Author Topic: The saga of an invalidated trade  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Flash

• *ProFSL Staff
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 319
    • :SFO:
    • :GS:
    • :SJ:
    • :California:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :SF:
    • View Profile
Re: The saga of an invalidated trade
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 03:38:29 AM »
By the way, to make clear we are on the same page, I sent a final offer to Vols. Vols had not accepted it. I was waiting for his response. Apparently he tried to log when the server was down. Apparently, he did not have time to return until two mins before the deadline. At that time I am already asleep, thinking Vols simply did not intend to accept the offer. It is not that we had both agreed upon the deal and 'forgotten to post it'. It is just that we were at a point where me posting that trade would had been spam.  I think there is no reason to believe that a trade that is posted by one of the parts is not an already agreed upon trade. If it were, the other person could simply deny it and be done with that. But if the other person is confirming it, clearly the agreement had occurred beforehand and the deal already exists.

Was a final offer sent to the Rays GM?  I know that's what you're saying, but that's not what I gather from the trade rationale that was posted.  Just to be clear, here's what was posted:

This deal was offered via a PM a few days ago and completely forgot about/lost/buried until the last hour.  Held out until last minute to see if Daniel would be able to respond for certainty.  Wanted to get this posted with the full understanding that Daniel has full right to not accept this deal, as the PM was not an official offer, but close enough that I wanted to get this posted in case the offer was official.  Daniel and Toronto to confirm if they so choose.

I did not make up the part about the trade being forgotten, I gathered that from the initial post.  From his posted trade rationale I see that the Rays GM "Held out until last minute to see if Daniel would be able to respond for certainty."  Yet you say you made a final offer to him and went to sleep waiting for him to accept.  It would seem that the Rays GM did everything he could to finalize negotiations with you, but you never confirmed anything.  I'm not making that up or twisting anyone's words, it's right there in his trade rationale.  He is so unsure of the trade that he points out "the PM was not an official offer" and he even gives you an out by saying you don't have to accept it.  Clearly, this trade was not formalized at the time the Rays posted it and server issues aside, it is pretty clear that negotiations went on earlier in the week and could have been finalized and posted--but the two of you never really came to any sort of final agreement.

No one is proposing that trade offers be negotiated on the board or posted before the two parties finalize the terms.  All of us negotiate via PM, messenger, or e-mail--sometimes with multiple parties involving the same players.  However, in the years I have been in this league, I cannot remember anyone putting forth the argument that a trade was legal before there was confirmation from both parties.  In some cases it takes a few minutes and in some cases it takes a few days, and most of the time it doesn't matter because most of the time we can do things at our leisure.  But when there is a deadline, it means there is a cutoff point and things have to be consummated before that deadline passes--otherwise there is no point in having a deadline.

When you say, "It is clear to me that if a trade is posted on the boards it is because there is already a verbal agreement in place."; what is clear to me is that that there was no verbal agreement in place between the two of you because both of you state you were waiting for the other to confirm.  That miscommunication led to the trade being invalidated and it's hard to accept because nobody likes to miss out on something because we missed a deadline.   

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 03:40:44 AM by Flash »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 2021 FGM World Series Champion - :SF:
🏆 2017 WCB2 World Series Champion - :SD:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Mt West Champion :UNLV:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Big 10 Champion -  :Nebraska:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Pac-12 Champion :California:

Offline Daniel

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :LAL:
    • :LA:
    • :UCLA:
    • :LIV:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 03:11:04 AM »
I think what Vols meant with that phrase was that so much time had elapsed that he wanted to confirm the offer still stood before posting it. I did not sent that offer the day of the deadline, and I had not forgotten about it. I had sent it several days before and he had failed to confirm because he forgot. I was just waiting from confirmation from him, but from my side the offer was delivered as set. That is why I am saying that once it was posted it was agreed upon.

'Alex Jackson, Tim Beckham and Darin Ruf (getting rid of his contract is a must to make it an even deal because VMart is no more than a rental for me, as I have no cap to resign him). Oh and I would need you to pay the difference on VMart this year since I have no cap room'

This was my PM to him. It pretty clearly says the terms of the offer that was posted. No modifications that would had needed further confirmation.

So, all in all, if he had forgotten and remembered just in time for the deadline, it sucks that it took so long, but it should still be valid as there was an agreement in place by that time.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Franchise GM: Toronto Blue Jays

Offline Flash

• *ProFSL Staff
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 319
    • :SFO:
    • :GS:
    • :SJ:
    • :California:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :SF:
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 05:20:40 AM »
I think what Vols meant with that phrase was that so much time had elapsed that he wanted to confirm the offer still stood before posting it. I did not sent that offer the day of the deadline, and I had not forgotten about it. I had sent it several days before and he had failed to confirm because he forgot. I was just waiting from confirmation from him, but from my side the offer was delivered as set. That is why I am saying that once it was posted it was agreed upon.

'Alex Jackson, Tim Beckham and Darin Ruf (getting rid of his contract is a must to make it an even deal because VMart is no more than a rental for me, as I have no cap to resign him). Oh and I would need you to pay the difference on VMart this year since I have no cap room'

This was my PM to him. It pretty clearly says the terms of the offer that was posted. No modifications that would had needed further confirmation.

So, all in all, if he had forgotten and remembered just in time for the deadline, it sucks that it took so long, but it should still be valid as there was an agreement in place by that time.

In your confirmation reply, posted some 15 hours later, didn't you say: "Sorry, I had forgotten to post it too."?  Why play the blame game and put it on the Rays?  Is that really necessary?  Seems like he was the one who was trying to salvage the situation.  He forgot, you forgot, he was waiting for you to confirm, you were waiting for him to confirm--it all comes down to one thing--you missed the deadline--plain and simple.  I agree with you, "it sucks", but you need to accept some responsibility here.  There was a posted deadline, and for whatever reason, you missed it.

From your perspective, you had a deal, but apparently from the Rays GM's perspective, you did not.  What else can be said?  It's unfortunate, and I'm sorry it played out the way it has, but it's time to move on.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 2021 FGM World Series Champion - :SF:
🏆 2017 WCB2 World Series Champion - :SD:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Mt West Champion :UNLV:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Big 10 Champion -  :Nebraska:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Pac-12 Champion :California:

Offline Daniel

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :LAL:
    • :LA:
    • :UCLA:
    • :LIV:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 01:00:30 AM »
Whatever. If I posted that was because I did not want to contradict Vols's story at the time. We clearly had a deal and he posted before the deadline. It really sucks that this league has lost its comprehensiveness. But whatever, really.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Franchise GM: Toronto Blue Jays

Corey

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 11:38:59 AM »
I have locked the original thread concerning this issue because things have gotten out of control.  I'm not here to defend what we do or tell you we're doing the best we can.  However, it's time to step back and look beyond our emotions.

My ascension to the role of Co-Commissioner is not uncommon throughout the vast array of ProFSL leagues--someone comes up with a idea for a league, writes up some rules, recruits some members, gets the league in motion and then leaves or asks someone else to take over because they have something else to do.  The problem with that scenario is that sometimes things get a little lax and new leaders find themselves overextended or overwhelmed and they begin to let things slide.

Please don't think for a minute I am casting stones at my predecessors--for I am not.  As a Co-Commissioner, I'll be the first to admit there are times when I could have done things differently.  During a Rules Committee discussion, joeshmoe reminded me of the importance of sticking to the issues and not letting it sink to a level of personal attacks.  Although that pronouncement was like a slap in the face, he was right and it has served as a reminder that I need to control my emotions.

Unfortunately, my lack of foresight has put my Co-Commissioner in a bad situation.  One of the goals we have set for ourselves as leaders is to be more consistent in our rules enforcement.  We have tweaked some rules for the betterment of the league, gotten rid of others, and tried to effectively utilize the ones we have in place.  Common sense should have told me that allowing a trade to be posted at 11:58 pm without confirmation from both teams was only going to cause trouble.  I ruled it to be invalid at first and then changed my mind and let it stand.  I was wrong.  I was wrong because I failed to really look at why it was being posted so late.  It had nothing to do with a server problem because both GMs readily admit to negotiating the trade earlier in the week and simply failing to post it.  Extending the trade deadline was really not pertinent in this case because both trading partners were guilty of something that hurts us all once in awhile--forgetfulness.

Is a lost trade really a tipping point?  Over the years I have had things overturned because they were against the rules--and yes, I felt like quitting--but I thought about it and came to grips with the fact that I am not above the rules and that their application was not something I should take so personal.  This, of course, applies to me and is intended to illustrate my perspective and is not a characterization of anyone in FGM.

I guess this invalidated trade is in fact the tipping point for the Rays GM.  Earlier in the discussion he declared that at the of the season he would be resigning from the league--with the qualifier that it would give us time to find a replacement.  Honoring that would clearly put the new GM at a disadvantage and it is not a request that can be deemed acceptable. 

I do not want the Rays GM, or anyone else, to quit.  I think things were said and feelings were hurt, but when things stop being fun, then I guess it's time to move on.  As a Co-Commissioner do I get any special joy out of telling people no or  getting called out? Do I like being portrayed as a dictator or as a rigid, archaic leader?  Does it make me feel good when I'm bashed for enforcing the rules?  Of course not?  But I know it comes with the territory and sometimes, as my colleague reminded me, I have to play Joe Friday and stick to the facts.  I stepped up as a leader of this league and do not apologize for it.  Whether anyone can see it or not, I'm continually looking for ways to improve things, and I believe in the value of rules and their uniform application.

I'm sorry for the grief that has evolved from this invalidated trade, but make no mistake about it, no one is being forced out.  A resignation in anger is still a resignation, and unfortunately, it's something I have to deal with.  I wish I didn't have to, but I do, and I will have to find a replacement GM for the Rays.

Please note:  Since the Rays GM has announced that his resignation is immediate, I am going to have to remove any players he put on waivers.

Well said Ernie. The joys of running leagues for the enjoyment of others :)

All said I think everyone understands that a lot time and commitment goes into running a league. Ernie, I am glad you and Rick took control of FGM or we would not be were we are today.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: I'm all about adding better prospects to my team in long run
    Yesterday at 12:17:05 AM
  • indiansnation: I am the biggest nerd when it comes to milb prospects their is like another 100 prospects in mlb i could add right know in heartbeat. My luttle time im off from work I spend hours looking at specs.
    Yesterday at 12:23:33 AM
  • indiansnation: If u look at everybody in mlb live prospect wise is killing it in minors. Im about done with adding my specs in mlb live and then start working on nfl live and and nhl live.
    Yesterday at 12:25:51 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: niners could still be interested in adding players. believ i have  abt 4 picks in 2025 that i can maybe use in trade depending on deal
    Yesterday at 12:30:57 AM
  • dbreer23: "Im about done with adding my specs in mlb live" - I'll believe that when...well, never!
    Yesterday at 01:02:58 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: lmaoo way to contradict brian
    Yesterday at 01:10:09 AM
  • Daddy: Agreed
    Yesterday at 01:10:16 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i had room in my farm so i figured i fill it some
    Yesterday at 01:10:20 AM
  • Daddy: I dont mind activity. Especially with purpose. Brian needs hockey to start.
    Yesterday at 01:11:26 AM
  • Daddy: Its been so long since ive done a hockey league and ive fallen behind a bit in the sport because of that. This year hockey is back in my life for good.
    Yesterday at 01:12:42 AM
  • Daddy: @Brian we have a 60 player minor league limit. All of our guys on each team should be killing it in the minors. Sign guys you believe in. Then let them develop.
    Yesterday at 01:21:47 AM
  • Daddy: Everytime a guy is hitting .400 at Corpus Christi that doesn't make him Ted Williams.
    Yesterday at 01:26:13 AM
  • Daddy: None of these dudes are gonna help you avoid datazzwhupin im putting on you this week. Reap the whirlwind Brian. Reap it.
    Yesterday at 01:29:07 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: is this reference to guys i added?
    Yesterday at 01:29:55 AM
  • Daddy: You sir... No. Football is our battle ground. Im talking about Mr. 189 minor league nerd that TEXTED me he was gon whoop me this week.
    Yesterday at 01:34:21 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: hahahah ok
    Yesterday at 01:35:38 AM
  • indiansnation: Daddy is going down by guardians in mlb live.
    Yesterday at 01:40:26 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey colts in nfl live looking to move qb russel Wilson looking for draft picks in return.
    Yesterday at 01:43:08 PM
  • Daddy: That is a great trade in MLB. Most trades are great but few are star worthy. Congratulations to both GMs!
    Yesterday at 04:19:40 PM
  • Daddy: Isaac Coffey will be a FA again in 72 hours.
    Yesterday at 04:21:55 PM
  • OUDAN: CCD guys lets deal!!!!
    Yesterday at 04:44:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: prolly will be yes daddy
    Yesterday at 04:55:56 PM
  • Daddy: As long as both owners are happy @BAB and they both seem very happy.
    Yesterday at 05:41:23 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: yeah i hear ya
    Yesterday at 06:02:44 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: has CCD been active
    Yesterday at 06:07:28 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: havent really checked that one much
    Yesterday at 06:07:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: been focused on LIVE
    Yesterday at 06:07:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the night for trade talks in any league
    Yesterday at 07:19:35 PM
  • Brent: CCD is very active on the Discord Channel.
    Yesterday at 07:55:50 PM
  • Braves155: Evening gents
    Yesterday at 07:57:35 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: evening
    Yesterday at 08:03:53 PM
  • Braves155: Will be on for a portion of the evening
    Yesterday at 08:10:39 PM
  • Braves155: Been starting to get into these older games that originally ran off DOSBOX for those who know what I'm talking about. The idea is you build your team with a salary of XXX and then every 2-3 seasons you have decisions to make. Field a 26 man roster, control your own pitching rotation, pen, lineup & bench like the true MLB. Draft every season where there's a lot of turnover. Interesting for sure.
    Yesterday at 08:15:28 PM
  • Braves155: PM Jwalk (Jets)
    Yesterday at 08:30:58 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: idsjayhawk replied
    Yesterday at 08:34:31 PM
  • Braves155: PM Professor Dan
    Yesterday at 09:19:27 PM
  • Daddy: Let that Man go on vacation. :rofl:
    Yesterday at 09:27:13 PM
  • Daddy: He had earned this getaway. His computer has earned it.
    Yesterday at 09:28:07 PM
  • Braves155: NEVER!!
    Yesterday at 09:28:29 PM
  • Braves155: You mean 'getaway' from 100 prospect posts/week from our Brian?
    Yesterday at 09:29:17 PM
  • Braves155: Any LIVE deal talks? Hmu
    Yesterday at 09:38:00 PM
  • Daddy: He ain't the only one brotha :)
    Yesterday at 09:40:48 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: dbreer deserves at least a hanfulof beers and margs
    Yesterday at 09:45:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: we put him through the ringer w the activity
    Yesterday at 09:45:54 PM
  • Rhino7: CCD has had a lot of trades lately
    Yesterday at 09:54:49 PM
  • Daddy: That's awesome!
    Yesterday at 10:06:13 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I've returned to fgm
    Today at 01:44:16 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Took over the team available
    Today at 01:44:26 AM
  • Daddy: Congratulations @BAB. FGM is well managed.
    Today at 02:28:01 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Yes I'm aware I had too much going on when I left after 2022 season. I'm back now for my second stint
    Today at 02:50:11 AM