Author Topic: IMPORTANT: FREE AGENCY (RULES REVISED 1/29)  (Read 2306 times)

PlayerX3D

Re: IMPORTANT: FREE AGENCY (RULES REVISED 1/17)
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 05:49:17 PM »
No Trade Clauses certainly do add value to the player, and it does add a level of realism.  But I agree that they should be HEAVILY limited.  Because of the massive effect that the NTC can have on negotiations, they will most likely be used in almost every free agent bidding process if left unmitigated.  The negative externality that comes along with the realism is the fact that a substantial amount of players will come out of each free agency period with NTC's including every top tier player.  This is going to heavily restrict transactions within the league going forward.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chicubs33

Re: IMPORTANT: FREE AGENCY (RULES REVISED 1/17)
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 06:21:25 PM »
I know what it is I just didnt realize how they would work in the league. So I'm assuming a player offered a little less money but with a NTC/a longer NTC is gonna get rewarded to that team? A NTC is gonna have higher value over a few million dollars? (All depending on the amount.)
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline kenny

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 1
    • :Blank:
    • :Columbia:
    • View Profile
Re: IMPORTANT: FREE AGENCY (RULES REVISED 1/18)
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 06:48:15 PM »
There's a fine line between being realistic & fun and being too realistic & not fun. Because of the "carryover effect" in this league, we have to take into consideration the interest of future GMs as well as current ones. We can't let a bad GM destroy a team so much that new ones won't take them over. The first season hasn't started yet and I'm already looking for the 60th GM to join this league.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

PlayerX3D

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 06:59:11 PM »
There's a fine line between being realistic & fun and being too realistic & not fun. Because of the "carryover effect" in this league, we have to take into consideration the interest of future GMs as well as current ones. We can't let a bad GM destroy a team so much that new ones won't take them over. The first season hasn't started yet and I'm already looking for the 60th GM to join this league.

I agree completely with this assessment.  I'm all for realism, but No Trade Clauses will contribute zero activity to the league and will ultimately become a huge hindrance toward finding new GM's.

On another note, I'm shocked that there has been that much turnover.  Granted, there has not been a ton of activity in the off-season, but the GM's that I have dealt with so far have been top flight.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jrmatt73

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 08:40:56 PM »
I am neither really for or against the NTC, I just don't really see the point...

Yes in "real life" a player would prefer a NTC in their contract and would consider it more valuable. But in this league we are not negotiating with other people, we are simply bidding on a free agent with the highest bidder wining. Meaning there is no prefrence among free agents except total money. So because of this my understanding would be in order for a NTC to really have value it would need a monetary equivalent attached to it, that would not be a paid salary but would represent the weight a NTC would hold with a player and providing a benifit to the team. The team would not pay that amount but it would hold weight in negotiations.

I know this is written kind of confusing so here is a couple examples.

Example 1:
NTC has no value

Team A bid- 10 yrs $100 mil with a NTC
Team B bid- 10 yrs $105mil

Team B wins and is not stuck with a player for 10 years if they decide to go a different direction

Example 2
NTC is worth  the equivalent of $2mil/yr

Team A bid- 10 yrs $100mil with NTC
               (because of NTC, the offer is equivalent to $120 mil, but the team only has to pay a total of $100 mil. but is now stuck with the player for all 10 years unless they want to eat the salary)
Team B bid- 10 yrs $110 mil without a NTC

Team A wins in this example

This allows the NTC to hold some weight and also help the team out as well by saving on their salary cap. But because of limitations and the prospect of being stuck with a player for a long time with no way of getting rid of him means GM's must be judicious when handing them out.

Unless there is a real reason to give one out (ie. a salary cap break) I don't really see a need for them them. Why would a GM give one out if they aren't getting anything in return, they are only losing. It ties the team to a player, limits a rosters flexability and from a league wide standpoint will hurt transactions and activity.

We want this league to be as realistic as possible. In real life GM's don't just give out NTC from the goodness of their heart they give them because they are getting something in return (like getting a player to sign for less). I don't think there is a need to have them just because they do in MLB.   
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline kenny

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 08:58:12 PM »
The current league constitution already puts a value of $2M per year for the NTC.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jrmatt73

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 09:17:19 PM »
 Thanks Kenny, I should probably brush up lol. Haven't read it in a couple months
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline kenny

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 09:20:44 PM »
I will be updating the PDF file of the league constitution (hopefully) Saturday. It'll combine all the changes that have been made since the last publication, including what we decide on here.

I'm anticipating starting free agency early to middle of next week. The number of free agents per round will be increased due to the loss of this past week.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DVB78300

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 04:37:49 PM »
I know I'm joining the party a bit late; my opinion on full NTC's is that they are no good for Roto. I could see putting a partial NTC on free agent signees in the form of NTC61 (No Trade Clause/ No Wavier Clause till June 1) that would be June 1 of the year the player is signed, this helps control the way free agent signing is done in that you the GM has to make sure your signing someone you want and will use for at least the first half of the season, your not just signing someone to flip them on April 2 for a package that will have no effect on your squad for a few seasons. The player could still be DL'd within league rules and procedures, he just can't be traded or waived till June 1, the reason for June 1 is so that the signing team is making a commitment to field said player, but should they decide they would like to move him at or before the trade deadline they have roughly 2 months to do so.

A full no trade clause can become very crippling to a organization in Roto, unlike real life we do not have insurance policies with lords of london on our players, we can't afford to shelve a 40 million dollar bust & just add payroll to make up for that ill advised signing. a full NTC puts a huge burden of risk on the owner who if he/she makes to many of these errors & the squad becomes a tot al nightmare, they bail & we the league have to try to find a new owner whose willing to work with in a bad situation not of their doing. I've been doing Dynasty Leagues for a few years & I've seen guys taking over horrible squads & they very rarely last a season.

WEll this is my 2 cents on this subject.

Well that's my two cents on this subject
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

PlayerX3D

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 04:48:23 PM »
I know I'm joining the party a bit late; my opinion on full NTC's is that they are no good for Roto. I could see putting a partial NTC on free agent signees in the form of NTC61 (No Trade Clause/ No Wavier Clause till June 1) that would be June 1 of the year the player is signed, this helps control the way free agent signing is done in that you the GM has to make sure your signing someone you want and will use for at least the first half of the season, your not just signing someone to flip them on April 2 for a package that will have no effect on your squad for a few seasons. The player could still be DL'd within league rules and procedures, he just can't be traded or waived till June 1, the reason for June 1 is so that the signing team is making a commitment to field said player, but should they decide they would like to move him at or before the trade deadline they have roughly 2 months to do so.

A full no trade clause can become very crippling to a organization in Roto, unlike real life we do not have insurance policies with lords of london on our players, we can't afford to shelve a 40 million dollar bust & just add payroll to make up for that ill advised signing. a full NTC puts a huge burden of risk on the owner who if he/she makes to many of these errors & the squad becomes a tot al nightmare, they bail & we the league have to try to find a new owner whose willing to work with in a bad situation not of their doing. I've been doing Dynasty Leagues for a few years & I've seen guys taking over horrible squads & they very rarely last a season.

WEll this is my 2 cents on this subject.

Well that's my two cents on this subject

:iatp:

I agree 1000%.  In the current scenario, I would envision every single Blue Chip free agent being hit with a No Trade Clause to keep salaries down.  This would mean that Pujols, Fielder, Reyes, Cano, etc. etc. would all be locked onto a roster for half a decade.  And then next year it would happen to several more, and so on and so on until almost every major player is locked on a roster.  It seems like there is no benefit to the league in having these in place since it would do nothing but stymie all transactions moving forward.  For what it's worth, my vote is on the elimination of NTCs or at the very least adding extreme limitations to them.

It could be my obsession with trading players, but I wanted to second Doug's thoughts on this matter.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • BayAreaBallers: i did so many moves trades and draft that i honestly dunno
    May 17, 2024, 06:18:48 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: This is the way
    May 17, 2024, 06:21:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I could teach how I did what I did
    May 17, 2024, 07:33:36 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around for a few hours today. Wont be around tomorrow until late
    May 17, 2024, 07:37:07 PM
  • TheGOAT: Thank God that there are 3 really good qb options in the draft. Can't imagine a world with Bo Nix as my frachise qb
    May 17, 2024, 08:12:51 PM
  • TheGOAT: Not that hes bad
    May 17, 2024, 08:13:06 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: think rn my qb room is minshew dobbs wentz
    May 17, 2024, 08:22:37 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: We look forward to your return to the playoffs @Thegoat
    May 17, 2024, 08:22:51 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: You and your brother camw in guns blazing a few years back. The NFC is not the gauntlet the AFC is. Once you make the title game, all bets are off
    May 17, 2024, 08:23:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: nfc is still tough
    May 17, 2024, 08:25:23 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i had a tough road
    May 17, 2024, 08:25:37 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: to get to teh ship lot of good teams i knocked out
    May 17, 2024, 08:25:50 PM
  • Brent: Carr is OTB for those who don't want a rookie.
    Yesterday at 08:17:12 AM
  • Daddy: The NHL LIVE sign up sheet in the bullpen has nearly 87,000 views. Which is insane.
    Yesterday at 11:47:58 AM
  • Daddy: Whats more insane is we still have 3 open teams
    Yesterday at 11:48:37 AM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE [link] start new, start from today, sign up.
    Yesterday at 11:49:27 AM
  • indiansnation: Who is looking to trade in mlb live?
    Yesterday at 04:19:30 PM
  • Braves155: Sup guys. Will be around rest of afternoon
    Yesterday at 05:42:19 PM
  • dbreer23: Cubs in FGM looking to deal as the rebuild begins. See updated trade block. Thanks!
    Yesterday at 08:34:32 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: Dan PM
    Yesterday at 09:41:36 PM
  • indiansnation: Bayarea pm
    Yesterday at 11:49:06 PM
  • Daddy: Where did all the traffic go? We topped out at less than 170 Guests today at one time.
    Today at 12:04:15 AM
  • Braves155: Responded Brian
    Today at 12:04:57 AM
  • Daddy: When im talkin chit we get about 900 Guests :rofl:
    Today at 12:07:03 AM
  • indiansnation: Bayarea new pm
    Today at 12:22:37 AM
  • indiansnation: I wasnt on lol @daddy
    Today at 12:23:17 AM
  • Daddy: Well its gon up to 183 & we can all use more Brian in our lives.
    Today at 12:26:24 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Brian give me a second to look at your latest message. While we were talking had lost power here and only got it back later in the night
    Today at 10:09:04 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Will respond back shortly
    Today at 10:09:12 AM
  • Braves155: Morning guys
    Today at 10:34:10 AM
  • Braves155: Who wanna talk deals?
    Today at 10:47:10 AM
  • IndianaBuc: Braves155 PM
    Today at 11:16:47 AM
  • Braves155: Responded
    Today at 11:17:23 AM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Today at 12:39:44 PM
  • Braves155: Responded indians
    Today at 12:43:07 PM
  • dbreer23: Cubs are dealing in FGM, hit me up
    Today at 12:59:38 PM
  • Braves155: Looking for an OF in FGM. IN Armchair looking to re-tool/rebuild a bit. Snell and others could be avail
    Today at 01:09:11 PM
  • Braves155: PM Davew
    Today at 01:23:10 PM
  • dbreer23: Brian CLE PM
    Today at 01:49:57 PM
  • Braves155: PM BAB
    Today at 03:29:20 PM
  • indiansnation: Bayareaballers pm trade posted in fgm
    Today at 03:56:17 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves ill send u message soon
    Today at 03:56:32 PM
  • indiansnation: Dbreer23 pm
    Today at 03:58:46 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Today at 04:35:11 PM
  • indiansnation: Watching boston kick the living crap out of cardinals
    Today at 04:53:49 PM
  • Braves155: Great seeing the Knicks get schooled
    Today at 06:37:35 PM
  • Rhino7: I agree, pacers will be a better match vs Celtics
    Today at 07:02:21 PM
  • Braves155: But just like anytime Stephen A. gets hyped for the Knicks, they disappear in big games
    Today at 07:08:00 PM
  • TheGOAT: Celtics would probably win it all
    Today at 07:20:01 PM
  • Braves155: Looking forward to TWolves-Nuggets tonight
    Today at 07:22:40 PM