Author Topic: Tremendous Amounts of Cap Space  (Read 1475 times)

Offline GypsieDeathBringer

• League Moderator
  • MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :DAL:
    • :ORL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :Pittsburgh:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
Tremendous Amounts of Cap Space
« on: April 22, 2015, 12:39:19 PM »
Bullet Point Preface To Fix Cap:
  • Too much cap space ruins free agency
  • I like to tinker
  • Have a minimum contract signing of 500k (excluding prospects)
  • Prospects count 500k when on NHL roster
  • Maybe raise defenseman salaries a bit
  • Reduce the extension of prospects from 5 years to 3
  • Get rid of free buyouts of contracts under 1m

I'm looking around trying to scope out the free agent market, and there isn't one.  Basically every single team will be able to retain their UFA with ease.  Maybe the only team that will have difficulty is the Coyotes.  I was a big proponent of reducing D-man salaries to make what they earn more commiserate with how they produce in fantasy terms, but now that has left a gaping hole that kind of ruins free agency.  When we started and had to deal with the real life terrible contracts from the NHL it resulted in good fantasy free agents being snapped up at a bargain. It made sense back then to reduce the D-man salaries, so guys like Jason Spezza were not contracted for 2m a season.  I think bumping their salaries back up a bit might be what we need. 
As well as getting rid of 200k contracts, no more free buyouts under 1m.  The NHL minimum salary is 550k, so we could make ours 500k.  Might make 1m of difference for each team, but it is something. 
I like our prospects getting signed at a discounted rate, as that acts like the current "bridge contract" theme in the NHL, but we might want to bring the number of years down to 3 instead of 5. 
We have almost no bad contracts because we pay what the players earn.  Hartnell and Neal are guys that are over priced, but that is pretty much it.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2011-12 Dynasty NHL Champion :CAR-NHL:
[Dynasty NHL :PIT-NHL:]
[ProFSL Dynasty Hockey :PIT-NHL:]

Offline Rob

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :NE:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
Re: Tremendous Amounts of Cap Space
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 01:00:31 PM »
There are a few teams that are close to cap jail.  But I do see your point. Let's wait and see how extensions play out and where teams are at cap wise after that. I like all of your possible solutions except getting rid of free buyouts. Also not sure about raising dmen. I just worry that FA will be packed with dmen if we do that.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline snugerud

• League Moderator
  • MVP
  • I am the ghost of fantasy hockey past
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 01:56:09 PM »
I agree with Gypsie on this.   I like the ideas and would add in , rather than just increase the dmen (since I think their contracts are in proportion to what they typically bring in way of FPTS, when compared to forwards ) maybe we should consider a 10/15 or 20% increase in extensions costs across the board. 

My take on a well balanced extension system is doing an extension should be a hard choice since you get to keep the player with no risk of them being bid on by other teams,  in a fantasy based game , my personal preference is that the majority of players on ending contracts should end up in FA with only the diamonds being given an extension. 
Remember when I was trying to do trades for rental players?  If not, I do.  There are no rental players for the playoffs because extensions are too easy of a choice. 
I realize we dont want to take it too far and turn it into a keeper league where teams end up with only 5 returning players each year but a bit more turnover would be nice and bring more parity. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline Rob

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 02:01:22 PM »
I'm using voice here so pardon the grammatical mistakes. I agree with everything you guys are saying in a vacuum, however, just last year I had to make a lot of tough decisions on my roster. I traded away pretty much all my best players in order to feel the team under the cap. so I'm not completely convinced that we have an issue here but I would like to see what things look like after extensions and if you're right you're right I'll make some changes for sure. I think this is legible
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline snugerud

• League Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 02:02:37 PM »
on a completely separate topic,,, Fantrax is on the ball this year and you can already renew for next season.  They have also added some awesome goodies this year.  (At least for me) I have a premium membership league and you can now assess cap hits right on the team pages, its also automated,, you can set the percentages for the types of contracts. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline dedreger

• All-Star
    • :NYR:
    • :Illinois:
    • :BVB:
    • :WAS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 02:05:11 PM »
Put me down as sharing the concern that too much available cap space sloshing around the league is probably a bad thing but I would suggest going a little easy on the "corrections" to avoid over-correcting.   I gather that we're somewhat tracking the real life NHL cap, with a year lag?  It's been widely reported that the real-life 2015-2016 NHL salary cap might even go down because of CAD-USD exchange rate issues affecting the revenue calculation and the NHLPA possibly choosing not to invoke the right to a 5% escalator (to limit the escrow payments that players hate to see coming out of their paychecks).   Maybe wait on an announcement of the real-life 2015-16 cap before doing anything too drastic?

Just my two cents.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline snugerud

• League Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 02:10:51 PM »
I was just going to say that last years free agency was a bit of an anomaly due to the cap going down so part of your roster woes was due to the drop. 

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline Rob

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 10:21:38 AM »
on a completely separate topic,,, Fantrax is on the ball this year and you can already renew for next season.  They have also added some awesome goodies this year.  (At least for me) I have a premium membership league and you can now assess cap hits right on the team pages, its also automated,, you can set the percentages for the types of contracts.

Fantrax gets better and better every year.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline snugerud

• League Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 02:00:45 PM »
Fantrax gets better and better every year.

yup, it does.  I just hope they dont increase their costs again or i am going to regret not buying the lifetime membership last year.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline snugerud

• League Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 02:09:43 PM »
Bullet Point Preface To Fix Cap:
  • Too much cap space ruins free agency
  • I like to tinker
  • Have a minimum contract signing of 500k (excluding prospects)
  • Prospects count 500k when on NHL roster
  • Maybe raise defenseman salaries a bit
  • Reduce the extension of prospects from 5 years to 3
  • Get rid of free buyouts of contracts under 1m

I'm looking around trying to scope out the free agent market, and there isn't one.  Basically every single team will be able to retain their UFA with ease.  Maybe the only team that will have difficulty is the Coyotes.  I was a big proponent of reducing D-man salaries to make what they earn more commiserate with how they produce in fantasy terms, but now that has left a gaping hole that kind of ruins free agency.  When we started and had to deal with the real life terrible contracts from the NHL it resulted in good fantasy free agents being snapped up at a bargain. It made sense back then to reduce the D-man salaries, so guys like Jason Spezza were not contracted for 2m a season.  I think bumping their salaries back up a bit might be what we need. 
As well as getting rid of 200k contracts, no more free buyouts under 1m.  The NHL minimum salary is 550k, so we could make ours 500k.  Might make 1m of difference for each team, but it is something. 
I like our prospects getting signed at a discounted rate, as that acts like the current "bridge contract" theme in the NHL, but we might want to bring the number of years down to 3 instead of 5. 
We have almost no bad contracts because we pay what the players earn.  Hartnell and Neal are guys that are over priced, but that is pretty much it.

I do disagree with one thing in this which is getting rid of the free buyouts.  scooping the wire is the one thing that keeps me engaged all season.  Getting rid of the free buyout limit would heavily reduced the ability to take some flyers on players. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: Braves155 post it
    June 15, 2024, 08:11:03 PM
  • Daddy: If you like fantasy sports but all you do is read the chat. You got no clue what you are missing out on.
    June 15, 2024, 08:13:21 PM
  • Daddy: We are why you bothered to try fantasy sports. We give you everything you need here to live out your dynastic fantasy dreams. Against real world wide competition.
    June 15, 2024, 08:14:32 PM
  • Braves155: Nice dealing Brian, posted
    June 15, 2024, 08:22:53 PM
  • indiansnation: Still looking to make trades in mlb live if anyone is up for it
    June 15, 2024, 11:45:44 PM
  • Daddy: Im looking for an SP. We all value pitching in LIVE.
    June 16, 2024, 12:01:51 AM
  • Daddy: Bradish! :soapbox: your elbow may cost me everything.
    June 16, 2024, 12:02:55 AM
  • indiansnation: Man thats gotta suck
    June 16, 2024, 12:41:47 AM
  • indiansnation: i think i mentioned that to u daddy u lack debth in sp
    June 16, 2024, 12:42:27 AM
  • indiansnation: Looking to trade in mlb live
    June 16, 2024, 12:45:05 AM
  • Daddy: Shut up Brian
    June 16, 2024, 01:32:49 AM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for a few hours for any trade talk
    June 16, 2024, 02:15:20 AM
  • indiansnation: Happy fathers day
    June 16, 2024, 07:26:56 AM
  • indiansnation: Morning dave w jimw
    June 16, 2024, 08:22:53 AM
  • indiansnation: Nhllive pittsburgh has 5th rd pick and 4th rd pick in 2025 to move
    June 16, 2024, 08:23:54 AM
  • indiansnation: Looking for guys with upside def and rw
    June 16, 2024, 08:24:28 AM
  • DaveW: Happy Father’s Day everyone
    June 16, 2024, 10:40:13 AM
  • indiansnation: Looking to aquire more vets in mlb live
    June 16, 2024, 12:59:03 PM
  • Daddy: Happy Father's Day (shot out to @papps/@jojowalkwalk)
    June 16, 2024, 01:30:04 PM
  • dbreer23: Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!
    June 16, 2024, 01:32:16 PM
  • indiansnation: Kylerap pm
    June 16, 2024, 01:55:51 PM
  • indiansnation: Happy fathers day daddy and everyone
    June 16, 2024, 01:56:27 PM
  • STLBlues91: Im around all day for any trade talk
    June 16, 2024, 02:46:16 PM
  • Braves155: Sme here
    June 16, 2024, 05:00:25 PM
  • Braves155: PM Daddy
    June 16, 2024, 05:12:05 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Got a 5th round pick im gonna be selling in NFL Live 5.12. As well as CB/S Caden Sterns. I need the roster space. Hit me up
    June 16, 2024, 05:57:09 PM
  • Daddy: Caden Sterns still do that thing on XM radio? Thats a sweet deal he got.
    June 16, 2024, 06:24:08 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Anyone seem or heard
    June 16, 2024, 07:40:27 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: *Anyone seen or heard from Billy recently?
    June 16, 2024, 07:40:44 PM
  • indiansnation: No
    June 16, 2024, 07:47:45 PM
  • indiansnation: Looking to trade in any league
    June 16, 2024, 07:48:14 PM
  • indiansnation: 2:15PM: The Dodgers announced this afternoon that they’ve placed right-hander Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the 15-day injured list with triceps tightness. The club also placed right-hander Michael Grove on the 15-day injured list due to lat tightness. In corresponding moves, the club has recalled right-hander J.P. Feyereisen and selected the contract of right-hander Michael Petersen. To make room for Petersen on the 40-man roster, the Dodgers transferred right-hander Joe Kelly to the 60-day injured list.
    June 16, 2024, 09:21:38 PM
  • indiansnation: Mookie Betts was hit on the left hand by a Dan Altavilla fastball today, causing Betts to drop to the ground in immediate pain and then leave the game.  Dodgers manager Dave Roberts told reporters (including Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times) after the game that Betts has a fractured bone in the hand and will be out of action “for some time,” though the former AL MVP won’t require surgery.
    June 16, 2024, 09:22:45 PM
  • indiansnation: Pk tell me if im wrong but its seems more players our injured this year then this time last year
    June 16, 2024, 09:24:33 PM
  • Daddy: Welcome back
    Yesterday at 06:58:55 AM
  • indiansnation: Good to see it back up
    Yesterday at 07:01:07 AM
  • Braves155: RIP Willie Mays
    Yesterday at 09:07:14 AM
  • dbreer23: Sorry to hear that Colby, and thanks!
    Yesterday at 01:37:23 PM
  • Daddy: I hope everyone is having a great day. Time to get the machine back rolling.
    Yesterday at 01:42:24 PM
  • Daddy: MLB Owners [link] mlb daily lineups & fantasy advice.
    Yesterday at 02:10:38 PM
  • Daddy: NFL Owners [link] up to date nfl depth charts & analysis.
    Yesterday at 02:12:26 PM
  • Daddy: NHL Owners [link] latest hockey line depth charts & strategies.
    Yesterday at 02:13:58 PM
  • Daddy: NBA Owners [link] off-season tracker, hoops related rumors.
    Yesterday at 02:59:20 PM
  • Brent: The Green looks good.
    Yesterday at 03:09:59 PM
  • Daddy: Just means im old & decaying
    Yesterday at 03:25:42 PM
  • STLBlues91: Im around the rest of the day for any trade talk
    Yesterday at 04:49:12 PM
  • Daddy: ProFsl news feed [link] provided by Rotowire is a 24 hour breaking sports news feed of a major online media outlet.
    Yesterday at 10:26:37 PM
  • Daddy: ProFsl is the home of LIVE Dynasty Sports powered by Fantrax.
    Yesterday at 10:28:16 PM
  • Daddy: Welcome to The Big Show
    Yesterday at 10:28:34 PM
  • Daddy: ProFsl league openings can be found here [link] (sign up) availability in any league is extremely limited.
    Today at 12:40:47 AM