Author Topic: Do We Want a TC?  (Read 6011 times)

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
Do We Want a TC?
« on: June 23, 2011, 01:12:59 PM »
Lately, we have been having a lot of arguments over trades that are vetoed by the TC, so I thought I would put this out for discussion.  I'm not sure whether discussion should be limited to the RC or the league in general.  I will leave that decision to Colby.  It's a tough question.  I have no doubt that the TC would prevent some really bad deals from otherwise going through, but I also see the frustration on the other side, because there does not seem to be any consistency or real objectivity being exercised.  There is no doubt that horrible deals have been approved in the past when collusion was the primary deciding factor in approving deals.  Unfortunately, even recently there have been some questionable deals as well.

We had a TC in my other favorite dynasty league, and it was disbanded when a few owners complained about unequal treatment.  With that said, I think that equal treatment takes precedent over bad deals, so I would support a measure to disband the TC.  In its place, I would ask Colby himself to over-turn deals that he believes are not in the best interests of the league.  He can reach out to the RC if he's not sure.  This is how it works in my other leagues where the commissioner is the sole arbiter.  I just don't see how the current system will work given the bad deals that have been approved in the past.  It's looking more and more like some of the teams "got theirs" in the past, and new guys like the Yanks are being prevented from making lop-sided deals in their favor.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
Re: Do We Want a TC?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 01:18:04 PM »
Intersting point.  I don't want to be administering the ruling on every single trade.  I want to hear other opinions first.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Offline MillerTime

• Legend
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
I am fine with doing away with the TC, but will tell you that no matter what there will be someone that is against the new system and it will be picked apart and discussed. 

Another option is a league vote on each trade.  Requires 50 - 75% of the league to vote and then a majority to pass.  Clear cut. 

It would also potentially increase activity, but also could delay trades for days. 

I would like to mention that only a month ago the argument was strongly in favor of the TC making sure that teams not get ruined by new managers.  As the wind blows, someone comes up with an argument and things sway back and forth.  I truly believe that no matter what there will be someone arguing the other side of the argument.  Often this league will just discuss until it kills a subject.

It also funny that the new manager calls this league a bunch of Sharks.  Maybe we should create a thread called, "Not being a shark", we can discuss how GMs approach trades and why we make a new GM feel this way. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 01:35:12 PM by MillerTime »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' - Homer Simpson

Offline OUDAN

• Legend
    • :DAL:
    • :LAL:
    • :Oklahoma:
    • :NYY:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 01:34:31 PM »
colby i dont care if there is a TC in fact i think there should be one, my issue is i think some in the TC may reject deals that could help their competition. Also the other problem is they arent help accountable to anyone so there is no need to be consistent.
i am really on my soap box right now because i am potentially gonna lose a deal that i love
 :soapbox:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"People don't know what it means to be champions, Oklahoma invented it."
-Barry "The King" Switzer

"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
-Coach Taylor

I hated every moment of training but I said, "Don't quit, Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a Champion."
-Mohammed Ali

:win: 2014 FGM Champ
:win: 2015 Moneyball Champ
:win: 2015 Bush League Champ

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
I still think is a need for TC to ensure that the balance of the league is not upset through trades. It's not a good idea to have one person (Colby) making all the decisions as he will simply be overwhelmed.

And this whole non-sense about who's a shark and who is not shark, WTF? This isn't kindergarden where everyone wins, it's a competition. If I see a market inefficiency, I am going to exploit it to my advantage. We shouldn't have to as Dan puts it, baby proof every GM office. As long as a move GMs understands the ramifications and it does not severely upset the balance of the league, the trade should be approved (Belt trade is an example of this).

There's always going to be good and bad teams in a league. The GMs of the bad teams eventually leave or become inactive, paving away for competent new GMs (e.g, KC and BAL).

The key in this is to find good GMs. No offense but exchanging messages isn't really indicative of how good or bad a GM is, it's just shows the guy can type. I think it's time to put stringent control on who we let into this league (how about a more formalized form where each GM would have to fill out along with some skill testing questions. E.g., Here is the Belt trade, break it down for us, why would you do it or not do it). I would rather have a team rot in inactivity rather then being taken over by an incompetent GM.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 05:16:32 PM »
I think we need a TC, but I think it should be 1 team from each division. Or it could also be the 3 most senior members of the league, if they want it. A league wide vote is another way to go - but I doubt it would work in such a timely fashion with such a large league.

Another stipulation to trades would be that only the members of the TC and the teams involved in the transaction are allowed to post for said transaction. I have been guilty of this, but a lot of recent trades have been victim of fan interference. I think what it comes down to is that when you evaluate a trade, not to let personal evaluations get in the way of another GMs evaluations of players. Also anyone who is involved with trade talks about a player switching teams, should not be allowed to vote due to a conflict of interest.

In two very recent trades, GMs valued players (Weeks, Belt) either differently than the TC and that did cause some problems. I personally value several players on my team differently than others in the league, and paid the cost to obtain them, it's just how it works.

- Completely different suggestion - I think we need a sort of welcoming committee to new members to the league. The Rockies first two trades brought quite an ire out of several members and could have been avoided if he had someone to discuss them with - I know personally I have several friends that I can get their opinion on a trade that I am contemplating. I think that option should be there for new members until they get into the swing of things.

It is one thing for members to look out for other members and treat them with courtesy and respect, but as Howe said this is a competition...unless we all just want to do away with records.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline OUDAN

• Legend
    • :DAL:
    • :LAL:
    • :Oklahoma:
    • :NYY:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:46:30 PM »
dan once again i agree with you
 :iatp:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"People don't know what it means to be champions, Oklahoma invented it."
-Barry "The King" Switzer

"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
-Coach Taylor

I hated every moment of training but I said, "Don't quit, Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a Champion."
-Mohammed Ali

:win: 2014 FGM Champ
:win: 2015 Moneyball Champ
:win: 2015 Bush League Champ

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 06:20:21 PM »
Owners commenting in this thread appear to want a TC, but what exactly do you want the TC to do?  I read one owner last night say that a trade should be approved because 1) the owner told us why he did the trade and 2) different owners want different things in trades.  Also, I keep reading that such and such trade should be approved because there were worse trades approved in the past.  Those are the same arguments that killed the TC in my other league.  I think the only way the TC will work is if we collectively decide on how they should make rulings in the future.

Should they ignore the precedent of prior trades?
Should they approve a trade even if they disagree with the owner's reason for making the trade?

The TC needs firm direction or we all will be arguing about trades until Doomsday.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Brewers GM

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 07:26:45 PM »
I think the griping over the TC is similar to griping over the rules ... FGM has been around long enough now that the honeymoon period is over, people have developed a sense of entitlement and personal grudges are influencing our decisions. 

At some point, we need to put a foot down and say this is FGM, it is what it is, if you don't like it don't play.  We can make minor adjustments along the way, but the constant churning of rules is getting out of hand.  How far do we go down this path until we lose what made the league so great in the first place?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 07:42:40 PM »
I think the griping over the TC is similar to griping over the rules ... FGM has been around long enough now that the honeymoon period is over, people have developed a sense of entitlement and personal grudges are influencing our decisions. 

At some point, we need to put a foot down and say this is FGM, it is what it is, if you don't like it don't play.  We can make minor adjustments along the way, but the constant churning of rules is getting out of hand.  How far do we go down this path until we lose what made the league so great in the first place?

Well said Ben
 :iatp:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • dbreer23: Agreed. I think the Devers deal in FGM is a good example of that. Devers gives SD some now (and future) pop, giving up substantial pieces to get him (Mayo, Keith, and one other).
    Yesterday at 01:03:48 PM
  • Brent: I had Holliday in FGM before I stepped away.
    Yesterday at 01:24:07 PM
  • Brent: I am glad I cut back on leagues, I was spread too thin.
    Yesterday at 01:24:25 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: @idsjayhawk i understand that. To be clear, i wasnt judging anyone. I just know in NFL Live, you cant just draft 1-7 rds every year and sign a few FAs and be the champion. It wont happen
    Yesterday at 01:52:08 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Trading isnt easy. But neither is winning
    Yesterday at 01:52:22 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: If you made a list of the most aggressive gms to have stepped foot in nfl live, you will notice the champions will be among them
    Yesterday at 01:53:06 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: You arent gonna win every trade and you HAVE to have a plan. Ive made some horrible trades. I have every year
    Yesterday at 01:53:50 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Carolina has kyren williams right now cause i traded him for a 2nd and a 4th. Id rather have kyren today lol
    Yesterday at 01:54:28 PM
  • Brent: Agreed.  I have Amon Ra St. Brown and Aiyuk because I traded JJ.  I couldn't have acquired a player like ASB where I was picking in the 1st so I down tiered at WR to make a trio of Chase, ASB and Aiyuk instead of JJ, Chase and fill in the blank.
    Yesterday at 02:09:02 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: That is probably even more true in baseball since your drafts don't payoff for 5 years or so.  And I will admit my conservatism may be the reason I only have one championship here at ProFSL
    Yesterday at 02:10:04 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: jwalkerjr88 is right
    Yesterday at 02:25:49 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: on that u havat trade a bit here and there
    Yesterday at 02:25:57 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: although my last draft class and fa class kinda lead me to a run so it can happen
    Yesterday at 02:27:21 PM
  • Brent: Yeah, it does help to have a big draft class and available cap.
    Yesterday at 02:36:56 PM
  • Brent: I'm contemplating doing a complete tear down in NFL Live and rebuild.  Honestly, I probably should have postered for it to be this season.  I still might, but I would legit need to go into the draft with 3-4 top 10 picks/+ many others.
    Yesterday at 02:38:21 PM
  • Brent: postured
    Yesterday at 02:38:35 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Yea nailing drafts and some key FAs helps too. But if you remember BAB you traded alvin kamara for the rams 1-7 draft picks. So the extra picks helped you nail the 2023 draft the way you did
    Yesterday at 03:13:02 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Its the combination of all three that is required is what im saying
    Yesterday at 03:13:31 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: And brent a tear down with you assets would look interesting. Personally i just think you need break one big asset down into 3 good ones and move carr and go from there. But you have an A1 nfl mind so im sure you will nail whatever it is you decide
    Yesterday at 03:14:39 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: *your
    Yesterday at 03:14:50 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: very good pt yes i did gain lot of capital which propelled me to make more moves from that trade
    Yesterday at 03:34:25 PM
  • Brent: Thank you.  Yes, I agree.  I do need to break one asset down to 3.  I did that with JJ, went from S tier to 2 A tiers.  Now I need to potentially go from an A tier to 3 Bs or something like that.  I've had some inquiries on Carr, but nothing worth moving him.
    Yesterday at 03:48:17 PM
  • Alpha5: Guarantee I know who he traded Kamara to for 1-7 without even looking
    Yesterday at 05:22:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: alpha it was a good trade at the time
    Yesterday at 05:29:49 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: my team was in the Crapter at that pt
    Yesterday at 05:29:58 PM
  • Brent: Who did you draft with the 1st acquired in that trade?
    Yesterday at 05:36:34 PM
  • Daddy: Whoever it was, he got six more choices on top of that. The "win win" scenario.
    Yesterday at 05:53:04 PM
  • Daddy: At that time i had no RB1. So i traded an entire draft class to get one.
    Yesterday at 05:54:10 PM
  • Daddy: SF doubled up his pick haul and went to work, using them in trades & draft return.
    Yesterday at 05:54:46 PM
  • Daddy: Then beat me in the NFC Title game.
    Yesterday at 05:55:32 PM
  • Daddy: RB is a hard position to nail down. If someone wants to trade me 1-7 for Kamara. Step right up.
    Yesterday at 06:02:30 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I gotta see what I did
    Yesterday at 06:05:04 PM
  • Daddy: You got better
    Yesterday at 06:13:59 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i did so many moves trades and draft that i honestly dunno
    Yesterday at 06:18:48 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: This is the way
    Yesterday at 06:21:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I could teach how I did what I did
    Yesterday at 07:33:36 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around for a few hours today. Wont be around tomorrow until late
    Yesterday at 07:37:07 PM
  • TheGOAT: Thank God that there are 3 really good qb options in the draft. Can't imagine a world with Bo Nix as my frachise qb
    Yesterday at 08:12:51 PM
  • TheGOAT: Not that hes bad
    Yesterday at 08:13:06 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: think rn my qb room is minshew dobbs wentz
    Yesterday at 08:22:37 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: We look forward to your return to the playoffs @Thegoat
    Yesterday at 08:22:51 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: You and your brother camw in guns blazing a few years back. The NFC is not the gauntlet the AFC is. Once you make the title game, all bets are off
    Yesterday at 08:23:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: nfc is still tough
    Yesterday at 08:25:23 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i had a tough road
    Yesterday at 08:25:37 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: to get to teh ship lot of good teams i knocked out
    Yesterday at 08:25:50 PM
  • Brent: Carr is OTB for those who don't want a rookie.
    Today at 08:17:12 AM
  • Daddy: The NHL LIVE sign up sheet in the bullpen has nearly 87,000 views. Which is insane.
    Today at 11:47:58 AM
  • Daddy: Whats more insane is we still have 3 open teams
    Today at 11:48:37 AM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE [link] start new, start from today, sign up.
    Today at 11:49:27 AM
  • indiansnation: Who is looking to trade in mlb live?
    Today at 04:19:30 PM