Author Topic: VOTE - Weekly or Daily Lineups  (Read 4171 times)

Offline molinator

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • :RMA:
    • View Profile
Re: VOTE - Weekly or Daily Lineups
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 04:50:40 PM »
I vote daily. It makes the league more active  :thumbsup:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 06:41:20 PM »
Daily. Reasoning for it, is playing the match ups(Lind is a good example). What I don't agree with is streaming pitchers. We should be able to come up with some rule that everyone can agree on in regards to streaming SPs. For instance, Marcus Thames for the most part only plays against lefties, otherwise Brett Gradner plays left, and Granderson is in center. Against lefties Granderson sits, because he can't hit them to save his life. This is a managerial strategy. Pitching 7-10 sps a week, is yes a strategy, but not one that would be available to a major league manager. In fantasy it is just compiling stats, in a throwing crap up against a wall type of way. If the only way to curb this, is to go to weekly, then I reserve the right to change my vote to weekly. I don't see why we can't do a weekly inning limit. Most teams play 6 games a week. 6x9= 54. Our innings cap should be somewhere around there, IMO.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 07:31:43 PM »
With all due respect Corey, I think you're reaching to try and push towards daily and contradict yourself a number of times in this thread:

- For members who want to set there lineups weekly you still can just set it days in advance

The push for weekly lineups is to resolve the defensive and start limit issues that people were upset with last year, it is not meant to reduce an owners responsibility.

- Weekly lineups will make members less active. No not all members but some. No reason to sign in and check lineups

For starters, there is no lack of activity in this league during the season - it is one of the most active league's I've seen, and I don't think this change will detract from that (activity is due to trades and such here on the message boards, not necessarily fantrax activity).  Also, as you note below, the total prep time may still be similar.

- Take away any strategy of playing guys like Thome or Adam Lind only against right handed starters

It also adds strategy as you note below, as you need to look at an entire week's worth of match-ups when you decide on your lineup rather than just one day, and having additional depth will give you more options.

- Takes away the concept of depth. All you want is the best 5 sp's you can get. no need for back up catcher to play on off days. Just totally diminishes the depth concept.

There are so many uncertainties in baseball that injuries and under-performances WILL happen, and depth WILL be required.  Teams with depth will still have an advantage.  Show me a team that has their 5 best starters stay healthy and productive all season and I'll show you an owner that should be in Vegas...

- The league voted for no start limit (yes, i voted for one) but making weekly lineups completely abolishes the vote. Its pretty much a way around the league wide decision.

The league voted against a hard cap on starts - this is different, and teams with many two-start pitchers will still be able to rack up the starts.  Teams with depth at SP will have even more two-start pitchers to add to the lineup in place of a one-start guy.

- As Paul pointed out teams rest there players at the end. Weekly lineups would not be good toward the end. For example just this past year, I sat Texiera in the playoffs 3 times becomes Girardi was resting him. Weekly lineups would give me no player for that period. Not good.

So your would need to make a strategic decision at the start of the week whether or not to start him, and if your team had strong depth you might be able to get better total production out of someone else.

- It would completely change the way teams have strategized for there future. Example teams with much depth would now be handcuffed. They cant play there depth so in theory they wasted there money and should have just paid a stud more money.

I disagree - depth will still be important as I mentioned above.  Also, I do not expect there are more than a few teams in this scenario, and if push came to shove the trade market is so liquid that they could adjust accordingly (although I think trading away all depth would be a mistake, maybe some will disagree).

- Time. It is much easier to get one once a day for 10 minutes and look at your matchups than it is to do it once a week and research all your matchups for the whole week for all your players. Plus, if im setting my lineup on sunday, I might not know who the opposing pitcher is the following sunday and play the wrong guy. It would take an hour out of sundays to do the necessary research.

This contradicts your point of reducing activity and strategy...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:57:59 PM by Brewers GM »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 07:34:06 PM »
I voted weekly because it eliminates the defensive eligibility concerns, eliminates the opportunity for SP streaming which is not realistic, and in my opinion does not detract from the strategy or need for depth.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:36:54 PM by Brewers GM »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 07:36:15 PM »
Daily. Reasoning for it, is playing the match ups(Lind is a good example). What I don't agree with is streaming pitchers. We should be able to come up with some rule that everyone can agree on in regards to streaming SPs. For instance, Marcus Thames for the most part only plays against lefties, otherwise Brett Gradner plays left, and Granderson is in center. Against lefties Granderson sits, because he can't hit them to save his life. This is a managerial strategy. Pitching 7-10 sps a week, is yes a strategy, but not one that would be available to a major league manager. In fantasy it is just compiling stats, in a throwing crap up against a wall type of way. If the only way to curb this, is to go to weekly, then I reserve the right to change my vote to weekly. I don't see why we can't do a weekly inning limit. Most teams play 6 games a week. 6x9= 54. Our innings cap should be somewhere around there, IMO.

I completely agree with your point on steaming, but the league did vote against a start cap - I imagine the outcome for an innings cap might be similar...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline hank

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »
Daily: More control, more realistic.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
There are lies, there are outrageous lies, and there are statistics.
                                                                                --- Mark Twain

Canada8999

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 08:49:20 PM »
With all due respect Corey, I think you're reaching to try and push towards daily and contradict yourself a number of times in this thread:

Note that while I say this, I'll admit I am trying to push weekly but this is because I think we need to fix the highlighted defensive and streaming issues and this is a simple, no cost solution (at least no cost in my opinion, but it seems many disagree...)
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Online BHows

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :CIN-NFL:
    • :Kentucky:
    • :CIN:
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 09:18:50 PM »
Sorry, I must have slept through the pitching thing.
Didn't we agree that it took 10 starts to qualify as a SP? That would eliminate a lot of SP/RP. If a team wants to carry 10 SP's they do so at their own risk. In a 30 team league you would be very hard pressed to find 10 good ones. All it will do is take away roster spots for position players and we all know this is a hitters league.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2022 WCB2 Champions

itsmb8

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 11:10:32 PM »
daily. it gives more accurate lineups(as far as players who are playing) and a higher scoring matchup.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bravesfan4

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 12:35:55 AM »
Note that while I say this, I'll admit I am trying to push weekly but this is because I think we need to fix the highlighted defensive and streaming issues and this is a simple, no cost solution (at least no cost in my opinion, but it seems many disagree...)

No Ben you are wrong with all due respect. Do I want a start limit?...yes....but weekly lineups is NOT the way to do it. They're way to many negatives with weekly lineups. The only positive is curving the starts. I have listed many negatives. No way am i contradicting myself. The negatives of the weekly lineups far far out way the positive. You are right about one thing, I am pushing for daily lineups...for all the reasons I stated in my first post.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • TheGOAT: Not that hes bad
    May 17, 2024, 08:13:06 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: think rn my qb room is minshew dobbs wentz
    May 17, 2024, 08:22:37 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: We look forward to your return to the playoffs @Thegoat
    May 17, 2024, 08:22:51 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: You and your brother camw in guns blazing a few years back. The NFC is not the gauntlet the AFC is. Once you make the title game, all bets are off
    May 17, 2024, 08:23:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: nfc is still tough
    May 17, 2024, 08:25:23 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i had a tough road
    May 17, 2024, 08:25:37 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: to get to teh ship lot of good teams i knocked out
    May 17, 2024, 08:25:50 PM
  • Brent: Carr is OTB for those who don't want a rookie.
    May 18, 2024, 08:17:12 AM
  • Daddy: The NHL LIVE sign up sheet in the bullpen has nearly 87,000 views. Which is insane.
    May 18, 2024, 11:47:58 AM
  • Daddy: Whats more insane is we still have 3 open teams
    May 18, 2024, 11:48:37 AM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE [link] start new, start from today, sign up.
    May 18, 2024, 11:49:27 AM
  • indiansnation: Who is looking to trade in mlb live?
    May 18, 2024, 04:19:30 PM
  • Braves155: Sup guys. Will be around rest of afternoon
    May 18, 2024, 05:42:19 PM
  • dbreer23: Cubs in FGM looking to deal as the rebuild begins. See updated trade block. Thanks!
    May 18, 2024, 08:34:32 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: Dan PM
    May 18, 2024, 09:41:36 PM
  • indiansnation: Bayarea pm
    May 18, 2024, 11:49:06 PM
  • Daddy: Where did all the traffic go? We topped out at less than 170 Guests today at one time.
    Yesterday at 12:04:15 AM
  • Braves155: Responded Brian
    Yesterday at 12:04:57 AM
  • Daddy: When im talkin chit we get about 900 Guests :rofl:
    Yesterday at 12:07:03 AM
  • indiansnation: Bayarea new pm
    Yesterday at 12:22:37 AM
  • indiansnation: I wasnt on lol @daddy
    Yesterday at 12:23:17 AM
  • Daddy: Well its gon up to 183 & we can all use more Brian in our lives.
    Yesterday at 12:26:24 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Brian give me a second to look at your latest message. While we were talking had lost power here and only got it back later in the night
    Yesterday at 10:09:04 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Will respond back shortly
    Yesterday at 10:09:12 AM
  • Braves155: Morning guys
    Yesterday at 10:34:10 AM
  • Braves155: Who wanna talk deals?
    Yesterday at 10:47:10 AM
  • IndianaBuc: Braves155 PM
    Yesterday at 11:16:47 AM
  • Braves155: Responded
    Yesterday at 11:17:23 AM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Yesterday at 12:39:44 PM
  • Braves155: Responded indians
    Yesterday at 12:43:07 PM
  • dbreer23: Cubs are dealing in FGM, hit me up
    Yesterday at 12:59:38 PM
  • Braves155: Looking for an OF in FGM. IN Armchair looking to re-tool/rebuild a bit. Snell and others could be avail
    Yesterday at 01:09:11 PM
  • Braves155: PM Davew
    Yesterday at 01:23:10 PM
  • dbreer23: Brian CLE PM
    Yesterday at 01:49:57 PM
  • Braves155: PM BAB
    Yesterday at 03:29:20 PM
  • indiansnation: Bayareaballers pm trade posted in fgm
    Yesterday at 03:56:17 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves ill send u message soon
    Yesterday at 03:56:32 PM
  • indiansnation: Dbreer23 pm
    Yesterday at 03:58:46 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Yesterday at 04:35:11 PM
  • indiansnation: Watching boston kick the living crap out of cardinals
    Yesterday at 04:53:49 PM
  • Braves155: Great seeing the Knicks get schooled
    Yesterday at 06:37:35 PM
  • Rhino7: I agree, pacers will be a better match vs Celtics
    Yesterday at 07:02:21 PM
  • Braves155: But just like anytime Stephen A. gets hyped for the Knicks, they disappear in big games
    Yesterday at 07:08:00 PM
  • TheGOAT: Celtics would probably win it all
    Yesterday at 07:20:01 PM
  • Braves155: Looking forward to TWolves-Nuggets tonight
    Yesterday at 07:22:40 PM
  • TheGOAT: Around for trade talks in NFL Live
    Yesterday at 08:07:18 PM
  • Braves155: Likewise
    Yesterday at 08:22:40 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: What you looking for? @Thegoat?
    Yesterday at 11:01:43 PM
  • Rhino7: Down goes the Champs! Nuggs out
    Yesterday at 11:56:44 PM
  • Daddy: That Minnesota NBA LIVE team aint lookin too bad right now. Should be fun!
    Today at 12:00:46 AM