Author Topic: Question  (Read 1251 times)

Jake

Question
« on: August 02, 2011, 10:32:22 PM »
A question for someone who is more familiar with the waiver process in the real MLB:

Do teams typically discuss players before said teams put a player on waivers or claim him? Is that allowed?

I guess I'm looking for proper protocol here, as I might be interested in a couple players on waivers, yet it seems I would want a deal in place before I make a claim, so I'm not necessarily just getting dumped on.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 10:39:05 PM »
A question for someone who is more familiar with the waiver process in the real MLB:

Do teams typically discuss players before said teams put a player on waivers or claim him? Is that allowed?

I guess I'm looking for proper protocol here, as I might be interested in a couple players on waivers, yet it seems I would want a deal in place before I make a claim, so I'm not necessarily just getting dumped on.

The answer is no, but apparently it is allowed here.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jake

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 10:47:42 PM »
Alright, ill play by the real MLB code then. Just wanted clarification. :taco:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MillerTime

• Legend
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 10:42:47 AM »
The answer is no, but apparently it is allowed here.

I don't agree with this.  Names are floated all of the time, baseball executives talk. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' - Homer Simpson

Jake

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 10:51:04 AM »
Rob, is there a way to 'prove' this? Are we sure it isn't the media creating targets they claim to hear from 'executives who do not wish to be named'?

I mean, do GM's really discuss these things like they do normal trades?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Corey

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 11:08:23 AM »
It makes sense. Most real life waiver deals are a low spec and cash for the player.  Teams will call and be like how muchvare youvwilling to pay. Its obvious and to me makes common sense of thats how it works.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 04:16:50 PM »
I just read a MLB article whereby the waiving team promised the team that claimed the player that they would eat a portion of the waived player's salary and later reneged.  This process is definitely one of buyer beware, because Colby could not force (nor should he) the team waiving the player to live up to whatever bargain they had with the team claiming the player.  That is why whether or not these discussions happen in real life is a moot topic here.  Teams in real life LIE.  Just ask the Yankees who thought they had a deal with the Rangers last year for Cliff Lee.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Flash

• *ProFSL Staff
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 319
    • :SFO:
    • :GS:
    • :SJ:
    • :California:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :SF:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 01:12:07 AM »
I just read a MLB article whereby the waiving team promised the team that claimed the player that they would eat a portion of the waived player's salary and later reneged.  This process is definitely one of buyer beware, because Colby could not force (nor should he) the team waiving the player to live up to whatever bargain they had with the team claiming the player.  That is why whether or not these discussions happen in real life is a moot topic here.  Teams in real life LIE.  Just ask the Yankees who thought they had a deal with the Rangers last year for Cliff Lee.

Then, with this scenario in mind, are any of us willing to "lie" to another member of this league?  Are we really going to risk getting kicked out of the league because we want to dump a bad contract?  Are any of us really going to make a trade agreement and then back out and leave another league member holding the bag?    I think all of us would agree that there is an expected level of integrity in this league, rules or no rules.  We all play this for our own personal enjoyment and we all know our activity is monitored by the Commish, the Rules Committee, the Trade Committee, and other members of the league.  Do we really have to worry about someone being a total "j... a..?"

Someone spoke of being naive in another post, and maybe I am, but in this league I see a lot of mutual respect and common sense.  That's why we have to petition to get into this league. 

Again, I don't see anything wrong with behind the scenes negotiations.  Do we really have to put a gag on the very thing that is continually going on during the season?  Isn't that why we have trade blocks?  Don't we all continually send PMs inquiring about the availability of a player or propose countless trade scenarios?  I don't see how can now say waivers should be conducted in a vacuum. 

If we didn't have a salary cap I wouldn't have to worry about taking on any contact.  I could claim anyone I wanted because we're not dealing with real money.  MLB owners worry about getting stuck with contracts because that is money out of their profits.  Our salary caps and roster limits serve the same purpose.  However, in the final analysis, we are a self-regulating body who needs to keep our rules from choking away our fun. 

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 2021 FGM World Series Champion - :SF:
🏆 2017 WCB2 World Series Champion - :SD:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Mt West Champion :UNLV:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Big 10 Champion -  :Nebraska:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Pac-12 Champion :California:

joeshmoe

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 09:48:34 AM »
Does it really matter?  With the waiver process it doesn't really make a big difference because you either have to trade with them or nobody, so you cannot drive the price up, so to speak.  We just need to make all deals final, you cannot dump it.  I don't really get the problem I guess.  I don't get how you are arguing for allowing GM's to turn face, Roy. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 11:15:28 AM »
Does it really matter?  With the waiver process it doesn't really make a big difference because you either have to trade with them or nobody, so you cannot drive the price up, so to speak.  We just need to make all deals final, you cannot dump it.  I don't really get the problem I guess.  I don't get how you are arguing for allowing GM's to turn face, Roy.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.  I was just warning GMs that in my personal opinion the Commissioner should not get involved with gentleman's agreements between two owners during the waiver process.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Braves155: Speaking of NHL. Anyone up for an NHL LIVE deal?
    Yesterday at 04:05:16 PM
  • Braves155: PM Blues
    Yesterday at 04:07:53 PM
  • Brent: I am.  I read up on stuff today, I think I have a direction for my Predators.
    Yesterday at 04:23:17 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Im here for NFL Live. I get the trade itch every day but ive been suppressing it. Waiting for someone to make me submit to the madness again
    Yesterday at 04:48:32 PM
  • Braves155: Pm there buddy
    Yesterday at 04:53:17 PM
  • Braves155: PM as well dbreer
    Yesterday at 04:58:57 PM
  • dbreer23: replied Braves
    Yesterday at 05:10:11 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: PM Braves
    Yesterday at 05:31:50 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey guys whats up
    Yesterday at 05:31:53 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: NHL LIVE FOLKS sharks have zadina otb any interest message me ask is prospects and picks
    Yesterday at 05:32:27 PM
  • indiansnation: Lets talk trade
    Yesterday at 05:32:30 PM
  • indiansnation: Indians mlb live looking to trade
    Yesterday at 05:37:05 PM
  • indiansnation: Nfl live colts looking for starting rb
    Yesterday at 05:37:24 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Yesterday at 05:38:39 PM
  • indiansnation: ldsjayhawks pm
    Yesterday at 05:38:48 PM
  • Daddy: Oh Crap. Trade winds blowing like P Diddy sponsored them.
    Yesterday at 05:45:23 PM
  • Daddy: Flyers, Rams, Blue Jays, 76ers have responded to all inquiries. Not that my inbox gets flooded with offers. My teams all stink.
    Yesterday at 05:47:35 PM
  • Daddy: T Wolves loaded but its too early yet. Cant wait for NBA.
    Yesterday at 05:49:02 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Yesterday at 07:25:36 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy pm
    Yesterday at 07:28:41 PM
  • Daddy: Back Brian
    Yesterday at 07:39:44 PM
  • indiansnation: Back daddy
    Yesterday at 07:47:43 PM
  • Daddy: I want to trade in NBA LIVE too. Its just the baby stages and we dont even know the summer player movement yet. Rosters will look different by the time of the draft.
    Yesterday at 07:54:55 PM
  • Daddy: Its exciting. Only CCD remains active in basketball. Ive seen LOR fail here but get picked up elsewhere and i guess its ok.
    Yesterday at 07:56:11 PM
  • Daddy: They all pretty much use the same format. NBA LIVE we feel weve revolutionized todays Dynasty basketball standards.
    Yesterday at 07:57:00 PM
  • Daddy: Cant wait to trade but weve got 11 owners to find and an entire summer of movement to track.
    Yesterday at 07:58:52 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm offer sent
    Yesterday at 07:58:55 PM
  • Daddy: Lots of traffic onsite. Weve been near 1000 visitors all day. Im told they find out chat entertaining. Thats funny. If you are visiting and see this chat.
    Yesterday at 08:02:20 PM
  • Daddy: Welcome to ProFsl. We do Fantasy "Dynasty" Sports here & we do it better than anyone else.
    Yesterday at 08:03:08 PM
  • Daddy: Better than your site. Better than your Leagues. Better than anyone else ever cared to do it. Legends of dynasty sports have and continue to play here
    Yesterday at 08:04:12 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 post it
    Yesterday at 08:11:03 PM
  • Daddy: If you like fantasy sports but all you do is read the chat. You got no clue what you are missing out on.
    Yesterday at 08:13:21 PM
  • Daddy: We are why you bothered to try fantasy sports. We give you everything you need here to live out your dynastic fantasy dreams. Against real world wide competition.
    Yesterday at 08:14:32 PM
  • Braves155: Nice dealing Brian, posted
    Yesterday at 08:22:53 PM
  • indiansnation: Still looking to make trades in mlb live if anyone is up for it
    Yesterday at 11:45:44 PM
  • Daddy: Im looking for an SP. We all value pitching in LIVE.
    Today at 12:01:51 AM
  • Daddy: Bradish! :soapbox: your elbow may cost me everything.
    Today at 12:02:55 AM
  • indiansnation: Man thats gotta suck
    Today at 12:41:47 AM
  • indiansnation: i think i mentioned that to u daddy u lack debth in sp
    Today at 12:42:27 AM
  • indiansnation: Looking to trade in mlb live
    Today at 12:45:05 AM
  • Daddy: Shut up Brian
    Today at 01:32:49 AM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for a few hours for any trade talk
    Today at 02:15:20 AM
  • indiansnation: Happy fathers day
    Today at 07:26:56 AM
  • indiansnation: Morning dave w jimw
    Today at 08:22:53 AM
  • indiansnation: Nhllive pittsburgh has 5th rd pick and 4th rd pick in 2025 to move
    Today at 08:23:54 AM
  • indiansnation: Looking for guys with upside def and rw
    Today at 08:24:28 AM
  • DaveW: Happy Father’s Day everyone
    Today at 10:40:13 AM
  • indiansnation: Looking to aquire more vets in mlb live
    Today at 12:59:03 PM
  • Daddy: Happy Father's Day (shot out to @papps/@jojowalkwalk)
    Today at 01:30:04 PM
  • dbreer23: Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!
    Today at 01:32:16 PM