Author Topic: Ranking The Divisions  (Read 6525 times)

Dan Wood

Ranking The Divisions
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:05:28 PM »
Although we aren't even at Free Agency yet, many teams have been making moves to strengthen their chances at winning their division. I am hoping that this article, coupled with Colby's weekly power rankings will increase the interactivity within this league. The following is just my opinion on how the teams in their divisions stack up at the time that the article was written.

AL East
1. Yanks - World Series runner ups in 2010. Corey has wasted little time in improving what was an aging team. Adding Buster Posey, Roy Halladay, and Zack Grienke.
Team Weakness: OF and CI. With 70 mil to spend I think these holes will be filled, Fielder anyone?
2. Red Sox - In his short tenure as GM, Jeff has made more moves than daddypadre ever did. Adding Cargo, Uggla, Torres, and DeJesus.
Weakness: Starting pitching
3. Blue Jays - Daniel keeps the magic going by landing Vmart and Brett Anderson.
Weakness: Line-Up may be a problem.
4. Devil Rays - Mike has been relatively quiet thus far. Still has some of the best young players in the sport, in Longoria, Wieters, Hanley, Price, Hellickson, Jennings.
Weakness: Depth could end up being a problem
5. Orioles - Outside of her 1,000 player trade with Colby, Laura also has been very quiet. With the unenviable task of making the O's a contender in this division, she figures to spend heavy during FA. Kendry Morales should be a cornerstone for a squad.
Weakness: Quite a few.

AL Central
1. Twins - Adding Texiera and Posada, to Roberts, Jones, Abreau, Cain, and Hudson was a ballsy move, and should pay dividends in this very tight division.
Weakness: OF might need some help if Bobby Abreau realizes he is almost 40.
2. Indians - Added Olivo and resigned AL MVP Joey Votto. He still comes to the table with a very deep team that is left over from 2010.
Weakness: Carlos Quentin and Matt LaPorta need to show up plain and simple otherwise it'll be the Votto and Choo show on offense.
3. White Sox - Rick has added a few pieces in Mike dirty Naps and Brennan Boesch to a solid young core. This teams strenght however will be its pitching.
Weakness: Line up. The addition of one legitimate star makes his the best team in the division.
4. Tigers - New GM hank has made several moves to clear some payroll.
Weakness: This team will need another bat to help Crawford out.
5. Royals - life imitating fantasy. Respect the process. Freddy still has a bunch of blue chip studs that should make this team move up in the rankings in, most likely 2012.
Weakness: Major league ready talent. Bet the farm on the farm.

AL West
1. A's - Still #1 in this division.
Weakness: A lot of money tied up in ARam. Needs Gordon, Smoak and a few others to produce as capable.
2. Rangers - I am still a fan of this team. Injuries hurt them last year, but Roy still has LaRoche, Cruz, Kinsler, Andrus and Sizemore.
Weakness: CI and C but Roy finally has money to spend.
3. Angels - One of our newest GMs took over one of the oldest teams in the league. Additions of Ichiro and Charleston Chew Sabathia are expensive, but bring star power.
Weakness: Money, not enough of it
4. Mariners - This team was poorly constructed from the get go after last years FA. Too much money spent on little to no production. However they do have one of the better farm systems.
Weakness: Too many to list

NL East
1. Phillies - Ended on top, start on the top. With one of the higher payrolls in the league lets see if they can stay there.
Weakness: Age and huge contracts.
2. Braves - Have a very good pitching staff, Jason Heyward, Justin Morneau, and 300 minor league catchers. Aubrey is always looking to upgrade, and I doubt this current squad will resemble the one at the end of the year.
Weakness: Outfield regression. Tyler Colvin and Austin Jackson are doubtful to repeat their 2010 success (not me saying it, all the experts are)
3. Nats - In a weak division, Jake has put together a very good line-up with Dusty P, Chris Young(just realized he had both the ebony and ivory versions), and Ike Davis.
Weakness: Pitching and depth. Wonder boy Strasburghs injury will hurt this year.
4. Marlins - Nice pick up of Zimmerman.
Weakness: Lots
5. Mets - Best player was Eric Hinske in 2010. Loaded on the farm, but this team was burned to the ground by previous GMs leaving Greene to pick up the pieces.
Weakness: MLB players until the young uns are ready. Has money to play with though.

NL Central
1. Pirates - Our fearless leader has assembled a very good squad from top to bottom in both hitting and pitching. Many of his players have high ceilings.
Weakness: Can his players reach their ceilings?
2. Reds - It was a toss up here between me and the Cards, so I vote for myself. Excellent line up, with blue chippers ready to contribute as well.
Weakness - Anyone see any pitching? Which Adam Lind will show up?
3. Cardinals - As always a very well assembled team with no obvious weaknesses.
Weakness: See above. Just nitpicking but he could use another star to compliment AGon.
4. Brewers - Last years destroyer of teams has had many players get really expensive. Ben has been very quiet so far, hence this ranking, but I never count him out.
Weakness: Right now, just needs to add to JD, Braun, Albert, Haren, and Sanchez.
5. Stros - After last years playoff run that surprised everyone but Kent, the Stros have done very little so far this offseason. Thome has been RFA'd as has Callaspo.
Weakness: The Stros could use some power, but pitching is more than taken care of.
6. Cubbies - ARod, Swisher and not much else. Trading Drew away will hurt.
Weakness: Could use and ace, and a few bats, but has a butt load of cash burning a hole in his pocket.

NL West
1. Rockies - Howe has made quite a few deals that have improved a team that lacked depth last year. Adding Youk and Lester was to his All Star squad was a fantastic move.
Weakness - I don't see any. This years Brewers.
2. Dodgers - MJ won it all last year and now has to deal with Howe. Solid young roster.
Weakness: This team may need Matt Kemp to be a star again just in case all of the young guys don't progress as expected.
3. D'Backs - Also quiet this offseason. Bruce, Reynolds, and Buatista will once again lead this team.
Weakness: Which Jose Bautista shows up in 2011. Line up will need some bodies if he doesn't produce exactly like he did in 2010.
4. Giants - A team lacking anything resembling hitters. I am interested to see what the new GM can do.
Weakness: Bats, plain and simple. Staff is nothing to worry about.
5. Padres - Added Tori Hunter in a surprise move. This team may sneak up on a few people if Jimmy Rollins can pull it together.
Weakness: Still light on many categories, but moving in the right direction.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:38:04 AM by Dan Wood »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking The Divisions
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 07:13:25 PM »
Excellent rankings... I doubt my Pirates win the AL Central.  There is a lot of potential with my team but they are very young.  My quick two cents... I feel the Rangers can take the AL West and the White Sox, not the Twins, will be atop the AL Central... I take it the Astros were contracted?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

bravesfan4

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 07:23:20 PM »
The AL east will battle, as will most. I think the Braves and Nats will really challenge the Phils this year. I agree with you that the Twins and Rockies two teams left out last year can definately win there divisions. The great thing is, you cannot guarantee that any team is for sure going to win there division. A lot of parity and that is awesome! Only a few teams have actually gotten worse this off-season but many have majorly improved.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 07:29:26 PM »
Cant wait to see the rankings post offseason Free Agency.  And then after spring training.  My guess is that things might change before the season begins.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

lp815

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 08:03:03 PM »
I like my spot according to Dan.  Not expecting to get 1st or 2nd in my division, but am hopeful to be over or at .500 next season.  Just want to increase that cap in '13, baby!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 09:01:47 PM »
Good read Dan. My teams have a habit of underachieving, so I wouldnt start with the Brewers comparison just yet.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline BHows

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :CIN-NFL:
    • :Kentucky:
    • :CIN:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 09:21:05 PM »
You missed your calling, Dan. You should be writing for a major publication. Well written.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2022 WCB2 Champions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
You missed your calling, Dan. You should be writing for a major publication. Well written.

:iatp: Dan should blog for ProFSL!  :win:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Offline BHows

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :CIN-NFL:
    • :Kentucky:
    • :CIN:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 09:57:58 PM »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2022 WCB2 Champions

Dan Wood

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 10:39:29 PM »
I would be more than happy too. Thank you Rick and Colb for the vote of confidence. Just show me where to start, and get me a spell check mechanism.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Dont believe me? See for yourself.
    April 27, 2024, 10:32:08 PM
  • Daddy: Dont like me? So what
    April 27, 2024, 10:32:18 PM
  • Daddy: If you like sports and like dynasty. And you arent in LIVE... You aint hurting me none. You just wont know how good you really are. Pretending to be the best, isnt being the best.
    April 27, 2024, 10:33:55 PM
  • Daddy: The "best GMs" seek the best competition. Period.
    April 27, 2024, 10:38:07 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: FNHL Carolina Hurricanes welcome new owners MooseMan & GoForth :CAR-NHL: [link] :CAR-NHL:
    April 28, 2024, 01:44:14 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Here to talk
    April 28, 2024, 10:25:28 PM
  • dbreer23: PM Mt_Crushmore
    Yesterday at 12:58:42 AM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Pm DBreer23
    Yesterday at 01:30:41 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA LIVE updates are happening on fantrax and profsl.
    Yesterday at 02:49:06 PM
  • Daddy: Check your profiles on each site and pms to be sure you are caught up but more updates are coming its a massive league and its a busy time.
    Yesterday at 02:50:11 PM
  • Daddy: NFL/NCAA LIVE football commith.
    Yesterday at 02:51:48 PM
  • Daddy: Recruiting begins June 1
    Yesterday at 02:52:19 PM
  • Daddy: Draft is August 1
    Yesterday at 02:52:40 PM
  • Daddy: MLB LIVE Draft [link] one week after MLB Draft is set and locked in.
    Yesterday at 02:55:01 PM
  • Daddy: Huge NFL LIVE trade up in the draft.
    Yesterday at 03:35:50 PM
  • Daddy: Congratulations to both teams
    Yesterday at 03:36:00 PM
  • Daddy: @Sky welcome back to profsl. @indiansnation @Brent are two GMs that i know remember you on site. There are probably many others. Big time return. :toast:
    Yesterday at 06:05:28 PM
  • Sky: :) Thanks Daddy! You pulled me back in lol
    Yesterday at 06:58:51 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for any talks
    Yesterday at 08:16:52 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Vegeta100 PM'D you.
    Yesterday at 09:51:48 PM
  • Daddy: There are pms flying all over the place and trades happening in multiple sports.
    Yesterday at 11:16:34 PM
  • Daddy: Dont let the clean boards fool you. :) Run those teams and dominate somebody.
    Yesterday at 11:17:59 PM
  • Daddy: There goes another trade. Congratulations to the trading teams.
    Yesterday at 11:20:39 PM
  • Daddy: Sky you old sly devil you. You been back on site 15 minutes :rofl:
    Yesterday at 11:21:27 PM
  • Sky: :) why wait. got players I like
    Yesterday at 11:22:17 PM
  • Brent: Sky, Welcome back.  PM sent.
    Yesterday at 11:29:45 PM
  • Daddy: I knew @Brent would approve.
    Yesterday at 11:30:47 PM
  • indiansnation: Im glad your guys dont like my minors exspecially this guy
    Today at 12:20:25 AM
  • indiansnation: Tugboat' joins lofty company on 15-K night Wilkinson twirls six hitless innings for Single-A Lynchburg
    Today at 12:20:31 AM
  • indiansnation: P   Matt Wilkinson
    Today at 12:21:09 AM
  • indiansnation: I love my indians pitchers cant wait to they make it to mlb roster
    Today at 12:21:57 AM
  • Daddy: I changed your name to the Guardians and i tried to change your profile name to Guardiansnation but it wouldn't let me.
    Today at 12:23:23 AM
  • indiansnation: [link]
    Today at 12:23:47 AM
  • dbreer23: 6'1" 270 lbs - ding, ding!
    Today at 12:23:49 AM
  • Daddy: You dinosaur
    Today at 12:23:52 AM
  • indiansnation: Guardians might bot draft great hitters but guardians have one of the best pitching farms in mlb
    Today at 12:24:46 AM
  • indiansnation: And he was draft in10th round in 2023 draft
    Today at 12:25:37 AM
  • Daddy: MLB LIVE all that matters. I'd rather win the LIVE Championship than see the Phillies win the WS #Factz
    Today at 12:26:23 AM
  • indiansnation: Thats why the vet gms pn this site do so good with their minors they spend alot of time reasearching
    Today at 12:26:58 AM
  • Daddy: I did one. I watched the other. Im a doing kind of guy first.
    Today at 12:27:13 AM
  • indiansnation: Well daddy dont get your hopes up this yr u ate not going to win it
    Today at 12:27:37 AM
  • Daddy: You have to research now. We eliminated the rules that allow people to hijack prospects because they think you smart but they dont know chit.
    Today at 12:29:11 AM
  • Daddy: You cant hide or be a poser. You gotta post up your own FAs and prospect finds.
    Today at 12:29:51 AM
  • indiansnation: Daddy  u just got traded to rangers for box of baseballs
    Today at 12:30:29 AM
  • Daddy: Unless you miss the famous PC +$200k bid :rofl:
    Today at 12:31:22 AM
  • Daddy: At least im worth baseballs Brian. You wanna know which kind of balls you worth my friend?
    Today at 12:32:14 AM
  • indiansnation: I got give daddy credit on that. It makes it so much easier. I spend hours at a time researching them and then another team tries to buy them
    Today at 12:32:18 AM
  • indiansnation: Nope i was told wiffel balls only ones at any value i could get in return
    Today at 12:32:57 AM
  • Daddy: Big ones Brian.
    Today at 12:33:02 AM
  • Daddy: Big Wiffle Balls
    Today at 12:33:17 AM