    April 26, 2024, 10:48:21 AM
  • Daddy: 49ers made a smart pick IMO.
    April 26, 2024, 02:25:27 PM
  • Daddy: Their WRs need contracts and Deebo has been used a lot for a guy his size already.
    April 26, 2024, 02:26:18 PM
  • Daddy: They cant and wont keep them all beyond this year.
    April 26, 2024, 02:27:17 PM
  • Daddy: Plenty of Defense left. Only 9 guys on D got drafted last night. NONE of them will be 1st rd picks in LIVE. In fact i dont think a D player gets drafted at all in LIVE till round 3.
    April 26, 2024, 02:29:01 PM
  • Daddy: If you want a S or CB @BAB your Niners will get one.
    April 26, 2024, 02:30:45 PM
  • Daddy: If anyone questions the potency or quality of Colorado marijuana, i got two words for you. Bo Nix
    April 26, 2024, 02:32:52 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: lets see what we do today
    April 26, 2024, 06:15:44 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Alot of great players remaining on the board
    April 26, 2024, 06:48:05 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Prospects rather
    April 26, 2024, 06:48:13 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Per my own eval at least
    April 26, 2024, 06:48:25 PM
  • Daddy: There are still +220 picks to be made. So. Yeah.
    April 26, 2024, 07:35:23 PM
  • Daddy: If you got ANY extra loot laying around. Pick #33 will definitely be a WR. Probably got to wager $5 to win $1 by now but the line was -400 last i looked.
    April 26, 2024, 07:36:50 PM
  • Daddy: #33 + WR = $$$
    April 26, 2024, 07:37:36 PM
  • Daddy: My guess Keon Coleman. I put it out there. Now im going to drink my crown and smoke a cigar. Rounds 2 & 3 begins in 10 minutes.
    April 26, 2024, 07:49:11 PM
  • Daddy: Damn im good
    April 26, 2024, 08:18:55 PM
  • Daddy: Only 12 offensive players were drafted in Round 2. All of them 1st rd NFL LIVE picks.
    April 26, 2024, 10:31:11 PM
  • Daddy: 63% of NFL Roster makeup  Are players drafted in rounds 4-7 or UDFA
    April 27, 2024, 01:05:08 PM
  • Alpha5: CBS's comp for Bo Nix is Josh Dobbs lol
    April 27, 2024, 03:01:57 PM
  • IndianaBuc: Maybe there’s hope for Zack after all.
    April 27, 2024, 03:13:10 PM
  • Alpha5: Trotter to the Eagles. That's pretty good @jwalker
    April 27, 2024, 03:58:11 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Nix will be their guy for at least a few years. He was picked 1.12. Zach wilson is fighting for his nfl life
    April 27, 2024, 04:35:18 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: @Alpha Trotter to eagles is a great story. Not sure it produces great results. We will see
    April 27, 2024, 04:35:42 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Zach wilson vs Jarrett Stidham camp battle for QB2. The suspense!
    April 27, 2024, 04:45:40 PM
  • Alpha5: Keon Colemans comp is Ja'Marr chase on CBS which is weird to me
    April 27, 2024, 05:19:09 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Nothing like having some depth guys on your NFL Live roster you believe in and watching his team draft a player at his position. Sometimes it happens twice. Stay strong NFL Live GMs lol
    April 27, 2024, 05:53:25 PM
  • Alpha5: Trey Benson picked crushed my Demarcado/Michael Carter hopes
    April 27, 2024, 06:12:44 PM
  • Alpha5: *pick
    April 27, 2024, 06:12:58 PM
  • Daddy: Dont think of it that way. So many guys get hurt. The NFL moves so fast. Think of your players as commodity even if they are backups or rookies that arent playing much.
    April 27, 2024, 06:16:20 PM
  • Daddy: Any player that plays at all has LIVE value. It's the GMs here that determine what that value means to them or is worth in a trade.
    April 27, 2024, 06:17:45 PM
  • Daddy: If a guy is on your team and he is also on an NFL roster. He has LIVE value.
    April 27, 2024, 06:19:21 PM
  • Daddy: How much do you love sports? How much do you love "your sport". Do you feel you could GM a franchise?
    April 27, 2024, 10:30:28 PM
  • Daddy: LIVE is a free league, better than any money league. That tests your ability to build a franchise. In a simulation setting more realistic than anything you are going to find.
    April 27, 2024, 10:31:51 PM
  • Daddy: Dont believe me? See for yourself.
    April 27, 2024, 10:32:08 PM
  • Daddy: Dont like me? So what
    April 27, 2024, 10:32:18 PM
  • Daddy: If you like sports and like dynasty. And you arent in LIVE... You aint hurting me none. You just wont know how good you really are. Pretending to be the best, isnt being the best.
    April 27, 2024, 10:33:55 PM
  • Daddy: The "best GMs" seek the best competition. Period.
    April 27, 2024, 10:38:07 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: FNHL Carolina Hurricanes welcome new owners MooseMan & GoForth :CAR-NHL: [link] :CAR-NHL:
    Yesterday at 01:44:14 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Here to talk
    Yesterday at 10:25:28 PM
  • dbreer23: PM Mt_Crushmore
    Today at 12:58:42 AM