Author Topic: A thought for the upcoming season  (Read 1686 times)

Offline snugerud

• League Moderator
  • MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
  • I am the ghost of fantasy hockey past
    • :NE:
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
A thought for the upcoming season
« on: February 10, 2012, 10:17:50 AM »
What would people think if we were allowed to send one players to the minors that weren't necessarily a minor leaguer.   Similar how a team in the NHL and send a player with a one contract to the AHL. 

The player would have to clear waivers to be placed in the minors (if claimed the claiming team would assume 50% of their contract. ) (if unclaimed they are placed in the minors and you see a 50% reduction in cap hit) and if recalled would need to pass through waivers again.

This is similar to the NHL's waiver and claiming system.  It would be a fun concept since there are advantages and disadvantages to placing them in the minors.  As an advantage you have a way of getting cap relief without actually completely dropping the player.  As a Disadvantage you are taking the risk of someone claiming them, especially in a recall situation which most likely would be happening when they are playing better and you are risking losing the player with no compensation.

Just as an example from my own team Cammallari.  Playing like crap.  I really dont want to give up on him but also really dont like his 6 million salary for the next 3 years.  I would love to have a way to possible stow him away should he start playing like he should. but then I would be taking a big risk on recalling him since more than likely someone would claim him and still be stuck with his 3 million.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline Rob

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
Re: A thought for the upcoming season
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 10:47:57 AM »
I've thought about this quite a bit since we started our unique waiver system.  I'm 50/50 on it.  On one hand, it is more accurate to what the NHL does, which I like.  On the other hand, from the start I have favored a stricter approach to handling salaries.  I like the salary cap itself to be a very important element to how we run our teams.  And, inserting ways to circumvent our cap situations takes away from the strategy of dealing with the cap.  We all picked our teams and knew what bad and good contracts we were inheriting, and moving forward we make trades, sign extensions and hire FA's to help our teams.  If we make bad deals I feel we should have to suffer the consequences.  I took on the Bruins with Chara signed at $7m until he's 41 years old.  In a few years when he slows down it doesn't seem fair that I should be able to bury his contract in my minors, even if that takes away a roster position I could give to a young player. 

While it is true to what the NHL does, in reality the teams that move players via waivers to their minors are still paying these players even if they're not effecting their cap.  Where for us the money would just disappear. 

That's where I stand on it, on the fence but leaning towards no change.  I'm happy to make this change if a majority of the league wants it.  So let's hear some opinions.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline snugerud

• League Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 10:59:59 AM »
I am not suggesting we can completely bury the salary since I am with you and not being able to easily escape bad contracts. 

My suggested idea would still see us on the hook for 50% of their salary no matter if they are on the minor roster or if someone claims them. 

The idea of being completely free from their salary is actually not inline with the NHL since they still need to pay the player that has been demoted but typically at a reduced amount. 

I did have a 2nd idea of a buy out option.  At the start of the season teams are given the ability to buy out a players contract at a slightly reduced rate.  That way if I have more cap space one year I could use that option instead of having to pay for it for 3 years.  That way you suck for 1 year instead of 3 years.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline Rob

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 11:10:53 AM »
I am not suggesting we can completely bury the salary since I am with you and not being able to easily escape bad contracts. 

My suggested idea would still see us on the hook for 50% of their salary no matter if they are on the minor roster or if someone claims them. 

The idea of being completely free from their salary is actually not inline with the NHL since they still need to pay the player that has been demoted but typically at a reduced amount. 

I did have a 2nd idea of a buy out option.  At the start of the season teams are given the ability to buy out a players contract at a slightly reduced rate.  That way if I have more cap space one year I could use that option instead of having to pay for it for 3 years.  That way you suck for 1 year instead of 3 years.

Ahh I misread that.  Giving a reduction to the cap hit instead of burying it would be better. 

I'm not opposed to a buyout option.  What would be a reasonable rate for the buyout?  The current year + 50% of the remaining years?  Or we could scale it so that years in the future get cheaper.  Something like:

Current year + 50% of following year + 25% of the remaining years

This would still make it tough to get out of a Chara contract, but would give teams the some flexibility with shorter/cheaper deals. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline snugerud

• League Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
Current year + 50% of following year + 25% of the remaining years

:winner:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline Gilly

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 5
    • :TOR-NHL:
    • :TOR-MLS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 05:57:13 PM »
I love the buy out idea...it would give rebuilding teams like myself a chance to rid of someone like Jay Over Priced Boumeester and save a little bit of cap since he does diddly for the team...every little bit of cap helps :)
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline GypsieDeathBringer

• League Moderator
  • MVP
    • :DAL:
    • :ORL:
    • :Pittsburgh:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 04:42:05 PM »
I am pro both of those concepts as they are both used by the NHL.  Capgeek actually has a buyout calculator you can use.  Their system (maybe the NHL's system) spreads out the remaining contract amount over the number of years the contract was signed.  Under our proposed rules would we have to pay it all upfront?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2011-12 Dynasty NHL Champion :CAR-NHL:
[Dynasty NHL :PIT-NHL:]
[ProFSL Dynasty Hockey :PIT-NHL:]

Offline Rob

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 04:44:47 PM »
I am pro both of those concepts as they are both used by the NHL.  Capgeek actually has a buyout calculator you can use.  Their system (maybe the NHL's system) spreads out the remaining contract amount over the number of years the contract was signed.  Under our proposed rules would we have to pay it all upfront?

That was my thought, but it's all up for debate right now.  If we do decide to spread it out I would prefer to limit the number of years it can be spread out to 3 or so. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline cho34

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 5
    • :Hawaii:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 08:17:02 PM »
That was my thought, but it's all up for debate right now.  If we do decide to spread it out I would prefer to limit the number of years it can be spread out to 3 or so.

:iatp:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

SizzRat

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
My one fear is that somebody may not have the cap space to pay for a player, but they don't want anyone else to have them, so they'll just sign the player and stuff them in the minors.

I mean, if I saw a team in my division was bidding on Henrik Lundqvist and I really didn't want him to go there, but I couldn't really afford him - who's to say I don't bid just to drive the asking price up, and if I win him, just stuff him the minors?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: We got Fat traders... Skinny traders... We got wee little traders & Giant ego traders. Our slogan? "We be trading Crap nonstop".
    Yesterday at 09:43:18 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Yesterday at 10:13:45 PM
  • Braves155: Replied
    Yesterday at 11:00:36 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Daddy message on fantrax
    Today at 02:29:05 AM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Today at 09:08:41 AM
  • TheGOAT: Are you posting jmntl?
    Today at 10:42:38 AM
  • TheGOAT: nevermind
    Today at 10:46:33 AM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Which 2025 1st is being moved? Im assuming Detroit original
    Today at 10:53:10 AM
  • TheGOAT: I believe it is the Detroit's original one
    Today at 11:05:54 AM
  • jmntl82: Yeah the original
    Today at 11:24:30 AM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Roger
    Today at 11:54:51 AM
  • Daddy: Welp... There goes my draft picks boyz. Hit me up next year. :)
    Today at 12:45:22 PM
  • jmntl82: Is there a trade addiction meeting somewhere I can sign up for?
    Today at 01:02:23 PM
  • jmntl82: It has been one hour ish since my last trade
    Today at 01:02:36 PM
  • Daddy: Looking at our recent transactions you too need therapy. The trade addiction pandemic is real.
    Today at 01:04:51 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Lmaoo I think I got the case of briantradeitis
    Today at 02:38:04 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: After what Ive been doing in NHL live
    Today at 02:38:18 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around all day. Will be on the SS later doing some matching but always around
    Today at 02:39:13 PM
  • Daddy: We havent hit the official start date but NHL LIVE is up and running, fully functional with 28 pre-signed owners. Weve got 4 open teams despite over 100,000+ views on just the bullpen sign up sheet.
    Today at 02:46:34 PM
  • Daddy: Once teams are gone, they are gone.
    Today at 02:47:29 PM
  • Daddy: Focus now goes to NCAA LIVE >> NBA LIVE >> NCAA Hoops LIVE
    Today at 02:48:24 PM
  • Daddy: Thats 160 teams in case you were wondering. Across 2 sports. Impossible? Just watch.
    Today at 02:49:56 PM
  • OUDAN: Soooooo ready for NCAA and NBA. Ive never been in an NCAA league that worked but I trust you
    Today at 03:00:41 PM
  • Daddy: And i will not let you down sir. On my everything i will not let you down. :toth:
    Today at 03:34:14 PM
  • Bigdon: Has nba live started yet
    Today at 04:45:48 PM
  • Daddy: You will see it in fantrax once it starts. We are at the "pre" signup stage. Just got the boards up.
    Today at 04:50:52 PM
  • Daddy: Setting up leagues from scratch takes a little time. Took a few months to get NHL set up correctly and operational.
    Today at 04:52:25 PM
  • Daddy: MLB & NFL were switch over leagues. They already had most of the structures in place. NHL is the first true LIVE league done from scratch.
    Today at 04:53:51 PM
  • STLBlues91: When do you need Vegas name for NBA Live?
    Today at 04:56:01 PM
  • Daddy: When i set up fantrax. Need the name and logo by then. Seattle was easy. Vegas we are on our own.
    Today at 04:58:58 PM
  • Daddy: So by July 1
    Today at 04:59:31 PM
  • Daddy: NBA is "easiest" of all of the leagues to set up and moderate.
    Today at 05:00:09 PM
  • Daddy: NHL watch a bitch. All those dudes. I know about guys playing hockey in Iceland now. Too much information.
    Today at 05:00:53 PM
  • Daddy: Was a bitch :rofl:
    Today at 05:01:10 PM
  • Daddy: I know about 16 year old hockey players now. It was a great learning experience. I thought i knew hockey.
    Today at 05:03:59 PM
  • Daddy: Huge NHL LIVE trade. The first BLOCKBUSTER
    Today at 05:59:00 PM
  • Daddy: Connor McDavid comes to Broad St. :)
    Today at 05:59:23 PM
  • Daddy: Lead us great Connor. Lead us to Dynasty Glory. :win: im counting on you eh.
    Today at 06:00:31 PM
  • Bigdon: Nba live i.have chicago that's awesome thanks
    Today at 06:02:13 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy its 5pm and the flyers still suck
    Today at 06:02:47 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah but my Flyers suck with Connor McDavid.
    Today at 06:04:15 PM
  • Daddy: Dont hate me cuz im beautiful.
    Today at 06:04:34 PM
  • Daddy: After a blockbuster trade, you know the feeling. I could get hit by thrown monkey poop right now and im still smiling while i eat a banana.
    Today at 06:06:48 PM
  • Daddy: Who you got? Isnt Sidney Crosby coaching team Canada in the upcoming Olympics?
    Today at 06:07:44 PM
  • Daddy: Ever seen Harlem Knights Brian? "" Dddddon't ttttake thththis Aaaaasssss whupin Ppppersonal" -Jack Jenkins
    Today at 06:12:51 PM
  • Daddy: [link] for you. :)
    Today at 06:14:34 PM
  • STLBlues91: @Daddy can you check the message I just sent. Quick question
    Today at 09:14:25 PM
  • Daddy: Replied
    Today at 09:48:39 PM
  • Daddy: If members do not mind, deleting old pms helps the site run smoother and keeps your pms organized.
    Today at 10:07:23 PM
  • Daddy: Nobody gets more pms than i do. I stay deleting and still have pages and pages of pms
    Today at 10:08:11 PM