Author Topic: Ranking The Divisions  (Read 6518 times)

Offline MillerTime

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking The Divisions
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 04:56:34 PM »
Dan touched on something in describing the value of players in the Gallardo deal that I want to run by you guys. 

Should we continue to allow free agent rights to be owned by their teams AFTER the season is over?  For example, in real life the Rangers lost the rights to Cliff Lee the second that the World Series ended.  In our league, we control their rights until December 15th.  Colby explained to me that this works like a "sign and trade", but those kind of deals only happen in basketball and never in baseball.  I'm not crazy the current rule, because it allows teams to play out the season with their free agents and never have to make the painful real life choice of whether or not to trade them for something before the trade deadline.

I disagree with this.  We do have to make a choice to trade them before the deadline or not.  Everyone knows that a team with a pending free agent is not in a good negotiating position when they are in a trade or RFA situation, therefore value offered is lower (as seen in this trade and documented by several).  If the Brewers had traded Gallardo at the deadline, the value would have been greater than the return that he got now.  Especially from a contender. 

It is a choice of higher value before the deadline or trading from a bad negotitating position.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:58:30 PM by MillerTime »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' - Homer Simpson

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 05:05:31 PM »
You might be right that the value of an impending FA goes down dramatically after the season, but that does not negate the fact that the Rangers would *never* do a "sign and trade" with Cliff Lee to the Yankees in the manner that Gallardo was traded from the Brewers to the Indians.  If we think that this way is more fun and we're willing to look past realism, so be it, but I wanted everyone to think about it.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline kungfuwig

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :NY:
    • :CLG:
    • :ArizonaState:
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 07:59:09 PM »
I like this post a lot, and I do hope to compete in 2012.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"This is your life and its ending one minute at a time"

Canada8999

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 08:02:51 PM »
With all the discussion, I'll chime in on why I made this deal.  Gallardo is a very good SP, but I have a personal objection to giving out big-money / long-term contracts to any pitchers but the best of the best (see Haren, Lee).  He's close, but given my other options to re-sign he wasn't going to make the cut.

Personally I have been very high on LaPorta for a long time, and ~500 MLB at bats with a solid BB/K, decent ISO and terrible BABIP are not enough to change my mind - I still expect him to be an impact bat at CI.  Cabrera is still very young (24) and was a top 20 MI in 2009 - any uptick in his power output and he is a very solid starter at MI.

As some have pointed out, the range of opinions on this trade is an indicator that our league has not really yet defined how the market should value expiring contracts.  The seller has the option to RFA big name expiring's and receive up to 2 first round picks (the only way to add picks), which can be stashed on the EDR (saving roster and cap space) - this is in addition to the option of re-signing the player (in which case the buyer has no opportunity to acquire the player).  The buyer gets the player at a known cost and does not need to win an FA bidding war, does not need to give up the compensation picks, and can go into FA with more certainty (not to be underestimated) - this is in addition to preventing the seller from re-signing or trading the player to another team.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 09:12:04 PM »
Here is how I evaluate this deal:

Suppose CLE is willing to spend 15M on Gallardo during FA bidding. Then, in exchange for the 3M and a first round pick, he gave up the rights to Laporta and Cabrera. If you think Laporta, Cabrera is worth 3M + 1st rounder, then CLE came out ahead.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 08:37:54 AM »
I do have to agree with Roy to a certain extent on the point that he made. Granted MLB doesn't have RFA's, but I think in this league it is needed and a great addition. I think what Roy is getting at, and what I agree with, is making the time between the end of the season and the amount of time we can hold onto our pending FAs less. In MLB, teams have a window of opportunity where they can negotiate with their pending FAs, before they are made available to other teams to bid on. I think a case can be made to shorten what we currently have in place to more resemble MLB. I also think any further discussion involving this should be moved to its own post.

And as far as the trade goes, I think I have chimed in on this. Ben was in a tough spot and he got a very good return for someone he could have lost completely. LaPorta does have upside, as does Cabrera. Although I will say this, the one really good season that Cabrera had his BABIP was .360. The question was posed from Chad if this makes him the favorite in the Central. If there is a lesson we can learn from the FGM Giants last year, is that in this league, it is difficult to win when a majority of your points come from pitching. Good starters and great starters have a difference of about 20(50-70) points a week. Generally that difference will not win you a week. Where as a really good power hitter, what LaPorta's pedigree was/is, can score a lot more than that. So, I don't think this was a slam dunk for Cleveland as some have pointed out, but if LaPorta doesn't pan out, then Ben is getting the short end of the deal, and Chad made a very good trade. I just don't think any of us can answer that until a few months into the season. Funny that Colby brought up the CC trade, because this is very similar to what was said when that deal happened, that the success of the trade relies on LaPorta's ability to become a middle of the order bat.

As I said earlier, I still think the Twins come out on top at this juncture because of the known production that he will get, where as two of the big bats on Cleveland are question marks for various reasons. The AL Central is very close, the top 3 teams are but an elevator fart away from each other. Going into free agency, and the rest of the trading season, it will be interesting to see how these teams fill their needs. For the most part, every division is close right now, because we don't have fully formed teams, and guys with expired contracts are still sitting on rosters waiting to be resigned, dealt, or RFA'd. So those player's fate is still TBD. As we move along we will get a clearer picture of what each team's strengths and weaknesses are.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2010, 11:55:16 AM »
I would still rank the Brewers 1st in the NL Central with a lineup that has Pujols, Braun, and Utley (let alone the other guys).  Their rotation has Haren, Sanchez, and Masterson.  They have RFA tags on Danks and Wigginton and $9.5m in cap space to either sign them or some other guys.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

bravesfan4

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 12:03:24 PM »
I will put Milwaukee in the mix. I think there the 3rd best team in the division. However I now say the Phils will win the division and the Braves will fall short. Phils become clear front-runners in the East.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2010, 12:11:34 PM »
I will put Milwaukee in the mix. I think there the 3rd best team in the division. However I now say the Phils will win the division and the Braves will fall short. Phils become clear front-runners in the East.

Brewers are in the Central.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Dan Wood

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2010, 01:19:31 PM »
Corey was just adding to what he had said earlier about the NL east. It  was two statements in one post
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • BayAreaBallers: as much as i do like him a bit cuz he was dceent at ASU and solid at UF
    April 26, 2024, 01:05:26 AM
  • Daddy: Who is cooper Frick? What position he play
    April 26, 2024, 02:57:55 AM
  • Brent: BAB, yeah, Cooper is a beast.
    April 26, 2024, 07:21:11 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Daddy I was just expressing my displeasure that we passed on cooper dejean. I strongly felt cb was a bigger need or ol than wr
    April 26, 2024, 10:28:14 AM
  • Daddy: I get it
    April 26, 2024, 10:39:43 AM
  • Daddy: I dont understand everything i saw last night. The biggest winner to me was Gardner Minshew
    April 26, 2024, 10:40:41 AM
  • Daddy: Raiders, Atlanta both should have traded back if they were gonna do what they did. IMO
    April 26, 2024, 10:41:23 AM
  • Daddy: Atlanta could have fleeced Minny and let them draft JJ #6 then still get Penix before Denver/LV
    April 26, 2024, 10:42:24 AM
  • Daddy: Its like Brian is running the Raiders.
    April 26, 2024, 10:43:02 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: ya know what speaking of gardener I did trade for him this off-season
    April 26, 2024, 10:46:49 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: I honestly wouldn't have minded pearsall but I saw him as a Rd 2 target not Rd 1. Great to see another former alumni join the niners.
    April 26, 2024, 10:48:21 AM
  • Daddy: 49ers made a smart pick IMO.
    April 26, 2024, 02:25:27 PM
  • Daddy: Their WRs need contracts and Deebo has been used a lot for a guy his size already.
    April 26, 2024, 02:26:18 PM
  • Daddy: They cant and wont keep them all beyond this year.
    April 26, 2024, 02:27:17 PM
  • Daddy: Plenty of Defense left. Only 9 guys on D got drafted last night. NONE of them will be 1st rd picks in LIVE. In fact i dont think a D player gets drafted at all in LIVE till round 3.
    April 26, 2024, 02:29:01 PM
  • Daddy: If you want a S or CB @BAB your Niners will get one.
    April 26, 2024, 02:30:45 PM
  • Daddy: If anyone questions the potency or quality of Colorado marijuana, i got two words for you. Bo Nix
    April 26, 2024, 02:32:52 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: lets see what we do today
    April 26, 2024, 06:15:44 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Alot of great players remaining on the board
    April 26, 2024, 06:48:05 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Prospects rather
    April 26, 2024, 06:48:13 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Per my own eval at least
    April 26, 2024, 06:48:25 PM
  • Daddy: There are still +220 picks to be made. So. Yeah.
    April 26, 2024, 07:35:23 PM
  • Daddy: If you got ANY extra loot laying around. Pick #33 will definitely be a WR. Probably got to wager $5 to win $1 by now but the line was -400 last i looked.
    April 26, 2024, 07:36:50 PM
  • Daddy: #33 + WR = $$$
    April 26, 2024, 07:37:36 PM
  • Daddy: My guess Keon Coleman. I put it out there. Now im going to drink my crown and smoke a cigar. Rounds 2 & 3 begins in 10 minutes.
    April 26, 2024, 07:49:11 PM
  • Daddy: Damn im good
    April 26, 2024, 08:18:55 PM
  • Daddy: Only 12 offensive players were drafted in Round 2. All of them 1st rd NFL LIVE picks.
    April 26, 2024, 10:31:11 PM
  • Daddy: 63% of NFL Roster makeup  Are players drafted in rounds 4-7 or UDFA
    April 27, 2024, 01:05:08 PM
  • Alpha5: CBS's comp for Bo Nix is Josh Dobbs lol
    April 27, 2024, 03:01:57 PM
  • IndianaBuc: Maybe there’s hope for Zack after all.
    April 27, 2024, 03:13:10 PM
  • Alpha5: Trotter to the Eagles. That's pretty good @jwalker
    April 27, 2024, 03:58:11 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Nix will be their guy for at least a few years. He was picked 1.12. Zach wilson is fighting for his nfl life
    April 27, 2024, 04:35:18 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: @Alpha Trotter to eagles is a great story. Not sure it produces great results. We will see
    April 27, 2024, 04:35:42 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Zach wilson vs Jarrett Stidham camp battle for QB2. The suspense!
    April 27, 2024, 04:45:40 PM
  • Alpha5: Keon Colemans comp is Ja'Marr chase on CBS which is weird to me
    April 27, 2024, 05:19:09 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Nothing like having some depth guys on your NFL Live roster you believe in and watching his team draft a player at his position. Sometimes it happens twice. Stay strong NFL Live GMs lol
    April 27, 2024, 05:53:25 PM
  • Alpha5: Trey Benson picked crushed my Demarcado/Michael Carter hopes
    April 27, 2024, 06:12:44 PM
  • Alpha5: *pick
    April 27, 2024, 06:12:58 PM
  • Daddy: Dont think of it that way. So many guys get hurt. The NFL moves so fast. Think of your players as commodity even if they are backups or rookies that arent playing much.
    April 27, 2024, 06:16:20 PM
  • Daddy: Any player that plays at all has LIVE value. It's the GMs here that determine what that value means to them or is worth in a trade.
    April 27, 2024, 06:17:45 PM
  • Daddy: If a guy is on your team and he is also on an NFL roster. He has LIVE value.
    April 27, 2024, 06:19:21 PM
  • Daddy: How much do you love sports? How much do you love "your sport". Do you feel you could GM a franchise?
    April 27, 2024, 10:30:28 PM
  • Daddy: LIVE is a free league, better than any money league. That tests your ability to build a franchise. In a simulation setting more realistic than anything you are going to find.
    April 27, 2024, 10:31:51 PM
  • Daddy: Dont believe me? See for yourself.
    April 27, 2024, 10:32:08 PM
  • Daddy: Dont like me? So what
    April 27, 2024, 10:32:18 PM
  • Daddy: If you like sports and like dynasty. And you arent in LIVE... You aint hurting me none. You just wont know how good you really are. Pretending to be the best, isnt being the best.
    April 27, 2024, 10:33:55 PM
  • Daddy: The "best GMs" seek the best competition. Period.
    April 27, 2024, 10:38:07 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: FNHL Carolina Hurricanes welcome new owners MooseMan & GoForth :CAR-NHL: [link] :CAR-NHL:
    Yesterday at 01:44:14 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Here to talk
    Yesterday at 10:25:28 PM
  • dbreer23: PM Mt_Crushmore
    Today at 12:58:42 AM