Author Topic: RC Vote Needed for the Following Proposal on Rookie Bonsuses  (Read 3257 times)

Brewers GM

RC Vote Needed for the Following Proposal on Rookie Bonsuses
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 02:25:16 PM »
Oh, I wasn't made aware and must have missed the thread. 

The only time I was contacted for my absence was by Colby and I was back on the boards within a few days... I will admit that I'm disappointed to hear this but understand if things were happening and I wasn't around to help out.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 02:27:30 PM by Brewers GM »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
Re: RC Vote Needed for the Following Proposal on Rookie Bonsuses
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »
Oh, I wasn't made aware and must have missed the thread. 

The only time I was contacted for my absence was by Colby and I was back on the boards within a few days... I will admit that I'm disappointed to hear this but understand if things were happening and I wasn't around to help out.

Consider yourself reinstated, so your vote counts.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Brewers GM

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 11:11:25 PM »
3.  Allow rookie bonuses to be spread out in the same manner as standard player contracts, BUT allow the rookies to retain all of the existing rights of rookies whose bonuses are not spread out (i.e. prospect extension rights, EDR, etc).

I'm not 100% clear on the benefit of #3 (or #4).  In the short-term, yes if you spread the bonus out it will give you more room in that year for a larger bonus.  However, the next year you'll have that much less cap space, and if you do this on a regular basis you're back at square one of having no room left because the space you should be saving for bonuses is already used up from prior years.  Am I missing something?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Brewers GM

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 11:18:52 PM »
Another thing I would like to suggest, and it was successful in Moneyball was an up and down minor league system. Allowing the movement of players from the 40 man to the minors (EDR) is an easy way of clearing cap without dropping players. And I know a few of us would like to replace some of the garbage in our EDR with what we consider useful prospects. Again just a suggestion.

A reminder that the EDR is not the equivalent of the minors, it is the Entry Draft Roster.

There are tons of players available in the minors for free that would be better bets than guys drafted after the first few rounds.  If you can clear up 'the garbage' on your EDR and fill it up players you add via FA then you'd be nuts not to do so and we'd render the draft obsolete.  You can't do that in MLB, those players are already on someone else's roster. 

The purpose of the EDR is to keep the entry draft relevant by giving a special exemption to those players you draft.  We decided it was important to preserve the draft, if you disagree with that I think it's a different discussion (but I don't believe that's your position).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:07:12 AM by Brewers GM »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

RC Vote Needed for the Following Proposal on Rookie Bonsuses
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 11:33:57 PM »
Not what I was saying, I was just making a suggestion since it worked rather well in Moneyball
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Brewers GM

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 12:46:16 AM »
Not what I was saying, I was just making a suggestion since it worked rather well in Moneyball

Fair enough, I'm not really familiar with that league.  Do they have a direct EDR equivalent, and has allowing non entry draft players to be placed there had any impact on the entry draft itself?  How many rounds of the entry draft are actually useful?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 04:22:13 PM »
Does this issue go away if we simply cut existing draft bonuses by 50%?  After further thought, the administrative burden of maintaining one salary cap for 30 teams is daunting enough let alone two.  Also, I believe that many teams can create the cap space by cutting impending free agents and players that might no longer be in the team's plans.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 05:29:28 PM »
Roy, that may work...it seems to be doing well in MB. I would vote for that.

Ben - to answer your question, it makes things a lot easier. We are currently in the second round of the first draft, but it was a big help during the season as I believe it facilitated trade activity as well as GM management.

Again, I will use myself as an example...in order to sign my first rounder I dropped four specs who I liked, yet had limitations to them. Had I been allowed to move them to my EDR roster (MILB - in MB) I could have created to room without dropping anyone. That would benefit my team in that I scouted the players dropped, but if given the choice I would have gladly removed them from my 40 man roster. This in my mind would have helped my team long term because, as I stated before, I valued those prospects even though they may have been fringy at best. It just gives a GM more choices I feel. By the time the end of the draft rolls around, most are checked out. This is also an easier way of managing funds.

A lot of the people in this league play in Moneyball, and there are certain aspects where that league is more fun, and more real.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Whoever takes over that expansion gets to name the team.
    Yesterday at 11:07:01 PM
  • Daddy: Probably four years before the actual NBA does it. To hell with 2028.
    Yesterday at 11:07:53 PM
  • Braves155: Las Vegas Gold Diggers
    Yesterday at 11:08:26 PM
  • Daddy: I dig it
    Yesterday at 11:10:25 PM
  • Bigdon: I am chicago right
    Yesterday at 11:29:29 PM
  • Daddy: Sign up Bigdon. Chicago is gone already.
    Yesterday at 11:36:50 PM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE [link] Pre-reserved sign up
    Yesterday at 11:37:29 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill switch for Vegas if he wants the bulls
    Yesterday at 11:39:17 PM
  • Daddy: Sounds good
    Yesterday at 11:43:59 PM
  • Daddy: I knew Vegas would be tempting :rofl:
    Yesterday at 11:44:25 PM
  • Daddy: He still needs to select NCAA
    Yesterday at 11:44:40 PM
  • Daddy: You get to name them sir. NBA LIVE will start with an expansion draft, followed by the rookie draft.
    Yesterday at 11:45:39 PM
  • Daddy: Vegas will get the #1 pick :toast:
    Yesterday at 11:46:07 PM
  • Daddy: Super Sonics #2 pick (insert eye emoji)
    Yesterday at 11:46:44 PM
  • Daddy: All subject to trade before the draft of course.
    Yesterday at 11:47:03 PM
  • Brent: With an expansion draft, does that mean we select x number of players on our roster to protect?
    Yesterday at 11:47:51 PM
  • Brent: Also, I might have missed it, but will it be a H2H cats or points league?
    Yesterday at 11:48:39 PM
  • Daddy: @Brent yes & @Brent CATs
    Yesterday at 11:49:36 PM
  • Daddy: It will all be in the handbook as per usual.
    Yesterday at 11:50:04 PM
  • Daddy: Think MLB LIVE hoop style only not quite as deep scoring in basketball.
    Yesterday at 11:51:08 PM
  • Daddy: We are trying something thats never been done to our knowledge.
    Yesterday at 11:53:06 PM
  • Brent: I like it.
    Yesterday at 11:54:07 PM
  • Daddy: No other basketball league in the world has a Vegas NBA team. Till tonight.
    Yesterday at 11:54:13 PM
  • Daddy: I thought you might. :)
    Yesterday at 11:54:45 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah got to figure a solid name out for it
    Yesterday at 11:55:35 PM
  • Daddy: Had a few good suggestions. Just dont be corny.. this represents all of us.
    Yesterday at 11:57:03 PM
  • Daddy: We are the first to give Vegas a suggestion. Lets let it be a good one. Make them take notice.
    Yesterday at 11:57:48 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah will research it a bit
    Yesterday at 11:57:58 PM
  • Daddy: One of the NHL signup sheets has 68k views? Thats ridiculous. Where all these people at? We should have 20k leagues.
    Today at 12:00:38 AM
  • Rhino7: I used to use Las Vegas Vipers as a team name
    Today at 12:04:13 AM
  • Daddy: NHL & NCAA have 100k views on the bullpen. Nobody ever looked at that thing. There should be a few more new accounts no? I mean what they looking for. Its a sign up sheet.
    Today at 12:04:17 AM
  • Daddy: Vipers works for me if it does you. Kinda goes with the logo i gave them.
    Today at 12:05:04 AM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah writing down the names sent out and adding a few I find/think of like Las Vegas Legacy and then will narrow them down
    Today at 12:06:47 AM
  • RyanJames5: Can I take the Sonics?
    Today at 12:07:14 AM
  • Brent: Vipers is cool.
    Today at 12:08:08 AM
  • Daddy: Yes sir
    Today at 12:08:19 AM
  • Daddy: I will tentatively put the Vipers until we launch fantrax
    Today at 12:08:59 AM
  • RyanJames5: Very fun idea to expand.
    Today at 12:09:36 AM
  • Daddy: Indeed sir, indeed. What College RJ?
    Today at 12:10:11 AM
  • RyanJames5: Gonzaga
    Today at 12:13:00 AM
  • Daddy: Roger that Zags
    Today at 12:14:13 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: im excited for this a properly run nba dynasty from scratch
    Today at 12:15:51 AM
  • RyanJames5: Thank you sir
    Today at 12:15:59 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: this is my first LIVE that i sstarted from beginning and didnt take over
    Today at 12:16:16 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: NHL and NBA excited to start those from scratch
    Today at 12:16:59 AM
  • Daddy: All the leagues are well run, we just have different ideas.
    Today at 12:17:35 AM
  • Daddy: There is nothing like virgin teams that nobody else has been into. You get to inherit todays rosters. Then take them into the future.
    Today at 12:18:36 AM
  • Daddy: Usually taking over a team is inheriting someones mess which is why it was open. In startup leagues that isnt an issue.
    Today at 12:19:25 AM
  • Daddy: I forgot to text Brian. :doh:
    Today at 12:21:02 AM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE Pre-Reserve sign up sheet [link] updated!
    Today at 02:31:32 AM