Author Topic: Analyzing the Hiring Process  (Read 8455 times)

joeshmoe

Re: Analyzing the Hiring Process
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2011, 12:19:34 PM »
I get the logic, but in saying that you want the Padres in the 1st place, there is a responsibility to that.  You could have said, no I want to wait on a better opening.  I understand not waiting and jumping in, but there is a responsibility to the league when you say I will take on the Padres.  Some GMs fail on following through on this responsibility and therefore are no longer in the league. 

Just the other side of the coin.

Exactly why there is a system already in place for this.  A GM must be with a team for so long before they can swap teams.  This establishes whether or not an owner will be good for the league or not.  My obligation to the Padres was to fill the team for a season, which I did.  If I fail to do this I would truly not be worthy of a new opening, yes.  But our policies currently in place, do in fact police this issue. 

You cannot be disagreeing with me, that good teams = good gms and bad teams = bad gms.  Not logical.  I will not accept that as a premise for any argument.

Furthermore; and follow me here.

I take the Yankees, person John Doe takes the Padres.  Within the first month (most likely days after), John Doe doesn't show up here at ProFSL and leaves the Padres needing a new GM.  I must then vacate the Yankees position to return to SD.  We now have the same issue, a team, the Yankees, without an active and good (which is subjective) owner.  Does it matter which team is unfilled?  NO.  Certainly we would rather have the good team being played, and the bad team being left to wait for an owner; if it mattered at all. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:25:13 PM by joeshmoe »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2011, 12:21:11 PM »
I have no plans on switching anytime soon.  I am committed to re-building the Orioles and turning them into a contending franchise.  However I would like the option in the future to move to a different team if being the GM of the Orioles becomes stagnant and uninteresting to me.

You can but there are none allowed within the time frame.  It's in the rules.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2011, 12:23:19 PM »
Okay maybe the commish can send out a private message and anyone who is interested can put their name in for consideration.  I have a hard time excepting that Tenure should be the ultimate deciding factor.  I think it should be considered but not the only reason a decision is made.  I think a GM's credentials, favorite team, activity in the league, should all be considered to help find the person who is the best fit for the team.  This is a large 30 team league with a few memebers who will never leave.  With the top 5-10 members getting the chance to move first just for the reason of being here first I may never get a chance to move to a different team.

Well tbh, if I put in the time to be here for a long time, I'd want the choice to move first.  I'd have earned it.  And, if I didn't move after say 5 years, I probably will not do it, but if I want to I should be able to.  Maybe tenure with your current club should be the deciding factor. 

Favorite team should play NO part in deciding if you should get a team over somebody else.  It is merely a logo.  The financial aspect and player roster are way more important.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline OUDAN

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :DAL:
    • :LAL:
    • :Blank:
    • :Oklahoma:
    • :NYY:
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2011, 12:28:03 PM »
i have no problem stepping aside im not into leagues with all this tension i wanna have friendly competition. i dont know any of u or this league yet so just let me know
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"People don't know what it means to be champions, Oklahoma invented it."
-Barry "The King" Switzer

"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
-Coach Taylor

I hated every moment of training but I said, "Don't quit, Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a Champion."
-Mohammed Ali

:win: 2014 FGM Champ
:win: 2015 Moneyball Champ
:win: 2015 Bush League Champ

joeshmoe

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2011, 12:33:08 PM »
i have no problem stepping aside im not into leagues with all this tension i wanna have friendly competition. i dont know any of u or this league yet so just let me know

This is a discussion about fundamentals.  We should conduct business in a similar manner every time we do it.  There should be no backroom discussions about hiring before we have an internal hiring process first.  I stand by that conviction.

Principally, because you were given the position and you have become invested, you should be the Yankees GM as you were hired to be.  Welcome to this league and good luck.  Watch out for those Padres they're a rowdy bunch.   :thumbsup:

Back to the point though.  Can we all agree, future hiring should be done with everybody knowing.  Corey should have quit, gone to the Mets and left the Yankees position open to the internal group first.  Had the position been left open, then we could have offered it to LTD...in the future of course.  Or even throw his name in amongst the internal candidates.  If he is truly worthy he will be hired no matter what.  I really think internal should have very first choice however. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr.TradeKing

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »
Chris,

There is a strong correlation between favorite team and GM's staying active. Another thing, is it really a good idea to have a GM switching back and forth between to teams because we can't find an active owner? Seems like that would just hurt both teams. Personally, I would rather of the Owner player with the bad team because the good team doesn't need as much attention. If a bad team is allowed to get worse then we will never find a replacement.

~MTK
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline shooter47

• MVP
    • :MIN-NFL:
    • :MIN-NBA:
    • :MIN-NHL:
    • :NorthDakotaState:
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »
Well tbh, if I put in the time to be here for a long time, I'd want the choice to move first.  I'd have earned it.  And, if I didn't move after say 5 years, I probably will not do it, but if I want to I should be able to.  Maybe tenure with your current club should be the deciding factor. 

Favorite team should play NO part in deciding if you should get a team over somebody else.  It is merely a logo.  The financial aspect and player roster are way more important.

I know I am new to the league and don't want to step on anyones toes who has been here a long time and invested time into this league.  I am a dedicated manager and will continue to be.  I think that the best GM for any open spots should be picked when GM's want to switch.  I don't think Tenure or any other criteria should be the end all solution for picking who gets to switch.  In the real life there isn't a waiting list or an order that GM's are picked in.  They have to interview for the spot and the franchise picks the person they think is the best fit for the current direction the franchise is moving in.  To get into the league I went up against another prospective GM and for whatever reason was chosen to be the person right for the job.

I believe that favorite teams should be considered slightly but not to any extreme.  I would feel more passionate bringing a title to the Twins franchise then the Orioles because they are my favorite team in real life.  I agree that it shouldnt be the only reason though.  If two GM's both want the job and have similar resumes (tenure, winning, building good teams are all the same) and one is a fan of that team in real life and one just wants the team because they are good how would you pick the GM for the job?  To me the person who is a fan in real life would be the better fit for the team.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2011, 12:43:19 PM »
Chris,

There is a strong correlation between favorite team and GM's staying active.
Another thing, is it really a good idea to have a GM switching back and forth between to teams because we can't find an active owner? Seems like that would just hurt both teams. Personally, I would rather of the Owner player with the bad team because the good team doesn't need as much attention. If a bad team is allowed to get worse then we will never find a replacement.

~MTK

It certainly is a good theory, but it fails.  I can be a perfect example.  I have no affinity to the Padres or a single player on the roster.  I am a Sox die hard.  Most of their players are simply unattainable with my roster and cap space.  Does that mean I am not going to be active?  No.  Does it mean that a bad owner in general should be enticed to the league because their favorite team is open?  No.  Does a good team = a good owner?  No.  Does attractiveness to an outsider play any part?  No.  I have answered all these questions in my posts.  Feel free to read them, but it is not fruitful to restate my opinions.  I have done so already. 

I can't tell if you think I'm supporting a GM switching back and forth.  I am against that.

I also do not believe it matters which team is open.  A good team with no owner = players which are unattainable and prized.  That would be bad for the league.  A bad team with no owner = draft choices and prospects on a roster that was going to lose games anyways while they wait to mature. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MillerTime

• Legend
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2011, 12:44:52 PM »
Exactly why there is a system already in place for this.  A GM must be with a team for so long before they can swap teams.  This establishes whether or not an owner will be good for the league or not.  My obligation to the Padres was to fill the team for a season, which I did.  If I fail to do this I would truly not be worthy of a new opening, yes.  But our policies currently in place, do in fact police this issue. 

You cannot be disagreeing with me, that good teams = good gms and bad teams = bad gms.  Not logical.  I will not accept that as a premise for any argument.

Furthermore; and follow me here.

I take the Yankees, person John Doe takes the Padres.  Within the first month (most likely days after), John Doe doesn't show up here at ProFSL and leaves the Padres needing a new GM.  I must then vacate the Yankees position to return to SD.  We now have the same issue, a team, the Yankees, without an active and good (which is subjective) owner.  Does it matter which team is unfilled?  NO.  Certainly we would rather have the good team being played, and the bad team being left to wait for an owner; if it mattered at all.

I am fine with all of this.  I was lobbing something out there, basically to show there is a simple solution.  The tweaking and getting it right will take discussion. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' - Homer Simpson

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
    • :ORL:
    • :TBL:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2011, 01:39:02 PM »
I may be bias, but I feel like the Braves are in the position they because of my trading/handling. I have a hard time believing that they would be in this position otherwise.

~MTK

Hey MTK,

(in my best Terrell Owens voice) We all know you love you some you!!! :rofl:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's not the deep water that drowns us...we die because we stop kicking.

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Jwalkerjr88: 3 out of the 4 starting QBs in the title games have been traded this offseason
    Yesterday at 11:14:21 PM
  • Daddy: I think i had him on a prospect deal.
    Yesterday at 11:14:22 PM
  • Daddy: It helps just to fill up your roster and sign good contracts. If you dont know crap but keep a full roster and manage finances, you will kick ass.
    Yesterday at 11:15:26 PM
  • Daddy: I wasnt a genius signing Kuechel. I was just filling an empty spot. I got rewarded with the best pitcher in baseball for a few seasons.
    Yesterday at 11:16:59 PM
  • Braves155: I love it when one of your Dynasty teams you've been rebuilding starts showing up and being competitive early in the season. Especially in baseball
    Yesterday at 11:19:42 PM
  • Brent: Agreed.  I'm decent at building, but I need to get better st winning.  I did win an offsite 32-team football league, it only took me 1.5 season to rebuild and win.
    Yesterday at 11:25:50 PM
  • Daddy: Thats what you should be doing @Brent. LIVE sharpens those skills so you can go elsewhere and dominate unsuspecting leagues.
    Today at 12:01:29 AM
  • Daddy: I use the same screen name on every site. So the sites I'm visiting/competing, know who is putting foots to them.
    Today at 12:02:47 AM
  • Daddy: And they know where they can find me. Along with the growing list of LIVE GMs who would put more foots to them.
    Today at 12:03:48 AM
  • Daddy: If "Daddy" appears on your site. He wears a size 13 and you know it.
    Today at 12:04:44 AM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Today at 09:13:06 AM
  • Brent: Driving to Disney today.  I'll check PMs when I can.
    Today at 10:00:49 AM
  • Braves155: Responded indiansnation
    Today at 11:01:14 AM
  • indiansnation: Jealker pm
    Today at 11:19:23 AM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Back brian
    Today at 11:20:22 AM
  • indiansnation: Jwalker pm
    Today at 11:20:55 AM
  • indiansnation: Jimw pm
    Today at 11:50:01 AM
  • indiansnation: Back at u jwalker
    Today at 11:50:44 AM
  • Daddy: NFL trades never seem to stop.
    Today at 12:59:59 PM
    Today at 01:26:00 PM
  • indiansnation: Colts looking for a couple te and starting rb in nfl live
    Today at 01:27:34 PM
  • indiansnation: Willing to move draft picks in right deal for starting te and starting rb
    Today at 01:42:27 PM
  • Braves155: MLB LIVE - If anyone has a decent 3B they'll deal, hmu.
    Today at 01:57:55 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: MLB LIVE the giants have struck a deal w the padres
    Today at 02:22:22 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: which is nowposted
    Today at 02:22:29 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the day for any talks
    Today at 02:26:26 PM
  • Daddy: Blues pm
    Today at 02:56:24 PM
  • Daddy: Congratulations to all you guys finding and making all these trades in both NFL & MLB
    Today at 02:56:48 PM
  • Daddy: Yall keep an old man busy thats for sure
    Today at 02:57:02 PM
  • Daddy: Trade talks for breakfast are nice. There are more talks than deals and look at the deals.
    Today at 02:58:59 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i love it dealing for a position that tends to be scarce in mlb is huge
    Today at 03:05:52 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: especially in LIVE
    Today at 03:06:00 PM
  • Daddy: Trade talks heated up in NFL out of the blue. Its surprising to trade all year round in football.
    Today at 03:07:41 PM
  • Daddy: MLB i get it. Its an active ongoing season.
    Today at 03:08:13 PM
  • Daddy: The NBA, NHL & especially NFL. To have that kind of momentum is encouraging.
    Today at 03:09:01 PM
  • indiansnation: Jwalker pm
    Today at 03:11:04 PM
    Today at 03:11:08 PM
  • Braves155: Willing to take offers on Giolito in MLB LIVE if anyone interested in him for prospects
    Today at 03:14:33 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Back brian
    Today at 03:26:29 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Back again
    Today at 03:35:12 PM
  • Daddy: This is crazy. Im trying to set up this basketball league but trade trade trade pms all over. Its a good problem to have. Who is making the next deal???
    Today at 03:35:19 PM
  • Braves155: I'm around for talks all today
    Today at 03:39:55 PM
  • Daddy: @Braves is always looking. Aint worried about you answering pms.
    Today at 03:42:15 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Back to you as well @Braves. Missed your latest pm
    Today at 03:45:31 PM
  • Braves155: Replied Jwalker
    Today at 04:04:49 PM
  • STLBlues91: Sorry had lunch real quick replying to all now
    Today at 04:10:05 PM
  • indiansnation: Stlblues91 pm
    Today at 04:12:31 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Today at 04:19:06 PM
  • indiansnation: Colts looking to move 2 1st rd picks and a 2nd rd pick in 2025  for a starting rb and starting te
    Today at 04:22:16 PM
  • Daddy: ^^what he said
    Today at 04:24:45 PM