Author Topic: IP/Start limit for pitchers - RC needed  (Read 3132 times)

Dan Wood

Re: IP/Start limit for pitchers - RC needed
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 12:03:30 PM »
I dont like the 7 start limit restriction. It makes the 65 IP limit almost redundant.

Suppose each team uses up 7 start per week and the average start is 6 innings. Then, there are 65 - 7 * 6 = 23 IP for RPs.

Each team usually carried 6 RPs, that's 23 / 6 = 4 IP per RP. Extrapolate this to a whole season, thats 4IP * 24 weeks = 96 IP for a RP which almost never happens.

Howe, I do agree it is a little redundant, but I think we are all in agreement here that our main goal is to limit streaming. I think the best way to do that is to do a start as well as an innings limit cap. It is the closest thing to weekly set line ups that we can get. Since we are also all in agreement that it is necessary to keep daily line up changes for our hitters, I think this is the best we can do to achieve the best of both worlds.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 12:19:26 PM »
I am not comfortable with the impact of this change.

Assuming each start averages 6 innings and each RP pitches 2.5 innings on average, that's only 57 innings. Our cap last year was 85 innings. That's a 33% drop.

It was brought up in the pitching scoring discussion that any change should have limited impact. That principle should be applied to here as well.

Lastly, I am not here to protect my own interest. I only have 4 established SPs on my team.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 12:48:16 PM »
Yeah but with the numbers that you are throwing out, without a start limit, you can still throw 10 starters and still be under the limit...That is the classic definition of streaming
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 01:02:43 PM »
Dan, I understand your concern but you have not addressed the 33% impact of this proposal.

Another drawback of limiting starts is that what happens in one night can affect your team for a week. Imagine you have 2 starters exiting early on Monday, you might not be able to recover for that entire week. This is very different than real life where if a team has one bad night, it can always recover for subsequent games.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 01:07:57 PM »
Comes down to managing your bullpen just like Managers do...And I understand about the 33% decline, but 85 was a grotesquely large number to start with. But since we didn't have a point of reference it was better to start higher than lower, and then trim the fat.

And if one of your pitchers goes to pot, that is just bad luck. A batter can go 0 for the week. But how often does an ace really crap the bed? This also adds value to better pitchers, instead of tossing out the Jo Jo Reyes's of the world. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 01:18:19 PM »
Comes down to managing your bullpen just like Managers do...And I understand about the 33% decline, but 85 was a grotesquely large number to start with. But since we didn't have a point of reference it was better to start higher than lower, and then trim the fat.

And if one of your pitchers goes to pot, that is just bad luck. A batter can go 0 for the week. But how often does an ace really crap the bed? This also adds value to better pitchers, instead of tossing out the Jo Jo Reyes's of the world.

If the intent is to go to a lower limit, I would suggest maybe limit the # of starts to 8 or 9 this year before dropping to #7. This proposal will also significantly increase the value of swing men. So instead of throwing JoJo Reyes out there, teams will just be throwing out Luis Perez.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 01:58:10 PM »
But under normal circumstances a team would throw out a Luis Perez if their starter didn't go deep into a game. A team wouldn't throw JoJo Reyes esque players out 8-9 times a week. Swing men should have value, it's why Miguel Bautista is still pitching. The way we currently have it set up, RPs have almost zero value...limiting starts to 7 - and if you have a horse or two, chances are they are going 7...then you have another 5 starts left. Then if you have a decent pen, a team should have no worries.

We have been playing in this league for the past two years by throwing as much crap against the wall as possible, with no thought involved, and let the chips fall where they may. The new way of doing it (Ben would still be the tie breaker) puts more thought into constructing a staff. Raises the value of good RPs, and excellent starters. Starters will generally outscore RPs because they pitch more innings...therefore limiting the starts, in my mind is a necessity. And this argument was brought up last year, teams don't generally play more than 7 games a week. Making it nearly impossible for a MLB team to pitch 8 starters.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 02:11:13 PM »
Your arguments are pretty persuasive. I am at least more comfortable with the 7 start + 65 innings cap proposal but I still prefer the 65 ip for this year only to limit impact.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 02:20:38 PM »
I missed my calling as a Lawyer.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 10:03:02 AM »
I cant read and actually be interested in the whole conversation, I may try again later.  Has this been decided?  We voted on this already...can we stop beating the drum.  I am against an adjustment.  IF we adjust scoring to handicap pitching why should we limit starts and IP.  This is bad strategy.  Not all teams can start guys with names like some teams.  Instead of one Sabathia it is helpful to use jair and karstens.  We have set 40 man rosters.  The option to carry an extra starter has implications here as well. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Braves155: To see madness in action all you gotta do is look at all the moves Brian posts on a daily basis. He will flip half his team in 2 days or less in certain sports
    May 25, 2024, 08:50:02 PM
  • Braves155: PM Daddy
    May 25, 2024, 08:56:09 PM
  • Daddy: Back Braves :)
    May 25, 2024, 08:58:13 PM
  • Daddy: Congratulations gentlemen
    May 25, 2024, 08:58:55 PM
  • Daddy: Honestly i love the deal because my GMs love it. I dont say good deal bad deal or i like this side better.  My goal is to provide a fair platform where people are free to trade and not be judged because nobody knows for sure how these trades will play out. Lots of ACLs are gonna tear between now and new years.  Im always happy that two strangers with different backgrounds can meet in our league and enjoy freedom to be themselves and do what THEY THINK is best. I love every deal. (Had to share that @Braves) :toast:
    May 25, 2024, 09:15:31 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: trade made in fgm w me and braves
    May 25, 2024, 09:27:52 PM
  • Daddy: Nice! Getm FGM
    May 25, 2024, 09:42:14 PM
  • Daddy: THE Grandaddy of them all = FGM
    May 25, 2024, 09:43:08 PM
  • Braves155: Brian traded a Guardians prospect? What is this world coming to?
    May 25, 2024, 09:48:27 PM
  • indiansnation: Ok im looking for a rb,wr and te and im looking to move remaining picks in 2025
    May 25, 2024, 09:54:34 PM
  • indiansnation: I got 1st,2nd,4th and x2 5th rd picks
    May 25, 2024, 09:55:12 PM
  • indiansnation: Looking for starting,te and 1 more wr
    May 25, 2024, 09:56:08 PM
  • indiansnation: Lets get this done
    May 25, 2024, 09:56:21 PM
  • Brent: Still looking?
    May 25, 2024, 11:07:59 PM
  • Brent: Epcot Day
    Yesterday at 11:01:26 AM
  • Rhino7: Have fun, the Guardians of the Galaxy ride is awesome
    Yesterday at 11:12:42 AM
  • Daddy: Wow, Epcot is awesome!
    Yesterday at 01:01:03 PM
  • Daddy: Live yo life
    Yesterday at 01:01:43 PM
  • IndianaBuc: Oh how I love a rainstorm right before the race!!!
    Yesterday at 01:43:17 PM
  • Brent: Yeah, I rode it last time.  I got innthe queue this morning and got a 230pm time.
    Yesterday at 01:52:38 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: any golf fans in here the news on Grayson Murray is devastating and saddened to hear the cause of his sudden death
    Yesterday at 02:14:33 PM
  • Daddy: Sad news. Remember that there are lots of Grayson Murray's around the world daily that cant hit a golf ball.
    Yesterday at 03:01:47 PM
  • Daddy: Not to diminish his memory but i hope it draws more attention to those like him that happen to not be professional athletes.
    Yesterday at 03:02:28 PM
  • Daddy: I feel most for his parents. Ive lost a child at an adult age. Its terrible. To out live your child is terrible.
    Yesterday at 03:04:07 PM
  • Braves155: My heart goes out to any of those in here struggling.
    Yesterday at 03:10:53 PM
  • Braves155: I've battled alcoholism, addiction & self-harm issues in the past. Still a daily struggle but I try to keep my head up
    Yesterday at 03:12:03 PM
  • Daddy: You keep fighting Braves. You bring great joy to my life almost on the daily. Never give up.
    Yesterday at 03:15:54 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the day for any trade talks
    Yesterday at 03:45:33 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Same
    Yesterday at 03:50:50 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Yes daddy well said mental health should be talked about more
    Yesterday at 04:18:01 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: It really puts things into perspective
    Yesterday at 04:19:39 PM
  • Psychpop: @STLBlues91.  Who are you thinking of moving in a trade?
    Yesterday at 05:13:46 PM
  • Braves155: Looking to deal in any sport
    Yesterday at 05:18:11 PM
  • Braves155: PM Jwalker
    Yesterday at 05:19:33 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Back braves
    Yesterday at 05:24:45 PM
  • Braves155: Replied
    Yesterday at 05:29:09 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: jwalker pm
    Yesterday at 06:02:59 PM
  • Daddy: What two LIVE GMs will make the next deal? One thing i know for sure, the wait wont be long.
    Yesterday at 06:04:01 PM
  • Braves155: They like to come in bunches!
    Yesterday at 06:05:09 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: you might get one shortly if things progress
    Yesterday at 06:06:09 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: jwalker replied
    Yesterday at 06:19:35 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Back BAB
    Yesterday at 06:33:24 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: back at ya jwalker
    Yesterday at 06:34:01 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Daddy your wwait wont me much longer
    Yesterday at 07:39:35 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: deal abt to be posted here soon
    Yesterday at 07:39:43 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: there u have it teh 2 superbowl teams have made a deal
    Yesterday at 07:48:33 PM
  • Rhino7: :toast:
    Yesterday at 07:50:49 PM
  • dbreer23: Acuna to miss the rest of 2024 - torn ACL in left knee (last time was his right knee0
    Yesterday at 11:41:43 PM
  • jimw: Wow, he had said he thought it wasn't that serious.  I hope he can overcome these knee injuries
    Today at 12:41:59 AM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Jimw pm sent
    Today at 01:17:16 AM